Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
17wheatthins

Press Your Luck

"Press Your Luck" is a game of wits, strategy and even higher stakes as contestants try to avoid the iconic and devilish WHAMMY for a chance at life-changing cash and prizes. During each game, three contestants compete against each other answering questions to earn spins on the Big Board. Contestants then use their spins to win cash and prizes while trying to avoid the WHAMMY, who could take all of their winnings and leave them with nothing. The winning contestant moves on to the All-New Bonus Round to face the WHAMMY in a final battle for the chance to win a fortune. John Quinn is the showrunner for "Press Your Luck," in addition to serving as an executive producer, along with Fremantle's Jennifer Mullin.

coming to ABC June 12, 2019

Elizabeth Banks is hosting this. I was hoping the format would be more like the original than that awful HSN reboot but the addition of a bonus round makes me doubtful. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 1:05 PM, Maverick said:

Elizabeth Banks is hosting this. I was hoping the format would be more like the original than that awful HSN reboot but the addition of a bonus round makes me doubtful. 

The promos have me hopeful. The set, game board, and animations are old school.

• Like 1

Watched the "Special Preview" last night after The Bachelorette.

Banks was fine as the host. I wondered why they didn't just get a game show host until I realized there aren't any of her age anymore: the disappearance of daytime game shows (other than The Price is Right) means there's no place for a conventional host to develop. Even Chuck Woolery (literally the only out-of-work conventional game show host I could think of other than 95-year-old Bob Barker) is 78 and probably wouldn't appeal to the demographic ABC is shooting for.

The layout and format were 100% old school. The Bachelor-themed Whammy was cute.

The bonus game is a little contrived and hokey, but I understand the need to fill out an hour. It airs again tonight (along with new versions of Card Sharks and Match Game) and we'll probably tune in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Watched the "Special Preview" last night after The Bachelorette.

Banks was fine as the host. I wondered why they didn't just get a game show host until I realized there aren't any of her age anymore: the disappearance of daytime game shows (other than The Price is Right) means there's no place for a conventional host to develop. Even Chuck Woolery (literally the only out-of-work conventional game show host I could think of other than 95-year-old Bob Barker) is 78 and probably wouldn't appeal to the demographic ABC is shooting for.

The layout and format were 100% old school. The Bachelor-themed Whammy was cute.

The bonus game is a little contrived and hokey, but I understand the need to fill out an hour. It airs again tonight (along with new versions of Card Sharks and Match Game) and we'll probably tune in.

I watched a bit and it seemed okay. I would prefer it to be a half hour though. 

• Like 1

I watched this out of nostalgia.  I loved the original format in my youth.  It was fine as a background noise show.  I liked the bonus round only because I liked the bonus items on the board that was individualized for the player. 

I rather enjoyed watching it last night. Oprah "everybody gets a whammy" was my favorite. they got some pretty awesome prizes on the board aside from the cash.  I felt for the lady who got whammied out of a Jaguar. Man that one hurt.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Why wouldn't ABC's target demo allow for an older host?

Just now, bmasters9 said:

I was more thinking of the target demographic for a game show airing at 9 or 10 at night. I could be wrong.

In the interim, I did think of one more famous out-of-work game show host: Wink Martindale. But he's 85 years old himself.

• Like 1

The target demo for the ABC Fun & Games shows is still 18-49 as that's the target demo for all prime time network shows.  There might be a little latitude since it's a cheap summer show, but still.

The show was perfectly fine beside the Deal or No Deal-esque bonus round.  It's not a total deal breaker, but they should have divided the show into two half hour episodes like Match Game and Pyramid.

• Like 3

I really liked that they stuck to the old school format. (Full disclosure: Press Your Luck is probably my favorite game show ever). I especially appreciated that they used the old animation style for the Whammies. 

The bonus round made it drag a little. They probably could have stuck with a 1/2 hour show and been fine. Still came with the heartbreak of a Whammy taking all your stuff. 

• Like 3

One thing that struck me was how good the players were at the game mechanics. The contestants seemed much better prepared than those on other ABC reboots.

They seemed like people who watch the show daily unlike the Match Game contestants who don't get the rhythm of the show at all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

I think the reason there is because she coming out of the Brightburn movie, even though the movie itself didn't do too well.

• Like 1

Terrell looks a lot like a goatee'd Kenan Thompson.  He hit two of his dream items during the bonus round!  That was amazing.

I wanted the tall guy to win mainly because I thought it would be funny to see him standing next to Elizabeth.

Edited by junemeatcleaver
  • Like 2

The show was just ok.  However, this host was simply awful! There had to be another choice.  I won’t watch again simply because of that.  Would rather turn off the tv and read.

• Like 1

I'm not wild about the host.   She always seems to be yelling to be heard above the din of the crowd.    According to my cable guide, Tuesday's episode was the 8th episode produced and last night's was the 4th so it's not a matter of her settling into the role. I like the first half where it's all the classic game.   The best part of the show, old and new, it the second round where spins are bouncing back and forth and banks are being built and lost.     I know it's all part of the game, but I would be so pissed at having spins passed to me.   The woman who lost the Jag and the guy who had over $50k and lost it all on the last spin were hard to watch.   I'd be cussing out the person who passed me the spins in my head.

I'm not wild about the bonus round at all.   It's too much like Deal or No Deal with the drawn out decisions, the sob stories, the friends and family rooting section and the personalized prizes.   I don't even like the 30 seconds the players yammer on about themselves on Jeopardy so having to sit through 30 minutes of teary-eyed players and spouses (completely with waded up Kleenex daubing their eyes) isn't pleasant.  I wish they'd just play two games because I love how true the first round is to the original.  

• Like 1

Wish Peter Tomarken was still alive. He'd be my obvious choice as the host for this revival.

• Like 3

Was there less yelling and screaming on this show when I was a kid or do I just not remember how much there was? Or maybe I just have less tolerance for it. I've generally been enjoying these rebooted games (still waiting for Hollywood Squares!) but this got to be a little much by the end of an hour.

• Like 2

Oh there was a LOT of yelling and screaming on the original show. I’d say this iteration has probably the same amount, to be honest. 

I miss Peter Tomarken though because he was so wonderfully snarky without going overboard. Here are a couple of my favorite gifs of him with what was probably running through his head at the time 😂

EF05FC01-E5E8-45FF-B42A-312486F10A5C.gif

5F8243C9-7CB2-4998-8FBF-79B537EA1D5B.gif

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2

25 minutes ago, 17wheatthins said:

Oh there was a LOT of yelling and screaming on the original show. I’d say this iteration has probably the same amount, to be honest. 

Guess I'm just getting old, then... 😜

• Laugh 1

1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

Guess I'm just getting old, then... 😜

Come park your rocking chair beside mine! 😂

• Laugh 2

I still remember the whole controversy in the original game when that contestant, Michael Larson, managed to memorize the board pattern/algorithm and won a ton of money. I recall reading those in charge did not want to pay him, accusing him of cheating, but I guess that was obviously overruled. Always wondered what Peter Tomarken was thinking then. Of course, Larson also had a downward spiral afterwards, losing all that money, and died young, so there was no happy ending all the way around.

Hope the new board has changed its pattern!

• Like 2

On 6/15/2019 at 4:29 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Hope the new board has changed its pattern!

I would assume technology has improved enough where there is no pattern and they're using a randomizer

• Like 3

Yeah, I know immediately after Larson they increased the number of patterns of the lights.

And with todays technology that shouldn't be a problem anymore, there should be waaaay more combos possible.

• Like 3

I just caught the first episode on Hulu.  And I'm going to make myself vulnerable here, but I got legitimately emotional when the first guy won his husband's dream car.

• Like 1

I just find that with many of these games when they reboot them, they think they need to add too much personal connection and emotion to the game.  Like the first episode of Press Your Luck, that couple just got on my nerves with the tears, etc, about the car.  This is Press Your Luck.  I am with some others that think it is a bit shouty, etc.  It is okay for 10 minutes, and then I am good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alexa said:

I am with some others that think it is a bit shouty, etc.

But this show was always "shouty"! The reason I love this show is because I remember how much my youngest son loved it...He was 9 when it came on the air and he rooted for the whammys! He would watch and just laugh and laugh when the cute little whammys  would scoop up all of the money! He didn't care about the contestants...he wanted the Whammy to win!!!

• Like 4

I honestly adore the personalized prizes in the bonus round.  I mean, I don't know if I'd want to be Michael Bolton's tour bus for a week, but I think it's really cool they'd make that happen for someone.