Type keyword(s) to search

The Last Ship in the Media

Sometime last year I got linked to a lengthy online focus group survey about this show, with lots of questions concerning my expectations for a Michael Bay-produced TV series. I remember telling them that with Bay involved I expected near-constant explosions and that Rhona Mitra would be required to do all her scientific investigations while dressed in a tank top.

• Love 1

Sometime last year I got linked to a lengthy online focus group survey about this show, with lots of questions concerning my expectations for a Michael Bay-produced TV series. I remember telling them that with Bay involved I expected near-constant explosions and that Rhona Mitra would be required to do all her scientific investigations while dressed in a tank top.

So can we just say it's all your fault? ;>)

Oh, at least the pilot was already filmed by then - I remember seeing photographs. If I'd thought anything I wrote would have resulted in changes other than how the TV promos were edited, my "expectations" would have borne a suspicious resemblance to Wonderfalls.

• Love 1

Renewal? After what I hope is the resolution of this season, the creation of a vaccine, where else is there to go? More crazy Russian captain stuff? The crew slogging across a desolate landscape in order to reunite with their families? An enigmatic cliffhanger that the writers will figure out how to resolve during the break? (I'm looking at you Helix.)

I really hoped that this was going to be a self contained story. Given the reality of TV, I should have known better.

Renewal? After what I hope is the resolution of this season, the creation of a vaccine, where else is there to go? More crazy Russian captain stuff? The crew slogging across a desolate landscape in order to reunite with their families? An enigmatic cliffhanger that the writers will figure out how to resolve during the break? (I'm looking at you Helix.)

Given that they began with an apocalypse, I think there's lots of room for stories beyond the vaccine without it getting silly a là Helix.

TNT began the promo campaign for the new season, which begins in June.  There was a lot of signage in the NBA All-Star weekend venues, with several mentions by the given TNT host as the cameras panned around the very large signage.  Eric Dane was shown coming into a venue as he passed some last Ship signage, which also elicited some voice over by the host.   

Given the large male demo, I think this was smart and effective marketing.

• Love 2

Well, he certainly has opinions about it, but he's not directly involved in journalism, or has any control over gaming journals, game reviews and such.  I think that whole expanding it out to social justice, making it a liberal v. conservative thing is a bit much.

I'm glad it's back - did not think it would make it pass the first season.  The weakest point of the drama was they always put a sexy young woman as the savior of the crisis.  That theme is getting so old.

(edited)

I'm glad it's back - did not think it would make it pass the first season.  The weakest point of the drama was they always put a sexy young woman as the savior of the crisis.  That theme is getting so old.

I haven't watched the premiere yet, but personally I'd take a sexy young woman savior over a gruff white male(s) (or even worse, Adam Baldwin) any day of the week.

That theme, as a matter of fact, is even older.

Edited by Mars477
  • Love 2

I just want to know who the next baddies will be, assuming this season ends with them defeating the Immunes and their hilariously over-the-top British accents.  Since we already did the Russians last season, I'm guessing either North Korea or China.  Or maybe they'll throw us a twist.  Maybe New Zealand has been gearing up for war this entire time!

Still, I'm glad.  This is perfectly good summer entertainment, in my opinion.

• Love 1

Premiere is set for June 12 at 9 p.m., and it will be two hours again.  Article and video, where it seems like not only is Bridget Regan is joining, but Dichen Lachman as well.  Also, it looks like the Chinese will be the villains in this one, which isn't the most surprising news ever.  Also not surprising, the trailer gives no hint on Dr. Scott's fate.

• Love 3

Dichen Lachman Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh. She is one of only a handful of actors that I typically can't stand no matter the role. Just seeing her makes me unreasonably angry. Uggghhh!

Happy moment: a shot of Wolf in the preview. Squee! And was that him getting his bad ass on at the end of the video? Someone should write some smutty fanfic about that man.

CNO Chandler?  He was made only CNO?  In the previews, he is displaying the rank of Captain.  Dude would have been so much more, given that he saved the presidency, if not the USA.  

Here's hoping the show actually goes somewhat edgy and relevant with Chinese tensions.  That is all too real these days.  There aren't any good answers, either.