Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Take Me Out

Brandon contemplates a big decision that could either restore or destroy his dream of playing piano, but Stef and Lena find themselves on opposite ends of the debate. The Foster siblings plot to cheer Brandon up by taking him out to see a band and he butts heads with the sexy lead singer Lou. Meanwhile, Stef confronts Mike about his whereabouts the night Ana disappeared. A mysterious stranger keeps tabs on Callie, and Callie is faced with a choice that could further complicate her life. An encounter with Connor's dad creates a rift in Jude and Connor's friendship. And Jesus begins to feel threatened by Emma's independent spirit.

(edited)

Well that was a whole lot of nothing going on for an hour. It seems Marianna's blond locks were a warning sign for this season. I've really come to notice that Teri does this thing where she whispers and then gets louder and then whispers some more, it can be quite...irksome.

I did like the scenes with Callie and her father, I think the two actors really do look like they could be father and daughter. It's good that they didn't drag out the will he or won't he sign bit, I like the way Kerr is playing things so far. So the half sister has been clued in already, another good move I'd say, so it isn't as if Callie is meant to be this guy's dirty little secret.

And admittedly I think Callie having more biological family isn't a terrible thing, I get the show is about having two moms and all but Stef and Lena aren't so perfect, thankfully, that I think they're the be all end all to parent the kids.

I know, or rather am guessing, that they did it to make Lena's pregnancy more dramatic but the idea that two grown women would go ahead and use a man's sperm without a legal contract in place is almost too stupid for words.

Edited by CPP83
  • Love 2

I know, or rather am guessing, that they did it to make Lena's pregnancy more dramatic but the idea that two grown women would go ahead and use a man's sperm without a legal contract in place is almost too stupid for words.

Yeah, I remember the scene where they decided to do that before Timothy signed, and I was trying not to yell at my TV at how dumb they were being.

I felt really bad for Jude after that scene with Connor.

And admittedly I think Callie having more biological family isn't a terrible thing, I get the show is about having two moms and all but Stef and Lena aren't so perfect, thankfully, that I think they're the be all end all to parent the kids.

And it isn't like all of the other kids are completely free and clear of additional family entanglements. I can understand Callie's confusion about potentially having a father who may not actually be completely terrible. I think it could be an interesting storyline to have her have a dad and half sister she sees sometimes. I know it isn't unheard of for kids who are adopted out of foster care to still have family members they see sometimes.

*sigh* They don't need to make Lena's pregnancy even more dramatic. They already have a bunch of stuff going on as it is and Lena's age is already a factor into her pregnancy. I liked Timothy before they made him into a complete jerk.

I like the Callie/Robert storyline, and I do like where they're heading with it. I said last week that I was worried about Callie's dad being a scumbag and I probably would have liked if they kept him one way. But seeing this week's episode, I like how he genuinely didn't know about Callie until recently and I like how he told his other daughter Sophie immediately and let her write the letter to Callie. I mean, it might be slightly manipulative to get Callie to bond with them, but I think he and Sophie genuinely want to get to know Callie. I also really like that he's willing to sign the papers and he didn't have anything to do with the DNA test. Now, I really am hoping now that it's all true because I want the papers signed and I also want Callie to get the chance to meet Sophie and get to know her bio dad because he doesn't seem like a jerk. I mean, would a jerk really keep going to a dingy restaurant and give a $100 tip if he wasn't wanting to know her?

So, I'm guessing Brandon/Lou will have a thing. Ok.

Ok, Jesus was kind of an idiot for blurting out that Emma was bossy, but he was being honest and it was true, so Emma storming off like that was kind of uncool. I get both of their POVs and am on Jesus' side at the moment. But at the same time, good for Emma for being a bit dominant and not letting the guy take all the control. Again, at the same time, that was a bit too dominating. 

The story tonight that made me sad was Jude's story with Connor. His dad is clearly homophobic and a jerk to Connor, yet Connor's probably been raised to be like him. I hope these two lovebirds make up soon because I'm pretty sure the next couple of episodes with them won't be pretty if Jude comes clean about his feelings with Connor.

And finally, a Callie/Brandon scene I actually liked with them in his bedroom. I do like their friendship a lot. I think they both needed that talk, for Callie to get things off her chest and for Brandon to think about this surgery thing a bit more.

Oh, yeah, Dani. Still a total bitch and I hope they send her off somewhere far, far away. I was going to say I hope she rots in hell, but that's a tad too mean.

(edited)

I really appreciate how much of a slow burn this Jude/Connor thing has been. Given how much melodrama the other character engage with on a weekly basis, I like that Jude has been figuring himself out more in "real time." I'm sure that's as much a function of child labor laws than anything else, but I'll take what I can get.

I have trouble buying the half-sister letter thing. I was a fairly nice, level-headed kid at her age, but if my dad had come out and said, "Oh, turns out you have a long-lost half sister!" I doubt my first reaction would have been to write a letter saying "Let's be friends!"

Edited by retrograde
  • Love 1
(edited)

Brandon's plot was frustrating to watch simply because no one said what needed to be said: Actually attempt to play the piano, Brandon. Then we'll assess any further surgery. Honestly, come on, dude. You have to try more than a few times before you decide to have a surgery that could only give you an extra 5% boost... or cut that 95% down to a 75%. Why wasn't anyone saying this?! The band's song was pretty nice, his addition to it wasn't all that impressive, though. And clearly he and the lead singer are going to have a bicker and then make out kind of relationship. Fabulous.

I adore the whole Connor/Jude story and I think they would be the absolute cutest together, so I'm glad they're starting to address that possibility. The dad was pretty stereotypical, hard on his son to be a manly sports dude but easy on the sensitive newbie. Of course he would flip out over a (possibly) gay kid (not really) making moves on his son (who he probably already thinks may be gay). Just wait until the Mama Bears find out.

I loved the scene with Callie and Mariana after Robert flaked out at the DNA test. Really love their bond. Callie's going to have a difficult time just cutting off ties now that her half-sister has reached out. I'm really hoping, in keeping with the whole, "what makes a family," slogan, he signs the papers but she keeps in touch with them (or at least the daughter) regularly.

Glad they finally explained what Jesus' issue was because I really couldn't tell. I didn't think he was being a sexist jerk about it... just based on this episode (in which they laid it on very thickly), she was bossy; she decided where they were going, when they were leaving, when and where they'd be having sex and how the makeout session would go. He wasn't much of a factor in this thing, really. But whatever, now we have to deal with her wrath. Also, I'd like to know, how did she feel hanging out with Marianna and Callie? Didn't look like she broke out in hives, having to associate with other girls.

Again with the Stef goes to Mike about Brandon without thinking to talk with Lena, and then blowing up when Lena goes to "their" son behind her back. Can we have a(nother) conversation about this, please? When Lena came downstairs and saw the two of them sleeping on the couch, I wondered if perhaps she was thinking, "soon I'll have my own child to have a special bond with". Of course Timothy is on the principal finding committee. He really should step down because if he doesn't vote for Lena, he's being an asshole (again) but if he does and everyone finds out that he's the father of Lena's baby, it'll be favoritism. This is such a mess.

Dani's still shady. And based on Mike's lingering outside after his conversation with Stef, perhaps he's lying about seeing Ana. But I want to believe his story about defending the waitress. I'm starting to think that the guy who "recognized" Mike is the one who heckled the waitress and/or the one who attacked (killed?) Ana. Or he's covering for a friend.

Edited by omgsowicked
  • Love 3

I don't know whether those papers get signed. Having Callie go to live with her father and not live with the Fosters is a way to heat back up the Brallie relationship, which I still think is end game.

• Love 1
(edited)

Again with the Stef goes to Mike about Brandon without thinking to talk with Lena, and then blowing up when Lena goes to "their" son behind her back. Can we have a(nother) conversation about this, please? When Lena came downstairs and saw the two of them sleeping on the couch, I wondered if perhaps she was thinking, "soon I'll have my own child to have a special bond with". Of course Timothy is on the principal finding committee. He really should step down because if he doesn't vote for Lena, he's being an asshole (again) but if he does and everyone finds out that he's the father of Lena's baby, it'll be favoritism. This is such a mess.

This definitely needs to come up again and be seriously addressed. Lena was right to call Stef out on the "our" kid stuff since she didn't see fit to consult with Lena at all. If she really considered Lena to also be a parent to Brandon then all three of them should have sat down to have a conversation about his surgery. Brandon can't just be "our" child when it's convenient for Stef. Lena and Brandon's relationship has had the least development IMO. Lena has been apart of his life since he was 5 years old. Is she not allowed to have any input into his parenting? This show always tends to play the beats that Lena is some sort of outside figure in his life. It's not as if she just met the kid. She's been with Stef for the majority of his life. What is he, 16/17 now? I also think apart of Lena wanting this new baby has to do with how she feels about her place as a parent in that household. Stef has a biological child and Lena doesn't and it seems as though she is a bit envious of Stef and Brandon's bond especially since it seems she is allowed little influence in his life in particular compared to the other children. This new kid would be a chance for Lena to have something of her own and I don't think she has truly addressed the reasons why it is really so important to her to go through with this. 

I like the Jude/Connor story and I agree that it's been great that haven't rushed this storyline the way they have every other storyline.

I'm of two minds about Callie's situation. On the one hand, I think it's great for Callie's development as a character. On the other, I don't think the show needs any more recurring characters. This cast is already bloated as it is IMO. I'm already well over having to deal with Dani and Ana and all the kids love interests. And I think the only reason they may be retconning Callie's parentage in the first place is because Braillie is still very much intended to be endgame at some point and they need an excuse for Callie not be officially adopted by the family. I already like Brandon ten times more right now that his focus is on his hand and not Callie. Lets not ruin his progression for more Braillie melodrama. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Love 1

I don't know whether those papers get signed. Having Callie go to live with her father and not live with the Fosters is a way to heat back up the Brallie relationship, which I still think is end game.

I'm not sure whether the papers get signed so quickly either. Robert said that he would sign them after his attorneys give the "okay". Let's see if that really happens. I don't see Callie leaving the Fosters to go and live with her bio dad/sister because she would never leave Jude. I can see the bio sister reaching out to Callie; let's see if Robert's wife is as welcoming. Also - Colleen gave Callie his last name as her middle name so she must have felt kindly towards him. If so, did she really leave him and not tell him about his child? Doesn't seem to follow. While I think that Robert will likely turn out to be a decent guy - and a contrast to the evil bio mom, Ana - I think it was very manipulative of him to give Callie a letter from his daughter in an attempt to push a relationship. The key will be whether he does agree to sign the papers -- and to leave the choice up to Callie. Loved how she said that "her moms" didn't want her working more than 3 days at the place. I don't recall her calling Stef and Lena "her moms" before. Also noticed that Robert picked up on it but didn't seem to have an issue with it.

I really like having Daphne working with Callie at the burger joint. Callie needs a sounding board other than Wyatt and the Fosters.

I liked most of this episode a lot, especially the bond which has formed between Callie and Mariana. Connor/Jude broke my heart because it is not going to end well for Jude, at least in the short run. I liked the fight between Lena and Stef over not communicating regarding Brandon -- and how they presented a united front to him at the end. Stef/Mike making decisions about Brandon without Lena harkens back to early Season 1; they still haven't figured out completely how to all co-parent him. I also liked seeing a lot of family interaction: Callie and Mariana talking with Brandon about his hand, Stef/Brandon, Lena/Brandon. Jesus does seem to be out on an island with his storyline - which I could care less about. Also not into the Dani/Mike/bloody hands storyline because I am waiting for Stef to uncover the ticking time bomb that is Dani/Brandon.

• Love 1

As someone upthread mentioned, this episode definitely cooled down on burning through story quick.  I appreciated the fact that after the premiere (which still didn't totally feel like a premiere, but whatever), this episode allowed the characters to sort of sit with their situations a little bit more.  Maybe nothing super dramatic happened, but I enjoyed that.  We need a break from the high melodrama.

I'm glad to see the show starting to explore Jude's relationship with Connor, but my heart breaks for both of them, because the cynic in me thinks that it isn't going to end well for either boy.

And while I feel like Jesus and Emma's story line in this episode could have been handled with a lighter touch (it got a little hamfisted, yeah?), I really liked seeing Emma be in charge, speak her mind, tell Jesus what she likes, etc.  Of course there are more subtle ways to do that, but aren't they like 15/16?  That part, to me, felt authentic.  Plus, how often do we see a girl on TV/in movies take charge like that?  Not often enough.

The jury's still out for me on the whole Callie/bio-dad thing.  But I agree with @Scootman that the end-game is Callie and Brandon finding ~true love~ with each other.  But maybe the show will surprise us? 

• Love 2
(edited)

Loved how she said that "her moms" didn't want her working more than 3 days at the place. I don't recall her calling Stef and Lena "her moms" before. Also noticed that Robert picked up on it but didn't seem to have an issue with it.

I liked that too but something tells me that is not going to stick. I have a feeling Robert is going to have second thoughts about signing over his rights. And I wonder what role his wife is going to play into this. I hope she doesn't turn out to be manipulative like Dani.

ETA: I'm wondering where Connor's dad got the idea that Jude must be gay from. All he did was touch the kid's back. Or maybe he is assuming Jude must be gay because he is being raised by two moms. I know their are still a lot of people out there who believe gay parent equals gay kid. I find it interesting that Jude didn't tell Callie and Mariana why Connor wasn't coming over. I know he definitely isn't trying to tell Stef and Lena. They are pitbulls about their kids. 

Edited by Turkish
The story tonight that made me sad was Jude's story with Connor. His dad is clearly homophobic and a jerk to Connor, yet Connor's probably been raised to be like him. 

Maybe it is because they are in their early teens now, but I never got that impression about Connor before. Remember he was the one who painted his nails blue in solidarity with Jude. I would think if his dad was homophobic now, he would've been last year too and had a problem with it with the blue nails (I presume because if a pat on the back set off his "gaydar" boys painting their fingernails would have sent him over an edge). But we didn't get that vibe before. 

I have a feeling Robert is going to have second thoughts about signing over his rights.

I'm okay with him having second thoughts about signing over his rights if it is done in the correct way. Robert just found out he has this kid and now he has to sign all of his rights away? That seems problematic. I hope they can work out an open adoption scenario so that Callie can benefit from both sets of family. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I feel like I root for all the people the show doesn't want me to like/root for. Like, no, Lena, Timothy isn't the devil. It's not his fault you're a complete dumbass. And, no actually guys, Callie's dad isn't a terrible person because he wants to know facts. Shut up, all of you! All the primary characters (save Jude) think they're so damn better than everyone else. It drives me insane. At least with Callie, Brandon, Mariana, and Jesus, they're just teenagers, Stef/Lena are grown ass woman and they need to get off their high horses. I really can not stand these people! But it's pretty fun to hate them. This is the first time I've ever understood hate watching.

Brandon looks so very old now. In the scene at the concert thing he looked like he was their much older brother or uncle or something.

The Jude/Connor story was once the only actually good/real thing about this show, but they seem to be retconning the shit out of it so I'm very annoyed by even it now. Plus I'm sure Lena and Stef will act like Connor's dad is some kind of evil monster immediately upon hearing this stuff and just ugh.

I laughed so much during this ep though. I had a lot of fun watching it. I've taken to just viewing it as a comedy really and that entertains me.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1
(edited)

Maybe it is because they are in their early teens now, but I never got that impression about Connor before. Remember he was the one who painted his nails blue in solidarity with Jude. I would think if his dad was homophobic now, he would've been last year too and had a problem with it with the blue nails (I presume because if a pat on the back set off his "gaydar" boys painting their fingernails would have sent him over an edge). But we didn't get that vibe before. 

I'm okay with him having second thoughts about signing over his rights if it is done in the correct way. Robert just found out he has this kid and now he has to sign all of his rights away? That seems problematic. I hope they can work out an open adoption scenario so that Callie can benefit from both sets of family. 

I agree on both counts.  The nail polish thing occurred to me too regarding Connor and also how much time he's spent with Jude previously at the Fosters.  If the dad is that set to alert re gay, you'd think he'd have been more bothered by how much time Connor spends with Jude and the Fosters and their moms.

The only fanwank I can come up with is that Connor's parents are not together and he spends more time at his mom's home.  Otherwise, this feels a little sudden and out of the blue.

As for Callie, I want her to be adopted, but I also want her to have a relationship of some sort with her newly discovered bio-family.  I like the idea of a open adoption type situation which would allow for her get to know them but still be a Foster.  And yeah, I cannot see that Callie would never leave Jude. So living with the bio-dad seems like a non-starter.

I did.  Callie was extremely ambivalent about him to the point that she convinced herself that she didn't even want to see his face and came up with a plan to avoid looking at him when he was in the room.  This seems pretty consistent with some major avoidance.  It wasn't until she was told she was going to have to see him and then he didn't show that she realize part of her wanted to see him. (I loved her scene with Mariana about this.  I'm really enjoying their bonding.)

One thing I felt a little strange was the paternity test and signing a document that she wouldn't pursue him financially.  She was trying to be adopted by other people.  When you are adopted, it cuts off your rights of inheritance with your bio-family so she'd have not intestate rights.  She also could hardly sue for other support when she asked him formally to relinquish his rights to her.  So she clearly wasn't trying to get to his money via severing his parental rights.  

And as for agreeing not to sue for anything in the future (on what grounds I have no idea), she's a minor.  I don't see how she could waive any such rights anyhow.  Generally speaking, minors cannot be held to a contract signed if they choose to withdraw.   I guess they could have the judge approve the agreement to assure some enforceability, but the whole thing just seemed odd.

And yeah, Lena throwing shade at Timothy when she and Stef where the morons  who jumped the gun was totally ridiculous.  I realize that he agreed verbally, but it's no small thing to father a child and he had second thoughts about doing so and then signing off his rights.  And Lena was the idiot that wanted to use a person they knew rather than an anonymous donor in the first place.  That is a recipe for messy feelings.  It can work out, but is not at all an easy thing. 

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 4
(edited)
I feel like I root for all the people the show doesn't want me to like/root for. Like, no, Lena, Timothy isn't the devil. It's not his fault you're a complete dumbass. And, no actually guys, Callie's dad isn't a terrible person because he wants to know facts. Shut up, all of you! All the primary characters (save Jude) think they're so damn better than everyone else. It drives me insane

Are you living inside my head, peachmangosteen? I couldn't agree with you more with this.

Timothy changing his mind was his right, he was under the impression that they would not be using his sperm until he signed the contract, he searched himself and was honest about the fact that it was just too much. He could not just have a kid and give it away with no strings attached, he didn't string them along. If anything he thought he had spared them all by coming to them with his decision, putting a stop to things.

It was Lena being so caught up on having a cycle, and acting as if it was her last chance or something, and Sref caving that they went ahead and used the sperm without making sure everything was legally binding and complete. I put it all on them personally, their impatience and inept thinking got them all into this mess, all Timothy did was hand them the cup, it was up to them to be adults about how they treated the contents.

And if Robert truly was in the dark about Callie's existence then he's a victim not a villain, imo. What makes him a bad man, a bad parent, just because he was kept in the dark and lied to? Sure Stef and Lena aren't horrible parents but what makes Robert any less capable or able than them beside being a biological parent?

I really have strong feelings about this real life subject, heh, because it happened in my own family so I am not a fan at all of the show's heavy handed treatment about this, as if Robert has some nerve for thinking that the daughter he didn't know about for sixteen years, and very well could already have feelings for and love, might very well belong with him merely because someone else got her first, and only because he had no clue she existed, to me that's just crazy.

Lena and Stef were once the "dykes" to Callie, they were strangers too, people she didn't trust, Robert being someone Callie doesn't know is not a valid enough reason, to me, for him to just sign on the dotted line and be waved off.

Though I still wouldn't be surprised if Robert still turns out to be the "bad guy" to pave the way for the adoption. But if they keep him in the position he is currently in, as the dad who truly didn't know, that changes things for me. 

Edited by CPP83
  • Love 2

I'm sure Lena and Stef will act like Connor's dad is some kind of evil monster immediately upon hearing this stuff and just ugh.

I hope the show handles that well; my 13yo told us she was bisexual to which my first question was "do I need to change the sleepover rules?" It's pretty academic at this point, late-blooming prude that she is, and I know kids will find a way, but I'm gonna make her have to work for it and sneak around like everyone else has to. I'm not suspending them now, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

I love her and only care who she wants to be with insofar as they treat her well. But I do need to keep her safe from diseases and shitty people as much as I can.

• Love 2

Again with the Stef goes to Mike about Brandon without thinking to talk with Lena, and then blowing up when Lena goes to "their" son behind her back. Can we have a(nother) conversation about this, please?

THIS.  I was shocked at how quickly this was resolved - Stef complains to Lena, walks out of their room in a huff and then next time it's addressed, we're … all good? And apparently no interim conversation with Mike has happened? Because he apparently had strong feelings about no more surgery and now all we've done is set up a rerun of first season's "no punishment/punishment" dispute over when Brandon took Callie to see Jude and the bad foster dad pointed a gun at them.

And:

It was Lena being so caught up on having a cycle, and acting as if it was her last chance or something, and Sref caving that they went ahead and used the sperm without making sure everything was legally binding and complete. I put it all on them personally, their impatience and inept thinking got them all into this mess, all Timothy did was hand them the cup, it was up to them to be adults about how they treated the contents.

THIS TOO.  I'm sorry, it's one thing (I guess) to say that any adult person would have gone ahead and done this in the way this was handled on the show (like, Timothy made his donation IN THEIR HOUSE without reading the contract FIRST? And THEN they inseminated without the contract? At home?!) but to say that THESE TWO PARTICULAR CHARACTERS would do this in this way is absolutely unbelievable and ludicrous, IMO.  If anyone in the world knows what it is like to three-way parent a child where two are bio-parents and the third is not, it is THESE TWO PEOPLE.  Furthermore, who else knows better what havoc can be wreaked by a bio parent, even AFTER their parental rights are severed? Again: THESE TWO PEOPLE, one of who was SHOT by just such a person! Are you kidding me with this?

Finally, on a totally superficial note: WHAT was Callie wearing when they went to the "club" to see the band play? That was FULL ON Peter Pan collar and cuffs and it was 100% not anything any teenage girl would believably wear to a "concert" of any kind. (Though I did appreciate that they mentioned it was an "all ages" show.)

• Love 2
(edited)

Though I still wouldn't be surprised if Robert still turns out to be the "bad guy" to pave the way for the adoption. But if they keep him in the position he is currently in, as the dad who truly didn't know, that changes things for me. 

I think it could go one of two ways; Robert will be 'evil' to facilitate Callie's adoption or he won't and Callie will not get adopted because Brandon/Callie is endgame.

That was FULL ON Peter Pan collar and cuffs and it was 100% not anything any teenage girl would believably wear to a "concert" of any kind. 

I feel like nothing that happens on this show is believable for any real people TBH. But, yea, Callie's outfit was a hot mess. But then so was Mariana's. 

Can someone recap what is going on with Jesus/Emma? I had to fast forward most of their scenes because I just can not even hate watch that mess, but I'm still kinda interested in what happened. I assume Emma was probably just going on about how much she's totes not like all the other girls. Which, speaking of, yay to the promo with that new guy telling Mariana she's not like those other girls. Cool, more casual sexism!

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1
Again with the Stef goes to Mike about Brandon without thinking to talk with Lena, and then blowing up when Lena goes to "their" son behind her back. Can we have a(nother) conversation about this, please?

I know, right? I absolutely agree with this. We literally dealt with this lack of communication in 1A, where even Stef and Lena were making choices about Brandon behind Mike's back, right? And then we still had the Mike/Stef vs Lena in that same half season, but then they found a way to make decisions altogether by the end. So having the show regress back to Stef/Mike vs Lena, it bugs the hell out of me. I hate regression so for Stef to do that, especially for such a pivotal event in Brandon's life, I am on Lena's side for going to talk to Brandon. It's not like she said 'yes, go do the surgery. Just don't tell Mama'. She just went to state her opinion.

Can someone recap what is going on with Jesus/Emma. I had to fast forward most of their scenes because I just can not even hate watch that shit, but I'm still kinda interested on what happened. I assume Emma was probably just going on about how much she's totes not like all the other girls. Which, speaking of, yay to the promo with that new guy telling Mariana she's not like those other girls. Cool, more casual sexism!

Ok, in short terms, Emma was basically being a bit controlling when they arrived at the concert, from where they were going to what they were doing during their makeout session in the car. Emma wanted to have sex but Jesus said no. The next day, Emma and Jesus were talking and Jesus said that she was being bossy, which caused Emma to I think break up with him or something? I kind of missed the last bit of their scene. It's clear Emma is the dominant type and Jesus kind of is. I don't think he's used to having females being the dominant ones so he kind of freaked out over that. It's a bit sexist for him to think that girls shouldn't be in control (at least that's the feeling I get) but at the same time, Emma was being controlling. It's just that she did stop when he asked so I don't think she was in the wrong. 

I think when it comes to strong female characters, it's a fine line between what is ok and what is too much. Males can get with a lot more on tv, but females are judged much more harshly for their actions. I think Emma is just fine; maybe a bit too bossy, sure, and too much with the 'can't be friends with girls', but I think if a male had Emma's storyline, it would be received much differently.

• Love 1

Stef really has a problem with flip flopping back and forth about Brandon and his parenting. They've been together, co-parenting, for over a decade now, how the hell isn't this more worked out? It doesn't make sense to me, and it's needless drama, and it makes Stef look like a two faced spouse, imo.

I don't know what or why it is but apparently biological connections on this show is akin to being filled with the devil's own sputum, heh, it drives everyone bonkers when they're dealing with the subject.

She can't have it both ways, there should never be any discussion about "their" son that doesn't involve all three of his parents, she kept Mike in his life and brought Lena in, all three of them love the boy so there should be no miscommunication right now, they've had way too much time to get their shit together as far as I'm concerned.

• Love 5

I was very angry that Stef not only didn't talk with Lena about Brandon's surgery, but then was angry that Lena talked with Brandon. The fact that Stef also talked with Dani but not Mike (about Mike) makes it more of a character flaw than a particular of her relationship with Lena, but nevertheless, I think it seriously needs addressing and fixing in her relationship with Lena, and probably elsewhere. It was notable that after the two moms did finally talk with Brandon together, B hugged Stef but not Lena, even after Lena hung around for a bit to give him the chance-- and even though she was the one parent out of three who actually took up for him and advocated for what he originally asked. She has been his parent since he was young enough to crawl into bed between her and Stef (evidenced by Stef talking about Lena's ribs attacking his elbows -- ha ha), so they really should be more comfortable.

Lena and Timothy was very strange to me. She was openly hostile to him, and he was being sketchy as hell. Given that she was stupid enough to inseminate before he signed the contract, and he was dumb enough to make the donation before reading it, they are now stuck with each other forever. So as 2 adults they should be trying to come up with some kind of practical detente, but instead it seems like they are just sniping and being openly resentful. And he really does need to recuse himself from the hiring committee. He can't vote yes or no on her appointment without having his integrity in question. I don't know where they an go with this that I'd want to see, and I don't believe that two lesbians as experienced as Stef and Lena would be so crazy and stupid to wind up in this situation in the first place, so I'm kind of unhappy about everything related to this pregnancy and all the drama surrounding it.

I agree Connor didn't used to be a homophobe. The blue nails was the biggest sign, but also, just in general, he's been pretty openly cool with Jude in general. I also thought the attraction was mutual-- his nervousness at batting with Jude there seemed to be the flusteredness of being watched by a crush, because his dad seemed to find it out of character.

We don't actually know if his dad is the one who forbade them from having sleepovers, though. Maybe Connor flipped out and is blaming his dad.

Either way, I'm sad for Jude. I love him saying he didn't want to be anyone's secret, but then he didn't tell his siblings what happened, so he's not 100% okay with it all. either. I love that Mariana was interested in playing the game with him, though. She is becoming the star sibling for how she is with all the others. I love her with Callie and her relationship with Brandon is also good.

I like Emma. I think it's great that she knows what she likes and is comfortable asking for it. But I don't think Jesus is just being a neanderthal dick to feel like she doesn't let him participate in the relationship-- mostly because she basically laughs at him whenever he tries to indicate what he wants-- she never even asks him where he's at, and when he finally speaks up she's dismissive. She doesn't come off like she's negotiating, she comes off like she's dominating. It's not really a better thing when it's the girl vs the boy who's doing that. I'm waiting to see if she meets him halfway after she gets over her upset, because I can easily imagine she's been rejected for being strong and anything that comes even close to that territory sends her into a major stress response. I don't want the lesson to be: girls should be submissive. But I didn't think Jesus was being a monster here. I think they both need to chill. He needs to be interested in and able to handle her saying what she likes and she needs to ask him what he likes, too. Simple solution but won't work if anyone's defensive.

I understood that Callie didn't google Robert right away, because as she said to Mariana, she was too traumatized by the situation and just didn't want to know. She even said she was planning to literally not look at him during the DNA test. I personally would be more curious, but I'm the sort who would have gotten electrocuted as a kid, if there hadn't been adults around policing the electrical outlets. I was actually interested that what seemed to make her finally able to do it was her conversations with Mariana and Brandon, as though having them support her and challenge her made her braver. I thought it was very weird that Quinn didn't write his own letter to her, and just gave her the one from his daughter. He seems like a weird person, and not very emotionally strong. I know dudes like him rely on lawyers for stuff, but him sitting there with his milkshakes and leaving 100$ tips can't be lawyer-advised activity, either.

I like the slower pacing of this episode, and I just wish they had more episodes to work with so I wasn't fearing they'd be cramming hasty endings to all the zillion plotlines into the last 2 minutes of the season.

• Love 3
I think it could go one of two ways; Robert will be 'evil' to facilitate Callie's adoption or he won't and Callie will not get adopted because Brandon/Callie is endgame.

That's my thinking as well, Kerr isn't known for playing the "bad guy" so maybe that theme will continue. I just don't want drama and angst for the sake of it, I get plenty of that watching GH. Really I don't think anyone needs to be the "bad guy" in this. Lena and Stef love Callie and want to give her a home, Robert can love her and want what is best for her, and Callie could want them all and have them all, there doesn't need to be a tug of war if everyone could just share.

I just feel like Stef and Lena have been more combative than they had to be, especially when they filed those abandonment papers against him when all they had to do, apparently, was Google him and call him up to talk face to face. I wouldn't be surprised if that move is what brought along his family's lawyers counter attack, wanting the DNA test and her to sign away any right to the Quinn fortune, etc.

It was notable that after the two moms did finally talk with Brandon together, B hugged Stef but not Lena, even after Lena hung around for a bit to give him the chance-- and even though she was the one parent out of three who actually took up for him and advocated for what he originally asked. She has been his parent since he was young enough to crawl into bed between her and Stef (evidenced by Stef talking about Lena's ribs attacking his elbows -- ha ha), so they really should be more comfortable.

I said earlier that the Lena/Brandon relationship is the least developed/most neglected and it shouldn't be based on what we know about them. That particular scene just proves my point. It was so jarring. Why do Lena and Brandon practically feel like strangers when she has supposedly raised him for 10 years and has been his teacher and/or assistant principal for just as long? If anything she probably has had more access to him over the years than Mike and Stef have. The writers have really dropped the ball on this relationship the most. 

(edited)
I feel like I root for all the people the show doesn't want me to like/root for. ... And, no actually guys, Callie's dad isn't a terrible person because he wants to know facts.

I don't think we're meant to think that Robert Quinn is a terrible guy. On the contrary, IMO we're supposed to empathize with Quinn and think, "Hey, he's not so bad." The show has already gone the "terrible bio parent" route with Ana, I think they're going down a different road here. They're going to show Quinn and his family being pretty stand-up people to set up some sort of conflict with Callie feeling torn between two decent families.

Yes, the episode showed the individual characters acting hostile towards Quinn, but that's different than the show itself portraying him as the villain. What with the reveal that he didn't know Callie's mom was pregnant, and the note from his other daughter, and his general demeanor, he's not really being portrayed as some shifty ne'er-do-well.

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 2
We don't actually know if his dad is the one who forbade them from having sleepovers, though. Maybe Connor flipped out and is blaming his dad.

I had to watch the scene with the dad again, but he did give this look when he saw Jude's hand on Connor's back so I don't think this is the case.

I do want to watch their scenes again though, because maybe Connor isn't actually homophobic. I'll admit to have forgotten about the blue nails episode when I made my first post, but maybe Connor is ok with everything and might be forming feelings for Jude himself, but because of his dad's disapproval, is afraid and starting to distance himself from Jude. I will want to watch their scenes once more to fully give my opinion on the matter, but I am hoping Connor does like Jude but is just afraid of his dad. 

Hmm...actually thinking about Callie's storyline, I wonder if they're going to go one of two ways: either Callie meeting Sophie will have her think of the possibility of asking Robert not to sign the papers (maybe something else happens that impacts this) or maybe, a more out there yet unique idea, if Sophie meets Callie and asks/begs her dad to not sign the papers in hopes to keep her older sister around. 

I really don't want Brandon and Callie to be romantic endgame. I was enjoying that they seemed less chemically charged this episode. She went into his room to talk to him and there was no time where I felt like UST was on the table. It's the first time in a long time that I've felt that wasn't there, and Wyatt being "out of town" and unavailable as a distraction made the absence of temptation even better. I really hope a resurrection of that story is not why they are creating the new biodad drama.

I think an open adoption is a good topic to explore. So far, Robert is not acting like he is at all interested in offering to be her dad-- if he was considering that, his first move would be "I had no idea you existed and I want to meet you so we can talk about what's best for you." It's not unreasonable for a wealthy guy to want to pay for her college, or buy her a car or otherwise help her, even if they determine that staying with Stef and Lena is best because of her sibling relationship with Jude. In fact, if he's really a great guy, I'd think he'd want to get to know her, and might even offer to adopt both her and Jude if they were still in the foster system and Jude had not already been adopted. He should have a lot of questions. I didn't mind the DNA test, which would seem to me to indicate that he was in shock but also considering offering to be in her life. The move to have her renounce her claim on his estate does not mean he can't still give some to her anyway. I just think there's a lot of layers to this situation, and while it's natural for Callie, Lena, and Stef to be defensive after all they've been through, and for Robert to be unsettled and confused and nervous about the can of worms it opens, nothing has really happened that indicates actual villainy at this point. More like defensive chaos, which seems reasonable for all parties under the circumstances.

• Love 2

What with the reveal that he didn't know Callie's mom was pregnant, and the note from his other daughter, and his general demeanor, he's not really being portrayed as some shifty ne'er-do-well.

Weeelllll, but: going to where she works multiple times and then handing her a letter from half-sister is not exactly on the up and up.  I mean, if he's gone to the trouble of hiring a lawyer (even if it's true that his "family made him"), then surely he had someone available to him to be like, "Even if she IS your biological daughter, you don't KNOW her, and another adult who is actually in her life and responsible for her (Stef? Lena? Callie's caseworker? Her parole officer? Rosie O'Donnell?) might tend to raise their eyebrows about the behavior he's exhibiting.  Not because going to a restaurant multiple times and chit chatting with the waitstaff is inherently creepy, but because going to a restaurant multiple times to chit chat with the teenage girl you know to be your daughter and leaving large tips to curry favor when she apparently has no idea what's going on and then giving her a letter from a sister she didn't know she has IS creepy.  For starters, it's emotionally manipulative to BOTH girls.

I'm not familiar with the actor playing Mr. Quinn, but it seems like a lot of what I'm reading (not just here) about his character is giving the character's actions a pass because the actor doesn't seem like a bad guy, which just strikes me as really weird.

• Love 1
but it seems like a lot of what I'm reading (not just here) about his character is giving the character's actions a pass

I'm not giving his actions a pass. I just don't think the show is framing his behavior in a way to make him look like a horrible person. 

I just feel like Stef and Lena have been more combative than they had to be, especially when they filed those abandonment papers against him when all they had to do, apparently, was Google him and call him up to talk face to face.

Well, technically the judge ordered they locate Quinn and serve him with abandonment papers. I don't know if Googling him and having a chat first would have been better. At least this way he got to wrap his mind around the situation without Stef, Lena, and Callie staring him down and constantly calling about signing abandonment papers.

I agree Connor didn't used to be a homophobe. The blue nails was the biggest sign, but also, just in general, he's been pretty openly cool with Jude in general. I also thought the attraction was mutual-- his nervousness at batting with Jude there seemed to be the flusteredness of being watched by a crush, because his dad seemed to find it out of character.

Now that we've met his dad and have some idea of what may be going on at home, I'm thinking Connor probably painted his nails after he left his house and then took it off before he got home. I don't think he's a homophobe, he probably knows he has to keep his head down and obey his parents.

At least with Callie, Brandon, Mariana, and Jesus, they're just teenagers, Stef/Lena are grown ass woman and they need to get off their high horses. I really can not stand these people!

Thank you! Yes, Stef and Lena act like they're so beyond, so wise, so right. Drives me nuts.

I really don't want Brandon and Callie to be romantic endgame. I was enjoying that they seemed less chemically charged this episode. She went into his room to talk to him and there was no time where I felt like UST was on the table. It's the first time in a long time that I've felt that wasn't there, and Wyatt being "out of town" and unavailable as a distraction made the absence of temptation even better. I really hope a resurrection of that story is not why they are creating the new biodad drama.

I thought that scene really showed how well they work as siblings rather than romantic partners. I'm sure this birth father thing is going to reignite Brandon/Callie but I hope the only moment they have is subtly acknowledging (like they did with the "when I turn 18, I can do whatever I want" comment) that Callie going through with the abandonment papers/adoption papers means they're 100% off the table and that they're both happy about it. Because if and when she's officially adopted, that entire thing needs to be done.

(edited)
Well, technically the judge ordered they locate Quinn and serve him with abandonment papers. I don't know if Googling him and having a chat first would have been better. At least this way he got to wrap his mind around the situation without Stef, Lena, and Callie staring him down and constantly calling about signing abandonment papers.

That is true, I was just thinking that they could have been more willing to offer an olive branch. They really didn't know what had gone on between he and Callie's mother, and as the judge pointed out he never signed her birth certificate so there was a chance he didn't even know Callie existed, so why not see if the guy might actually be pretty decent and work with him for Callie's ultimate benefit.

Though you're probably right that they would have just badgered him about signing and doing what was "best" for Callie, as if they're the two old ladies living in a shoe.

I'm not familiar with the actor playing Mr. Quinn, but it seems like a lot of what I'm reading (not just here) about his character is giving the character's actions a pass because the actor doesn't seem like a bad guy, which just strikes me as really weird

I do like Kerr, he was the Jude on Dawson Creek, but I am not giving Robert a pass just because I like him, I just don't view Robert's behavior as being creepy period, perhaps a bit misguided but then again how is one supposed to act when they find out they have a teenager they never knew about? He;'s being served legal papers, his family's lawyers have gotten involved, a lot has happened in a very short amount of time.

I saw the tip giving and the letter as his way of trying to find a way in, trying to get her to give him a fair shake, a chance to prove himself before making up her mind that he's a mere sperm donor who abandoned her, and to me that seems like a normal reaction. She felt terrible, surprising herself even, when she thought he didn't show up for the DNA testing because he didn't want to see her, but I see it as being the other way around.

He fears her reaction to him, to wanting to get to know him, being around him, being apart of his family when she seems so settled with the Fosters. He seems to be wanting to find a balance between keeping his distance and yet letting her know how he feels, he's flying blind and his actions show it so that is why I don't see him as being creepy or manipulative, he could be doing a whole lot more if that were the case, imo.

Edited by CPP83

I think there is a lot of territory between "great guy" and "horrible ne'er do well" and that so far that's where Robert is falling. Over time, it may be that he settles more firmly at one extreme or the other, but so far, I think he's a little shady but not at the extremes where you'd get a restraining order or feel Callie dodged a bullet by not having him raise her all along-- not yet, anyway. Also, I think it's funny that she may end up with two moms (actually 3, if you count her deceased original mom) and two dads, in a way, with Donald and Robert both as background characters in an open adoption scenario. Five parents! Every teenager's nightmare? Or an at-long-last jackpot?

I think the idea that changing the sleepover rules follows coming out is interesting, and it genuinely had not occurred to me. I was out and my mother allowed me to have girls sleep over. And yes I lost my virginity at home, at 15, though it's true my mother didn't know the specific girl was "more than just a friend" at the time (she didn't ask and I didn't tell). And it wasn't traumatizing, either. So I guess I'm more permissive on this than most people. How old are Jesus and Emma-- and the girl Jesus had sex with last season? Younger than Brandon. Brandon is 16 and has already had sex, seemingly quite a while ago. So it just seems normal to me.

With Jude and Connor (who are younger than the other kids, true enough), we didn't see Connor's response to Jude's question about whether Connor would stop wanting to sleep over if Jude were gay, we only saw Jude say he didn't want to be anyone's secret. To me, that does imply that Connor might have said he'd be okay with it if no one knew, or something like that. It wasn't "I'd have no problem with it" for sure. So to me that implies some level of homophobia or at least fear of other people's opinions, rather than just a rule against having sex too young. But it doesn't necessarily imply that Connor flatly denied an attraction of his own. But unless he thinks Jude is a rapist, or his own attraction to Jude is so strong he'd want to have sex with him right now at a sleepover (in which case I'd think we'd have seen some making out already, one way or another), really there's no danger here, even if Jude is gay and you think they're too young. I imagine we'll find out exactly what Connor said, when Jude eventually tells someone in the family why they aren't having sleepovers anymore. Not telling us yet does force viewers to examine our own rules about things like this, which I think is pretty interesting. So good on them for pacing it this way.

I said earlier that the Lena/Brandon relationship is the least developed/most neglected and it shouldn't be based on what we know about them. That particular scene just proves my point. It was so jarring. Why do Lena and Brandon practically feel like strangers when she has supposedly raised him for 10 years and has been his teacher and/or assistant principal for just as long? If anything she probably has had more access to him over the years than Mike and Stef have. The writers have really dropped the ball on this relationship the most. 

It literally angers me what they've done with the Lena/Brandon relationship. I was begging for a hug. It's become so blatant that I think it must be on purpose, but I can't figure out where they're going with it.

I think there is a lot of territory between "great guy" and "horrible ne'er do well" and that so far that's where Robert is falling.

I agree. Although Lena/Stef seem to have a hard time understanding that there is a lot of territory between 'great guy' and 'horrible person' so I don't have much faith.

Also, I think it's funny that she may end up with two moms (actually 3, if you count her deceased original mom) and two dads, in a way, with Donald and Robert both as background characters in an open adoption scenario. Five parents! Every teenager's nightmare? Or an at-long-last jackpot?

Make that 4 moms if you count Robert's wife as her step mom

• Love 1
I agree. Although Lena/Stef seem to have a hard time understanding that there is a lot of territory between 'great guy' and 'horrible person'

Those two often give me this feeling that they think it's "us against the world", they so often act as if their lives are being threatened. They want everyone to come to them and include them when making any serious decisions, or any decisions for that matter, and those beware who would dare do so without their input and approval and yet they turn around and do as they please whenever they wish, even to one another.

Personally I think they both have fairly terrible, and somewhat childish, communicative skills. Lena will often shut down and stop talking to people when she's upset, or just walk away, Stef will basically have a hissy fit and stalk off, and then they never seem to deal with the issues, they just cool off, make-out a little bit and then pretend like nothing happened until the next blowup. It's no wonder Brandon and the twins behave as they do, they truly are their mothers;' children. .

• Love 1

My thoughts on Jude and Connor are that Connor doesn't care if Jude is gay, it's that he wants to please his dad so he will go along with what he wants. Based on how Connor's dad was directing and coaching him at the batting cages and his reaction ("I'm supposed to be good at this"), he plays baseball and will no longer sleep over at the Fosters' because he wants to please his dad. I don't think he likes the decision.

I already like Brandon ten times more right now that his focus is on his hand and not Callie. Lets not ruin his progression for more Braillie melodrama. 

This! A thousand times this!

Also not into the Dani/Mike/bloody hands storyline because I am waiting for Stef to uncover the ticking time bomb that is Dani/Brandon.

I can't even imagine the amount of fecal matter that will hit the fan when that comes out! 

• Love 4
(edited)

Brand new to the forum!  First time posting:

I had a lot of questions at the end of this episode.  Honestly, it seems like the writers are starting to have trouble keeping up with all their hyper-dramatic plots. There are a lot of little details that are contradicting one another, and things aren't adding up into cohesive storylines.

First, Robert Quinn:  If his signature was on Callie's birth certificate, then he knew she existed.  Legally, wouldn't he have needed to sign an affidavit of parentage before his name appeared on the certificate?  Even if he wasn't there at the actual birth, and Callie's mom just gave his name, it seems so strange that he was never contacted in 16 years.  (though this is the same show that allowed its two most "responsible" characters to inseminate without the donor's consent, so I'm not sure the writers are concerned with the sensibility of their stories) Based on what we've seen of Robert so far, though, I think he was being honest in telling Callie he never knew about her.  I know they've cast Callie's step-mom for at least three episodes, so I'm assuming eventually this season Callie begins spending time at the Quinn's house, befriends half-sister Sophie, and bonds with Robert (the step-mom will probably be some sort of antagonistic figure).  Then either Robert decides he loves Callie and wants to be her father, or (and I think this option is less likely since it goes against the show's wonderful and non-conventional definition of family) Callie considers the possibility of letting Robert adopt her instead of Stef and Lena.  Whatever happens, I am extremely convinced that the adoption papers will not, in fact, be signed as soon as Robert "hears from his lawyer."  The writers should pay viewers every time they promise good fortune for Callie, until something suddenly/overly complicated/dramatic happens that acts as a roadblock for her.  The girl is just slingin' burgers trying to get by.  Give her a break!  It wouldn't surprise me if Callie never actually becomes an official member of the Fosters, because I am even more convinced that Brandon/Callie is the writer's romantic endgame of choice.

Brandon:  So this cool, edgy new band girl (whose name I read was Lou, I think) is Brandon's love interest for the season it seems.  I predict they'll spend the next three episodes bickering, but then Brandon wins Lou over and she opens up to him, and they make-out and write music together.  I hope this allows Brandon some room to develop further as a character, but I'm not sold on Lou yet, and I'm worried the writers will decide Callie needs to be jealous of the new girlfriend and use the story as a way to reignite Brandon/Callie.  I'm not even opposed to the Brandon/Callie pairing (I realized early on in the pilot that it was probably the big endgame relationship, and just accepted it), but the writers just wrote it so wrong the first time around.   If Brallie is their goal and that is ultimately the reason for the Robert Quinn plot, then they need to take their time, and make it its own story, not just a convenient way for Callie to not be adopted by Stef and Lena.  After all, a 16 year old girl meeting her father for the first time is much more significant than the drama with Brandon, and it needs to be treated as such.

Jesus:  While I care about Jesus substantially less than I do the other Fosters, I think the inherent immaturity in the character is interesting, and I wish the writers would expand on it and really allow Jesus a chance for personal growth.  After the Mariana drug selling plot ended, his stories have essentially revolved solely around girls.  Even joining the wrestling team became about Emma (whose behavior in this episode seemed completely out of left field).  I know Emma is portrayed as an "independent woman," and I think that's an important thing to convey in a show for young people, but the severe bossiness was so heavy handed.  I was even wondering if the writers have been hearing negative feedback about Emma from fans, and decided to just write her off as soon as possible.  While I think she'll be back next week at least, it wouldn't surprise me if this episode marked the beginning of the end for her.  And I was kind of taken aback that a high school freshman/sophomore, even one that is such an independent woman, would be that confident and know exactly what she liked romantically/physically.  I could've saved myself a lot of money on Ben&Jerry's had I been that girl at 15/16.  Honestly, I didn't even think Emma's bossiness was going to be the ultimate conflict.  I thought her forwardness in the car was a hint that she wasn't a virgin, and Jesus was going to take issue with that.  I'm not really sure which I like better: bossiness or virginity.  Emma had a lot of potential as a character, but they should've spent more time developing her as an individual, and then her friendship with Jesus. Then people actually would've maybe cared more when they began dating.  I don't know why everything has to move so quickly.

The Adults:  Honestly, the adults are the biggest mess on the show right now, I think.  I seem to be forgetting a scene or missing information about the pregnancy. Last I remember, Lena told Stef the news, but no one had informed Timothy.  Does he still not know and was just uncomfortable around Lena because he denied the use of his sperm?  And Lena had no right to be hostile.  As everyone's said, this pregnancy story is the most sloppily handled plot I've seen in awhile on any show.  It just never would have happened.  It completely goes against everything else they've established about Stef and Lena as characters.  I had no idea what all the bickering between them was about in tonight's episode, either.  It was just a recycled fight from last season.  But based on the trailer for next week, it seems like they may be gearing up for a Stef-and-Lena-have-marital-problems story, and that will make me gag.  I'll just vomit everywhere.  Their relationship is one of the best parts of the show, unlike that of Mike and Dani, which is arguably the worst part.  I never liked Dani, but it blows my mind that a writing team thought it wise to take a character in the direction that they took her.  The second Dani got into bed with Brandon, they created an enormous and difficult storyline, and I'm afraid they've got too much else going on to see it through with the dexterity and thought necessary.  Mike has become wholly irrelevant at this point.  I would be shocked if he actually did anything to Ana because there'd be no gaining fan support for him after that, so basically the writers are just wasting everyone's time while Mike stands around having no idea the woman he "loves" slept with his underage son.

Jude:  Lastly, and I know everyone's said this too:  but if Connor's father has homophobic views, he's had them for awhile, and I find it hard to believe that he would've allowed Connor to spend so much time at the Fosters'.  The nail painting is unexplainable to me; I doubt the writers will even address it.  This plotline made me sad, not only because of the content, but also because I would have loved to see Jude slowly exploring his own sexuality throughout more of the series, and then coming to conclusions and revelations on his own, not through a homophobic idiot attacking him.  Jude is a beacon of light on this show (it sounds dramatic, but when on The Fosters forum, do as The Fosters do), and I hope this does not turn into another melodrama, and instead is an opportunity for the show to say something truly powerful.

Edited by Toothless.Bandit
  • Love 1
First, Robert Quinn:  If his signature was on Callie's birth certificate, then he knew she existed.

I thought they said last week that his name was on the birth certificate, but not his signature.  That was why the judge said they needed to find him before he'd okay the adoption.

In last season's finale, it sounded like Callie's mom tried to change the birth certificate, and that was why the copy of it had a different name.

Toothless. Bandit it's certainly possible that Jude's dad have no issues with Steph and Lena being gay (as women) but have issues with his SON spending the night at the home of a boy who is gay. There is a double standard regarding lesbians versus gay men and there are people who are "fine" with gay people but would flip out if they thought their child could possibly maybe have a same sex attraction.
  • Love 3

There is a double standard regarding lesbians versus gay men and there are people who are "fine" with gay people but would flip out if they thought their child could possibly maybe have a same sex attraction.

This is the impression I got, too. I don't think Connor's dad cares whatsoever if Connor hangs out with a kid with gay parents. I'm not sure he even cares that much whether Jude is gay. But we saw at the batting cages that he has a very specific idea of who and what his son should be, and that he freaks out and becomes very controlling when his son doesn't meet his expectations. I think he's homophobic in the sense that the thought that his son may "turn out" gay is horrifying to him and he wants Connor away from Jude because he's afraid Jude will turn his son gay.

(edited)

Robert heard Callie refer to "my moms" and seemed to indicate that he had no issue with it. Pure speculation but I wonder whether Robert's wife will object to his child being adopted by two women and will push him to fight for custody? I can't see Callie willingly leaving the Fosters because of Jude.

Since we already have the evil birth parent in Ana, I don't think they will repeat the same storyline again. Perhaps the idea is to show another side of the foster care/adoption system with Callie adopted by the Fosters and with her having some relationship with her bio dad and especially with the sister?

Edited by LisaM
(edited)

What is with people who think people can be "turned gay" so easily? If sexual orientation was contagious, wouldn't heterosexuality be the thing people "caught" since there are more "carriers" to spread it? Why would some kid from school have more influence than the rest of the whole world, including the heterosexual parents of the supposedly impressionable person in question?

Jude and Connor were my happy refuge. I understand the show wants to deal with prejudice and its consequences, but I was really enjoying having Jude and Connor be this one story that was all good. We do need stories like that, not only places to get angry and sad. And I think showing a purely healthy relationship can do as much good in the world as exposing the rotten stuff. We need to be able to imagine things going well as much as we need to survive it when they don't. And now they've gone and cynical-ed it up.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3
(edited)

First, Robert Quinn:  If his signature was on Callie's birth certificate, then he knew she existed.  Legally, wouldn't he have needed to sign an affidavit of parentage before his name appeared on the certificate?

Not from California and not firm in California's family law, but from what I gathered in 5 minutes online your're right, at least since 1997 it takes acknowledgement of both parents if they are unmarried, to even write the name of the father on the birth certificate. They didn't say he signed it though, just that his name was on the certificate. Maybe they didn't pay attention to detail.

I am not sure how it will develop, if he is a nice guy but a bit messed up, why he left her mother though he says he loved her (maybe family thing, wealthy family didn't like working family girl, not approved relationship?).

Callie's first reaction was, well, very Callie, burst out first, ask + think later. She can be a bit impulsive at times. I can understand though  that she reacted that way, given what she knew.

Don't think that her half-sister's reaction is so strange, she's an only child, and plenty of only children wish for siblings. Why shouldn't she be exited to have a sister, she is old enough to understand that a man sometimes doesn't even know he has more children. They seem to be a wealthy family and it is to be expected they have some lawyers keeping an eye on things, making as sure as they ever can that they have the upper hand in legal matters. Paternity test might have different reasons, to exclude fraud but could be as well his assurance that Callie is his daughter whatever his big family might wish for.

I don't mind if it's not simple good guy or bad guy and more a complex matter causing complex mix of feelings. Yes more drama for Callie, but I want it to play out longer and not be some few-episodes and done thing, because then it would be just angst-story to drag out the adoption process. There should be more to it.

(though this is the same show that allowed its two most "responsible" characters to inseminate without the donor's consent, so I'm not sure the writers are concerned with the sensibility of their stories)

Timothy didn't sign the donor contract but does that legally equal with withdrawing his consent after he had given them his sperm? As dumb as what Lena and Stef did is, as dumb is what Timothy did, he gave his sperm before signing the contract. Could be interesting for a lawyer, after all if Timothy had slept with Lena he couldn't ask his sperm back either. We have 3 idiot adults here.

The pregnancy story is a mess, though not sure if intentional mess or just story telling mess, but different from many here I am not annoyed by it. They were immensely lucky that they had a hit the first time they tried (not highly likely but not impossible), very convenient, and maybe what I find the least plausible.  Find it more plausible that Timothy first was enthusiastic about it but then had second thoughts and at the wrong time. Not sure if it was necessary to let him back down and not sign the contract, he still could have had doubts and struggle with what it meant afterwards, causing enough emotional stress. But I have friends who I am very sure could be as dumb and impulsive as Lena and Stef were about it all, straight and queer. Guess I know strange people.

I know Emma is portrayed as an "independent woman," and I think that's an important thing to convey in a show for young people, but the severe bossiness was so heavy handed.  I was even wondering if the writers have been hearing negative feedback about Emma from fans, and decided to just write her off as soon as possible.  While I think she'll be back next week at least, it wouldn't surprise me if this episode marked the beginning of the end for her.  And I was kind of taken aback that a high school freshman/sophomore, even one that is such an independent woman, would be that confident and know exactly what she liked romantically/physically.  I could've saved myself a lot of money on Ben&Jerry's had I been that girl at 15/16.  Honestly, I didn't even think Emma's bossiness was going to be the ultimate conflict.  I thought her forwardness in the car was a hint that she wasn't a virgin, and Jesus was going to take issue with that.  I'm not really sure which I like better: bossiness or virginity.

Was Emma really sure about what she was doing? I perceived that scene in the car quite differently, that was not a young woman acting like she had any good idea what she was doing. So my guess is actually Emma is a virgin, and particular because of that stressed so much out about making it the perfect moment, while at the same time she was pushing for it as if it's some kind of race to win Well, losing your virginity is a token for reaching womanhood, so there is some pressure on teenage girls to be cool and do it early. But as well Emma was way too proud to let Jesus know it would be her first time, she keeps an image of cool buddy girl up, tough, knowing what she does, always on top of things and in control. But even if it was not her very first time doubt she has much experience. Emma probably read somewhere, that telling him what she likes to do is the key to make it good for both of them, not the worst advice, but still takes to know what you want and like and figure out a way to express it without killing the moment. 

The truth is Emma is insecure, feeling not all sure about herself, her tomboy attitude, but not wanting to bow on the other hand to common societal expectations (refreshing and rightly so), obviously wishing she could as well be sometimes girly but still be accepted to do men's stuff. A lot of people mistake aggressive toughness with aplomb, confidence. Emma is about as confident as Mariana, maybe even less. That is why Emma's seemingly independence and taking lead behavior comes across as off and pushy.

It's not like Jesus now has that much experience either though. And remember how pushy Lexi was about doing it with Jesus again, before she left and when she was back for some days. Different from Emma though Lexi had some healthy self-confidence. It seems like there is a pattern evolving for Jesus.

The Adults:  Honestly, the adults are the biggest mess on the show right now, I think.

They are. The adults are not perfect, even quite messy and frequently overwhelmed, do stupid stuff, fail to always communicate decently, and nevertheless somehow manage things. Sounds like pretty much most people I know including myself, and we mostly have decent jobs, and some even have kids with typical teenager problems. And in the most unlikely moments, when totally inconvenient relationship problems can come up, thinking of, they seem to always surface when they are most unwelcome and things are in turmoil anyway. ;)

But I agree, it is often a bit too much drama in one episode, too much maybe for a season. It's an annoying thing about current scripted TV shows, it's not just The Fosters IMO, to rush and do it like some wild jumping around MTV music video clip, makes my head ache. No time for taking time, letting a story space to breath, let some little daily moments in , no time for lingering shots, no time for letting feelings evolve. Reminds me always of the people who can't stand a silence for longer than 5 seconds, they just have to burp out something and talk!talk!talk!. It's action, drama rush, cut crazy and dialogue whirlgig. Interesting that more people seem to find it more exhausting by now.

This episode though even offered some needed space to let the characters, the stories breath. More of that.

Welcome to the forum, Toothless.Bandit.

Edited by katusch

It literally angers me what they've done with the Lena/Brandon relationship. I was begging for a hug. It's become so blatant that I think it must be on purpose, but I can't figure out where they're going with it.

I wonder if they're not going to have Lena be the first adult to be let in on the Brandon/Dani mess, thinking that she will be the one least likely to completely overreact.  Not that I'm defending Dani or her actions; I'm just saying that this is a group of kids that witnessed Stef and Mike go into Ana's house, guns drawn, when she thought Jesus might be there.  They also went into Bad Foster Dad's House with guns drawn to rescue Jude/Callie/Brandon (although given that BFD already had his gun out, that makes a little more sense).  On the other side, Lena wanted to take some time to think about the Lexi/Jesus/Plan B situation.  She didn't have a knee-jerk "no" reaction to Brandon's hand surgery.  She's the one that's had the sensitive chats with Jude over nail polish removal and jealousy/feelings for same sex friends.

Those same kids, knowing all of that, might reasonably say, "Hey, let's talk to Lena about this, since she doesn't have ready access to firearms and is also somewhat more likely to think through the best next step".  It also wouldn't surprise me if that wasn't the cause of Stef/Lena's marital problems, although I think they started to set that storyline up last season when their other friends divorced and their son wrote a poem about it for the poetry slam.

• Love 1

Re Jude -- Since this Show likes to take on large issues , I've been wondering since the get go (painted nails scene) if they're going to have Jude question/explore his gender identity. Whether or not Jude may be gay would be small potatoes compared to the other .

Lastly, and I know everyone's said this too:  but if Connor's father has homophobic views, he's had them for awhile, and I find it hard to believe that he would've allowed Connor to spend so much time at the Fosters'.  The nail painting is unexplainable to me; I doubt the writers will even address it.

I can choose to believe that Connor's father has been away for an extended period of time due to work and so he didn't know about the blue nail polish. 

So my guess is actually Emma is a virgin, and particular because of that stressed so much out about making it the perfect moment, while at the same time she was pushing for it as if it's some kind of race to win

Jesus suggested that they go to the beach and do a romantical thing and she replied with asking him if he's ever had sex on a beach and then informing him it is super messy and sand gets everywhere, implying that she may have more experience than he does. I think it is more Jesus may be judging her in his mind for having more experience than he does. While he shouldn't feel this way, I'm sure this is a common reaction for teenage boys when dating girls who have more experience. 

• Love 1

Stef really has a problem with flip flopping back and forth about Brandon and his parenting. They've been together, co-parenting, for over a decade now, how the hell isn't this more worked out? It doesn't make sense to me, and it's needless drama, and it makes Stef look like a two faced spouse, imo.

I don't know what or why it is but apparently biological connections on this show is akin to being filled with the devil's own sputum, heh, it drives everyone bonkers when they're dealing with the subject.

She can't have it both ways, there should never be any discussion about "their" son that doesn't involve all three of his parents, she kept Mike in his life and brought Lena in, all three of them love the boy so there should be no miscommunication right now, they've had way too much time to get their shit together as far as I'm concerned.

I think they did "sort it out" so to speak. Mike was a mess for a long time, Lena was the "step mom" early on and probably wouldn't have felt comfortable challenging her, so Stef has been the primary decision maker with regards to Brandon for a long time. 

Add in that Brandon was, apparently, pretty low drama up until the start of the series, and they've never really had to sort much out until now.

So I think she only includes Mike now because he got himself cleaned up and raised an issue about it and she just assumes that Lena will agree with her.