Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E23: The Change Constant; S12.E24: The Stockholm Syndrome

22 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Anyone else watch Young Sheldon? The ending was so sweet.

(posting this here only because it ties in with BBT so if you didn't watch you should; the last few minutes, at least.)

Don’t usually watch it but I heard there was a cameo so I watched it.  Very sweet and timely actually.

• Love 10

It was the best of episodes; it was the worst of episodes... Whoops, no room for literary references in Sheldon's world.  

Hated the continued Sheldon-centric storyline.  Hated the unrealistic awarding of the Nobel Prize.  Hated Sheldon's lack of growth, just so the show could have the Big Redeeming Moment from the podium.  Loved Leonard slapping Sheldon.  Loved Leonard calling Sheldon a jerk.  REALLY loved Amy giving Sheldon a big dose of reality.  But I also loved the Sheldon and Penny moments; their relationship has been the most important one one the show.  And at least with her pregnancy, they acknowledged that she's been a Mom to Sheldon all along, and that she really might be good at it and want to continue motherhood.  And as audience-manipulative as that podium speech was, it did work.

REALLY missed seeing Mary and Professor Proton.

• Love 15
(edited)

I was a little bugged by Stuart being such an inept babysitter. He was basically their nanny for how long but they go away for a few days and everything goes to hell?

Was just watching the farewell special with Kaley and Johnny...he looks so weird without the glasses.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 22
3 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Don’t usually watch it but I heard there was a cameo so I watched it.  Very sweet and timely actually.

I’ve already read abt it, so I’ll have to wait until it shows up On Demand.

Just like when Seinfeld ended, I'm sad it's over, but the finale wasn't really that great.

12 years and they still don't know what to do with Raj ? I suppose they could have picked a more random girl to have him bring to the Nobel thing, but not much more ! What was the point of that ?

Well, at least Sheldon said some things that meant something, though we all know, if the show was continuing, he would be right back to his awfulness, probably by the next episode.

Great show in the beginning, just kind of fizzled out at the end. And that's coming from someone who loved & recommended the show for years, to people.

• Love 12

For the most part I thought it was pretty good, but there were still a lot of things about the characters that I wanted revealed during this past season that they didn't have time for.  That was a bit disappointing.  I'm mostly disappointed that Raj's storyline with Anu was pretty much dropped the past few episodes.  Why did they bother putting them together in the first place?  It was a waste of a storyline.  

I liked how they handled having the elevator working again.  It was cute seeing the doors open and there stood Penny!  I wasn't expecting it to play out that way.  I figured they'd do something, so that was a nice way to do it.  I am also happy that we got to see Howard & Bernadette's kids.  They were both so cute!  

It didn't really play out the way I thought the finale would, but it could've been worse, I suppose.  I'll just have to live with all of the unanswered questions I have!  

• Love 5
(edited)
10 minutes ago, willco said:

Well, at least Sheldon said some things that meant something, though we all know, if the show was continuing, he would be right back to his awfulness, probably by the next episode.

At the end, Sheldon made me think of the King of Siam. I suppose Lady Tiang would be Amy, and Penny would be Mrs. Anna. 😢

Edited by ProTourist
  • Love 2

Well, I officially teared up at Sheldon's speech. It's the type of speech I like to think I'd be able to give in that scenario. We don't tell the people in our lives how much they mean to us enough.

I'm disappointed they had Penny pregnant though. She was always resolutely against her own Children. I liked seeing that, where on TV if you don't have kids there's something off about you.

It all felt like the appropriate end. Everyone's stories were wrapped but allow us to imagine what comes next.

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, Babalooie said:

I recognized Jim Parsons' voice singing the acoustic version of the theme song at the end.  He was breaking up a little at the end of it.

No, I’m sure that was Ed Robertson from the Barenaked Ladies. 

• Love 18

“The Werewolf Transformation” happens to be on now and it amuses me that when Leonard left the barber shop after Sheldon stormed out Leonard said “when you tell this story later the word we use is ‘quirky’.”

Now I'm wondering if this is a callback or happy coincidence.

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
(edited)

I too got emotional at the end, being a rabid fan since Season 2. But overall I was a bit underwhelmed at the finale. There were a few plot twists most of us saw coming - the elevator being fixed, Penny being pregnant, etc.

I'm just a little disappointed that in a show that had become all about Sheldon that the series finale was basically...all about Sheldon.  The growth and resolve Leonard displayed in the last few episodes was nice, his character arc pretty much got a solid completion.

But Raj's?  I dunno. I thought it was going to end up being either Anu, a return of a past GF (the Housekeeper or Yvette the Vet) or him ending up solo. Even though it often works out that way IRL, I'm a bit disappointed that he was the only core player that ends up single.

Overall, it was a great 12 years, and BBT will probably go down in TV history as one of the top ten sitcoms of all time.  Really going to miss them.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 9

Th emotion kind of blindsided me because I honestly thought I was bored with these characters, but I was hit with a surprising amount of tears between this and Young Sheldon.

Looking back, I really appreciate the development of the women's friendships just as much as the men's. Amy and Bernie and Penny together were some of my favorite moments.

Looking forward to seeing what else the cast gets up to, particularly Simon. He's the best comedic actor of the group, if you ask me.

• Love 20

I liked Raj taking Amy shopping.  It was nice to see Raj in friend mode.

I liked Amy pointing out to Sheldon how much all of them put up with from him, and Sheldon actually listening to her.

I would have liked the book end of Leonard/Penny having a baby more if they hadn't done the stupid plot of Penny doesn't want to have kids.

Bernie and Howard discussing how they were looking forward to being able to sleep when they were away on vacation was funny.

• Love 10
(edited)

Weak and predictable. They took the easy way out. There is no way that group of people will remain in the same place for long. But the show stuck its fingers in its ears and went nah-nah-nah.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 4

They blew up the elevator with rocket fuel.  It should have taken days to fix - how could no one have noticed that people were working on it?  But guys, keeping taking the stairs.  Your hearts will thank you in 30 years.  

I can't imagine how excited Mayim must have been to dress that way finally!  Sheldon's reaction reminded me of my nephew (now in his 30s) at the age of 18 months, who freaked out when his mom, who always had long hair, got a really short haircut. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Traveller519 said:

I'm disappointed they had Penny pregnant though. She was always resolutely against her own Children.

Was she? My memory is hazy but to me it seems like her not wanting kids only came up in the second half of this season. It didn't seem like she was militant about it (in the sense that she had been vocally against having kids for years). She and Leonard didn't even discuss it before marriage, an odd omission for someone who truly, 100% does not want to have children.

• Love 13

I loved it!  I'm almost always disappointed in finales, but this one was fantastic.  The group was still together and they didn't do any stupid twists or nose thumbing to the audience. 

I'm glad Sheldon won the Nobel.  He's talked about it for 12 years so it wouldn't have been right to end it without him winning, plus he's my favorite character because he's the funniest.  Penny's pregnancy was a cute callback to the first episode.  The show sort of limped to the end; but all in all, it was a nice way to end it.  Stuff changes, but stuff stays the same too and the final shot was perfect.

• Love 17
2 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I never cared about Penny's last name, but I swear Simon Helberg promised (a long time ago) that we would find out the significance of the pin on his turtleneck - that's the one thing I wanted to know! 

That's what I was waiting for as well!

• Love 1

I just thought of something I would have liked: in the very last scene, if Sheldon had been sitting on the floor and one of the others in his spot, it would have proved that he really was committed to growth.

• Love 14

I thought the ending was very uneven. There were elements I liked and others I didn't. I still cried.

I always thought Penny's "I don't want kids" never rang true, so I was really happy she was pregnant at the end. And in any event, the pregnancy was unplanned.

I hated Stuart's incompetence taking care of the Wolowitzes' kids. He took care of Debbie, and he'd been their nanny for a long time, so he should have been fine.

I disliked the ladies talking quite loudly on the night flight about Penny's pregnancy. How rude to the other passengers.

I liked Amy telling Sheldon off, and both their speeches at the ceremony. 

What was the point of Anu? For that matter, what's the point of an arranged marriage if you don't actually, you know, get married?

I would have been happy if Raj was happily single, but he still wanted the unrealistic movie version of love and marriage. 

Someone mentioned above that we were cheated of a Raj/Amy shopping montage; I agree. That would have been cool. And to the tune of "Pretty Woman."

32 minutes ago, Ottis said:

Weak and predictable. They took the easy way out. There is no way that group of people will remain in the same place for long. But the show stuck its fingers in its ears and went nah-nah-nah.

You don't believe people remain friends for decades? They work together and they see each other daily; they're in each other's lives constantly. Friendships can and do endure.

• Love 17
(edited)
2 hours ago, Jessa said:
2 hours ago, Babalooie said:

I recognized Jim Parsons' voice singing the acoustic version of the theme song at the end.  He was breaking up a little at the end of it.

No, I’m sure that was Ed Robertson from the Barenaked Ladies. 

33 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

It absolutely was Ed Robertson singing an acoustic version of the theme song and there's a story behind it too. 🙂
'Big Bang Theory' Creator Chuck Lorre Explains the Series Finale's Sweet Last Scene

Huh. Was he trying to do Jim Parson's voice, or does Ed Robertson just have an uncannily similar voice?

1 hour ago, Danielg342 said:

xsoft-a-sound.jpg.pagespeed.ic.UoWhSBDFC

That's how you close a series folks. No big gimmicks, no big dramas, no convoluted storylines...just a simple, straightforward episode that allows me to enjoy the characters one last time.

Really, I don't think there's any more that I can say other than I appreciate that this was kept simple. Saying goodbye is hard enough, having to do so and follow along a story that takes too many turns asks too much.

I really think the Big Bang crew nailed the finale. Don't get to say that often. Thanks for 12 memorable years...I doubt we'll have a show quite like this one ever again.

I agree it was a well-crafted, excellently-written series finale.
Too bad all of the episodes couldn't have been so well done, but many were.
ETA: This episode demonstrates that many of the episodes needed to be longer to be successful.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

Sigh, this was underwhelming.  I am miffed that they made Penny get pregnant after all.  Because, you know, all women will come around to wanting to have kids (eye roll).  There were a couple of laughs, but this fell short for me.  Fortunately, they fixed that with YS.

• Love 6

Well, even though two of my own predictions came true (the elevator and Penny being pregnant) and there were several other nice touches, I came away feeling underwhelmed and a bit cheated by this episode.  I was hoping we'd at least see Sheldon's mom again and that Raj would have at least a glimmer of hope for future romance.  I guess they just don't make final episodes like they used to.  I remember loving the finale of "Frasier", my other long time favorite sitcom.  This, well, it was just OK.  Too bad they ended with stuff we'd really want to see the outcome of, like Penny's pregnancy.  That's not in my opinion the best thing on which to tie up a 12 year series.  It's more of a beginning than a natural transition or endpoint.  I was not unhappy that they made her pregnant or that it was an accident.  I found that pretty realistic because a lot of women accidentally get pregnant and then suddenly change their minds and are happy about it in the end.  I did love Sheldon's speech, though.  Oh well, this has been a disappointing TV season for me with shows like this ending and other really good shows getting canceled.

• Love 5

I liked that the elevator got fixed.  I liked that Sheldon learned not to be so self centered.  

I would have preferred Raj get together with Anu, but I kind of like that they left him unattached.  Shows that not everybody needs to be in a relationship.

Would have been nice to see Mary Cooper, but I guess everybody can't fly to Sweden.  If Mary was there, you'd expect Amy's parents, and maybe they couldn't get them.

I like that they showed Stuart, but I didn't like that suddenly he was an incompetent babysitter.  He's always been very capable.  Too bad they didn't show Denise.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

I'm just a little disappointed that in a show that had become all about Sheldon that the series finale was basically...all about Sheldon. 

It was too much Sheldon for me. 

42 minutes ago, EllenB said:

I just thought of something I would have liked: in the very last scene, if Sheldon had been sitting on the floor and one of the others in his spot, it would have proved that he really was committed to growth.

Yeah, instead of one speech. But Jim did a good job with the speech. 

4 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I like that they showed Stuart, but I didn't like that suddenly he was an incompetent babysitter.  He's always been very capable.  Too bad they didn't show Denise.

Yeah, I guess they needed to make a dramatic choice for whether Howard and Bernadette would stay for the ceremony. But it felt off. 

• Love 10

I liked the finale; if the series had to end, this was pretty good. I liked the elevator repair, seeing the Walowitz children at last, Amy's makeover, Leonard and Penny's pregnancy, and that S&A won the prize. But there were a few things that didn't seem quite right.

• The choice of 'surprise cameo' was odd. Do any of these characters have a serious interest in Buffy the Vampire Slayer / Sarah Michelle Geller? Not that I recall. I would have expected someone more from their universe, like Patrick Stewart (I suppose Sheldon's restraining order would not apply in Sweden) Zachary Quinto, or Harrison Ford.
  • No parents at the awards ceremony? I thought we'd see Amy's mother and father -- would have loved another opportunity to see those two -- and Sheldon's mother. It doesn't make sense to me that they would stay away. S&A paid for all their friends to make the trip, they could have paid for their parents.
  • I was surprised they were all back where they started in the end, all in the same apartment in Pasadena, as though there has been no personal growth. I expected Raj to hop over to London after Anu, and for S&A to be offered professorships at Stephen Hawking's Cambridge University, with Sheldon perhaps taking over Hawking's former position -- so the three of them living in England. The Walowitz family I imagined moving to Houston, where Howard takes a new position with NASA. I then imagined Stuart and Denise moving into S&A's old apartment across from Leonard and Penny, helping them out with the new baby, the four of them continuing on with their same jobs but new personal happiness.
  • Love 6
(edited)

The choice of 'surprise cameo' was odd. Do any of these characters have a serious interest in Buffy the Vampire Slayer / Sarah Michelle Geller? Not that I recall. I would have expected someone more from their universe, like Patrick Stewart (I suppose Sheldon's restraining order would not apply in Sweden) Zachary Quinto, or Harrison Ford.

There was the one episode (from a fairly early season I think) where Leonard really tries to get Penny interested in Buffy because he's convinced it will make her interested in genre TV.

I like that they showed Stuart, but I didn't like that suddenly he was an incompetent babysitter.  He's always been very capable.  Too bad they didn't show Denise.

I also didn't think it was all that realistic to leave the Wolokids with Stuart and Denise if Bernadette's parents were ready and willing to take care of them. (I did laugh at the "Bernadette's dad hugged Stuart and cracked a rib" line.)

I do agree that I wish they'd been able to get Laurie Metcalf for one last appearance as Mary Cooper. She has always been the show's funniest guest star by a country mile imo. And hey, she could've brought Sara Gilbert back to be Leslie Winkle one last time too!

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 17

I thought the finale was great- I hadn't watched in a few seasons- but just got caught up recently when I heard it was ending. 

I thought the elevator reveal was awesome. I thought it was a perfect ending. 

I haven't seen this mentioned- but Penny was wearing the shirt she wore in the first episode when she meets Leonard & Sheldon in the last scene with them all sitting around eating Chinese! 

• Useful 6
  • Love 12
17 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

There was the one episode (from a fairly early season I think) where Leonard really tries to get Penny interested in Buffy because he's convinced it will make her interested in genre TV.

That was The Closure Alternative from the 6th season. 

38 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Would have been nice to see Mary Cooper, but I guess everybody can't fly to Sweden.  If Mary was there, you'd expect Amy's parents, and maybe they couldn't get them.

I’m surprised we didn’t get at least one last phone call from Mary. The call from Kripke really wasn’t needed since he had already reappeared a couple of episodes ago. I think this is the first season without a Laurie Metcalf appearance. 

After thinking more about this finale, I have two more thoughts.  The first is that Amy's hair was actually shorter after the "two months" passed than it was right after the makeover.  I wonder what the story was with that.  I liked it better in its longer version. 

The second is that I have the nagging feeling that "Buffy" was added after some discussion and possible disagreement among TPTB on who Raj would meet on the plane and go with him to the award ceremony.  They decided to end with someone that would not be a romantic interest and who would seem totally random to up the humor factor.  I didn't love that.  One of the theories people were thinking up for him was that he would meet someone in the finale and it would look like they might have a future together.  Instead, they chose to go with someone who made it VERY clear that "this is not a romantic date".  Well, ho-kay, but not what many fans would have wanted.

• Love 6

Sheldon's speech was great.  He made sure to give everybody a title, for all the crap he's given Howard, it was heartwarming to hear him say "Astronaut Howard Wolowitz", and say about Penny and Leonard that they were his 2 dearest friends.  Good job Sheldon.

And the meal set to a slow version of the theme was the perfect way to end the show.

• Love 21

I forgot to say that I also liked that the vanity card at the end simply said "The end".

I thought the most touching Big Bang farewell, however, was at the end of Young Sheldon of all places.  I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it. 

29 minutes ago, Dani said:

I’m surprised we didn’t get at least one last phone call from Mary. The call from Kripke really wasn’t needed since he had already reappeared a couple of episodes ago. I think this is the first season without a Laurie Metcalf appearance. 

Wow, I hadn't realized she hadn't made an appearance this season.  Must have been busy.

• Love 9
(edited)

I’m of two minds. On the one hand, are you kidding me??? Twelve damn years and it’s STILL THE SHELDON SHOW???? That’s all we get. Really. Talk about anti-climatic. I’m so disappointed. Screw you show.  

However...

On the other hand?  Sheldon’s speech made me cry. 

Ugh.  What’s one more disappointing series ending among the peat bog that is the disappointing endings we’ve gotten thus far? Why be surprised at this one?

Edited by hnygrl
  • Love 6

I can't figure out why, but I was bored and disappointed.  The highlight was the Sheldon slap.  I thought it was genius to incorporate doing Sheldon a favor with giving Leonard the satisfaction of doing it for all of us.  No violent tendencies here.   I'd never slap a human, but find it immensely satisfying when a TV character gets the slap they deserve.

Amy looked gorgeous.

I think Raj ends up with Buffy the Vampire Slayer -- the CHARACTER, NOT actress Sarah Michele Prinz (<-as Wikipedia refers to her) who is married.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I would have preferred Raj get together with Anu, but I kind of like that they left him unattached.  Shows that not everybody needs to be in a relationship.

I'm okay with at least one of the group remaining single for now—I just wonder if in the future it will be deemed racist that the one person not romantically matched is also the only main character who is a person of color.

Also, Penny, who had expressed strongly that she did not want to have children got pregnant when she was drunk and could not have given consent.

Is it possible the writers included these two controversial bits on purpose to mark the moment of a sea change in history spanned by the show's dozen years without using the catchphrases of #MeToo and Black Lives Matter?*

*I mean this in the cultural sense (which the show is about) and not in the political sense, but, out of respect for the board's rules, let's consider this a rhetorical question that does not need or want an answer, especially since it would require a time machine to really answer.