Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E11: New York City of Dreams

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 5/23/2019 at 9:42 PM, jacksgirl said:

I was kind of hoping to flashback to Christian's prom challenge when he was a designer... He should have been sent home even though he was/is so talented. Didn't love Sebastian's color, but the dress was lovely. The preview scared me though.

If I remember, his  client was a pain in the ass, wanting to design the gown her self.  I felt bad for him.  And I think she even threw him under the bus.  Wonder how she feels now, seeing his great success?

Jamal's dress looked like it had sleeves hanging under her armpits.  It reminded me of some of the dresses that women sue about on Judge Judy and People's Court. I know I would sue for my money back   if I ordered a custom made dress and was given that.

Tessa's dress looked stupid with those rings hanging off.  Plus being a color her client didn't want.  

Hester's dress looked like a hot mess in the back.

Glad that Sebastian won.  That dress was gorgeous!

Edited by howiveaddict
  • Love 7
20 hours ago, dleighg said:

The OCD people among us might write it as an algebra problem. But the more practical way is to "try something" and then iterate. I think that's they way the teacher was trying to get the kids to think, since most of us out in real life don't write down algebra problems. (I'm an engineer so I tend toward the OCD way, though I've seen this problem before so didn't need to). 

Yeah really.  I went right to

b + (b + 1) = 1.10 🙂

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, DAthene said:

...and now I shall pack up my soapbox and sit at my table for one.  

I also have a belly and having it "highlighted" would be a nightmare for me. There are way better ways to make a "curvy" woman look nice. She had a lovely bust-- focus on that!

• Love 13
42 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:
55 minutes ago, DAthene said:

Two please.

Make that three

• Love 9
8 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Tessa should move to corporate America. She would thrive there.

I disagree unless she was hired in at the upper middle management level or higher. They can get away in a lot of corporate America. However, if she was hired in at a lower level, she would not make it far - corporations require customers. Tessa would drive away customers as well as coworkers. JMHO

• Love 6
1 hour ago, DAthene said:

As my body shape is very close to Jamal’s model, all I was thinking was that if he made that for me, I would not have been able to go down the runway.  And if I did, it would be in tears.  

I am glad that young women are growing up in a society where we are starting to teach then to embrace whoever they are and whatever they look like.  However, in my mind, I would have died at not having sleeves, having something that amounted to a bright coral shrink wrap glued to my form ...and then had people effusively pity-praising my beauty.  Nope.  That was so clearly over the top, it was mortifying   And she is a beautiful woman  

I teach in super hot classrooms, no AC, and packed with over 30 bodies.  I won’t go sleeveless.  It’s too embarrassing.  And I’m not going to listen to embrace my curves.  I hate them.  

And if I was given an opportunity to have a dream dress made by someone who was custom designing it to hopefully flatter me, I don’t think I could be as gracious as that remarkable young woman.  

Both Tessa and Jamal should have been ripped apart by a pack of dingoes fir spoiling this special opportunity for their clients because they can’t see past their own self-indulged sense of their talent. 

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Two please.

49 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

Make that three

Table for four, please.

• Love 7

Other than Sebastian's client, I thought all the real world ladies were varying shades of disaster.  Garo's client had more attitude than the dress, and I think she, not Garo, is the reason the judges ate it up.   Tessa hacking away at her design was like watching someone botch an act of seppuku.   Christian's expression matched my own.

I don't like the real world challenges.  I watch these shitshows to escape the real world for a little while.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ashforth said:

To paraphrase Sheriff Brody in Jaws, "you're gonna need a bigger table."

I have always had "generous" upper arms, even when I was slender and working out. My late sister, who had the same attribute (thanks, genetics!), used to call them "country ham arms." God she was funny, I miss her.

My sympathy for Jamall's client runs deep. She deserved so much better.

I need a seat also. Thanks. 

• Love 3
On 5/25/2019 at 12:47 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

I think the only reason we don’t understand it more quickly is because we’re all more used to straightforward math: Sally spent $1.10 on a new bat and ball. The bat cost $1.05. How much did the ball cost?

That phrasing presents an arithmetic problem. The math problem presented on the show was an algebra problem. I don't think it's really a matter of straightforwardness as it is about any given individual's personal comfort level with different types of math. It's a very straightforward algebra question. Rewriting it as an arithmetic question gives away half the answer since the question was asking to solve for the cost of both items.

• Love 4
On 5/23/2019 at 9:28 PM, Rhetorica said:

Tessa over Jamal?  Oh Hell No!  

First time here. I came to cry about Tessa staying iver Jamal, yes Tess's dress looked better, but the construction was a mess, she ripped the skirt design off of another designer and she didn't give her client anything she wanted. The dress was have been poorly constructed and the shape sucked, but at least he tried, and he can take criticism in.

• Love 4
(edited)

Tessa should have been eliminated for committing THE Cardinal Sin of PR:

Having disdain for her client's wishes. 

An EMT who lives in a world of tragedy we can only imagine, wanted a dream dress of femininity, a pink confection, to dance and float above her daily reality, to walk her once upon a time runway while feeling and looking like a princess.

Tessa gave her black.

P. S. The mathematics question was simple. I mean, if you automatically answered "$.10" as the price of the ball,  you should also have immediately realized that the remaining $1.00 for the bat is only 90 cents more than a dime, and re-figured! Or was that just me? Haha!  

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 14
(edited)
18 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Tessa should have been eliminated for committing THE Cardinal Sin of PR:

Having disdain for her client's wishes. 

A policewoman who lives in a world of harshness and brutality we can only imagine, wanted a dream dress of femininity, a pink confection, to dance and float above her daily reality, to walk her once upon a time runway while feeling and looking like a princess.

Tessa gave her black.

So THIS ! I so want that Brandon makes her this dress (and I say Brandon, because he was vocal about this topic with Nina on Twitter) ! That would be AMAH'ZING !

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Love 8

So, what level of designer are we supposed to be looking at with these contestants?  Are they really able to make dream garments?  I ask because, there are garments that you can find off the rack occasionally, that fit you like a glove.  You know pretty quickly. You see it on the hanger and love it. Then, you slide it on and it fits perfectly.....the way it lays makes your hips look thinner, accentuates your best features, feels luxurious, the color is outstanding, and it's all around a great garment that becomes your favorite piece.  You feel confident, because, it's made for your body.  I'm trying to envision these contestants really doing that.  I know what a couple said, but,......IDK.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

For SunnyBeBe:

Some enchanted evening, you may see a hanger,

You may see a hanger that holds your perfect dress. 

And somehow you know, when you slide it on, 

The way it will lay---then your hips will be gone. 

😁

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, DAthene said:

As my body shape is very close to Jamal’s model, all I was thinking was that if he made that for me, I would not have been able to go down the runway.  And if I did, it would be in tears.  

I am glad that young women are growing up in a society where we are starting to teach then to embrace whoever they are and whatever they look like.  However, in my mind, I would have died at not having sleeves, having something that amounted to a bright coral shrink wrap glued to my form ...and then had people effusively pity-praising my beauty.  Nope.  That was so clearly over the top, it was mortifying   And she is a beautiful woman  

I teach in super hot classrooms, no AC, and packed with over 30 bodies.  I won’t go sleeveless.  It’s too embarrassing.  And I’m not going to listen to embrace my curves.  I hate them.  

And if I was given an opportunity to have a dream dress made by someone who was custom designing it to hopefully flatter me, I don’t think I could be as gracious as that remarkable young woman.  

Both Tessa and Jamal should have been ripped apart by a pack of dingoes fir spoiling this special opportunity for their clients because they can’t see past their own self-indulged sense of their talent. 

I think that will be a very packed table!

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

My mind immediately went to bat $1, ball .10 for the math question. How does Tessa expect to get clients if she tells them "I don't care what you want, I'm giving you what I like." Sure, people go to a particular designer because they like the aesthetic but that kind of attitude won't fly.

I'd love to see a Real Woman challenge that focuses on women with disabilities. Think wheelchairs and prosthetics. There are very few people actually designing for special needs out there

• Love 16
On 5/24/2019 at 9:38 PM, GoldaVining said:

Can you imagine how a few of these women felt after the runway? This is possibly their once chance to be on TV and have a designer custom make their dream dress and a couple of them will literally walk away with little more than rags in their hands. What an experience!

Goldavining mentioned she was waiting for  Brandon to say"come to my office and I will make you a dress" and I thought that was a wonderful idea.  The thrill of the show for them was so disappointing with Jamal and Tessa (of course, Tessa) and the offer of a replacement would have been heaven.   I remember what he/she wrote  because it was so insightful 

On 5/24/2019 at 9:38 PM, GoldaVining said:

Can you imagine how a few of these women felt after the runway? This is possibly their once chance to be on TV and have a designer custom make their dream dress and a couple of them will literally walk away with little more than rags in their hands. What an experience!

• Love 5
On 5/25/2019 at 5:24 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Yup. I got really annoyed this week when she wandered over to look at Sebastian's dress and said, "It's pretty, but it's not fashion."

Tessa consulting with her client:

Maria: I'm very girlie. Pink is my favorite color.
Tessa: My aesthetic as a designer is I typically design in blacks and greys.
Maria: ...I'm okay with grey and black.

On the runway:

Tessa: When we met and we discussed her dream dress, she didn't really have anything specific in mind except that she said she likes black and charcoal. She does not like dark blue, she does not like dark green, she does not like red, she does not like burgundy, she does not like purple.
Nina: But she said she liked pink.
Me: [cackling]

My 88 year old grandmother's favorite color is bright deep pink! Two women I know loved fuchsia pink so much (the bright kind, not the color that Hester chose for her client's dress) that they used it as their wedding color and had their bridesmaids wear fuchsia dresses. It was close to this color that Jessica Alba wore:

1564338068_jessicaalba.jpg.8182f2226687a6282d7cbc15c6437398.jpg

I think he really does have a time management problem, but I am also beginning to think that he just doesn't know how to set sleeves properly and that's why he is avoiding it.

I am a 76 year old grandmother and have always been told that "pink is your color", which I think has more to do with the tone of my skin than anything.  In my rebellious (boring) teenage years I refused to wear pink.   Before  and after that, I wore pink all the time.  Still do.  With no shame at all, Nina!!!      Love  Jessica Alba's dress above - sorry I don't go anywhere to wear it   LOL

• Love 11
On 5/25/2019 at 10:16 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

I think it was one bat, one ball. Total was $1.10. Bat cost one dollar more than the ball.

ball $.05

bat $1.05

—————

total  $1.10

This brought back so many insecurities about "word problems" in math for me.    I had hives when I heard it.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
On 5/26/2019 at 6:18 PM, DAthene said:

I will proudly share that table with you.    You were spot on about those two ungrateful people who got a chance for designing on TV, free publicity and a chance to do even better things....looking at you, Christian, for an example of how hard work and an opportunity taken works.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, ShawnaLanne said:

First time here. I came to cry about Tessa staying iver Jamal, yes Tess's dress looked better, but the construction was a mess, she ripped the skirt design off of another designer and she didn't give her client anything she wanted. The dress was have been poorly constructed and the shape sucked, but at least he tried, and he can take criticism in.

and if that was not enough to send her home, she is a lying liar who lies

• LOL 7
  • Love 7

Since episode 1, whenever I see Tessa, I immediately connect her with Haley of "American Dad".  Here's a capture of someone asking Tessa/Haley to make them a DRESS in something other than black or grey.

Haley American Dad.png

• LOL 11
(edited)

Bravo should rerun the season Christian was a contestant, now that he's holding the Gunn.

Wasn't he already running another atelier when he was on Proj Run? (the drunk nazi ranting in the Paris cafe?). Even though he was heads above others; was he as bad, bad, bad as Tessa is critiquing others' designs to their faces as they worked?

Correction: Apprenticed w/ V.Westwood  and A. McQueen

Edited by Eulipian 5k
Leave John Galliano alone!
  • Love 3
On 5/24/2019 at 12:07 PM, stormy weather said:

At this point I'm also afraid they let Jamal go instead of Tessa because otherwise there would only be one woman left in the competition, and in 2019 that's not a good thing.

Maybe this is the reason for all the Hester love? They need to have at least one female go to Fashion Week or there will be complaints. I just hope Tessa doesn't make it too. I can't stand her after her outright lies in this episode.

• Love 8

I agree with others that Tessa needs to just shut up.  She needs to learn to say "Thank you for the feedback." and nothing else.  Even if she disagrees, even if she thinks there's justification/explanation.  Even if you think you are benignly explaining  what you did and why you did it, it usually comes off as defending your choice - aka arguing with the judges.  And we know she's doing more than benignly explaining things. That said, I don't *hate* her, I just want her to shut up. 😄

The one thing I didn't like about Sebastian's dress was how much it blended into the woman's skin tone.  It just looked odd.  Plus I wouldn't call that color pink - maybe light peach? I don't know.  It does seems like a lot of colors were being called things I didn't agree with, like Jamal's "red" dress - now that was pink! Pepto Bismol pink, almost.  

• Love 5
(edited)
14 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

I agree with others that Tessa needs to just shut up.  She needs to learn to say "Thank you for the feedback." and nothing else.  Even if she disagrees, even if she thinks there's justification/explanation.  Even if you think you are benignly explaining  what you did and why you did it, it usually comes off as defending your choice - aka arguing with the judges.  And we know she's doing more than benignly explaining things. That said, I don't *hate* her, I just want her to shut up. 😄

One of my very first bosses (in the olden days LOL) used to say, "keep your ears open and your mouth closed." Words to live by.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 5
(edited)
22 minutes ago, LucindaWalsh said:

@Eulipian 5k Dumb question but is that Kate in the first picture? It is hard for me to tell.

It seems to me like the hostess/judge from ANTM, Ashley Graham, and is the "crusader in black" Meisha Brooks fr. Season 16? 

I don't think anyone this side of Frank Gehry could make those "tumbling hats", and he uses concrete and steel to keep his constructions aloft.

Edited by Eulipian 5k
'Zat choo Ashley!?

Even the color of Jamal's dress seemed wrong to me. The client said red, and that looked like coral/orange to me. When she was describing her dream dress in the initial consultation, she said a long red dress and I think she was picturing more of a true deep red. Or at least I was! I think most of the fabric these designers have picked all season has been ugly. 

• Love 6
On 5/28/2019 at 10:38 AM, Jsage said:

Maybe this is the reason for all the Hester love? They need to have at least one female go to Fashion Week or there will be complaints. I just hope Tessa doesn't make it too. I can't stand her after her outright lies in this episode.

I really hope not. I tgink it's because Hester's style, love it, hate it, or indifferent is cutting edge. I gear you cry, how can that be? But listen, my 12 year ild is obsessed with the Korean pop look, I see in 3 years elements of  her look being mainstream.

9 hours ago, Eulipian 5k said:

It seems to me like the hostess/judge from ANTM, Ashley Graham, and is the "crusader in black" Meisha Brooks fr. Season 16? 

I don't think anyone this side of Frank Gehry could make those "tumbling hats", and he uses concrete and steel to keep his constructions aloft.

The woman in the first photo is Tabria Majors. Christian tagged her in the pic..

12 hours ago, iggysaurus said:

Even the color of Jamal's dress seemed wrong to me. The client said red, and that looked like coral/orange to me. When she was describing her dream dress in the initial consultation, she said a long red dress and I think she was picturing more of a true deep red. Or at least I was! I think most of the fabric these designers have picked all season has been ugly. 

To me, Jamall's dress looked pink, but in the photos on the Bravo website, it looks red. The picture of Oprah posted above dramatically illustrates how different the color of her dress looks on the video monitor than "in person." 

Maybe Tessa's onto something with using black. heh

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, iggysaurus said:

I think most of the fabric these designers have picked all season has been ugly. 

I am constantly surprised at the fabric choices these designers make.  They are at one of the best fabric stores in the city and usually have a healthy enough budget but they choose the cheapest, tackiest fabrics available.  Christian really needs to get on them about that.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, ShawnaLanne said:

I really hope not. I tgink it's because Hester's style, love it, hate it, or indifferent is cutting edge. I gear you cry, how can that be? But listen, my 12 year ild is obsessed with the Korean pop look, I see in 3 years elements of  her look being mainstream.

But Hester's look ISN'T cutting edge.  It's a throwback to the 80s and 90s without the wit or imagination to make it fun or interesting.  Hester dresses to give the IMPRESSION of being cool without actually being cool.  Bishme IS cool.  Renee IS cool.  I'd even go so far to say that Garo can be cool.  Hester is the opposite of cool; she's desperate for attention.

• Love 18
9 hours ago, Marmiarmo said:

The woman in the first photo is Tabria Majors. Christian tagged her in the pic..

@Marmiarmo, Do you mean the woman in the black is the one tagged as Tabria M? (I don't have the tagged version of the photo).

4 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

But Hester's look ISN'T cutting edge.  It's a throwback to the 80s and 90s without the wit or imagination to make it fun or interesting.  Hester dresses to give the IMPRESSION of being cool without actually being cool.  Bishme IS cool.  Renee IS cool.  I'd even go so far to say that Garo can be cool.  Hester is the opposite of cool; she's desperate for attention.

That sums up kpop. 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Love 1

I'm late to the game, but I always wonder, in these "real women" challenges if the designers ask the clients how they want to look or what part of their bodies they want to highlight  -- I mean every single woman I know can say, I don't like to show my upper arms, or I like to emphasize my waist, or I'm not comfortable with strapless, or I love my legs but please don't emphasize my belly pooch, or whatever.  

It seems like the real women are only asked to give conceptual or emotional guidance.  And we know that most of these designers CANNOT look at a woman's figure and make decisions about how best to flatter it!

So you end up with the "curvier" women in misshapen sacks (like every single season!) because somehow the designers don't understand that they need structure in their garments -- especially if thereare no straps -- egad, I thought the poor woman was going to fall right out last week!

If ever there was a challenge where Stylist Marnie might have helped, this could have been it.

Also:  Wasn't it Tim Gunn who said that the challenges are won or lost in Mood?  Fabric choice for the type of garment you're designing is a very complicated thing and a lot of these designers are really bad at it.

• Love 6

A few random thoughts (before new episode airs because I'm running behind on all my shows) ...

On my TV I pegged Jamal's color as vermillion and Sebastian's color as a very pale peach. 

I'm wondering if we got an all-out Tessa Sucks blast tonight to take some of our (my) collective distaste for Hester down a notch and make her inevitable place in the T3 at the expense of more talented (Bishme/Sebastian/Garo, likely the latter) more palatable. 

Also, my assumption (possibly wrong) is that the judges don't see all the footage until later (I don't know how much later) ... would knowing that Tessa was lying like a rug have factored into their decision? 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

Late to the party but let's get it started!!! At this point if there's going to be a woman in the final three, I hope it's Hester and I can't believe I would ever say that. Also wouldn't it have been so great if Tessa's client stood on the runway and told the judges, "I fucking hate this dress."

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Congratulations wannabe Heidi for living up to Heidi's dress code -- too tight, too short, too sparkly, just trashy enough, or maybe too trashy.  A matter of opinion I suppose.

Hester, I can't remember who said it (Coco Chanel?), but before you leave the house, look in the mirror and remove one item - earrings, glasses, whatever.  It's good advice.

• Love 4