Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E11: New York City of Dreams

• Start Topic

28 minutes ago, jacksgirl said:

I was kind of hoping to flashback to Christian's prom challenge when he was a designer... He should have been sent home even though he was/is so talented. Didn't love Sebastian's color, but the dress was lovely. The preview scared me though.

3 minutes ago, oraex said:

I, too, was thinking of Christians season when he made that frumpy prom dress for his high schooler.  

I wonder if Christian was also thinking about that challenge - he really was "in" by the skin of his teeth.  

Imagine how different his life and career may have gone if he had been eliminated at that challenge!!  

• Love 10

I think this challenge was a good wake up call for some of the designers. Hester especially is going to have to figure out how to make her particular style commercially viable. Jamal is also going to have to realize that though this may be his art, someone is going to have to be willing to buy it and ultimately be able to wear it. He’s not sewing statues. It felt like he didn’t like the challenge and just gave up early on. 

Too bad Tessa is still standing. If Jamal’s look hadn’t been so ill- fitting she would have definitely gone home. You can tell the judges are over her unfinished hems and poor attitude. If her dress were a different color and without the scarf belt thing, it could have been a lot nicer. 

All of the top 3 contestants had their ladies looking so confident. I loved Bishme’s dress. It looked like something you would see on a red carpet. Garo’s dress was a similar idea to other things he’s done, but it really flattered his client and her personality. I’m happy that Sebastian got the win this time. My initial reaction to the dress was Belle from Beauty and the Beast, but it was exactly what his client wanted and he was able to put his own stamp on it. 

• Love 23

I'm fairly sure that I could make a better dress than Jamal did tonight. That was first one out on week 1 quality level bad. Woof.

I actually liked Bishme's best by a lot. He really did transform his client. The other in the top 3 were fine.

No matter what you think of Hester, she didn't cover her client in buckets of ticky-tack like she usually does. How did they assign clients to designers? They seem almost intentionally mismatched.

I loved Brandon doing the chiffon hemming comparison during the close-ups. Everyone was dunking on Tessa today.

The thing about Christian's prom challenge trip to the bottom 2 in his season is <conspiracy theory>that I think he was actually scored in the top 3 with his fugly dress but because he straightaway badmouthed his client they stuck him in the bottom 2 as a way to scare him straight about his behavior. Why else would they only have 2 top and 4 bottom placements in a challenge in which the designers did generally well?</conspiracy theory>

• Useful 12
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Angeleyes said:

All of the top 3 contestants had their ladies looking so confident. I loved Bishme’s dress. It looked like something you would see on a red carpet.

Yes.

1 hour ago, nb360 said:

I love how Sebastian (unintentionally?) called Tessa out by saying, “ She’s making the same skirt I taught her how to make during the 2nd challenge.”

Even better, the editors showing us how.  Tessa was shocking me every 5 minutes this episode, with her absolute gall.

• Love 23
(edited)

I didn't really like Sebastian's dress (it's a lot), but I'm happy he finally won.

Jamal's dress was just fabric barely hanging on to his client. He deserved to go. 

Tessa is just awful. 

Edited by Kimmykun
  • Love 12
15 minutes ago, Maya S said:

I think Tessa would definitely be out if Jamall's dress wasn't so poorly executed, Brandon and Nina made their opinions very clear tonight:

WOW.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Tessa's black dress was not great. I think the reason she likes working with black is that it hides a lot of flaws. Aside from the unhemmed chiffon panels, it just looked poorly constructed. If it had been made in a lighter color, you would be able to see every flaw and bad design choice.

Yeah, at this point, it seems clear Tessa's sewing skills are not up to the standards of this show.  She can try to spin it all she wants, that unfinished hems equal a fashion choice, but the judges aren't buying.

• Love 12

Watched the Bravo seasons and skipped most of Lifetime. Maybe Jamal went home because they TPTB don't want only men in the finale? Can't remember past S4. Has there ever been only one gender represented at Fashion Week?

• Love 2

Tessa needs to go. Come on Brandon - we're counting on you to make this happen!!!

On what planet would a client tell any designer "I want a pink dress" and the designer would say "sorry, I don't do pink, you're getting black", which is essentially what Tessa did. 

But...Jamal's dress was just horrible.  The color was great on her, but that was about it.  I think he could have saved it with some type of sleeve, even a capelet would have worked.  There should have been some flow to it - not so body hugging.  And as much as I thought she looked good in red, it was too much red - there should have been another color or some embellisment to break it up.  His client was a beautiful woman - he did her no favors.

Hester has grown on me these last couple of episodes (or maybe that it's just that Tessa is so obnoxious, anyone looks good next to her).   Hester seems focused and serious.  And I have to admit I would not mind seeing a collection from her, even though  her aesthetic is nowhere near anything I would wear.  I think she's headed for the final 3 anyway - the judges like her quirkiness.

Having said that, next week's challenge (based on the previews and the fact that I  don't even understand what it is they are supposed to do) could go in any direction.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, jacksgirl said:

Watched the Bravo seasons and skipped most of Lifetime. Maybe Jamal went home because they TPTB don't want only men in the finale? Can't remember past S4. Has there ever been only one gender represented at Fashion Week? 

No, there has always been a mix.  That's one reason I think Hester is headed to the final 3.  It's down to Hester and Tessa now, and unless Hester really messes up, I can't see her being  elminated before Tessa.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

The top three dresses were all beautifully constructed (from my non-sewing eye) and you could tell their models loved their looks.  I think the blue that Bishme picked was beautiful on his model and may have been a designer choice (like Garo’s choice of the purple for his model).  I think it looked better on his model than pale blue would have looked.  

Garo’s model was great and you could tell she absolutely loved her look.  Garo made his model feel like a queen!  I’ve never had a problem with Garo so I was happy he was in the top.

Sebastian’s dress, though not my style, was a perfect marriage of what the client asked for and his own aesthetic and was made beautifully so I’m glad he won.  

When I saw the bottom three, my first thought was that I would be glad for any of them to go.  That was before they actually talked to them.

Though I’m not a Hester fan, I was fine with her staying this week because the dress was not offensively bad.  At least she tried to give the client what she wanted.  At least she didn’t completely ignore her client’s wants.

Jamal (sigh).  That dress was just ill fitting and not flattering.  Your model was absolutely beautiful and that dress should have skimmed her body enough to show her curves but not too tight.  The guest judge says he was at least willing to listen to criticism (because he was respectful on the runway during the critique) and I thought, “not really.”  He cannot seem to get out of his comfort zone and if the challenge does not allow him to do his thing, it’s like he cannot think beyond his own vision and gets so stuck.  It was clearly his time to go.  But not before Tessa or it could have at least been a double elimination.

Tessa.  The arrogance just astounded me.  I think the poster up thread who says Tessa likes black because it hides the multitude of flaws is right.  She listened to NOTHING her client wanted!  This is a dress challenge, not pants.  She loves and wanted pink, not black. The fact that she 1) did not listen to her client, 2) lied about what the client wanted, and 3) again did not finish her hems should have sent her home.\

This is the first season I’ve watched Project Runway in years!  I think the last season was the season Gretchen won (I was so done!) so I missed the Lifetime version.  I decided to check it out this season and until this episode, was happy I did.  But I can easily go back to not watching if I have to deal with someone like Tessa again and again.  

This to me was clearly producer driven manipulation on who got to stay.  The poster up thread who showed Nina and Brandon’s exchange on Twitter tells me it was producer driven.  If they both thought that Tessa should have gone, then why isn’t she?  I’m sure Elaine does not have that much pull to overrule both Nina and Brandon and the guest judge!  So why is Tessa still there?  Just to f—- with me, obviously.

• LOL 2
  • Love 13
59 minutes ago, Ellaria Sand said:

Well said. I never understand why some of these designers have issues with adapting their "look" to a client's desires. They can't make sleeping bag dresses for the entirety of their career. 

Found this exchange between Brandon and Nina. 

Untitled.png

• Useful 4
  • Love 8

I'm always a bit torn on these--because there have been designers who listened to their client and then went down in flames because the client wanted some color that looked awful etc. So it can be a tough road. But there is a way to blend what the client wants, pushing the client a bit and staying true to yourself as a designer. If Tess had made a true effort to blend pink with her preference for black, maybe it could have worked--imagine Tess with sewing skills lining a black skirt with pink so it showed but the entire dress was not pink. . . . or something where pink was featured but not head to toe pepto . . .

If Tess's client had said "I'm NOT girly. I really prefer pants" and if Tess was capable of sewing pants like Bishme, she maybe could have made some awesome pants with an overskirt that would have the judges going, "ok; original take on dream dress; dream dress can mean more than a traditional dress" But her client was the opposite of that and she lacks sewing skill.

Tess has never been my favorite designer but I've rooted for her in a way. For some reason, there are characters in movies or contestants on shows where I see their flaws and for some reason I keep hoping they grow from them, it was just a bad day, etc. . . but Tess, oh Tess. So sad for you. Maybe you'll watch the show and have a moment of growth. She is so defensive and lacking in self awareness.

I was very glad Sebastian won. I like retro things so taking something retro but updating it a bit is something I like a lot.

When Jamal was meeting with his client about what she liked, I really wanted him to say: "so, how do you feel about puffer??"

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

Seriously, Tess You're not going to let your client pick the color of her own dream dress? The black/grey thing doesn't make you look edgy or artistic; it makes you look severely limited. So does your inability to process criticism, by the way.

I admit I've never "got" Jamal as a designer, but it says a lot for him that he got such a warm send-off. I especially liked that he called out Tess for her "everybody does it" nonsense.

• Love 20
(edited)
2 hours ago, mwell345 said:

Untitled.png

This was an interesting challenge, for many reasons.  One, because the designers that are unused to dealing with clients were forced to step outside of the comfort level (well, except for Tessa) and design something that the client wanted, but still true to themselves.  Even the designers who have worked with clients had a little bit of difficulty with that.

Two, the women were not models.  Some of them had body styles that needed some extra fitting or camouflaging of parts of their bodies that they were uncomfortable with (which is why Jamal went home).  

Three, working with dress styles or colors that may not be THEIR design aesthetic.  

Was it Jamal who said something like he doesn't design for the people - he designs what HE likes and hopes that some people will like it, too?  Well, honey - you're going to get awfully hungry because you have no money for food - not everyone wants their closet to be filled with puffer everything!!  

Fourth, the runway walks told so much about how the client felt in the garment.  It was clearly evident that Bishme's, Garo's and Sebastian's clients loved their outfits, and the bottom three did not.  However, while I'm glad that Sebastian won the challenge, his girl completely and totally owned that runway, due to her former pageant experience.  She just knew what to do, where to turn, how to walk, etc.  (I have actually seen her before on a local news human interest story a few years ago about the pagaent queen who works on a garbage truck.)  Garo's client was a close second with her walk, just because she was having so much fun.  

I hope that the designers who were in the bottom will have some type of growth experience from this.  It is one thing to be a starving artist, and I applaud that for those who have the gumption for it, but making clothes is about making money, too.  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 19

I guess I need to rewatch, but I thought that Garo's model couldn't walk in her dress, she was taking tiny tiny steps.  But she did look great and seemed very happy with her dress. I hope they have a reunion, do they do one every season?  I want to see Tessa get called out on her bs.

• Love 5

@Maya S thanks for pulling those tweets!

i was pulling for the double elimination.  I would be perfectly fine with seeing tonight’s top three be the final three.  They’ve had all female finales so why not an all male finale, especially when they’ve left us with only Hester and Tessa as the females. 

I hope Sebastian gets over whatever drama from the preview and stays in the competition. If not then it’s Bishme’s to win and I’ll accept no other outcome. 

Also, they had TWO days for this and the bottom was still so poorly done.  Been watching old seasons from lifetime where every challenge was 1 day and they were putting out higher level than the bottom here. And this was the top 6 designers, this should be easy. It seems like a designer should come out of school being able to just whip out a standard evening gown, even if it’s not innovative or groundbreaking. 

• Love 8
11 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

Sebastian's dress was very well made but his client looked like she was going to be meeting Troy Donohue at the sock hop.

Elaine said as much, but she didn't like it. I liked the "ice cream" color of the dress; it was a fantasy for the pageant queen! (Brandon had her pegged!)

After seeing Christian's fabulous atelier/store I thought one purpose of the challenge was to make a dress you would show in your atelier. Only Bishme and Sebastian would get out of the basement in that atelier.

The guest judge was very good with her comments.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

It depends on your definition of presenting at Fashion Week. If you mean just the ones who end up on the episode (aka top 3 or 4 depending on the year) than yes.  In Season 5, the top 3 were Leanne, Korto and Kenley.  In Season 6 the top 3 were also all female, Irina, Althea and Carol Hannah.  But those were the only 2 years.  I know they show a lot more than the top 3 or 4 (depending on the season) because they have the decoy shows as well.  If you include those then they've all been mixed.

8 hours ago, hula-la said:

When Garo was walking with his client, I had flashbacks to the first season of Project Runway, when the designers created a new uniform for postal workers. If I remember correctly, Jay’s model didn’t show up so fellow contestant Austin Scarlett modelled for him.

You are right, it was Austin.  That was such a fun episode and Austin really rocked it!

I am torn on this episode.  I really thought Sebastian's dress was the best, but since he had a slimmer model was it easier? Should the judges take into consideration the size of the model they received? I don't know but I do know in years past with real women challenges almost always the larger woman went home and a slimmer woman won which makes these challenges somewhat inequitable. 

Which leads me to the bottom two.  Jamall's was awful and I really was sad that she got him because, to me, he is not a good designer. Despite what his model said, I don't think she liked it at all.  She looked so sad.  I did love that the make-up artist said she slipped the foundation (I think) that she used into the girl's purse.  And then you have Tessa's, which was also awful, but she had the smaller model.  I don't know which was the right one to go home here. I wanted Tessa to go home because she was such a b with the judges, but in reality Jamall's dress was by far the worst. 

• Love 6

I  paid attention to how the designer treated the client.  Even if you waiver in your execution, showing professionalism to the client is paramount, imo.  While they all seemed to have trouble getting over their OWN AESTHETIC, a couple were down right contemptuous of the client, imo. Namely, Tessa and Jamal.  Poor clients. I bet they didn't guess that designers at that level wouldn't know how to sew or how to make a sleeve on a garment. NOPE.  

Bishme: Nice to client, but that shade of blue is not tasteful. Side ruffle from the 80's. Bottom too full like a bedspread.  Makes me wonder ?

Hester: Nice to client, but, poor shade of pink for adult woman, terrible fit, like it was cut and sewn wrong, strings held it up and looked like a $14.00 dress.  Why?

Tessa: Seemed annoyed with client, almost seemed to want to sabotage it. Black monstrosity.  I know why. 

Jamal: Seemed annoyed with client, not ready for this, but, his red dress did barely stay up.  Hester's wouldn't have if not for the strings holding hers up, but, the fit seemed about the same as Hester's. 

Garo:  Nice to client, but, poor fabric choice, just looked dated, boring, hem poorly done and those drapes down the back appear silly and impractical.  There is a great way to make an OFF the shoulder.  He just doesn't know how to do that. 

Sebastian: Nice to client.  Dress well constructed, but, so dated.  It gave me visions of a southern picnic after church on Sunday.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I feel like they refrained from complimenting Bishme too much because his model looked like an actual model.  Well, that's not his fault!

I thought it was odd that they didn't discuss his design more, but I don't see why his model's appearance should deter them. It didn't stop them from giving the win to Sebastian, whose model was a similar size. Also, Bishme's model seemed petite which presents its own challenges. Details that add volume like peplums & pleats could be overwhelming on a small frame. 

11 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I think Brandon sees right through Tessa.  He is over her and her overinflated ego, underconstructed garments and unfinished hems.  And, WTF with throwing the other designers under the bus with her comment about the others using hem tape?  

Brandon has called out the finishing on Tessa's garments several times now, but the other judges have always given her a pass. I never understood how she won the first challenge. Not only has minimalism in black been done before, she seems to be using it to hide her lack of technical skills.

• Love 3
(edited)

I think Tessa is probably the nastiest designer since Wendy Pepper (RIP).  She flat out disregarded what her client wanted and lied to the judges.  I think it would have been pretty fun if before each of the women came down the runway they would have shown a little clip of the conversations they each had with the designers telling them what their dream dress would be.  That way the judges could really decide if the designers interpreted their clients wishes or not.  Isn't that what the challenge was?  In that sense, while Jamal's dress was very poorly constructed, he did try and give the client what she asked for (except sleeves).  Tessa completely disregarded her client's wishes and did whatever the hell she wanted, and then lied about it.  Of course the women are not going to get on stage and argue with their designers.  I don't disagree that it was probably time for Jamal to go home but I think that could have waited until next week and Tessa should have gone home this episode for so clearly ignoring the intent of the challenge.  If it hadn't been for Christian she would have sent a pair of pants down the runway in the "dream dress" challenge.  

Edited by nr65000
grammar is your friend...
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15
(edited)
On 5/24/2019 at 7:28 AM, mwell345 said:

Untitled.png

I think the difference between the real world and PR is that, in the real world, a client would choose a designer, because that designer fits their aesthetic. In PR world, it's a random assignment...or an assignment created by producers for the most draaaama.

On 5/24/2019 at 9:58 AM, Captain Asshat said:
Edited by Captain Asshat
I quoted...myself?
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, njbchlover said:

Thank you, both!!  I thought it had something to do with grandmothers or grandmas...we had all kinds of things from that pattern - vests, hats, purses, toaster cover, afghans (even the dreaded toilet paper covers, LOL!!)  They went crazy with it!!  🙂

It's the very first thing I learned to crochet. It's only chain stitch and double crochet. And you can use them as flat building blocks to construct almost anything. My favorite crochet is Irish Crochet which uses a tiny hook and crochet cotton the size of string. It takes freaking forever to make anything that way!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Garo's model looked, walked, and felt the greatest.  I loved her whole attitude.  Garo ALWAYS treats his models with this much respect and love though, like when he gets the plus-size models that Tessa would spit at.

One of my favorite Garo moments earlier this season was when people were bitching about getting plus-sized models and he was like, "Plus-sized, schmus-sized, just make a damn dress." That royal purple was gorgeous on his model's dark skin.

The pink was pretty on Jamal's model but that dress was ugly, poorly made, and barely  stayed on the model. If she took a giant step, it would have fallen down. Danielle Brooks was not here for Jamal or Tessa's bullshit and I love her for it.

I wish I WOULD have a dress made and the designer is like "OK, you said you like pink but I only do black, so it's gonna be black." I'd leave. I know that wasn't an option here, but customer service is a thing! The only positive thing I'll say about Tessa's dress was that the off-one-shoulder neckline was gorgeous on the model; she has nice shoulders. I loved how they highlighted that Garo's hems were finished v. Tessa's. Brandon is through with her, you can tell.

Hester's stuff often looks cheap and that dress was no exception - that tie-back looked cheap as hell. She has a very Hot Topic sort of vibe.

6 minutes ago, jacksgirl said:

She's a teacher, as am I, and I write thank you cards a lot.

I'm not a teacher but I just mailed a thank-you card this week. I was raised to write them - after every birthday, Christmas, or graduation, my parents would say "write your thank-yous," and when we were young kids they would sit with us and make sure we did it. An ex and I (we dated a few years ago) used to write each other letters and -gasp!- send them through the mail. I love handwritten cards, and when I see a card or set of cards I like, I buy them and I use them. Email feels really impersonal to me. I've gotten some thank-you emails for more formal things like wedding gifts and it feels ... off. (I'm an older millennial, FWIW.)

• Love 15
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I kind of wish that Tessa's client had been the teacher because what kind of adult, especially one who sews (and therefore has to use yardsticks/measuring tapes to figure out how much material to use) doesn't know that four feet is 48 inches? Does she not know how many inches are in one foot? Or does she not know simple math? We had to learn the multiplication tables up to 12x12 in elementary school.

People who sew, especially design, need to have fairly strong math skills, as you need to use them constantly. I tell my students that all the time. Heck, I'm Canadian, and we use the metric system, but I could quickly tell you that there are 48" in 4 yards.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

The pink was pretty on Jamal's model but that dress was ugly, poorly made, and barely  stayed on the model. If she took a giant step, it would have fallen down. Danielle Brooks was not here for Jamal or Tessa's bullshit and I love her for it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was seeing pink.  Everyone on the show kept saying red and I was confused.  Especially when the lipstick they put on her was clearly red.  Must just not translate very well on camera.  BTW, this may be the first time product placement on PR works on me, I'm totally going to check out that lipstick.

I also felt bad for Jamal's model because she was so much younger than the others (I think; I know when they said she was 19 during her boat tour I was like, what?!).  She would probably have felt a little uncomfortable walking down a runway anyway and then to have your dress put you in danger of your chest falling out is no good. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8