Type keyword(s) to search

Star Trek: Picard Anticipation

• Start Topic

Son of a bitch.  I've waited for months for some shred of information about what this show will be about.  And when we finally get a title it's this?  Great going guys.  It took you 8 months to come up with this catchy, informative title.  If this much effort and creativity goes into the scripts, the sky's the limit. 

Thank god, it finally has a name. A silly name, but a name nonetheless, so now we can discuss. 

This is the show that's going to finally get me to pay for CBS: All Access. And then I'll binge Discovery, which wasn't enough to do it on its own 🙂

• Love 5
On 5/16/2019 at 9:58 AM, Aethera said:

Thank god, it finally has a name. A silly name, but a name nonetheless, so now we can discuss. 

🙂

Star Trek Picard: The Golden Years 

Star Trek Picard: On Golden Pond

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I'm looking forward to this - I have fond memories of TNG, although it's been years since I watched, so maybe a re-watch is called for to refresh my memory. I'm intrigued to see what they do with the older Picard. Plus, they've cast an actor I like, whose career I've been following for years, so that's also a draw.

As for the name, sometimes it is best to just go with the simplest option. Wasn't Deep Space Nine a filler title that ended up sticking? They've probably been calling it 'Picard' for months as a placeholder, intending to come up with a different official title, and then decided to just go with it!

• Love 2

It sounded like Gina Torres to me.  Which, if so, he'll yes. 

So Picard left Starfleet 15 years ago after commanding an Armada that saved the Federation.   Even being turned into a Borg didn't make him leave Starfleet so it will be interesting to see what drove him away. 

(edited)
31 minutes ago, Maverick said:

It sounded like Gina Torres to me.  Which, if so, he'll yes. 

So Picard left Starfleet 15 years ago after commanding an Armada that saved the Federation.   Even being turned into a Borg didn't make him leave Starfleet so it will be interesting to see what drove him away. 

I assumed it was Michelle Hurd, just because we know she is in the cast. But of course, a voiceover for a promo could be anyone, really!

I think the armada Picard commanded might have been a rescue mission to Romulus, rather than to save the Federation - it's a bit confusing, but this show is apparently set after the destruction of Romulus, which happened in the first of the reboot Star Trek movies. In the movie, Spock gets sent back in time, which creates an alternate timeline, which is the movie-verse. This show is exploring what happened next in the Prime universe, and it has already been said in earlier announcements that Picard's departure from Starfleet is linked to the Romulus disaster.

So we know from this clip that Picard went on to become an admiral, and that something terrible happened which caused him to lose faith in Starfleet. We know it is connected to the Romulus disaster. We also know from some of the earlier announcements that the ship he commands in this show is not a Starfleet vessel, but a private mission.

I wonder what could have happened to cause him to lose faith in Starfleet? Did he lose a ship/several ships from his armada trying to evacuate as many refugees as possible? Did he blame himself for this failure? Did the Federation turn away the refugees?

Colour me intrigued!

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 2
(edited)

My one true love is reprising his roll as my other true love.

Damn it In am going have to actually pay for all access now aren’t I

I have a friend who gets me Discovery.  I don’t ask he doesn’t tell.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

Damn it In am going have to actually pay for all access now aren’t I

In Canadia we get STD on Space, so hopefully we will get Picard as well.

Michael Chabon is working on the show:

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/11/star-trek-michael-chabon-picard-short-treks-calypso-1202019212/

MC is one of my favorite writers, so I am intriqued.

Shallow note: Sir Patrick looks great!  He had aged like a fine bottle of Chateaux Picard. The only time Sir Patrick looked frail was in Logan, and that was deliberate.

1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

My one true love is reprising his roll as my other true love.

This! My three TV Boyfriends were Jean-Luc Picard, Jack Bauer and the original Battlestar Galactica Starbuck (I was 12!)

Edited by marinw
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Maverick said:

The Borg are/were Picard's White Whale.  Maybe there was another Borg Invasion and Picard had to do something to complete the rescue, something he couldn't live with. We always knew that being a Vintner would be his retirement job.

7 hours ago, marinw said:

The Borg are/were Picard's White Whale.  Maybe there was another Borg Invasion and Picard had to do something to complete the rescue, something he couldn't live with. We always knew that being a Vintner would be his retirement job.

Maybe, but the early press said that his departure from Starfleet was linked to the Romulan disaster, rather than the Borg.

I daresay time will tell!

• Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, Llywela said:

So we know from this clip that Picard went on to become an admiral, and that something terrible happened which caused him to lose faith in Starfleet.

They eliminated the pension.

I'm a 50-year ST fan, and I have to say, this doesn't look interesting to me. It sounds like an in-depth study of Picard: the Man. I liked Picard, as I did many ST characters (including Discovery's current Pike, who is fantastic), but I'm not interested in his personal crisis of faith. I want something bigger to be at stake.

"There are ... FOUR .... Chardonneys!"

Edited by Ottis
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Ottis said:

I liked Picard, as I did many ST characters (including Discovery's current Pike, who is fantastic), but I'm not interested in his personal crisis of faith. I want something bigger to be at stake.

Or the Admiral serenely retires to his family vineyard after a long and storied career. 

A Crises of Faith is a tired troupe, but my love for Jean-Luc is such that I'll allow it. 

Edited by marinw
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, marinw said:

Or the Admiral serenely retires to his family vineyard after a long a storied career. 

A Crises of Faith is a tired troupe, but my love for Jean-Luc is such that I'll allow it. 

I see it as more of Picard got to the point he just couldn't go on. Whatever happens after Romulus could have been the last part as it was a disaster even according to the Kelvin Timeline. It's more of he had hit a point where there wasn't really ay reason to continue on. Since we know several other TNG will show up, I think we will see who went where. I be happy if Riker also made it to Rear Admiral. 

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, readster said:

Since we know several other TNG will show up, I think we will see who went where. I be happy if Riker also made it to Rear Admiral. 

Do we? Last I heard, there were no guest appearances confirmed by any of the old cast, although Frakes is directing a few eps. Did you see confirmation of guest appearances somewhere? Or is it wishful thinking?

2 hours ago, readster said:

I see it as more of Picard got to the point he just couldn't go on. Whatever happens after Romulus could have been the last part as it was a disaster even according to the Kelvin Timeline. It's more of he had hit a point where there wasn't really ay reason to continue on. Since we know several other TNG will show up, I think we will see who went where. I be happy if Riker also made it to Rear Admiral. 

If the Prime!TNG timeline is intact, Riker was already an Admiral when Picard linked all the anomalies in the series finale.  Is this new show occuring between the Nemesis movie and the anomaly episode?

23 hours ago, Llywela said:

I assumed it was Michelle Hurd, just because we know she is in the cast. But of course, a voiceover for a promo could be anyone, really!

This is helpful!  The actress’s voice sounded so familiar it was driving me crazy when I couldn’t find it listed in any articles I googled about the trailer, but I didn’t even think to check the cast list.  I had settled on that the voice reminded me of Merrin Dungey.

I have to admit that they got me with the “All Good Things” vineyard.  And I read that this was released on the 25th anniversary of that finale.  Nice.

I’m really not a big fan of Alex Kurtzman’s oeuvre (I find most of what he produces to be serviceable, but not anything more).  So seeing him quoted all over the articles about this trailer does bum me out a little.  But it was a good teaser notwithstanding, so my interest is piqued.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

This is helpful!  The actress’s voice sounded so familiar it was driving me crazy when I couldn’t find it listed in any articles I googled about the trailer, but I didn’t even think to check the cast list.  I had settled on that the voice reminded me of Merrin Dungey.

I have heard that it actually is Merrin Dungey, so well done on the voice recognition!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, marinw said:

Hurray! Now if we could only find out if Space is airing The Expanse...

The Expanse is worth Amazon prime. 😊But that’s another fandom. I’m looking forward to the new show as well. Discovery is hit or miss with me. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, readster said:

If there are any familiar faces, I want their appearances to be organic, not just for the sake of fanservice. However, I expect the fanservice to be annoying.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Anduin said:

If there are any familiar faces, I want their appearances to be organic, not just for the sake of fanservice. However, I expect the fanservice to be annoying.

Yeah, when you get something like that it is inevitable. It's not like many of TNG cast aren't still working. In fact, many of them have continued on either related to Star Trek or with fellow cast members. I'm pretty sure we will see LeVar Butron or Gates McFadden show up.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, readster said:

I'm pretty sure we will see LeVar Butron or Gates McFadden show up.

I am wondering about Brent Spinner. B4 may still be around, ageing himself to be more human.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, readster said:

Yeah, when you get something like that it is inevitable. It's not like many of TNG cast aren't still working. In fact, many of them have continued on either related to Star Trek or with fellow cast members. I'm pretty sure we will see LeVar Butron or Gates McFadden show up.

Maybe we will see what happened to Counsellor Troi....She was already dead in the series finale

Although Picard retired to France and became a vintner, I don't think everything will be as seen in All Good Things.   Even then, the crew speculated that it was just one possible future that wouldn't necessarily come true.   Especially since they knew about it.    Among other things, Picard was suffering from that disease and was a bit of a dottering old man.   I certainly hope that's not how they're going to portray him here.   

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Maverick said:

I don't think everything will be as seen in All Good Things.   Even then, the crew speculated that it was just one possible future that wouldn't necessarily come true.

The destruction of the Enterprise-D already makes it impossible that this is that future.

Agreed. There would be no point making this show if it were merely going to retread ground already covered in a previous episode. That was one possible future. This will be Picard's actual future, shaped by 20 years of unpredictable variables.

• Love 1
Just now, Llywela said:

Agreed. There would be no point making this show if it were merely going to retread ground already covered in a previous episode. That was one possible future. This will be Picard's actual future, shaped by 20 years of unpredictable variables.

Right and we know it takes place after Nemesis, where Picard so saw such a major shift from Data's "death" to Riker and Troi leaving and the Enterprise E almost being destroyed. We also know that the destruction of Romulus DID happen in the prime timeline and had a big effect on both Picard, the Romulan Empire, Vulcan and the Federation. 

2 minutes ago, readster said:

Right and we know it takes place after Nemesis, where Picard so saw such a major shift from Data's "death" to Riker and Troi leaving and the Enterprise E almost being destroyed. We also know that the destruction of Romulus DID happen in the prime timeline and had a big effect on both Picard, the Romulan Empire, Vulcan and the Federation. 

Yep, and all the early announcements said that this show comes after the destruction of Romulus, and that it had a major impact on Picard. I think it has also either been announced of heavily implied that his ship in this episode is not Starfleet but a private mission crewed by non-Starfleet oddbods. Should be interesting!

I wouldn't bet on any past characters appearing in this. There might be a cameo or two, but I wouldn't put any money on it. This is being tagged as something very different from TNG, a ten hour story of where Picard is now, rather than a nostalgic reminiscence of who he was then. There's a whole new cast, and a new story to tell.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/25/2019 at 11:58 AM, marinw said:

I am wondering about Brent Spinner. B4 may still be around, ageing himself to be more human.

On 5/25/2019 at 2:03 PM, starri said:

The destruction of the Enterprise-D already makes it impossible that this is that future.

Yeah, I have heard some rumors about a possible Brent Spiner appearance but I really don't want to see that. Only because Data is dead, Data doesn't age (and wasn't that why they killed him in Nemesis?), and I see B-4 more like a son than Data resurrected. 

On 6/18/2019 at 8:00 PM, marinw said:

Nice if fawning examination of Jean-Luc's enduring charisma:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/why-we-will-always-love-the-humble-heroism-of-captain-p-1835528332

This video makes some good points, but I would not describe Picard has "Humble."

As for past characters showing up, we are due to for a visit from Q.

I don't think it will happen anytime soon (since I heard that ST: Picard bombed a test review) but I couldn't help picturing what something like that would look like:

Picard: Q!?

Q: Picard. You have aged.

Picard: By the looks of it you have also aged as well, Q.

Q: Picard, your measly humanoid brain can't compare how my people ages. What I have done is just made myself appear to be older. Just so you can feel better about yourself. 

(Picard looks up and down himself, in an annoying way, while Q stairs at him with a smirk)

Picard: Why are you hear Q? Didn't we pass your test?

Q: Yes, Picard you have passed the test and so has humanity but I am just hearing because I am bored and wanted to annoy you. 

Picard: Go away Q! Don't you have something better to do?

Q: My son is busy and I just want to drop by and say hello. 

Edit:

I added the word, "smirk" .

Edited by TVSpectator
  • LOL 2
6 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

Yeah, I have heard some rumors about a possible Brent Spiner appearance but I really don't want to see that. Only because Data is dead, Data doesn't age (and wasn't that why they killed him in Nemesis?), and I see B-4 more like a son than Data resurrected.

Yeah, do you know where that rumour came from? Jonathan Frakes posted a picture of a trombone on Twitter and Brent Spiner replied to it with "oh yeah," and from that tiny interaction a bunch of ST fans decided that this obviously meant they would both be making appearances in Picard.

I wouldn't read too much into it at this stage. Like I said, it is possible that there might be cameos by TNG characters, but I wouldn't put any money on it. Everything that has been publicly announced about this show says that it is a completely new story with a completely new cast, other than Stewart. This is not going to be TNG 2.0

I don't think any character names have been announced for definite, although there were a few potential names floating around from an early character bio leak, but Cabrera's agency CV gives his character name as Ian, for whatever that's worth.

Frames is directing the first two episodes so I wouldn't be shocked to see a Riker cameo.  Maybe something along the lines of Janeway's call to Picard in Nemesis.  As long as it's not Riker running a holo-program about Picard for guidance it should be ok. 

With the current nostalgia wave, I can't believe they haven't tried to do a show set in the post-Nemesis timeline with elements of the TNG/DS9/VOY casts.  I know they want to do different things with the franchise, but a continuation of the 90s era would pull people in and give them a relatable base the springboard into these different ideas. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Maverick said:

With the current nostalgia wave, I can't believe they haven't tried to do a show set in the post-Nemesis timeline with elements of the TNG/DS9/VOY casts.  I know they want to do different things with the franchise, but a continuation of the 90s era would pull people in and give them a relatable base the springboard into these different ideas. 

I would watch that! 😄

Everything said about this, though, says that Stewart only agreed to do it because it was a completely new direction for the character, rather than a re-tread of old ground. I'm intrigued to see what they come up with!

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Llywela said:

Yeah, do you know where that rumour came from? Jonathan Frakes posted a picture of a trombone on Twitter and Brent Spiner replied to it with "oh yeah," and from that tiny interaction a bunch of ST fans decided that this obviously meant they would both be making appearances in Picard.

I wouldn't read too much into it at this stage. Like I said, it is possible that there might be cameos by TNG characters, but I wouldn't put any money on it. Everything that has been publicly announced about this show says that it is a completely new story with a completely new cast, other than Stewart. This is not going to be TNG 2.0

I don't think any character names have been announced for definite, although there were a few potential names floating around from an early character bio leak, but Cabrera's agency CV gives his character name as Ian, for whatever that's worth.

I also don't think that any old TNG characters (or even the old characters like DS9 and VOY) will make an appearance on the show at all. But I also heard the same rumor. 

(edited)
On 6/20/2019 at 7:44 PM, TVSpectator said:

I also don't think that any old TNG characters (or even the old characters like DS9 and VOY) will make an appearance on the show at all. But I also heard the same rumor. 

My gut says that version 1.0 of the show won't have those kinds of guests, but that as soon as they start to struggle and realize they need to draw in more viewers to keep the show afloat (presumably in Season 2) they'll drag some in.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

as soon as they start to struggle and realize they need to draw in more viewers 

Wesley Crusher returns from his inter-dimensional time stopping trips to turn back the clock for old Picard -  just like Q would have done.....

• Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, Kromm said:

My gut says that version 1.0 of the show won't have those kinds of guests, but that as soon as they start to struggle and realize they need to draw in more viewers to keep the show afloat (presumably in Season 2) they'll drag some in.

You might have a point but I still doubt that Spiner and Frakes will still appear. If Picard is a failure then, in my opinion,  their is a good chance CBS All Access also goes.

Edit: 

I can see the show bringing in Frakes to direct an episode or even several but I don't think he wants to appear again as Will Riker.

Edited by TVSpectator

It wasn't entirely clear, but I think Wesley came back from traveling by the time of Nemesis. 

I'm sure Sooner doesn't want to come back.  He was never a fan of trying to deal with the Data doesn't age issue.  Something may have changed in the past few years, but in the past he (along with Marina) was always the most willing to bring back his character.  He played Riker on DS9, Voyager and Enterprise.  He's directing the first two episodes so I wouldn't think a cameo is out of the question.  I would be surprised if he or anyone from known Trek lore has any significant role on this show.   They seem to doing the "let's throw in every damn thing related to Trek even if it doesn't fit the time period" for Discovery.