Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E11: New York City of Dreams

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, joanne3482 said:

I am torn on this episode.  I really thought Sebastian's dress was the best, but since he had a slimmer model was it easier? Should the judges take into consideration the size of the model they received?

There are many ways a model can be easier to fit, but also sometimes a model can be a better presenter of the clothes no matter the size. Taking the models into consideration would be a whole other show; which they tried one season. Plus..,you know, ahem, ...Tyra. (smize!)

• Love 6
12 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I think Brandon sees right through Tessa.  He is over her and her overinflated ego, underconstructed garments and unfinished hems.  And, WTF with throwing the other designers under the bus with her comment about the others using hem tape?  

So, Brandon doesn't like Tessa, Nina (as per her tweets) doesn't like Tessa, Danielle Brooks (a very perceptive and insightful guest judge, for once) says Jamal is as bad as Tessa but at least he has the open-mindedness to learn something, whereas she obviously can't, YET Tessa stays and Jamal goes. Who decided that, then? Karlie and Elaine? I really don't get it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Tessa is an unimaginative designer and on top of that I really don't think it's a good idea to keep pushing forward such a lying, disrespectful and arrogant person. It's just showing on national television that if you're a bad person it doesn't matter, you will be forgiven (or no-one will notice) and you can still get ahead in life, and that's unfair and certainly doesn't set a good example.

At this point I'm also afraid they let Jamal go instead of Tessa because otherwise there would only be one woman left in the competition, and in 2019 that's not a good thing. I'm sorry, I'm a woman myself but I can't stand seeing undeserving people advance in any field just because they're women, especially in a show that DID have more talented women (hello, Renee) who were sadly eliminated before these two. 

• Love 24
2 hours ago, njbchlover said:

Fourth, the runway walks told so much about how the client felt in the garment.  It was clearly evident that Bishme's, Garo's and Sebastian's clients loved their outfits, and the bottom three did not..  

Even in the stills on Tlo's site you can see either the confidence or the discomfort. It's really obvious who the top and who the bottom were. Why did Hester do that waistline when her client had a bit of a tummy? It was like an arrow pointing directly to it.

• Love 8

When Garo was walking with his client, I had flashbacks to the first season of Project Runway, when the designers created a new uniform for postal workers. If I remember correctly, Jay’s model didn’t show up so fellow contestant Austin Scarlett modelled for him.

And didn't someone in the next year make a dress out of priority postal envelopes? (they were made of a sew-able material back then)

• Love 1
(edited)

Either Bishme or Sebastian will win this season. They are miles ahead of the remaining designers in talent and taste.  Garo's design for the postal worker was so beautiful on her. She was glowing. That was great. I like Hester but she is a niche designer. Tessa. That hideous black thing the poor EMT gal had to wear down the runway was terrible. Please go. Soon. Christian's store and atelier were amazing.

Edited by Matty
  • Love 12
56 minutes ago, Corgi-ears said:

But she FEELS like she hasn't used black, so that's all that matters.

She feels like she's just WORN black all season, so all of you are confused.

(I'm totally being sarcastic, but she actually said this to the designers!!!!!!)

54 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Jamal's client was tall, pretty and aspires to be a ferryboat captain; it made me mad to see her lose her swag on the runway in that shapeless dress.

Yes it's a shame because she looked really hot in her introductory clip.

• Love 7
(edited)

If Brandon is so over Tessa, then why is Tessa still on the show?  And why hasn't Hester received a REAL critique yet?  I'm not that impressed with Brandon, at least not as impressed as he is with himself, because he's been scathing with Tessa and has dragged her over the coals on several occasions for refusing to hem a garment, which is a BASIC dressmaking skill. And now he's doing it online. But Tessa is still there. 

I'm not putting this on Elaine because she's a newbie and I don't believe has an ounce of clout.  She's been partial to certain designers but that partiality hasn't kept them on the show.

The more I think about Sebastian's dress the more I dislike it.  I guess that's the type of frock you get when you have a pageant princess as a client.  Elaine was right; it wasn't 'retro', it was dated.  I can see that they must have realized that Sebastian was OVERDUE for a win, but I think it's a shame that he won for that dress when stronger pieces have been ignored while the judges kissed Hester's ass and gave her immunity.

It was hard watching Jamal's client have her hopes dashed.  I know that she was really hoping for something pretty.  A Black girl that size (who works as a deckhand) doesn't get a lot of chances to be fussed over and to feel glamourous.  Jamal took that from her and that's why I wasn't heartbroken to see him leave even though it should have been Tessa.  I can't believe Christian didn't tell the judges about her hacking off the chiffon seconds before her client hit the runway.  Tessa is lucky that her client had the self-confidence to work that ragged schmata Tessa stuck her with.

Bishme was right to put his client in a darker blue.  Sky blue would have washed her right out and made his design look cheap.  I'm really rooting for Bishme.  He has a STORY, but he doesn't wear it on his sleeve.  He's constantly upbeat and supportive of his clients and his colleagues.  Bishme is self-taught but he can do BOTH street and elegant.

Once again, Hester gets away with murder.  Her dress was cheap and tacky looking.  She keeps talking about how 'punk' she is and the judges lap that shit up.  I wonder if any of them have the slightest idea what 'punk' means, because as someone who was around in the 70s, what Hester is serving up AIN'T IT.  Hester is kitsch without the humour OR the intelligence.  She seems to have dialed down the arrogance but I think that's because she's realized that she isn't the shining star she was convinced she was (and that the judges told her she was).  I think Hester realizes that the clock is ticking for her.

Tessa is so terrible.  A part of me feels sorry for her because she seems to be so unhappy but more talented people have gone home before her and they're probably unhappy too.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:
2 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

She's a teacher, as am I, and I write thank you cards a lot.

I'm not a teacher but I just mailed a thank-you card this week. I was raised to write them

I remember my teacher cupping my little hands to teach me how to write; now I can't remember writing in cursive. Thanks QWERTY!

Jamal's model had very good hair and makeup, esp that lipstick; hope her friends on social media don't blame her for his boned pillowcase "dress".

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

It was hard watching Jamal's client have her hopes dashed.  I know that she was really hoping for something pretty.  A Black girl that size (who works as a deckhand) doesn't get a lot of chances to be fussed over and to feel glamourous.  Jamal took that from her and that's why I wasn't heartbroken to see him leave even though it should have been Tessa.  

Yes that really bothered me.  I had my thoughts on her life story.  She is 19 and the dress style she was talking about was prom which made me wonder if she had to miss her own prom for some reason. Or it could be as simple as at 18 that's all the fancy dress you know about so that's your one frame of reference, but the way she said it, so hesitatingly made me wonder.  I really hope she gets to be a boat captain someday. 

• Love 23
5 hours ago, mwell345 said:

No, there has always been a mix.  That's one reason I think Hester is headed to the final 3.  It's down to Hester and Tessa now, and unless Hester really messes up, I can't see her being  elminated before Tessa.

Actually, in season 6 when Irina won, the top three were all women.

• Love 3

I find it annoying as hell when these competitions have someone blatantly lying, they were caught on camera lying, but the judges don't get to see it, or don't care. It's not okay. If you're a lying liar who lies, then get the fuck out. Yeah, I'm staring at you, Tessa...I was hoping her client told the judges she really wanted pink and was told no, but I think those clients were a bit intimidated to be on the runway since it's so outside of their real lives.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

She feels like she's just WORN black all season, so all of you are confused.

(I'm totally being sarcastic, but she actually said this to the designers!!!!!!)

I loved the other designers reactions to Tessa first saying she has not used black much in her designs, then to her saying she has worn a lot of black, so that must be what they are thinking of. I loved some of the designers trying to diplomatically point out that she has used black a lot. Of course Tessa was not hearing it.

I did love Bishme and the math problem. I laughed when he was reciting it for the workers at Mood, then later with the designers. 

• Love 10

Tessa is a horrible person and I wish they would kick her out.  Jamal did not do a great job but at least he tried. He listened to his client and tried to give her what she wanted. If he had had one more day I think he would have pulled it off.

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, piedmontgirl said:

He listened to his client and tried to give her what she wanted. If he had had one more day I think he would have pulled it off.

I thought it was a 2 day challenge. It is really clear that Jamal needs more sewing practice to survive on this show. It's the 3rd or 4th time he's had some idea and ended up not doing something and saying he just doesn't have time. . .

• Love 8
(edited)

Unpopular opinion, but if Garo had made that same dress and sent it down the runway on somebody else, it would not have been as successful. His model SOLD that dress. She has so much positive energy she just glows happiness and confidence. That cape? Ugh. Not mother of the bride, but grandmother of the bride.

Tessa obviously knows she is being filmed. You can't do a thing for people who flat out lie and dare you to fact check. Does she not realize what she is doing to her reputation/career?

Unfortunate that the ferryboat deckhand was paired with Jamal. What she wanted was not a dream dress but a magic dress. I get it, I also have no waist, but a body-con isn't going to magically give me one. Jamal was just dithering, dreaming of sleeping bags. He looked so lost.

I'm rooting for Sebastian. Bishme if Sebastian really quits next week.

Edited by GoldaVining
overthinking it
  • Love 7

I think if Jamal had added the strap-type top to his gown like Sebastian had it would have been so much better and maybe resulted in a different ending (looking at you meany Tessa...)

The gal would not have been afraid of her bosom falling out of it, she would have walked more confidently and been happier. There were things she did like about it.

Maybe that was not something he was capable of doing? Wish Sebastian or Garo had suggested that to him.

But just pinned it under her arm was a pretty bad solution. It limited her movement if it meant she had to keep her arm down at her side.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I agree! I was so disgusted by her attitude toward that woman - she actually sneered at her when she said pink is her favorite color. Liking black doesn't make you more sophisticated, it just makes you boring and predictable. There are a million shades of pink - I can't believe she is so close minded that she couldn't find one shade of it that they could both live with. How does someone go into design but only wants to work with one color????

Also, she keeps claiming that she is minimalist (I don't even see her as minimalist - she just isn't good, in my opinion) but Gwyneth Paltrow was known for her minimalist style in the 90s (which I loved) and she actually brought pink back to popularity by wearing that pink Ralph Lauren dress when she won the Oscar in 1998.  So, minimalism can be done in pink.  It's been done many times before.

Was Tessa only good in that first challenge, and then never again?  Bleh.

• Love 13

Oh, how I wish... and was actually, angrily talking to my TV ... that Nina would have pursued the pink/black issue with Tessa. She knew Tessa had lied and should have stated that the judges had seen that interview she had with her "client".  She should have been eliminated on that AND the fact that her "dream dress" was a piece of black shit !

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
16 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Very little love for Bishme's dress, why did the judges almost ignore it -- but I thought it was fantastic and he really pulled it off from what seemed to be a dismal beginning.

I feel like they refrained from complimenting Bishme too much because his model looked like an actual model.  Well, that's not his fault!

Garo's model looked, walked, and felt the greatest.  I loved her whole attitude.  Garo ALWAYS treats his models with this much respect and love though, like when he gets the plus-size models that Tessa would spit at.

Sebastien's was too "perfect" or boring or something for me, but okay, fine.  (I know, that's a horrible complaint.)  Obviously it was perfectly made.  Christian also picked the fabric.

Tessa lied 100x this episode and I give so much credit to the editors for showing us every time.  THAT made me really happy.  It was gutsy, since she is clearly SOMEBODY on this show's favourite.

I absolutely LOVED Bishme's dress!  I want to get his contact information and ask him to make the dress for me!!  It is so beautiful!

I love Sebastian and wanted him to win so I was happy to see that.

Still love Garo and although the dress he made is not my style, it was perfect for his model and I loved how much she loved it.  

• Love 17
20 hours ago, Thumper said:

Oh, Tessa.  Not listening to her client. Grrrrr.

I saw that coming when the client said she liked PINK.    Then client went on to mention gray and black and of Tessa zoned in on that.  God Forbid, Tessa used a "color" other than black.   And when she started spieling that she did not use black all the time, I wanted to choke her.  The pictures proved it and she weaseled around her choices by saying I WORE black all season.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, oceanview said:

I saw that coming when the client said she liked PINK

I am so glad Nina did not let her get away with that whole "she doesn't like burgundy or dark blue or dark green......" 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I remember in a previous season, one of the designers treated his model like trash, repeated called her fat (and he was fat himself), and designed something she hated. And people had nominated their friends to be the "real women," and this woman's friend was like "My friend is too nice to tell y'all but I'm not," and she talked about how shitty the experience had been and that she had been so excited that her friend had been chosen to do this because her friend works very hard and she wanted to do something nice for her, but was now sorry she'd even nominated her because the designer had treated her so badly. It was great. The designer got booted. I wish more of the "real women" who are treated badly would do this. In this kind of challenge, customer service is as important as the design itself, and those who lack it should be called out.

I remember that episode.  Ven, the designer known for the origami rose technique, was that woman's designer but he didn't get eliminated.  He did show that he couldn't make anything look interesting without his origami rose, the three looks he didn't use it in looked like basics straight off the rack.  Funny enough, the villains of past episodes, Gunnar and Elena, were very nice, enthusiastic and professional with their clients and those clients were around the same size type as Terri, Ven's client.  Terri later wrote in a blog post that Ven didn't even accompany her to hair and makeup and Gunnar explained to the hairstylists and makeup artists what was happening between her and Ven and made sure she was treated well there.  

• Useful 6
  • Love 6

Sorry, I've seen Garo's dress a thousand times and she just looked o.k. in it.  I never both to watch anything but the runway and the end, so really, as long as they are not rude I don't care how queenly they treat the client, the show is about the product.  Great she loved the dress, but of the top three I liked it the least.  Do people really want sparkly things on their shoulders? 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

Yes that really bothered me.  I had my thoughts on her life story.  She is 19 and the dress style she was talking about was prom which made me wonder if she had to miss her own prom for some reason. Or it could be as simple as at 18 that's all the fancy dress you know about so that's your one frame of reference, but the way she said it, so hesitatingly made me wonder.  I really hope she gets to be a boat captain someday. 

So do they get the chance to fix the mistakes on the dresses when they have clients after the show is over? 

• Useful 2
50 minutes ago, oceanview said:
21 hours ago, Thumper said:

Oh, Tessa.  Not listening to her client. Grrrrr.

I saw that coming when the client said she liked PINK.    Then client went on to mention gray and black and of Tessa zoned in on that.

It was actually Tessa who brought up gray and black, telling her client she usually designed in those colors only, in response to the client saying pink was her favorite color. Then the client told Tessa she was okay with gray and black, but that there were certain dark colors she didn't like, which Tessa then used to excuse the lack of color to the judges (after her client said on the runway that she loved pink).

• Love 15

I think the judges got it right this time.  Jamal's large pink potato sack was clearly the worst thing made, he had no idea how to fix it, and the client was in serious danger of having her entire chest exposed on national television.  And yet she, unlike professional model Kate, did not throw him under the bus.  You had to send him home for the pucker in the back seam that stuck out an inch and a half.

Tessa's was wrong and she lied, but it had some design.  How has she not figured out that she could use the hem tape to actually make a hem?  She's been told over and over again that the judges want to see a hemmed garment.  If she keeps doing it, she's asking to be eliminated.

I don't know a single adult woman whose favorite color is pink.  And they managed to corral three or four women for this one challenge whose favorite color is pink?

Elaine is turning into the judge who is wrong.

• Love 8
(edited)
10 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

It was actually Tessa who brought up gray and black, telling her client she usually designed in those colors only, in response to the client saying pink was her favorite color. Then the client told Tessa she was okay with gray and black, but that there were certain dark colors she didn't like, which Tessa then used to excuse the lack of color to the judges (after her client said on the runway that she loved pink).

Yes, absolutely.  The client only said "pink".  Tessa brought up "Well that's not my aesthetic.  I only design in gray and black."  Client "Well........ I'm okay with grey and black."  What woman isn't????????  It doesn't mean that that's necessarily their DREAM DRESS!!!

You know, even the most high fashion designers in the world alter their designs to please their clients.  I don't actually get it or like it myself, but often when celebrities wear stuff directly from the runway, the highest fashion designers will change a colour or a sleeve or a skirt or what have you.  But Tessa wouldn't alter her aesthetic?  Please.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 11
9 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Tessa's was wrong and she lied, but it had some design. 

I'm sorry, but I didn't like or understand the design whatsoever.  The one-shoulder black bodycon dress was looking okay, and even the client liked it, but what was the point of the belt with the chiffon hanging off of it?  I thought that was really weird.  I don't get how that's flattering.  It was really pirate-y or something.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
16 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

STFU Tessa! What a self important bitch! She couldn’t even bend an inch to give a lovely woman a nice dress. It’s just a color Tessa. You won’t die because you made a pink dress. Instead of being mortified by the color, how about being mortified about sending a woman down the runway in an unfinished mess?!?

I loved Sebastian’s dress. It was beautiful and exquisitely made. I love that color pink. I’m so glad he won! Elaine can suck it. I think she’s the reason he hasn’t won more, and why Jamall and Hester have. Sebastian isn’t quirky enough for her. I never thought I would say this, but thank God for Nina. The preview for next week is scaring me though.

Garro’s was nice too, but it read mother of the bride to me, and weirdly, it seemed kind of like an identical dress (but with a cape) to last week when he was in the bottom, just a better color. I actually thought Bishme had the second place dress.

I am relieved Jamall is out. He was not ready. That poor girl. Elaine is high - unlimited promise??? Please. I would say his promise is extremely limited considering his sewing and construction skills, his inability to fit anyone over a size zero, and refusal to make anything that isn’t puffer. Can Hester or Tessa be next please?

Nailed it! On all points.

Tessa is just Backwardsville. Her job was to design a dress that blends her aesthetic with her client's requests. So she designs pants. I love that. It's reverse-commute fashion. I actually think Christian should have asked about her doing that neutrally and then dropped it. Jeebus, she's choosing to compete with the challenge itself and then her own client, whose two DRESS preferences were pink and short. So our Tessa gives her a long, black thing with a detachable scarf rack around the waist. So flattering with those d-rings. Like "Ace Hardware Presents the Dance of the Seven Veils." Or, you know, Tessa could have simply designed a pink cocktail dress, and made it her own with charcoal hem tape and a removable Venetian blind. For the reveal.

Yeah, Elaine really dissed Sebastian's client when she got all snooty about it being a poodle skirt. Which it wasn't. C'mon, that was way more New Look than Happy Days - you don't have to like it, Elaine, but you should understand and respect the reference.

I like Garro and his dress was...nice but straight up boring, to me. I thought Bishme pulled off a way more nuanced sexy vibe. Both did a great job in making the client comfortable outside of their comfort zone, in colors.

Oh Jamal. That stuff about how you don't know how to make your art for an actual person is at least understandable in someone who's as young as you are. Tessa and Hester have NO such excuse for still not having any such understanding. And who the hell are they designing for? Are they saying they don't need to sell their work to get by? (Which would explain A LOT about their respective atitudes.) I'm also of the mindset that skills (like construction) can be learned but character flaws (like lying about your poor client, TESSA) are much bigger problems. 

• Love 24
7 hours ago, VintageJ said:

I agree, I don’t think Jamal’s model liked her dress at all.  She just looked depressed coming down the runway.  But I think she was trying to be nice in front of the judges.  I wanted to give her a big hug.  I wish Brandon had just said, “Honey, call my office and I’ll make your dream dress for you.”  Or Christian.  Poor Baby.  Jamal is so stuck in his aesthetic but as someone upthread noted, if no one gets your aesthetic, then good luck paying the bills.  Not saying you have to change your vision, but be open minded enough to try different things, and business minded enough to listen to your client.  Though it is true that people pick the designers in real life that fit their aesthetic.

All of this.

I so wish that Tessa’s client told the judges that Tessa did not give her what she wanted, that she wanted pink and recited what Tessa told her about she doesn’t do pink.  Actually, it would have served Tessa right if her client was just like her and threw her under the bus. I would have been awesome if she just went there and was like “I told her I loved pink and she said she doesn’t do pink so I got this.  I don’t like it, it’s not me, the designer made me feel uncomfortable and acted like I was a bother to her.”

The reason that did not happen is because the  client does not have the nasty disposition and rude behavior of Tessa.   She was very gracious.   Liked her a lot.  All the "women" were great IMO

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
18 minutes ago, oceanview said:

The reason that did not happen is because the  client does not have the nasty disposition and rude behavior of Tessa.   She was very gracious.   Liked her a lot.  All the "women" were great IMO

Everyone says "Why didn't the client say THIS or THAT to the judges"?  But I kind of think it's a bit unfair.  They're all public servants.  They're very much in the public domain.  They can't just be rude and ungracious on such a popular television show.  

• Love 18
17 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I loved Sebastian’s dress. It was beautiful and exquisitely made. I love that color pink. I’m so glad he won! Elaine can suck it. I think she’s the reason he hasn’t won more, and why Jamall and Hester have. Sebastian isn’t quirky enough for her. I never thought I would say this, but thank God for Nina. T

You put into words (so eloquently) what I was thinking.

6C9E2022-C995-4D2B-9FE3-DB4B1FEDA8C8.jpeg

• Love 9
1 hour ago, caitmcg said:

You are  100 per cent correct.  I misspoke about the client saying it first.   How soon we forget!  LOL   The client was a sweet person and obviously the pink was her very favorite.   Even if the dress was not perfect, the color pink would have made her happier.  Tessa needs to find another line of work because customer relationships are important.  And if you are working for another designer, you follow their lead, not just your until you are established.  I am so happy for the job Christian is doing.  Who would have thunk it when he was a young brash kid?  True talent cannot be denied.    I remember him sewing in his closet and sleeping on the floor too.  He has come a long way, but he earned it

• Love 16

I thought Jamal's dress was coral. Not at all 'red' as they kept saying.

The bit on the runway that got me the most was Tessa flat-out lying and saying her client liked 'a pop of pink' - ie, what she gave her with the earrings and some other tiny flash detail. Liar! (It was quite cathartic, as I did have good shout at the TV several times during that episode. I thought Tessa was obnoxious from episode one, but this episode ramped it up to fun new levels!)

That poor woman's face, sitting on the steps of her ambulance, when Tessa shot down her choice of pink, and then told her she also couldn't have a short dress...

• Love 12
2 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Sorry, I've seen Garo's dress a thousand times and she just looked o.k. in it.  I never both to watch anything but the runway and the end, so really, as long as they are not rude I don't care how queenly they treat the client, the show is about the product.  Great she loved the dress, but of the top three I liked it the least.  Do people really want sparkly things on their shoulders? 

Agree she sold that dress.  To me, it was a little MOB, as someone else mentioned -- and not something my friends who are MOB's would wear.  The cape thing made it too matronly, IMO.  (Those of us who are matrons still don't want to wear garments that appear so!  lol)

I do like that Garo treats his clients with respect, though.  In past years, I think it was the Sebellia (sp?) guy who made someone's mom cry when she was his client.  Awful

• Love 7

I also found it odd that so many of the women chose pink as their favorite color, maybe they were told not to suggest anything for evening that may translate to black/dark for the designers.

I know some people like pink but know it’s hard to pull off a fully pink dress. I also didn’t see Jamal’s dress as red at all, more of a hot pink or coral. Hester’s dress was ugly and didn’t flatter her model. I was amused at how disgusted Tessa seemed that the runway would be so colorful, lol. She doesn’t seem to want to design for anyone but herself and I can’t believe she’s still in the competition.

• Love 9

Can you imagine how a few of these women felt after the runway? This is possibly their once chance to be on TV and have a designer custom make their dream dress and a couple of them will literally walk away with little more than rags in their hands. What an experience!

• Love 2

I just watched this and haven't ready any posts yet, so here's my thoughts:

Tessa just disgusted me with her outright lying about what the customer said. I couldn't believe she was so blatant about it. Did she forget the conversation was filmed? I wish she had gone instead of Jamal, but unfortunately Jamal's dress was just worse. At least you could see some elements of good in Jamal's - what it had the potential to be if it was constructed better. She is so arrogant when she's maybe a little above mediocre and very limited in viewpoint and experience. 

I'm so glad Sebastian won! It was so pretty and unique - not my taste, but it suited the client and did have a retro glam to it. Garo's dress was more my taste, it was really lovely. 

Jamal's dress - he did not provide any support to his client in her dress. Now a corset would have come in handy for making her feel more secure in the dress. Also the dress needed to be cut so there was the illusion of a waistline. (Those are the types of dresses that look best on me as there isn't much differential between waist and hip.) But the color was great on his model and you could see what the dress could have been if he'd executed it better.

One thing I liked is how they had the models leave before really delivering the criticism. But I kind of wish Tessa's model could have heard the lies. Well she's heard them by now.

I wonder if the teacher did get engaged.

• Love 6

Re: the pink. Hasn't Nina said in seasons past that she hates that color? I remember her chastising someone over the very color that went down that runway. Maybe the wrestling challenge (again from Christian's season).

Jamal's poor woman looked better in her Ferry uniform than she did in her "dream dress." And thinner, too! She looked so pretty with her makeup done. I felt so sorry for her having to walk that entire runway trying to hold her dress up by keeping her arm tight to her body. As a certain orange person would say "Sad."

• Love 10
15 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Watched the Bravo seasons and skipped most of Lifetime. Maybe Jamal went home because they TPTB don't want only men in the finale? Can't remember past S4. Has there ever been only one gender represented at Fashion Week?

Yes, season 5 with Leanne, Korto and Kenley. Leanne won. It seems like there was another all-women finale but I can't remember which season.

Wasn't the season that the Japanese man won all men at the end? Brandon was in it, well maybe I'm getting seasons mixed up. I remember the earlier ones better than the more recent ones.