Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E22: Luna

• Start Topic

On 5/15/2019 at 10:21 AM, DearEvette said:

Is that what happened?  Cuz, yeah it was confusing at the end there.  I thought he somehow got away and stole the ambulance and caused the crash because in the quick cut it looked like his was thrown halfway through the window from the inside.

That was my take, too.

6 hours ago, doodlebug said:

They should hold a contest and let the fans vote on whether anyone survives the accident.  For that matter, all of the cast should be on the table, not just the ones who were in the ambulance.  Maybe an anvil can fall from the sky....

Hey, one of the ambulances could still catch fire and explode...

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 5/15/2019 at 10:21 AM, DearEvette said:

Is that what happened?  Cuz, yeah it was confusing at the end there.  I thought he somehow got away and stole the ambulance and caused the crash because in the quick cut it looked like his was thrown halfway through the window from the inside.

I thought this as well. The body on the hood was a man in a suit. Remember when the nurse went to check on him? He was gone. He knew he was going to jail, so my assumption was he escaped, stole the ambulance and of course, there was the crash.

9 hours ago, Nedsdag said:

I thought this as well. The body on the hood was a man in a suit. Remember when the nurse went to check on him? He was gone. He knew he was going to jail, so my assumption was he escaped, stole the ambulance and of course, there was the crash.

And that's another "not how it really happens in real life" moment. He wasn't going to jail. At least, he shouldn't. As far as we saw, there was not warranty, so they could not search him, and whatever is inside of him is his property. Unless I missed something, all the cops had was "we saw him swallow a pack that might be drugs". Even if there was anything else that would be probable cause for arrest, he wasn't arrested. He would be handcuffed to the bed if he were.

He was a very bad lawyer, not knowing his rights. He could have just walked out of the hospital and said he didn't consent to any search. I am sure the cops would be ok with that - after all, he was a white man.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, alexvillage said:

And that's another "not how it really happens in real life" moment. He wasn't going to jail. At least, he shouldn't. As far as we saw, there was not warranty, so they could not search him, and whatever is inside of him is his property. Unless I missed something, all the cops had was "we saw him swallow a pack that might be drugs". Even if there was anything else that would be probable cause for arrest, he wasn't arrested. He would be handcuffed to the bed if he were.

He was a very bad lawyer, not knowing his rights. He could have just walked out of the hospital and said he didn't consent to any search. I am sure the cops would be ok with that - after all, he was a white man.

Yeah, they witnessed him swallow a balloon, then he started to experience an altered mental state.

...wait, why didn't they just pump his stomach?

4 hours ago, bros402 said:

Yeah, they witnessed him swallow a balloon, then he started to experience an altered mental state.

...wait, why didn't they just pump his stomach?

All the possible explanations the writers want for this plot lead to the same wall of absurdity. Altered mental state after swallowing a balloon supposedly full of drugs are non sequitur. If the ballon popped inside his stomach, he would die, or at least be in a terrible shape, and then yes, the emergency treatment I believe would be to pump his stomach.

Pumping the stomach based on suspicion, without evidence (the X-ray showed the ballon but nt what was inside), requires a warrant. Assholes still have 4th amendment rights, at least the white assholes seem to have theses days.

On 5/17/2019 at 6:44 AM, alexvillage said:

And as mentioned before, on a Sunday, when all the doctors and office personnel go to hang out and treat non-emergency patients just for fun. Which reminds me that all that happened the episode before, the board member, office supplies,, it all happened on a Sunday too. This is such lazy writing, something that they could easily have changed to make a little closer to relatable to reality.

I know, I am thinking logically. Apologies.

People being there on a Sunday actually reads as one of the more believable things to me. I studied under a few people mentioned in the book and they were absolutely going in on Sundays if patients needed it or to catch up on paperwork. 

This show does take creative license to create some really stupid plot points, and I hope they're able to grow up the writing in Season 2 a bit. The ambulance response time is what drove me batty. I've had to call ambulances to lower Manhattan twice (do not do sports near me) and both times were incident --> hospital in under half an hour. And that includes 10 minutes of bullshit w/ building security letting them in. And that's not even getting into why the fuck Max had to be told to dial 911.

And even with all its faults, I do find the show incredibly compelling. Perhaps it's only because I have various personal and professional connections to Twelve Patients, but this show has the potential to bring things boiling under the surface of NYC up to the mainstream and into public consciousness. So even if they do some stupid shit along the way, I'm glad they're doing it. I just hope they dive more into the prison ward next season, it was a huge part of the book, and it feels like a real disservice to the "inspired by" tagline to ignore it like they have this season. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

So, Freema Agyeman is not coming back next year, or the doctor that played Bloom?  No way they will take Max' s wife away because I want it too much!  I never get what I want. 

Sad to say, I did not like Reynolds with Bloom, and I don't like him with the lawyer...I finally realized I don't like him!  It has nothing to do with his love interests, I just don't buy him in his role. 

I still have to watch the episode, but it sounds like I missed a lot more absurdity.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, alexvillage said:

All the possible explanations the writers want for this plot lead to the same wall of absurdity. Altered mental state after swallowing a balloon supposedly full of drugs are non sequitur. If the ballon popped inside his stomach, he would die, or at least be in a terrible shape, and then yes, the emergency treatment I believe would be to pump his stomach.

Pumping the stomach based on suspicion, without evidence (the X-ray showed the ballon but nt what was inside), requires a warrant. Assholes still have 4th amendment rights, at least the white assholes seem to have theses days.

The warrant stuff can be handwaved, they could've just gone to that courtroom that always seems to be in session in the hospital, or called a judge to get a warrant.

Maybe the balloon was leaking a bit, which was making him act unusual

• Love 1
3 hours ago, bros402 said:

The warrant stuff can be handwaved, they could've just gone to that courtroom that always seems to be in session in the hospital, or called a judge to get a warrant.

Maybe the balloon was leaking a bit, which was making him act unusual

Sure the warrant can even exist but as usual we were given part of a story that doesn't make sense. It would take one extra line from the cop: we have a warranty to search the contents in the stomach of this man. Then they would pump the stomach.

Either they had the warrant and sat on their asses waiting for whatever, or they didn't and the plot fails. Cannot have it both ways. 

And I  think that "leaking a little" is already an emergency, so the plot failed again.

Sorry, I am doing logic.

20 hours ago, alexvillage said:

Sure the warrant can even exist but as usual we were given part of a story that doesn't make sense. It would take one extra line from the cop: we have a warranty to search the contents in the stomach of this man. Then they would pump the stomach.

Either they had the warrant and sat on their asses waiting for whatever, or they didn't and the plot fails. Cannot have it both ways. 

And I  think that "leaking a little" is already an emergency, so the plot failed again.

Sorry, I am doing logic.

shhhh, turn off your brain when watching this show, or else you will go crazy 😛

• LOL 2

Finally catching up with the wrap up of this season. 

So, has it been confirmed that the actress who plays Helen is not returning? If so - I am very disappointed, as she and Iggy are the two characters in whom I'm actually invested. I like them (even if their story lines are sometimes inane). 

I never warmed up to Dr. Bloom, and really didn't like her with Dr. Reynolds, so if that character isn't returning, I'm OK with that. Although she was great in this episode, I'll give her that (putting aside all the medical and technical inaccuracies/impossibilities - I'm only talking about her demeanor and her ability to work under such conditions. Good for her). 

While I am no fan of Max's wife, it would be just TOO over the top for her to die, leaving Max as a grieving widower/single father/cancer patient. I actually want the wife to live, so that she and the baby can simply not be seen again (a mention here or there is fine). Max has enough craziness going on - I don't think I could deal with him if he lost his wife. 

I laughed when I saw Dr. Reynolds mom, the beautiful Leslie Uggams - as I think of her right now as the evil mother of Lucious Lyon on 'Empire.' While his  relationship with the attorney girlfriend is hardly that compelling, I'm glad that Dr. Reynolds is breaking away from the expectations he and his family had put in place decades ago. I have no problem at all with him being super-close with his family - I did very much like his sister - but he's a grown up who can and should make his own life, whatever it may be. Doesn't mean he has to cut his family off - that would be weird, given how much he loves them and vice versa - but he can and should create some balance between his family and the life he wants to create with his girlfriend. Mix 'n match - if they have kids, they'll have a fabulous family to support them. I'm sure the engagement/marriage is doomed, this being a DRAMA and all, but...I'd like to see it work.

• Love 2

It was all so over the top. There were half a dozen plot points in this episode alone that made me go, "Oh come on!" For me, the worst of those was the show figuring out a contrivance to get not only Dr. Bloom to that apartment but also Dr. Sharpe. Bloom hasn't been seen in months but just happened to show up the minute her boss had an active emergency (even if he is too much of a delusional do it all himself doofus to notice). And Dr. Sharpe, well she just happened to be available to ride to the scene herself because the show was worried we would forget how much she cares about Max despite them showing us this fact in every one of her scenes. Does anyone really believe they would kill off Dr. Sharpe? Without her, there really isn't a show.

Put anyone with an ounce of logic in that writers' room and they would be pulling their hair out dealing with this mess, but not before they finished pulling out more of Max's hair to make his chemo story start to make more sense.

9 hours ago, Superpole2000 said:

It was all so over the top. There were half a dozen plot points in this episode alone that made me go, "Oh come on!" For me, the worst of those was the show figuring out a contrivance to get not only Dr. Bloom to that apartment but also Dr. Sharpe. Bloom hasn't been seen in months but just happened to show up the minute her boss had an active emergency (even if he is too much of a delusional do it all himself doofus to notice). And Dr. Sharpe, well she just happened to be available to ride to the scene herself because the show was worried we would forget how much she cares about Max despite them showing us this fact in every one of her scenes. Does anyone really believe they would kill off Dr. Sharpe? Without her, there really isn't a show.

Put anyone with an ounce of logic in that writers' room and they would be pulling their hair out dealing with this mess, but not before they finished pulling out more of Max's hair to make his chemo story start to make more sense.

At least Bloom going to Max's place feels somewhat natural - she wanted to quit right then, so she went to her boss who is open to being talked to whenever.

Sharpe was just ridiculous - I mean she has other patients outside of the medical director

I'm not sure of her name, but the lady in charge of the hospital? the one that always walking the hallways with Max and trying to keep him on time for his meetings and such and she was doing the same for Sharpe this episode - I just saw her in a commercial for a new series on ABC this fall. So maybe somehow she is the body under the sheet.

5 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I'm not sure of her name, but the lady in charge of the hospital? the one that always walking the hallways with Max and trying to keep him on time for his meetings and such and she was doing the same for Sharpe this episode - I just saw her in a commercial for a new series on ABC this fall. So maybe somehow she is the body under the sheet.

I do not remember what Max's assistant name is. Something ending in a? Maybe ending in na?

Just got to watch the last episode and it reminded me of the ending of Nashville when they wrote Connie Britton out of the series.  Lot of mellow drama followed by last minute survival and then when you think that everything is going to be okay, being t-boned in an accident.  Nashville did exactly the same scenario.

I agree with YourMom (can't manage to operate quote function today): there should be a moratorium (at least) on cliffhangers with T-bone collisions. Ucch. Count me among those who yelled "Seriously?" at their TVs. Just stop doing this, tv writers!

Seems to me that if Iggy's admitting to having trouble maintaining professional boundaries, the way to manage that is not to appeal to his ego, Vijay, and tell him that he's the only one who can save the patient. (Iggy might be my favourite character, but it's at least partly because I'm marvelling at the idea of Tyler Labine as a grown-up, y'all.)

I love Freema Agyeman, and Helen might be my other favourite character (because she's, y'know, not an egomaniacal wilful child) and I'll be sad if she leaves. Not so sad if Dr. Mohimbo, Cancer Genius Boytoy, leaves; I was kind of appalled that he just walked out on Helen without a word in the previous episode.

Max's assistant is called Dora. Like "Dora La Administradora," maybe?

Edited by Sandman
  • LOL 1
On 8/2/2019 at 8:46 AM, Sandman said:

I agree with YourMom (can't manage to operate quote function today): there should be a moratorium (at least) on cliffhangers with T-bone collisions. Ucch. Count me among those who yelled "Seriously?" at their TVs. Just stop doing this, tv writers!

Seems to me that if Iggy's admitting to having trouble maintaining professional boundaries, the way to manage that is not to appeal to his ego, Vijay, and tell him that he's the only one who can save the patient. (Iggy might be my favourite character, but it's at least partly because I'm marvelling at the idea of Tyler Labine as a grown-up, y'all.)

I love Freema Agyeman, and Helen might be my other favourite character (because she's, y'know, not an egomaniacal wilful child) and I'll be sad if she leaves. Not so sad if Dr. Mohimbo, Cancer Genius Boytoy, leaves; I was kind of appalled that he just walked out on Helen without a word in the previous episode.

Max's assistant is called Dora. Like "Dora La Administradora," maybe?

He's gone more than likely. The actor, Sendhil Ramamurthy, will have a starring role as the new villain in this coming season of The Flash, which shoots in Vancouver, BC.

All I could think when I watched the accident is that all these medical dramas are the same. Dr Shepard in Greys anatomy died exactly the same way- with the ambulance car crash after we all thought he had just saved someone. Its actual ridiculous and hilarious lol!