Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
BetterButter

Star Trek: Picard Anticipation

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Llywela said:

I don't think it is about ego. I think he explained it a bit better in some of the Comic Con interviews over the weekend, where he said that he likes to keep moving forward, and so wasn't interested in just doing TNG redux because they've already done that, and it would feel like a backward step. But what ultimately sold him on this project was its forward vision. That it builds on the past and the history and the baggage, but allows the character and the universe to move forward. Which is only right and proper, imo, because it is 20-odd years later, naturally all the characters would have moved on with their lives in that time, none of them would still be in the same place, and it would feel really stale and unnatural if they were.

Maybe. I saw some of those same videos, and with actors, almost everything is about ego at some point. The show can move forward with the characters, without being the ST of 30 years ago, in many ways. FWIW, I agree it should. The devil is in the details. The first trailer looked awful, with Picard wandering around his vineyard. I expected a hamlet soliloquy at any moment, and feared this was what interested Stewart. The newer trailers look much better, with a purpose and story beyond one man mulling over his choices. So I'm more hopeful than I was.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Alex Kurtzman is involved in this, so the fan service will be excessive (Troi and Ryker), unnecessary (7 of 9), and even continuity breaking (Data).  He wrote Star Trek: Into Darkness, after all.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/25/2019 at 4:56 PM, mac123x said:

Alex Kurtzman is involved in this, so the fan service will be excessive (Troi and Ryker), unnecessary (7 of 9), and even continuity breaking (Data).  He wrote Star Trek: Into Darkness, after all.

Really? Well color me surprised. I hated that movie. Thought it was horrible. That said, I disagree with you on the rest of it. I'm fine with fan service, as long as it's handled well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I noticed something interesting on how they have gone back to a more color uniform. I do like the new com badges, but interesting they went back to three piece uniforms with color tops. Something the cast all talked about after they did the DS9 uniforms was how much more comfortable the costumes were. They could roll them up. They weren't riding up like the old ones. Even when they went to the "grey" movie uniforms. They even said how they were more breathable. Where Discovery said the uniforms varied depending on the episode. 

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, Anduin said:

I know he's a Trek veteran, but why? Is it just because of the last name? I didn't watch much Voyager. Does he have any special Borg knowledge outside of removing Seven's implants?

As of the end of Voyager, the holo-Doc probably has more direct experience of working with Borg than any other medical practitioner in the Federation - not just Seven, but the Borg children who also ended up on the ship. This show is set 20 years later but if, as seems likely, the central storyline revolves around the Borg, then yeah, the Doctor probably is a logical person to show up at some point.

54 minutes ago, readster said:

I noticed something interesting on how they have gone back to a more color uniform. I do like the new com badges, but interesting they went back to three piece uniforms with color tops. Something the cast all talked about after they did the DS9 uniforms was how much more comfortable the costumes were. They could roll them up. They weren't riding up like the old ones. Even when they went to the "grey" movie uniforms. They even said how they were more breathable. Where Discovery said the uniforms varied depending on the episode. 

Yeah, it is interesting, although I'm not sure how much in the way of Starfleet uniforms we are going to be seeing in this show, since the ship Picard ends up on is independent rather than a Starfleet vessel - in the trailer, the main crew are all in civvies (albeit civvies colour-coded in shades of black and grey).

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

 I'm a little annoyed they're apparently making the Borg a big part of the story.  I felt like TNG went to the well once too often with the Descent, then you had the movies doing a Borg story, then Voyager using them as villains and even the relaunch novels had an over-the-top Borg arc.   And besides, by the time Voyager was done with them the Borg were basically space zombies out of the pages of a comic book.   Add to that the Borg, bent on assimilating the human race, apparently had a magic tunnel that opened up to Earth  but never bothered to use it and only sent a single ship through conventional space to try and take the planet.   The whole thing was a mess by the end and I wish they would just do something new with the franchise rather than revisit the Borg for the umpteenth time or more prequel nonsense.

 One good thing about using the Borg is that they're using characters from different shows, which I've always thought would be the best way to continue on the TNG era.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/31/2019 at 2:05 PM, legaleagle53 said:

I was really hoping the Doctor would show up, because he was always one of my favorites. Plus he and Seven were often hilarious together and his crush on her managed to be more sad than icky. I admit it, I kind of shipped them. (and on that note, if Seven is actually married to Chakotay in this timeline I swear I will throw a shoe at my TV).

I never thought I would ever say this, but these days I would love them to get Will Wheaton back on Star Trek and give him a chance to retrospectively fix some of The Horror From Outer Space that was Wesley Crusher.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Lebanna said:

if Seven is actually married to Chakotay in this timeline I swear I will throw a shoe at my TV

I join you in the shoe-throwing. Those two had no chemistry whatsoever

Edited by marinw
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, marinw said:

I join you in the shoe-throwing. Those two had no chemistry whatsoever

What annoyed viewers about Seven/Chakotay wasn't the lack of chemistry. it was that there had never been any kind of buildup or foundation laid for the relationship -- it was just suddenly there, like Athena springing fully grown from the head of Zeus. The natural reaction of the viewers was understandably "WTF?  Where did THAT come from?"

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

5 hours ago, Lebanna said:

I was really hoping the Doctor would show up, because he was always one of my favorites. Plus he and Seven were often hilarious together and his crush on her managed to be more sad than icky.

Harry Kim was also a broken hearted puppy......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/31/2019 at 10:02 AM, Llywela said:

As of the end of Voyager, the holo-Doc probably has more direct experience of working with Borg than any other medical practitioner in the Federation - not just Seven, but the Borg children who also ended up on the ship. This show is set 20 years later but if, as seems likely, the central storyline revolves around the Borg, then yeah, the Doctor probably is a logical person to show up at some point.

There's also one other link that could connect the holo-Doc to this story: Data.  Specifically, both Data and the Doctor had to similar journeys towards being recognized as actual sentient and sapient life-forms, despite their "artificial" origins.  The main differences were android vs. hologram, and Data being recognized as "alive" by the Enterprise crew from the start, while the Doctor had to struggle to get that recognition from the Voyager crew.

It will probably have more to do with his Borg experience, given the other clues.  But it would be nice if they acknowledged the other link as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/1/2019 at 6:05 PM, legaleagle53 said:

What annoyed viewers about Seven/Chakotay wasn't the lack of chemistry. it was that there had never been any kind of buildup or foundation laid for the relationship -- it was just suddenly there, like Athena springing fully grown from the head of Zeus. The natural reaction of the viewers was understandably "WTF?  Where did THAT come from?"

I could hug this post. Exactly... it seemed so out of left field.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/2/2019 at 10:40 PM, AntiBeeSpray said:

I could hug this post. Exactly... it seemed so out of left field.

I agree.  I've always thought that Season Six's "One Small Step" could have served as the set up for Seven and Chakotay's relationship.

Quote

I think he explained it a bit better in some of the Comic Con interviews over the weekend, where he said that he likes to keep moving forward, and so wasn't interested in just doing TNG redux because they've already done that, and it would feel like a backward step.

If any fan wants a TNG redux, they could always watch "The Orville".

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I was trying to be very cautious about this series. trying to play "wait and see" so I wouldn't be too disappointed. But everything is pointing to this actually being *good* that I can't help but feel really excited.

...and hearing Picard telling someone to "Engage" with that little smile...I might have squeed and bounced up and down for a few moments...

😄 

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Riker !! Troi !!  More 7 of 9 kicking ass.  Can't wait until Jan. 23.

I'm curious who 7 of 9 is crying about.

I think I see the plot, there is race the Federation has ignored that pretty much bidden its time between the Fall of the Romulus Senate and the retreat of the Dominion. Snuck people into key levels of the Federation and now they are striking. 

 Still, Riker: "Stop yelling!" Was just gold.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, readster said:

I think I see the plot, there is race the Federation has ignored that pretty much bidden its time between the Fall of the Romulus Senate and the retreat of the Dominion. Snuck people into key levels of the Federation and now they are striking. 

 Still, Riker: "Stop yelling!" Was just gold.

I also liked that Picard calls his dog 'Number One'.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Amazon? I thought this was on CBS. I did see it advertized on CTV Sci-Fi so there's that.

Ok, maybe this made me cry. As a fan, I am feeling well and truly  services.

Who were those people in red?  Clones? Did the Federation get around not enslavong androids by creating clones? 

Edited by marinw

Share this post


Link to post

Region-free trailer. I don't understand region-locking trailers. "Oh no! People in other countries may get excited and want to give us money!" Up yours, you region-centric git.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, marinw said:

FWIW, you can always watch the trailers on You Tube.

They region-lock those too.  Sometimes there are international trailers that have different footage from the US ones, and I need to use my VPN set to a European country to see them.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, marinw said:

Amazon? I thought this was on CBS. I did see it advertized on CTV Sci-Fi so there's that.

It's on CBS All Access in the US - Amazon Prime for the rest of the world. All the US-trailers are region-locked.

I am very much looking forward to this. So much to tease out of that trailer!

Share this post


Link to post

Can't wait!

Dream Data looks like he has had some facial fillers. :) Come on show, just say he was damaged and has a new appearance, or has been age progressed cuz he wanted to keep on pace with his peers, or had his neural net downloaded into body that looks similar. I will accept any explanation if I can have Brent Spiner have a recurring part in this! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

36 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Damn you CBS for blocking those trailers! 

Do any of the international ones on Prime work for you? I went through Twitter last night and must have clicked on a good dozen 'this content is not available in your region' links before I found one that would work for me.

Edited by Llywela

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Llywela said:

It's on CBS All Access in the US - Amazon Prime for the rest of the world. All the US-trailers are region-locked.

I am very much looking forward to this. So much to tease out of that trailer!

Kind of upsets me that this isn't on Amazon Prime for the US but the rest of the world can just use that instead of CBS All Access. 

As with the trailer was able to see it on Youtube (here in the US) and it does seem that Data is just a dream in it. Only because when I was watching the screen I knew something wasn't right. Mostly his eyes and face looked like Brent Spiner has aged (and as a real person I get that but this is supposed to be an Android and also Picard's dream. Couldn't they just CG the face to make it more like Data from TNG?). Also, I am still confused on how 7 could be an action hero (shooting two phasers with both hands) and also how the trailer implies that the Federation/Starfleet has "lost it's way" on something. All I can say is that time will tell but I am still kind of worried about this show sucking and messing things up. 

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

As with the trailer was able to see it on Youtube (here in the US) and it does seem that Data is just a dream in it. Only because when I was watching the screen I knew something wasn't right. Mostly his eyes and face looked like Brent Spiner has aged (and as a real person I get that but this is supposed to be an Android and also Picard's dream. Couldn't they just CG the face to make it more like Data from TNG?). Also, I am still confused on how 7 could be an action hero (shooting two phasers with both hands) and also how the trailer implies that the Federation/Starfleet has "lost it's way" on something. All I can say is that time will tell but I am still kind of worried about this show sucking and messing things up. 

As far as I can tell from spoilers so far, something cataclysmic happened about 15-20 years ago which seems to have changed the nature of Starfleet - and that something was probably the destruction of Romulus. When Picard goes to Raffi in the trailer, she comments on him being on 'another' top-secret unauthorised rescue mission - I suspect that tells us quite a bit about what went down with the Romulans and why Picard left Starfleet.

Piecing together information from the trailer and the Comic Con panels, it looks as if Dahj goes to Picard for help and sets the whole show in motion. The younger Romulan, Elnor, is said to be a refugee working on Picard's vineyard and personally loyal to him, so tags along. Picard goes to Raffi for help based on past acquaintance, and Captain Rios is her business partner (in the panel, she said their relationship is like Han Solo and Chewie), so she pulls him and his ship into the escapade. Then, Agnes Jurati is meant to be a positronic expert, and we see both the remains of Data/B4 and a whole army of androids in the trailers, so that'll be her angle for getting involved. The only one I'm not sure about is the other Romulan, Narek - he is said to be a more traditional Romulan, very devious, so I'm not sure what his angle is.

I'm really looking forward to finding out how it all plays out. I've been indulging in a TNG rewatch - my first proper rewatch since it originally aired! About halfway through S4 now. I'd forgotten how much we saw of the Romulans and how heavily Picard was involved in trying to maintain the fragile peace with their empire throughout successive seasons of the show.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Also, I am still confused on how 7 could be an action hero (shooting two phasers with both hands)

I don't mind that, to be honest.

I guess what I am most excited about this series is that it's nice to finally see this franchise moving forward again. No alternate timeline reboots, no prequels...just the main timeline moving forward.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Hey, if Captain Janeway could be an action hero when called upon, so can Seven! She certainly has the skill for it - the precise circumstances and motivations will no doubt be revealed in the show. It is almost 20 years now since Voyager returned to the Alpha Quadrant. That's a long time in anyone's life, more than enough time for them to go through a great many changes and experience a great deal.

Something else occurred to me after writing my run-through of the crew above - the ship's captain Chris Rios is meant to be ex-Starfleet. He is old enough that he would have been a young junior officer when the Romulan disaster happened - it could be that the fallout from that was what drove him out of Starfleet, as well as Picard. Would give them something in common. That aside, they've said that Rios is reluctant to help Picard at first - no doubt Raffi talks him into it.

One other bit of information I've heard: there's a rumour that the ship is called La Sirena (the Mermaid).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Llywela said:

As far as I can tell from spoilers so far, something cataclysmic happened about 15-20 years ago which seems to have changed the nature of Starfleet - and that something was probably the destruction of Romulus. When Picard goes to Raffi in the trailer, she comments on him being on 'another' top-secret unauthorised rescue mission - I suspect that tells us quite a bit about what went down with the Romulans and why Picard left Starfleet.

Piecing together information from the trailer and the Comic Con panels, it looks as if Dahj goes to Picard for help and sets the whole show in motion. The younger Romulan, Elnor, is said to be a refugee working on Picard's vineyard and personally loyal to him, so tags along. Picard goes to Raffi for help based on past acquaintance, and Captain Rios is her business partner (in the panel, she said their relationship is like Han Solo and Chewie), so she pulls him and his ship into the escapade. Then, Agnes Jurati is meant to be a positronic expert, and we see both the remains of Data/B4 and a whole army of androids in the trailers, so that'll be her angle for getting involved. The only one I'm not sure about is the other Romulan, Narek - he is said to be a more traditional Romulan, very devious, so I'm not sure what his angle is.

I'm really looking forward to finding out how it all plays out. I've been indulging in a TNG rewatch - my first proper rewatch since it originally aired! About halfway through S4 now. I'd forgotten how much we saw of the Romulans and how heavily Picard was involved in trying to maintain the fragile peace with their empire throughout successive seasons of the show.

I would probably also binge VOY since 7 is in it and the Borg.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

I would probably also binge VOY since 7 is in it and the Borg.

Yeah, I know, but I only have so much free time for TV watching! I actually started my re-watch way back when this Picard show was little more than a rumour of something that might be happening, because all the Treks are on Netflix, so having given in and invested in that, I thought I'd start dipping in and out of them, refresh my memory, having not previously had any opportunity to do so since they first aired. I'd seen plenty of random episodes here and there over the years, as Trek is played a lot on various cable channels, but not owning the DVDs I'd never been able to watch a whole series through in order since they aired. So Netflix is proving very useful! I started with TNG and Voyager as memory told me they would be easy to dip in and out of, not being serialised, lending themselves to just enjoying the odd episode here and there, and it was just the odd episode here and there because there was no rush. And at the time I was concentrating on getting through two seasons of Discovery, now that I could. Then slowly but surely, as more info about Picard came out to whet my appetite, Voyager fell by the wayside and that 'odd episode here and there' of TNG became a dedicated rewatch with a deadline! But I still only have limited time for it, so I'll worry about getting through just the one show by January 23 before I start worrying about the other! I suspect that I'll end up having to cherry pick a few significant episodes of Voyager to catch up with, in the end.

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Well, since I've now been able to confirm that I'll be able to watch Picard on CTV Sci Fi (formerly Space) up here in Canada,  I can now allow myself to get excited about the new series.  Woo! Picard! Woo! Riker! Woo! Data! Woo! Seven of Nine! WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

.....sorry.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, Iguana said:

Well, since I've now been able to confirm that I'll be able to watch Picard on CTV Sci Fi (formerly Space) up here in Canada,  can now allow myself to get excited about the new series. 

As a fellow Canadian, I join you in the WOOOOOOO

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

‘Star Trek: Picard’ Renewed For Season 2 Ahead Of Series Debut On CBS All Access Next Month

Quote

Like the first season that will premiere on CBS All Access on January 23, Season 2 of the Patrick Stewart-led Picard looks to be a 10-episode order for the streamer. As a part of that second season, the latest venture in the Alex Kurtzman marshaled Trekverse has been allocated over $20.4 million in California tax incentives.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

New spot!

I burned through Season 4 of the Expanse in one weekend, so for that and other reasons I am really looking forward to this. Much more so then STD.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I think Spiner looks pretty damn good in the trailers. I do worry about Stewart, on the cusp of 80. It’s a big gig. 

Share this post


Link to post

May we all look this good on the cusp of 80...e50dafee2761abf600f33ece4ca4f42f.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Patrick Stewart is my TV husband.   Maybe one day I will even get to tell him

I am so very much looking forward to this.

I am so dreading the online boards an the over criticism that is almost sure to happen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/5/2020 at 12:51 AM, Hiyo said:

May we all look this good on the cusp of 80...e50dafee2761abf600f33ece4ca4f42f.jpg

Hell, I'd love to look that good at the cusp of 60!

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size