Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E22: Chapter Fifty-Seven: Survive the Night

Bort
  • Start Topic

After receiving mysterious invitations, Archie, Betty, Veronica and Jughead band together to confront the evils of their past once and for all. Meanwhile, chaos ensues at The Farm after Edgar makes a chilling announcement.

Airdate: Wednesday, May 15, 2019

I won’t be watching the finale until after 9 but I have high hopes for the finale. I feel like with how bonkers Riverdale usually always is, they have found a way to tie the last two finales up real well and set up for the next season decently too. Let’s hope for the best. 

But seriously if Chic is the Gargoyle King and Hal is the one from the past I’ma lose it. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

That was gloriously fun.

I was expecting the final scene to be something relating to Luke Perry's death, but I guess the writers decided to just play out the remainder of the season they had already planned and deal with that next year.  I understand that choice, particularly since the season was mostly over when it happened.

Plus, that was an awesome teaser for next year.

Penelope calling Hal a terrible serial killer and then executing him was great (and accurate).  Penelope didn't have a ton to do this season, but this certainly made up for it.

I also always love Nana Rose's sporadic appearances.

• Love 11
(edited)

I am not sure how popular it is going to be but I like the reveal that Penelope is the true power behind the Gargoyle King.  That actually was kind of a fun reveal.  The whole last quest was kind of dumb but then these quests usually are.   I did like Veronica's and Betty's though.   I was actually surprised she did take the shot even if it wasn't a kill shot.  And Penelope calling Hal a terrible serial killer made me laugh out loud.  

Loved Cheryl in this.  Although she has done gone lost her mind for good.  I liked the whole rescue everyone vibe from her.  That worked well for me.

The farm stuff was stupid.  Don't care about Chic or the new brother.

On a further note....Spring Break is gonna be wild.

Edited to add Nathalie Boltt who plays Penelope "liked" one of my tweets and answered it which was really cool.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 12
(edited)

Betty's new brother is GORGEOUS.  Woof.  If I had a harem it would be Hiram, Archie, Chuck, Reggie and Charles. lol.

Well people have often wondered if Penelope was in anyway redeemable, I guess now we know.  Worst Riverdale parent by far.   And from the looks of it, her daughter, in her own way, is just as crazy.  Good luck with all that Toni.

Hiram, bad to the bone, but my god is he hot.  And I admit I did lol at Hiram arranging Hermione's take down from Prison.  I love that he always settles the score.  Hiram is in Jail, Hermione is in jail and now Veronica is in the custody of "Smithers."  I laughed and then felt a little bad.   I always said all Veronica had was her Parents and from the looks of it, it's kind of true.   She clearly has no other family.

I always thought Mary would be Anti-Veronica considering all the trouble the Lodges have caused but she seems to genuinely like her.   Maybe because she see's Archie is genuinely in love with her.  Out of touch, privileged, slightly spoiled but at the same time naive and sweet, in her way.  I can see how a Mom might like Veronica for her son.

I like that there will be no triangle.  Veronica at her core is still hung up on Archie and I am glad she nipped the Reggie thing in the bud.   That was a nice moment Archie and Veronica had, if ill-timed lol.  But it was very Archie.  Earnest, wide-eyed and sincere.  KJ has a way of making Archie very likable.

I wonder what happens on Spring Break Senior Year. LOL

Edited by Advance35
  • Love 10

I am curious now if Hiram and Penelope have a secret baby what kind of (gorgeous) monster it would be.

I was kinda chuckling at Mary fan girling  Atchie and Veronica.  

Veronica is like one step away from being Bruce Wayne.  

• Love 3

Spring Break is gonna be killer 😉 

Fun, bonkers Riverdale ending. I thought that Penelope being the true Gargoyle King was a pretty good reveal, it tied in pretty well with the younger and older characters in different generations getting involved in G&G, and her connection to Hal and Chic. Penelope is just the right kind of crazy for a Riverdale bad guy, and I would be happy to have her come back again. Most importantly, the Red Hood/Gargoyle King stuff is FINALLY done! Now we can move onto some new utterly ridiculous villain with a new equally ridiculous scheme! 

"Your a terrible serial killer!" 

Honestly, Veronica is probably better off with Smithers than either of her parents. Its sweet that Mary apparently approves of Veronica, and while Hiram is a truly awful person, he is also a mega league DILF! No wonder he keeps wanting to take his shirt off, show that shit off!

The quest was Riverdale craziness, but I liked seeing the core four together, and them having a weird friendship adventure, plus being rescued by Cheryl, Toni, and the archery squad. I love Cheryl in rescue badass mode almost as much as I love gothic horror Cheryl. 

Speaking of, I am glad that Jason is still dead, even if his body is not exactly at peace. Well damn Cheryl, things are getting weird at the Blossom house again. Always love seeing Nana Rose!

Betty's new brother is super hot,and might actually not be crazy! Also, Jughead and Betty sharing a half brother is...kind of weird. 

• Love 3

And so ends another insane season on a show that is truly becoming one of the wackiest of all time.  And I think I mean that as a positive!

So, after a decent amount of pomp and circumstance, the Gargoyle King isn't actually "Jason", but freaking Chic.  Because it turns out that instead of killing him, Hal saw a kindred spirit, and basically mentored him.  And that is only set-up for the true reveal: that Penelope Blossom was the true mastermind behind everything, and basically targeted Archie/Betty/Jughead/Veronica, because she wanted their parents to feel the loss she felt.  But, of course, she had to do it all under a ruse of a "game", so naturally the four live to keep doing what they are doing!

For a brief, glorious second, I truly thought Penelope somehow got a hold of the actual bear that attacked Archie.  I really wanted that bear to saunter in and be all "We've got unfinished business, kid!"  Wouldn't be the weirdest thing to happen on this show.

Oh, Cheryl.  She manages to save the day and break loose from the Farm, but now she's talking to her brother's corpse that Edgar had apparently dug up.  You so crazy!

Speaking of The Farm, they've apparently "ascended", but left Kevin behind, which made me laugh way more than I probably should have.  Also, Alice was actually a mole the entire time and working for the FBI.  And her handler?  Why, he's actually the product of Alice and F.P.!  Yep, both Betty and Jughead have the same half-brother!  Family reunions are going to be so weird!

No surprise, Hiram finds ways to still mess with Veronica and Hermione from prison.

So, they're basically just going to wait and address Fred's death/absence next season?  I guess that is understandable.

Sometimes, it feels like Nana Rose is the true hero of this show.

The tease for next season involve Archie, Betty, and Veronica in the woods, covered in blood, and in their underwear (in other words, their natural forms!), while being shifty and burning Jughead's beanie.  Obviously, I doubt he's dead or anything, so I'm guessing they're going to have to fake his death for whatever reason (or reasons.)

Not even going to act like I won't be back.  Between the badshit insanity that happens on this show and this silly town, and getting to stare at the likes of Camilia Mendes, Lili Reinhart, and Madelaine Petsch, this show is one of the best ball of crazies in all of television!

• Love 10
32 minutes ago, Advance35 said:

Betty's new brother is GORGEOUS.

In season one Veronica said he would probably be a blonde Adonis. She wasn’t wrong! I do think it’s creepy Jughead and Betty share a sibling. It creeped me out on Gossip Girl too.

My favorite person in Riverdale continues to be Nana Rose.

I may have zoned out. Did I miss an explanation for what caused the seizures and why the twins levitated?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

And so ends another insane season on a show that is truly becoming one of the wackiest of all time.  And I think I mean that as a positive!

So, after a decent amount of pomp and circumstance, the Gargoyle King isn't actually "Jason", but freaking Chic.  Because it turns out that instead of killing him, Hal saw a kindred spirit, and basically mentored him.  And that is only set-up for the true reveal: that Penelope Blossom was the true mastermind behind everything, and basically targeted Archie/Betty/Jughead/Veronica, because she wanted their parents to feel the loss she felt.  But, of course, she had to do it all under a ruse of a "game", so naturally the four live to keep doing what they are doing!

For a brief, glorious second, I truly thought Penelope somehow got a hold of the actual bear that attacked Archie.  I really wanted that bear to saunter in and be all "We've got unfinished business, kid!"  Wouldn't be the weirdest thing to happen on this show.

Oh, Cheryl.  She manages to save the day and break loose from the Farm, but now she's talking to her brother's corpse that Edgar had apparently dug up.  You so crazy!

Speaking of The Farm, they've apparently "ascended", but left Kevin behind, which made me laugh way more than I probably should have.  Also, Alice was actually a mole the entire time and working for the FBI.  And her handler?  Why, he's actually the product of Alice and F.P.!  Yep, both Betty and Jughead have the same half-brother!  Family reunions are going to be so weird!

No surprise, Hiram finds ways to still mess with Veronica and Hermione from prison.

So, they're basically just going to wait and address Fred's death/absence next season?  I guess that is understandable.

Sometimes, it feels like Nana Rose is the true hero of this show.

The tease for next season involve Archie, Betty, and Veronica in the woods, covered in blood, and in their underwear (in other words, their natural forms!), while being shifty and burning Jughead's beanie.  Obviously, I doubt he's dead or anything, so I'm guessing they're going to have to fake his death for whatever reason (or reasons.)

Not even going to act like I won't be back.  Between the badshit insanity that happens on this show and this silly town, and getting to stare at the likes of Camilia Mendes, Lili Reinhart, and Madelaine Petsch, this show is one of the best ball of crazies in all of television!

Yeah I do love staring at Camilla Lili and Madelaine's sexy selves. Did they seriously have to have a scene of Betty Veronica and Archie in their underwear burning Jugheads Beanie? WTF? Here comes People thinking they will start the Triangle? That scene seriously sounds like WTF? 

What Bullshit Redemption attempt for Alice . Still no excuse why shes a piece of crap to Betty

• Love 2

I just thought of Something! What If they go more batshit next season and lift the Jughead becomes a Werewolf story for next season? I've been Joking that Werewolves and Zombies were next for this show?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

peaking of The Farm, they've apparently "ascended", but left Kevin behind, which made me laugh way more than I probably should have.  Also, Alice was

So I guess they didnt drink the kool-aid, they just...all went on a road trip? And Mr. Keller better get Kevin in ALL of the therapy after this, he has clearly lost a few marbles ever since he joined Riverdales most recent cult. Stop being a boxing coach and maybe check on your son?!

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

On a further note....Spring Break is gonna be wild.

No shit. These quartet can't just go to Fort Lauderdale and do shots. They end up in their scanties burning their clothes and making yet another blood pact. Riverdale gonna Riverdale, I guess.

Well, that honestly wrapped up a lot better than I thought it would! Penelope being the brains behind the crazy makes as much sense as anything does on this show, and Nathalie Boltt has certainly proven she can bring it. Shooting Hal the Whiner was the best bit, by far. "You were always a terrible serial killer," HA! But honestly I like Betty's shooting him in the gut and his grunts of "Oh my God that hurts a lot!" the best. Yeah, no duh, genius.

Penelope's motivations make sense in her crazyville way: she was treated like absolute crap by her nutter adopted family and so on and so forth, but  I can't help but wonder why she turned that hatred outward rather than against her tormentors. I mean, she was totally down with TSOQM and they did the selling in the first place! Admittedly her evil family all seemed to be dead but Nana Rose and her husband/brother and whats his name, that twin of his, but even for Penelope there seemed to be a bit of a reach between "horrible immediate circumstances" and "KILL THE TOWN."

How did she recruit all those Gargoyles, by the way? They seemed very down with committing multiple acts of first degree murder for her. 

Also, what exactly was the connection between her and The Farm? First they veer one way with making it seem like they're totally united in their bizarro schemes--Edgar seemed fine with Chic/GK showing up and waving his stick arms around when needed and there was the whole Fizzle Rocks thing--but now, what? they don't know each other? Did Penelope slip off to Acscend/Skip Town with the rest of the hard core Farmies? 

The Dreadful H's continue their reign of petty backstabbery, I see. Also glad that the showrunners took my advice and have Mark Consuelos strip off in all his scenes now. WOOF. Ronnie cannot catch a break, parent-wise. Also, Hiram's total obsession with revenge against teenagers, one of whom is HIS DAUGHTER, continues to creep me out.

(Speaking of, whatever happened to Hiram's connection with the GK? Did he know the whole scheme or was it just part of his general Petty Roman Emperor plots or what?)

Archie had to fight another bear and once again takes a beating that would kill a normal human. Good thing he hopped right in the ring with Mad Dog the next day! At least he and Veronica seem to be back in a good place.

Did anybody else have spurts of giggles while Penelope/the game would go on and on about how these guys are best friends? Because they've barely spoken all damn year, show. Ask Kevin The Abandoned And One Kidneyed about that! Plus, does his father have the slightest notion of what the hell he's been doing? I think Ex Sheriff Keller wins Worst Parent, honestly. 

Nice to see Cheryl back in control and Queen of the World again! Yeah, she's talking to her remarkably well preserved dead brother but cut her some slack! (Seriously, you guys, that body was in the ground for THREE YEARS. I don't know what the funeral director pickled him with but he should be a lot more--um--shriveled.) 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Snookums said:

But honestly I like Betty's shooting him in the gut and his grunts of "Oh my God that hurts a lot!" the best. Yeah, no duh, genius.

I thought Betty shot off most of the fingers of Hal's good hand.

Betty when you say "I want you to burn all of your clothes", I want you to burn "ALL" of your clothes.

• Love 1

Ah, okay! I thought she just gut shot him, which would be painful enough. But wow, girl, work those (cough) serial killer genes to your advantage!

Any thoughts on Alice being the most committed FBI informant ever? And how she had enough on The Farm to shut this shit down waaaaay before all this last act nuttery? The FBI is as competent as every other adult and institution in Riverdale, I see.

• Love 2

That was actually... pretty coherent? And fun? I wasn't expecting that! Looks like they finally tied up the previous storylines for good and we get to start something new next season.

I really liked Veronica winning her challenge by sacrificing herself for Betty, Cheryl and Toni saving the day with the united gangs, Alice being undercover all along and not actually a brainwashed farmie (not sure it makes a whole lot of sense, but I'll take it because I hated how they'd ruined her character by making her so gullible), and the real Charles being a good guy (well, as far as we know at this point). The teaser for next season was intriguing, and I'm definitely here for it.

• Love 9

Look I will be upfront I checked out on Riverdale halfway through Season 2. It just got too ridiculous and strayed too far from the first season. I tried with Season 3 but just couldn't. But my friends still watch and they told me the horrible horrible cliffhanger that Jason Blossom was the gargoyle king. I came here to see if the writers were that loony to go that path. I am so so glad they didn't decided too bring Jason back as alive. I can't have my beloved Jason speaking, I can't be hungover for work tomorrow thanks to my pretend drinking game. Haha

1 hour ago, MollyWebber said:

doesn't rule out the possibility of Barchie

If this show continues for more seasons, it will happen, lol. That’s not RAS “trolling.” He’s telling the truth there. He’s not going to tie himself down to Bughead/Varchie for what *could* be 3 or 4 more seasons. I get that people like their particular ships and want the show to continue to be that way until the end, but the longer it’s on, the more likely Barchie will be attempted in some way.

They don't share any blood. If you have a middle school education you should know that. It's just very soap opera.

Funnily enough, I just finished rereading Daphne du Maurier's The Parasites with the same set up in relationships. Charles is related to Betty and Jughead as a half brother because FP is his father and Alice is his mother, but Betty and Jughead are not related. So no incest, just creepy.

They're not finished with The Farm storyline so more may be explained on that. The most popular guess for the hallucinations and seizures is that people have been drugged by The Farm via their tea and milk and those are side effects.

They made a big, big point of showing mushrooms growing under a glass bell in Edgar and Alice's scene, plus the whole SOQM head nun teaching Penelope "everything she knows" about poisons and tripping balls in general, so I assume that's got something to do with it. As far as I can remember, though, Betty had never visited the Farm or met Edgar at the point where she was having seizures/seeing floating babies, so either that was a more generalized Fizzle Rocks thing of some kind (all the other girls at school had seizures too) or Alice is so devoted to her undercover work she deliberately dosed her.

I know the last scene was supposed to build How to Get Away with Murder-style suspense (which I'm here for, because the first season of that show was intriguing), but it was also hilarious to just do a hard cut from all of them promising to be normal to all of them covered in blood in the woods.

The time lapse footage that carried us to dawn was also funny to me, but I'm curious about that one because I feel like there's a story behind how that choice got made. Like, maybe something got cut, or the shooting schedule got messed up, or some other thing so that the editors were like, "Shit, we have to explain why it's morning, now..."

15 hours ago, Dee said:

This show is ridiculously antiblack.

It's really bad at finding something to do with its black characters, and that's something I notice whenever they're on screen. We're now three seasons deep and the writer's room is still acting like those characters don't exist except as accessories to white people, and it's uncomfortable to see. It also really contrasts with the way they've promoted the show -- sending the actors out to press events; featuring Josie heavily in the initial marketing, etc.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, MollyWebber said:

I hope I'm not coming across as rude or argumentative

You’re not! Your opinion isn’t anything I haven’t heard before and I get why people think that way. You’re like the majority who won’t believe it until it actually happens, which is fine. I don’t have any stake in the matter. I just won’t be the person who will be surprised when Barchie happens in some form, whether it’s a relationship or just a tease, because RAS has been teasing Betty/Archie since the Pilot. It’s always in his back pocket, and that’s on purpose. 

18 hours ago, Advance35 said:

Betty's new brother is GORGEOUS.  Woof.  If I had a harem it would be Hiram, Archie, Chuck, Reggie and Charles. lol.

His name is Wyatt Nash. I knew he looked familiar, just a bit bulked up from where I saw him last.

51 minutes ago, SourK said:

I know the last scene was supposed to build How to Get Away with Murder-style suspense (which I'm here for, because the first season of that show was intriguing), but it was also hilarious to just do a hard cut from all of them promising to be normal to all of them covered in blood in the woods.

Yeah, I was like, "Man, this show will never do a fluffy season."

Penelope as a reveal actually worked pretty well, I thought.

5 hours ago, MollyWebber said:

Oh and I guess we should get ready for the mass of ignorant fools crying incest! Which um no. They don't share any blood. If you have a middle school education you should know that. It's just very soap opera. 

I know they aren’t related by blood, but I still find it creepy. From Charles’s perspective he found his biological family, and his brother and sister are hooking up.    

I obviously was not paying close enough attention, did Penolope just slip off into the night?  You think there would be some concern if she was still out there loose somewhere. 

The actress was an excellent villain, but it might be close to her needing a final comeuppance.  Shows too often hold on too popular villains well past their expiration point.  I think it might be close to the time to part with Hiram sometime next season as well.

That was kind of fun. I liked Penelope as the mastermind but am struggling to understand her motives.

Of course Chick wasn't dead, so glad that got tied up.

Not convinced this new 'Charles' person is who he says he is.

Anyone think it was weird that Evelyn referred to Edgar as 'dad' in private when they are supposed to be actually married and she's only his daughter outside the farm as an act to recruit local youth?

They didn't mention anything about Fred, did they? I was hoping they would deal with it this season.

• Love 1
(edited)

This show is nutters

The crazier part is this show makes more sense than Game of Thrones now

I wonder who will do the dirty on Jughead next season

Edited by Dobian
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Enjoyed the episode, but I'm not sure how much more of this show I can take. It's going to be difficult without the one good parent this show had. I wonder if the sudden "redemption" of Alice as an FBI informant is the result. The shirtless beefcake scenes can only take me so far, especially since it seems the whole Archie boxing/fighting thing is permanent.

They also rolled a 1 for an intelligence check concerning Veronica's part of the gameIf Penelope had no intention of letting them survive the game even if they won, why provide the actual antidote at the end? I suppose this shouldn't bother me given the other nutball aspects of this show (gang kids working for the police, kids owning and running businesses, etc.), but it does.

Glad to finally put to rest the whole black hood/Hal/Chick nonsense. At least Hal doesn't have to worry about going through life with only one finger and a thumb.

• Love 2

Worst. Spring Break. Ever. On the plus side, even if they kill off Jughead, they could bring on his evil twin. Or the actor's actual twin.

Nearly every kid on Riverdale is down to 1 or zero parents at this point. Of course, one wasn't by choice (RIP Luke Perry). Veronica just has the 2 parents in jail. Now that this is "senior year" will they stretch it out a la One Tree Hill or do a time jump a la One Tree Hill?

Uh, so I had to watch the finale three times to make sure I didn’t miss anything because like the last two penultimate episodes, it was scene-cut-scene-scene-scene. So much so that it’s hard for to find details on first watch. 

Im gonna let the GK reveal slide solely on the fact they threw in the line that Penelope had be behind this from the jump and has basically been “evil” since she killed Clifford in S1. This was honestly a more satisfying conclusion than I thought we were going to get, because they did tie Penelope’s actions for almost 3 seasons into this reveal and it doesn’t faulter on logic. So much has happened since Ep 4 so most forgot about her basically being sold as a kid reveal, she literally revealed she kills both Blossom brothers in Ep 11, and she has been treating Cheryl like she’s a psychopath for almost two seasons now so like Archie said in the best line of the episode “you’re nuts”. 

I want to give the writers credit but tbh it feels they came to a realization after writing the musical in ep. 16 and was like “ how do we tie in the 4 major storylines we have this season?” And someone spouted “Chic” and then that caused they’re Black Hood return, and they though “wouldn’t it be cool if the Gargoyle King and Black Hood we’re both controlled by The Red Dahlia? Wouldn’t it?” Then they wrote the finale. 

Once again I find most of the episode fun,  I loved Jughead and Archie fighting Chic and the bear guy. I liked the Veronica and Betty scene even though they’ve barely been together all season. Very disappointed we rushed Varchie back together. Like idk how that was decided but it sucked. Bughead  very much bores me now because it does not in anyway or form progress the characters. Once again we put the focus on Betty, even though there’s no character arc involved. At least last season with The Black Hood Archie and Betty had to test their own “Darkness” because of what Hal was doing to them and the town, but this season she has no progression even with two major storylines she’s neck deep in. We got no resolution to why Archie was so special as the Red Paladin, no follow up on Jughead being addicted to this game or what all the conspiracy stuff in G&G actually meant, and Veronica hasn’t been involved in nearly anything to do with The Gargoyle King. 

I know I shouldn’t be looking for this stuff in Riverdale but they have it right there in front of them and instead of using what they have they are throwing to the side to have these fan service scenes of Choni being tryout Team Arrow members or FP being almost as incompetent as Keller so he can do his best Mikael Mikaelson impression saying “Boy” and Hermione being mayor Gavin nothing to do with the show. The only characters I feel like had an arc this season were Archie (until Ep. 17) Hiram in some episodes, and Jughead until about Episode 16, ironically the last scene of development for him was that music number he did with Betty. 

The show still has a great sense for cinematography and can do wonders .when it wants. The Flash Forward is probably the gang killing Edgar and Jughead is getting rid of his body, he’s not dead. I’m VERY Surprised the show has B & V in their underwear with Archie especially since the ladies has barely shown skin since Betty stripped in a season 2. 

All in all I enjoyed the episode there’s just this running problem where Riverdale just does things to do things. Especially when it comes to characters. Once again this year the only character I felt connected story wise through almost the entire season was Archie, he opened his boxing gym as a shelter/halfway house which ties into to his stuff from the beginning of the season and feels the need to do something for other kids because of how the lost became consumed by G&G and he himself could have used something like that when he was lost and on the run. I don’t feel. Betty solving the GK stuff and Veronica has playing checkers with Hiram did anything for their characters. Jug sort of progressed regarding his gang and the law and what’s right but that’s about it. It’s just so strange. I’ll be back for Season 4 though. 

• Love 2
On 5/17/2019 at 12:43 AM, ketose said:

Worst. Spring Break. Ever. On the plus side, even if they kill off Jughead, they could bring on his evil twin. Or the actor's actual twin.

Nearly every kid on Riverdale is down to 1 or zero parents at this point. Of course, one wasn't by choice (RIP Luke Perry). Veronica just has the 2 parents in jail. Now that this is "senior year" will they stretch it out a la One Tree Hill or do a time jump a la One Tree Hill?

I'm assuming season 4 will cover senior year, and if there's a season 5, they'll time jump like One Tree Hill and Pretty Little Liars did and avoid college altogether.

On 5/16/2019 at 7:07 PM, secnarf said:

Not convinced this new 'Charles' person is who he says he is.

On 5/16/2019 at 8:01 PM, Richness said:

The shirtless beefcake scenes can only take me so far, especially since it seems the whole Archie boxing/fighting thing is permanent.

I don't know, it kind of strikes me as a last minute decision the showrunners made. Wyatt Nash is pretty decent eyecandy, so it's whatever.

This is Riverdale, though, Archie could find a whole new passion next year and completely forget about this one.

On 5/16/2019 at 10:33 AM, MollyWebber said:

Anything can happen. (And I will still be here for it.) Although, while the show is Camp, I don't think they would go into the supernatural.

However I want Come Sprouse to be a werewof on Sabrina. 

• Love 1

I feel rewarded for sticking around. I was almost out a good few times this season but the last two episodes, especially this finale, were exactly the kind of crazy fun I'm here for. 

I didn't have faith in the whole Gargoyle King thing ending up having any sense but surprisingly, it did. Penelope being the main villain is probably the best possible choice. And there was a connection between her and the Black Hood before, so them working together isn't as random as I thought it would be. Also, Chic impersonating Jason is much better than Jason actually being alive and involved. Though, one thing I don't like about this is that Black Hood wasn't serious about his own game, he made Betty decide who would die and... well, I expected his twisted mind to stay more true to his own rules. 

I liked that the core four faced the challenge together. It seemed to me that Jughead's part was less powerful than the others' but it may just be my impression. 

I guess Alice being an FBI informant is marginally better than Alice being totally brainwashed. But I'm sure FBI could have sent someone who's better trained and, well, smarter. Still, I do hope Charles is not another fake FBI guy, another fake Charles, or both. Enough is enough.

Surprisingly, I enjoyed Hiram in this episode. At some point, I was bored with him owning nearly everyone and everything in Riverdale; it got repetitive and I wanted him to go. Then, something changed and his influence became more subdued. It coincided with Veronica somewhat going back to him, which was even more annoying. After a break, it's fun to see him being kind of invincible again, pulling strings even from prison. And it will make it even more fun to watch him fail at some point. 

I usually hate cliffhangers like the scene from the spring break. But this was well done, combined with Archie's words. Also, the first thing I thought about after seeing it was the scene from the final season of "Pretty Little Liars" 

Spoiler

I remember them teasing the scene before the episode in which it actually happened, though I have no idea how much earlier. Aria, Emily and Spencer are digging to bury Ali's husband and one of them says something like "that's what she wanted," which kind of makes it seem like they were going to bury Hanna (or Ali). Of course, when the time comes, it turns out that Ali and Hanna are both nearby, they just don't participate because they are in shock. (Not to mention that the big scene included in Season 6 finale that teased Season 7 turned out to be a nightmare that didn't actually happen...)

I do wonder why Archie was so reluctant to burn Jughead's beanie though. 

• Love 1

Wyatt Nash! It took me a minute to recall why the name was sort of familiar—I still remember him as Matt Elrod from Survivor: Redemption Island, coming in seventh behind Boston Rob and Agent Phillip.

So that's kind of weird. I don't know if I'll be watch him next season without thinking of pink underwear (which I realize wasn't him, but still).

• Useful 1
On 5/15/2019 at 9:23 PM, Snookums said:

Riverdale gonna Riverdale

That should be on a t-shirt, lmao! 

What a fantasticly fun finish. Between fits of laughter I kept saying to myself "this is so bizarre!" I can't wait for next years craziness. 🤣

• Love 2
(edited)

Some shows you just have to roll with the crazy.  It is part of its DNA.  The nutso crazy makes no sense storylines isn’t what bothers me.  It’s the  shipping that ruins the show.  Even Mary is shipping Archie and Veronica.  Sorry Mary your son is dull and often seems to be on another show.  I also think dropping the whole Dark Betty thing was a mistake.   Plus Cheryl deserves better then the way the show has been writing her.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3
On 5/16/2019 at 8:01 PM, Richness said:

Enjoyed the episode, but I'm not sure how much more of this show I can take. It's going to be difficult without the one good parent this show had. I wonder if the sudden "redemption" of Alice as an FBI informant is the result. The shirtless beefcake scenes can only take me so far, especially since it seems the whole Archie boxing/fighting thing is permanent.

I think this too which is really really really disappointing because one of interesting things about Betty is that she is on the brink of falling off the edge in large part to shitty parentage.    

I don’t really need anyone to have a comeuppance .    I love the fact that this show has no illusions of its wild and crazy and has teenagers with adult arch enemies.  Plus the show would lose ALOT if it lost Hiram and Penelope.