Type keyword(s) to search

S44.E21: Paul Rudd / DJ Khaled

• Start Topic

30 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I know people rave about Kate..but she's adequate...she's no kristen Wigg.  And in the View sketch apparently isn't Fred Armison either.

Just because you have enough female cast members doesnt mean they should only impersonate females.  Kate is all wrong to play Joy Behar..even Joy Behar said Armison was funnier.  

Early in her time as a cast member Kate impersonated the Long Island Medium and I thought she was hilarious - the whole sketch made me laugh but she carried it with real zest. I feel like she just isn't in to these sketches - that and there isn't much to say about Joy Behar these days. Given that The View is one of those shows that is simultaneously relevant and irrelevant all at the same time (like SNL), and it's a quick way to get a headline, I guess I could see why they wanted to revive it, but the material doesn't work. I do enjoy their making fun of Meghan McCain, and making fun of her in a way where she can't play the victim, but these things are sloppy and sluggish in ways even many of the mediocre/weak sketches aren't. Unless they work hard on improvement (and is that really worth the effort?) I hope this was the last one.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I know people rave about Kate..but she's adequate...she's no kristen Wigg.  And in the View sketch apparently isn't Fred Armison either.

Thank God McKinnon is no Kristen Wiig.  She's infinitely better.  I'd rather watch 1000 alien abduction sketches over 1 woman with tiny hands sketch.  Or the woman who chewed on her hair.  Or the woman who always had it worse than other people.

Loved Leslie Jones' rant on WU.  And I hate those blind jokes that Jost and Che do.

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

By a parent, or by somebody who actually worked at the theatre?  I'm so curious where this idea originates from.  That's definitely not what we asked customers to do.

By parents, but it was also what everyone did. Take into account that this was about 45 years ago at a dumpy local theater, long before the big multiplexes.

(edited)
On 5/19/2019 at 1:50 PM, ahisma said:

Considering what Kyle and Leslie were getting up to, I assumed he was talking about the old X-rated movie theaters, where the, er, floor stickiness would literally be the same. “Old” theater because everyone just does it at home with the internet now.

It could be but I don't know why this line is so confusing. Old movie theaters are often sticky because of soda being spilled on the floor. More lived in theaters that don't have the same upkeep of the big brands might have sticky floors. I didn't think twice about the line.

On 5/19/2019 at 1:59 PM, meep.meep said:

Thank God McKinnon is no Kristen Wiig.  She's infinitely better.  I'd rather watch 1000 alien abduction sketches over 1 woman with tiny hands sketch.  Or the woman who chewed on her hair.  Or the woman who always had it worse than other people.

Loved Leslie Jones' rant on WU.  And I hate those blind jokes that Jost and Che do.

Wigg and Mckinnon are no different to me. Both highly talented entertainers that are often one note and leaned in too much by the SNL writers team.

I don't get offended or outraged by jokes so the MLK joke just cracked me up. It's about the absurdity of the line and the set up. Of course it's a crass joke. I'm just not a outraged guy. And I'm black so it should hit hard. I know it was outlandish on purpose.

They went back to the well way too soon with view. That segment sunk like stone. My God. And the timing was all over the place as well.

I'm tired of some people (not aimed at anyone here) giving this show a pass or excuse with stuff like they must be tired it ready for vacation. Fuck out of here with that. These are professionals. They should be bringing their a game all the time. People would do anything to be in their position. This episode was just generally lazy and tired. 

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Pete Martell said:

I feel like she just isn't in to these sketches - that and there isn't much to say about Joy Behar these days.

I can kinda tell Kate is searching for a way not to do "Fred Armisen doing Joy Behar" and hasn't found a way to distinguish her version, so it just comes across as a bland takeoff of Fred's impression. 

• Love 3

The View sketch was revived because last week Meghan McCain was on Seth Meyers show. Seth asked her about her criticism of Ilhan Omar, and Meghan got flustered and snippy.  After the show, Meghan's husband tweeted (and then deleted) some offensive stuff about Seth, and included speculation of sexual relationship between Seth and Lorne Michaels.  

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

John Legend was great!

I wonder if I should watch that second performance. I let the first one play while I was on my computer, but I muted the second one. 

5 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

This is backed up by the fact that DJ Khaled was the 3rd best rapper in the GoT/Gracie & Frankie video.

I don't know much (if anything) about him, and I thought he being terrible on purpose for that sketch. No? And seriously, does he do raps himself? Is he just a ringmaster? 

13 hours ago, vb68 said:

I thought it was rather curious that  the fancy party sketch started with Kyle getting a lecture about drinking, and then in the sketch with Leslie, he says he drinks everyday.  Coincidence? 

Interesting. I didn't notice that. I can see Kyle wanting to have that mini-running joke in the show.

9 hours ago, possibilities said:

That line is when I realized it was Pence, not Putin, in that sketch.

When Kate came in I thought it was Guiliani, but I guess it was Wilbur Ross.

I didn't really care for the Cold Open, not even Eric singing The Muppet Show theme. Also, I couldn't always understand what they were singing.

Paul's monologue was good. He's just always good.

I like the alien/time travelling sketches. Is Kate always called Miss Rafferty? If so, I'll just call these the Miss Rafferty sketches. Anyway, I love how she delivers the lines, even though sometimes they're too vulgar for me.

I had Grace & Frankie recommended to me before, but I've never gotten around to watching it. Too much TV.

What's Wrong With This Picture was a lot of silly fun. Actually, I noticed two things wrong with the first picture. Not only was one of the ropes missing from the swing, but the boy was floating above the ground. I think I liked Paul Rudd's character the best.

Kenan: Something is missing in the picture.
Paul: Love.  

Paul: Her twin's in that fishtank and she can't get out.
Kenan: That's not a fishtank. That's a mirror.
Paul: Then where are all the fish? 

Cecily does an excellent Jeanine Pirro. Her voice is perfect. Very funny bit.

The antique store/Fancy Party sketch was ok, though they've done this type of song sketch twice before. I liked the little insults that Kyle kept directing toward his daughter. I also liked the Twilight Zone turn.

Boy, The View sketch just did not work this time. I think one problem was that the pacing was too slow. I was surprised to see Pete Buttigieg, and even more surprised when his husband came out there too. But there just wasn't much to the sketch. I did like Paul's line, "I'm ready to work. See my exposed forearms?" 

The Kyle and Leslie (and Paul) sketch was good. 

I also liked the girls sleepover/demon sketch but was surprised the audience was so silent. Paul's dorky dad character was good, and the whole concept was unique (except for reading about it last week). But again, the pacing was off.

Who the heck thinks 'Saw' needs rebooting?

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't really care for the Cold Open, not even Eric singing The Muppet Show theme. Also, I couldn't always understand what they were singing.

The audio mix was terrible during the cold open -- you could barely hear the singing because the music was so loud.  SNL is notorious for doing this during the musical segments as well.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, JZL said:
movie theater GIF by James Curran

Does it say anything about its blandness that we're talking more about sticky theater floors than the episode itself?

I mostly take it as people being passionate about theater floors.

4 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I'm tired of some people (not aimed at anyone here) giving this show a pass or excuse with stuff like they must be tired it ready for vacation. Fuck out of here with that. These are professionals. They she be bringing their a game all the time. People would do anything to be in their position. This episode was just generally lazy and tired. 

I agree with you, but even in much better seasons, the final episodes of the season have tended to be a bit raggedy. In this case I didn't notice a huge difference in quality because the season has mostly been along these lines - safe, a bit unfinished, sometimes good, sometimes not good, the cast doing their best.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I mostly take it as people being passionate about theater floors.

I agree with you, but even in much better seasons, the final episodes of the season have tended to be a bit raggedy. In this case I didn't notice a huge difference in quality because the season has mostly been along these lines - safe, a bit unfinished, sometimes good, sometimes not good, the cast doing their best.

I agree with your assessment of this season but people use the their tired excuse all season. They are ready for Christmas, they've done many episodes in a row, etc. It's weak to me. This season has been lazy and uninspired generally speaking.

• Love 2

Actual comment from my sister at the start of Pete's rap:  "I have less respect for him than I thought possible."  

Actual comment from my sister once he starts about Grace and Frankie "I have new found respect for Pete Davidson."  (It's also the one Netflix show she managed to binge watch.) 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I went through the same cycle. I even briefly wondered if they had brought back Jeff Sessions for some reason. Clearly they need to distinguish the impersonations more effectively from one another.

• Love 5
(edited)

The more I think about it, I really don't understand why they didn't hold Adam Sandler until the finale. The very emotional end of his show would had been a perfect way to close out the season.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 6

What was up with the left side of De Nero's neck? That looked like a huge fat pocket or something worse.

I don't get this show anymore. No matter how much noise I'm asked to make.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, vb68 said:

The more I think about it, I really don't understand why they didn't hold Adam Sandler until the finale. The very emotional end of his show would had been a perfect way to close out the season.

I figure they would have had to work around his schedule. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, vb68 said:

I think because the show thinks viewers care much more about Marvel than alum like Adam Sandler, and I think they'd be right.

(I personally love Adam and don't care about Marvel, but I don't think that's a mainstream or youth opinion.)

(edited)
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think because the show thinks viewers care much more about Marvel than alum like Adam Sandler, and I think they'd be right.

(I personally love Adam and don't care about Marvel, but I don't think that's a mainstream or youth opinion.)

I think if they brought Paul in just because of his Marvel ties, they would have booked him closer to Endgame's release, and had some cameos (Scarlett should have been a possibility, at least). I think Paul was cast because Avengers is still in theaters, but beyond that, he's a safe pair of hands as host, similar to the old days when Buck Henry would host the finales because they knew they could trust him when they were winding down.

I saw someone on Reddit who, after looking at the full board for the season, said that Sandler's name was written with a different pen than most of the others around it, suggesting the date was set up well in advance.

Edited by Pete Martell
22 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Either way, it's well past time to retire the trope that goes "Trump hates to see the men in his administration portrayed by women; it poisons his mind against them, and maybe will even make his head literally explode!" (I believe it all started when Melissa McCarthy played Spicer and a rumor in the press said that this made Trump crazy.)

I think we have enough evidence now that this doesn't happen.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

OMG, Welcome to the Dollhouse!  I knew the little sister Reggie in Dead Like Me (now available on Prime) was reminding me of someone, but couldn't put my finger on it.

• Love 1
On 5/19/2019 at 4:25 PM, peeayebee said:

Who the heck thinks 'Saw' needs rebooting?

Right? And the only reason Chris Rock is even able to be involved (is he attempting some sort of Jordan Peele-esque genre crossover?) is because the former Saw team is working on a Final goddamn Destination reboot. Leave my garbage early 2000s horror franchises alone!

19 hours ago, WAnglais1 said:

What was up with the left side of De Nero's neck? That looked like a huge fat pocket or something worse.

I noticed this too, and it looked like one of his Mueller jowls was coming loose. Don't think there's anything to worry about with him.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/19/2019 at 1:31 PM, SHD said:

I took “old movie theater” to mean it had years of gunk caked up on the floors, not so much to imply that new movie theaters are clean.

And to someone else’s anecdote...when I was a kid, I was told to leave my garbage on the floor of the theater when I was leaving. Not throw it all over, but set any empty soda cups or popcorn buckets under the seat as we left.

On 5/19/2019 at 2:26 PM, SHD said:
On 5/19/2019 at 1:39 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

By a parent, or by somebody who actually worked at the theatre?  I'm so curious where this idea originates from.  That's definitely not what we asked customers to do.

By parents, but it was also what everyone did. Take into account that this was about 45 years ago at a dumpy local theater, long before the big multiplexes.

In the 60's, at least, good parents told their kids to put all their refuse in their popcorn container and leave it under the seat.  Back then there were people whose job it was to come in and sweepup/clean up between every showing of a film, which I don't see happening today. Perhaps the thought was akin to why we don't clear our own tables at a diner, even if we could bring everything up to the counter-we'd be taking people's jobs away?  I definitely think that movie theaters are thinly manned nowadays, except at the concession booth.  There's not even always someone available to rip the tickets,  And bathrooms aren't restocked or cleaned during the day.  If they run out of soap, it stays that way until the cleaning crew comes in the morning.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
On 5/19/2019 at 12:59 AM, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: And way to ruin my favorite Queen song, gang. 

That was an absolutely horrible choice of song for the cast, since many parts of it are very difficult to sing.  Aidy, who is usually good at singing, was especially awful.  And because of how hard ti was for them to sing, you also couldn't hear the words very clearly.

On 5/19/2019 at 1:18 AM, vb68 said:

All I got out of both songs was there was another one. And another one. And another.

Finally watched the whole episode, and I can't believe no one else brought this up: the musical performances reminded me of this previous SNL sketch come to life:

• Love 1