Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 5/20/2019

Jaded
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Why is Tuesday TBA, and what does OAD mean?

OAD means Original Air Date. The day this particular episode aired. I guess everyone is taking Friday off for the long weekend. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, HaaCHOO said:

From DATELINE (online):  The View panelist Meghan McCain has tweeted urging West Coast fans not to watch today’s broadcast after she spoiled Game of Thrones outcome during the show’s Hot Topics segment.

McCain blamed producers, who she said failed to explain to her she needed to not give away the ending the morning after.

Poor thang...endearing herself to ALL coworkers!

I blame the producers for hiring someone with no common sense.  Does that count?

monday will GIF

(edited)

A friend and I were talking about this, and I do think the producers are somewhat to blame. It's not like they don't review the day's topics before taping. (EDIT:  I mean in a different sense than what @deaja mentioned, but yes, that too!)

They either should have told the panel not to reveal Game of Thrones spoilers, or they should have told Whoopi to issue a spoiler warning before the topic. 

I don't really expect a panel of 35 to 75-year-old talk show hosts to know the ins and outs of fannish culture (although Meghan is the one, because of her age and her own pop-culture interests, I would expect to understand it.)

Everyone screws up. What's so Meghan about this one is that she then gets mad at everyone else, instead of just saying (and meaning), "I'm sorry."

I just  --  can you imagine if it had been the other way around, and Sunny had spoiled Meghan?  

She'd be shrieking about that for the next year.

Edited by General Days
  • Love 23
1 hour ago, OnTime said:

Whoopi, so you want the banks to say "Ok fine, no one needs to pay back student loans because they are students loans"? Students loans are  loans. Loans are to be paid back!!

Does she think banks just grow money in a vault?

This whole idea drives me crazy.   My sons (in their 20's now)  went to state universities instead of private ones, and worked part time jobs to supplement the cost, plus we paid some, AND they took out loans.   They lived at home for a few years after college to get started, and diligently set up and followed plans to pay back what they had borrowed.  Each of them were able to pay back their loans in less than 8 years after graduating.   Some of their friends took out huge loans for private school tuition, plus living expenses, and are now very far in debt.   IF loans are being forgiven, kids like mine get punished for being responsible and planful.  They could have gone to more expensive schools, not worked, bought new cars,  but they decided to be responsible, which may turn out to be a poor choice.  

• Love 24
17 minutes ago, General Days said:

They either should have told the panel not to reveal Game of Thrones spoilers, or they should have told Whoopi to issue a spoiler warning before the topic. 

Maybe they did...but Whoopi and Meghan are probably too good to arrive on time to the morning meetings, much less listen and retain.

• LOL 8
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, General Days said:

But Sunny would have been spoiled. She was sitting right beside her. If they talked about the show in their morning meeting I have hard time believing Sunny wouldn't have mentioned she was only on season four.  

• Love 15
8 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

This whole idea drives me crazy.   My sons (in their 20's now)  went to state universities instead of private ones, and worked part time jobs to supplement the cost, plus we paid some, AND they took out loans.   They lived at home for a few years after college to get started, and diligently set up and followed plans to pay back what they had borrowed.  Each of them were able to pay back their loans in less than 8 years after graduating.   Some of their friends took out huge loans for private school tuition, plus living expenses, and are now very far in debt.   IF loans are being forgiven, kids like mine get punished for being responsible and planful.  They could have gone to more expensive schools, not worked, bought new cars,  but they decided to be responsible, which may turn out to be a poor choice.  

My niece had to borrow her entire four years at a state school. She is $100K in debt. We forgive foreign debt and corporate debt all the time. Loan forgiveness (until we fix the problem -- because the system is broken) would also be a boon to the economy. Suddenly, a bunch of 22 to 32 year olds have that much more disposable income.

What irked me about the topic (ABOVE and BEYOND Whoopi's crazy lack of understanding) is that Elizabeth Warren has been a major consumer champion on credit card debt (which was also mentioned in the segment) for at least 15 years, and her plan to  fix how we structure the financing of higher ed is one of the  cornerstones of her campaign, and not only did none  of the co-hosts think of that, none of the producers from the ABC News Division did, either. 

Instead, we just  had to  listen to Whoopi Word Salad.

• Love 18
(edited)

Uhhhhmmmm...I don't follow Meghan (or anyone) on Twitter.  I assume I'd better start (I got a Twitter account when they became available but never followed through).  Will all world catastrophe alerts come to us now via Twitter?  When will Twitter become mandatory?

Edited by HaaCHOO
I changed "ies" to "y" incorrectly.
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, blondiec0332 said:

People need to realize not everyone watches things live and have some respect.

People who work the night and weekend shifts cannot watch live.  But the Princess of Arizona wouldn't know anything about having to work to afford to watch GoT.  Unless her outfit means she is taking over the job of Aunt Jemima, Rosie the Riveter or a toilet bowl cleaner.

I don't have a Twitter account, but can see things on Twitter when someone posts a link to it or tells me the Twitter name of a poster. That is more than enough for me since it is 90% inane comments.  

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 2
  • Love 20
2 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Meghan has to make it all about her!  She might "have to leave the Earth" if Whoopi dies!  Its just too much for her!

Imagine for a moment you are Cindy McCain, or any family member for that matter, of that horrible  MM. How would you feel after that ridiculous statement? I didn't mention the chubby hubby simply because I don't believe that marriage is a warm, loving one. Each has their own agenda and is using the other to promote themselves.....JMHO.

• Love 12

Damn. The View was pre-empted in Chicago today for the mayoral inauguration. It's airing here at 2 a.m. I'll have to wait for the latest MM meltdown. And here I was, wondering if they would discuss SNL today. Guess not. 😜

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

You make good points but it’s complex. It’s so difficult for young people to get steady, well paid employment and the cost of living in the big cities in insane. So, parents and advisors and the media promote private schools and Ivy leaves and private colleges as being the only way to achieve as much or more than middle class parents. It’s not the right approach but it is what it is. I have friends who are paying for private elementary schools on credit cards and with loans, hoping it will get their kids up the ladder. I have friends who got Geography and English degrees from Ivy League schools, they are now teachers and trying to live in California, pay off 6 figure debt on a lower middle class wage. I’ll also add those two people, like myself didn’t have parental support. I couldn’t live at home after college because my parents live in a small, depressed, factory town with no employment and a 3 hour drive to a city. My parents also couldn’t afford to help with tuition so in a way your kids were fortunate to have parental help and that was there “leg up”. I still have some student loan debt because my income stagnated in the recession but my rent kept on rising. I get a headache thinking about the system, it’s so broken and yes I have no doubt people will feel they were hard done by if we try to change it. Just like people will feel hard done if we make healthcare and taxation fairer but I think we can’t keep going the way we are going. I spent a lot of time in Europe in my 20s and every EU citizen has access to free third level education in their home country. Granted their salaries are much lower and they have their challenges too but when you explain our student loan system to them and say it out loud it’s just outrageous that we let it get to this point. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

What a bitchy thing to do GoT. Yeah, er'body works your same hours MM. She did it on purpose imo and then acted all surprised that people did the gasp

I  liked the Whoopi Drs segment.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, 17wheatthins said:

Maybe MM isn’t savvy enough to think up spoiling GoT to draw attention away from John Oliver, but I’d bet cold hard cash someone she knows is and may have even put it on a blue card for her. 

Heeee nailed it 🙂

• Love 10

Meghan’s comment reminded me of Kelly Osbourne who went on some show after her coworker Joan Rivers’ passing and said “I can’t breathe” and made it all about her. Some people are like that, they must make themselves the main protagonist of every story. If someone dies or gets very ill they reframe the story as ‘look at what happening to ME’.  They are so focused on themselves they never stop to think how their words might impact loved ones or the loved ones of the person whose story they are hijacking. It’s easier to take in a very young person, when you’re over 25 it’s not cute but I would imagine it’s something that life will eventually beat out if you. I’m no fan of Meghan’s but I do hope she gets some therapy and works on her self centeredness because it must be exhausting to go through life taking everything personally and making everything about yourself. 

• Love 17
49 minutes ago, OnTime said:

Well, now Meghan will be in the headlines for spoiling the ending.

And Meghan loves being in the headlines, nothing makes her happier.

Add the fact that she can scream about snowflakes and play victim to online haters. 

• Love 17
35 minutes ago, ari333 said:

I  liked the Whoopi Drs segment.

I'm so over Whoopi, I FF'd through that segment, even though there was probably important and valuable info for all of us.

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
30 minutes ago, SPinCA said:

I’m no fan of Meghan’s but I do hope she gets some therapy and works on her self centeredness because it must be exhausting to go through life taking everything personally and making everything about yourself. 

I'd like a speech therapist to sit in on some of those sessions.  Meghan needs to learn how to say, "I'm sorry."  Not, "I'm sorrybut...."   I don't think she can pronounce those words.  She will need psychotherapy to get her to learn how to be sorry and speech therapy to help get the words out.

While the speech therapist is there, help her pronounce her "L" sounds.  "Well," (which Meghan mispronounces often) is not pronounced "weh-oh."

• LOL 5
  • Love 9
10 minutes ago, HaaCHOO said:

I'm so over Whoopi, I FF'd through that segment, even though there was probably important and valuable info for all of us.

Yeah agreed ....Why not mention the vaccine? It seems important

• Love 14
(edited)

Meghan (who has called herself the "only Republican" on the show...on occasion) speaks about Mayor Pete's appearance on FOX, "...some policies he puts in place that are just too left for me  ... There are some policy positions I don't agree with."

EGAD, PRINCESS!   He's a Democrat and YOU'RE NOT!!!

EGAD, PRINCESS! 

Edited by HaaCHOO
s p a c i n g
  • LOL 6
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

I hear you Tinkerbell. If I could like this a 1000 times I would. Congrats to your sons--well done!

• Love 10

Did Meghan just show up in her bathrobe and curlers today and insist that she wear them on the show?

What a ghastly outfit, even by her standards. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, bannana said:

Whoopi was kind of a bitch to Sunny today saying that she married well, meaning money-wise.  I bet Sunny is the major earner in that family now.

Right. And maybe Manny had a lot of student loan debt after medical school too, so that was a stupid assumption on Whoopi's part.

My daughter "married well", but she works very hard at her job and pays back her law school student loan from her own paychecks.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

My thoughts exactly when Sunny said she wanted to go to some schools she couldn't afford.  I was thinking, what is wrong with State Universities.  My sons did that and received very good educations, and were able to get good jobs.

• Love 10
(edited)

Meghan McCain said that she would probably get negative feedback from her from GOT faux pas, blurting out the ending.  After all, EVERYONE should be watching the show in real time, like she did! She seems to get a lot of negative feedback from the internet, almost on a daily basis. Perhaps she will use some time for self reflection and think before she speaks, tempering her statements. 

Nahhhh... who am I kidding?

Edited by Kenz
  • LOL 10
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Excellent post. 

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, Kenz said:

Right. And maybe Manny had a lot of student loan debt after medical school too, so that was a stupid assumption on Whoopi's part.

My daughter "married well", but she works very hard at her job and pays back her law school student loan from her own paychecks.

He’s an orthopaedic surgeon. He makes boatloads of money.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Apparently I must leave this thread to google what John Oliver said about the PoA

Yeah, he has two videos up from last night's show, but nothing marked as being about Meghan. Could someone here tell me if there's a video up of what he said? Thanks! 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, UYI said:

Yeah, he has two videos up from last night's show, but nothing marked as being about Meghan. Could someone here tell me if there's a video up of what he said? Thanks! 

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, ching5411 said:

He’s an orthopaedic surgeon. He makes boatloads of money.

True, he does now, but starting off, many doctors have a tremendous amount of medical school loans to pay off.

• Love 10

Back in the 60's i was lucky enough to go to a private university, and get this, it was 2000.00 a semester. Then I transferred to a regular Texas university and it was 500.00.  If that? I STILL FIND THIS SO HARD TO RELATE TO....GOD WHAT HAS HAPPENED? We did not take out loans, our parents figured it out, because they could fucking sorta afford it. Good lord I changed my major 5 times and nobody cared? I weep for these kids. 

• Love 16
9 minutes ago, falltime said:

@1:11 can anyone make out what Joy asks the doctors, MM was louder.

🙉 I will never get used to MM's loud speaking.

“Should everybody get a.....” , that’s all I heard. At least the doctor answered, despite Meghan’s mouth.

Meghan is awful.

• Love 8

NutMeg was wrong for spoiling the show on tv.  They should have had a disclaimer. Now had she spoiled it on social media, like Twitter, it would be the viewers fault. I don't even watch GOT and already knew the ending because it was spoiler weeks ago after they leaked some of the shows. Twitter has a function where you can mute certain words if you want to be spoiler free for shows. In this day in age, you can't expect folks not to talk about a show the minute it ends so everybody can watch at their own pace. The same applies to movies.

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, falltime said:

@1:11 can anyone make out what Joy asks the doctors, MM was louder.

🙉 I will never get used to MM's loud speaking.

I think it's: "Should everybody get a lung X-ray?"

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Kenz said:

True, he does now, but starting off, many doctors have a tremendous amount of medical school loans to pay off.

My cousin's daughter graduated from veterinary school and has $250k in student loans. Crazy. 

• Love 5

I went to my third choice college because it was in my hometown and I lived with my parents (I know, that is horrifying to most people), but I also graduated without any student loan debt.  I'm old and it was back in the day when I could work and save all my paychecks and pay my tuition (my parents did pay for my books).  I wish I had gone to another university, but my parents did not want to take out any loans (or have me take out any loans) when "there's a perfectly good university three miles from the house."

To get back on topic, I don't even watch GOT, but for Meggie to give away the ending was just a crappy thing for her to do.  I usually think I should wait a week before talking about a show because a lot of times I can't watch anything until the weekend and I figure other people also might need to wait.

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, WonderWuman73 said:

I’m a diehard GOT fan and watched it live ( loved it btw no matter how many effing times you shouted  you hated it ok we get it!!!) but  spoiling it for others was the exactly the reason why she’s not liked. 

I loved it too. It left me very satisfied. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

McCain blamed producers, whom she said failed to explain to her she needed to not give away the ending the morning after.

Poor thang...endearing herself to ALL coworkers!

What a

bugs bunny eye roll GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem

• LOL 7
  • Love 4

Hey, I just realized that on the same day that NutMeg tweeted (and deleted) her outrage about John Oliver wanting her to cease existing 🙄 that she then told the world that if Whoopi dies, she will have to cease existing. 😲❄️

• LOL 13
  • Love 3

If Whoopi paid off one student’s loan a year would be nice. She said parents are responsible for student loans in case of death  can someone verify this?  I find that hard to believe. Here in CA you don’t even have to pay a spouses credit card in their name only after death  . I did it because it was the right thing to do.  

Isn't  MM vain enough to watch a taping of the show and hear how she’s screaming? 

• Love 10
(edited)

I think it could be true athousand. Their parents may have co-signed for the loans.

I co-signed for my niece's law school ($90T) and then thought OMG what if something happens to her (like she died, otherwise I trusted her totally). So I took out a life insurance policy on her which she did not mind at all......and when told she would need to take their physical she said - "no problem, when and where."

Everything worked out fine and it has been paid off for several years.

Edited by maggiemae
'
  • Love 15