Type keyword(s) to search

S44.E21: Paul Rudd / DJ Khaled

• Start Topic

On 5/17/2019 at 1:46 AM, Pete Martell said:

There's been fan speculation about whether Cecily is leaving this season. Seeing her do this promo makes me wonder even more.

Heaven knows I like to read between the lines as much as anyone, but I see nothing in that promo that implies even remotely that she's leaving.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, vb68 said:

Heaven knows I like to read between the lines as much as anyone, but I see nothing in that promo that implies even remotely that she's leaving.

It was more that there have been a few times over the years that a departing cast member is in the finale promo (Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader were).

It may just be speculation as no one has announced plans. There's some speculation about Beck and Kyle now because of this from Beck's wife:

I did kind of wonder after that Holes video suddenly came on after they've barely done any videos together this season, but I guess we'll see. 

(edited)

"What's wrong with this Picture" sketch ----- I am DYING laughing at this 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂  And yet I feel like it might be VERY stupid?????? hahahahahaah

Oh my god you guys I AM LOSING MY MIND AT THIS sketch.  

I liked Paul's monologue.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11

That bit where Colin and Michael write jokes for each other is always a riot.

Alien abduction sketch is always an immediate skip for me. 

• Love 10

Cold Open: Aaaand Trump's back for the finale. And way to ruin my favorite Queen song, gang. Well, Cecily, Beck, and Kate were great, though. And I liked Son, and Eric again. Yeah, I'm bummed out. Not the best way to start.

Monologue: Called it, Kissing Family got a shout out. But Paul Rudd delivered goods today, I really liked his Best Man monologue.

Time Travel: The alien abduction sketch is back. As soon as the one couple said they were sent to the future, I knew Miss Rafferty was gonna get stuck with horny cavemen. I know people find this funny, but I've never gotten anything out of these sketches. Paul Rudd has nerves of steel, he seems to be the only person who never broke in these sketches.

Game of Thrones: Okay, loved that Pete and DJ Kaled started rapping about Grace & Frankie.

What's Wrong With This Picture: Everything about this was so delightfully weird. Elliott Pants, the girl has shrimp ears, Toyota Beef (The first car for THICC boys!), butt door?

WU: This week's news: We're all screwed. I wouldn't put it past THIS NASA to launch Hillary Clinton to the moon. It was great to see Cecily Jeannine Pirro again. Seriously, she was just KILLING IT. Poor Colin getting so soaked. And I loved the surprise jokes coming back. And Leslie Jones was great. 

Fancy Party: And odd sketch. Now Fancy Party is stuck in my head. That Twilight Zone twist really came out of nowhere, didn't it?

The View: This came back pretty quickly. The last one was also better. Paul Rudd does make a good Mayor Pete, but nothing really went anywhere.

DJ Kaled was a solid "meh." Why couldn't any of the other people he brought in for a verse (like JOHN LEGEND) each perform instead?

Leslie & Kyle: So is this truly the end of Beck & Kyle? I mean, we're finally seeing resolution with Kyle & Leslie. Paul Rudd coming in was THE BEST. "It's like an old movie theater!" and then he joined in. That was great. Loved Lorne as the winking moon.

Slumber Party: Oh hey, the sketch that was cut from last week. Girls summon a demon through a ouija board and the demon wants to be part of the gang. "Is that Greek? Mazel tov!" Paul Rudd really was the best part of the sketch. Frankly, he carried the sketch, and yeah, not shocked it was cut before.

Paul Rudd continues to be a great host. The material on the other hand...

That's it for the season! See you all in the fall! It's been fun!

• Love 20

This really was a show where the host rose above the material.  Ah well... hope they rest up and refresh over the summer.

Thanks @Galileo908 for another fabulous season of recaps!! Wouldn't be the same without you.

• Love 13
13 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

What's Wrong With This Picture: Everything about this was so delightfully weird. Elliott Pants, the girl has shrimp ears, Toyota Beef (The first car for THICC boys!), butt door?

The Toyota Beef crack had me laughing from the jump and then I just spent the entire sketch really cackling.  I found it so funny.

• Love 6
(edited)

I thought the episode was just ok. It wasn't up to the same caliber with the last couple of eps with Adam Sandler and Emma Thompson.

I did like What's Wrong With This Picture, Update (both Cecily and Leslie were fantastic), and Kyle and Leslie videos are always the best.

I don't know why they keep doing the alien abduction/time travel sketches. It only worked the first time when Ryan Gosling had a complete Debbie Downer-style breaking meltdown. That's not going to work with uber professional Paul Rudd. You practically heard him say inside his head- "that the best ya got?"

Nobody wanted to say they were leaving. I have a feeling nobody is calling it quits.

All I got out of both songs was there was another one. And another one. And another.

I admit I have a fondness for season finale with a big epic finale goodbye sketch from the whole cast. And I'm disappointed when we don't get one.   The whole ep was pretty low key for a season finale. They probably should had held Sandler for the finale.

Paul Rudd was fine. He's one cool cat. And seems like the most amiable dude alive.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 7

I was hoping for a Garrett Morris visit for a little Ant-Man and Ant-Man adventures. I don't know what it would have been, and Garrett probably doesn't travel much these days, but it would have been great.

I thought the musical performances were outstanding background music

• Love 4

I like Grace and Frankie more than GOT, too.

Cecily making Judge Janine funny is a gift to my blood pressure. And Leslie was also good for my morale.

Overall, I thought this episode was okay. I'll miss the show over the summer, though. I think there will be a lot of need for comic relief as things heat up.

• Love 15

My favorite was the Grace & Frankie rap.  I thought that was really cute.  I don’t watch that show, but actually, I think it sounds quite sweet and maybe I should check it out.

Once again, I thought “The View” had one very funny, almost throwaway joke (this time, Paul as Mayor Pete saying he was ready to work because just look at his (rolled-up-shirtsleeves) forearms; last time, “princess of Arizona”) and everything else fell a little short.

I enjoyed Paul’s promo with Beck and Heidi more than most of the sketches tonight, unfortunately.  Paul deserved some better writing on the actual show.

Lastly, I thought that MLK “joke” was really in terrible taste, and I wish they had rethought it.  I know the entire point of the ghostwritten joke bit is that Che makes Jost say racially offensive things, but that really struck a bad note with me.  It just made me question Che’s taste.

• Love 7
(edited)

What did Cecily (Jeannie Pirro) say at the end of the Weekend Update segment that made Colin say “I don’t think we can say that!” ?

I agree @Peace 47 that joke was really distasteful and not funny.  The first time they did that, I thought it was a funny idea but now it’s like they are trying too hard.

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

What did Cecily (Jeannie Pirro) say at the end of the Weekend Update segment that made Colin say “I don’t think we can say that!” ?

I think Jost said “I’m so wet” and then said as he was laughing, “I don’t know if I can say that.”

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, vb68 said:

All I got out of both songs was there was another one. And another one. And another.

That made me laugh. But also, didn’t you hear, you were supposed to make some noise.

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
34 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I don't know why they keep doing the alien abduction/time travel sketches. It only worked the first time when Ryan Gosling had a complete Debbie Downer-style breaking meltdown. That's not going to work with uber professional Paul Rudd. You practically heard him say inside his head- "that the best ya got?"

I think those are more for Kate than viewers, like the Last Call sketches. I know a lot of people do love them, but I think they're such a major showcase for her, they feel like a reward for having to do all the prosthetics and for staying on the show even as her career has heated up.

24 minutes ago, Traveller519 said:

I was hoping for a Garrett Morris visit for a little Ant-Man and Ant-Man adventures. I don't know what it would have been, and Garrett probably doesn't travel much these days, but it would have been great.

I thought the musical performances were outstanding background music

Seeing Garrett would have been a treat. Much better than most of the cameos we tend to get.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Cecily making Judge Janine funny is a gift to my blood pressure. 

Cecily making Jeanine Pirro that... Uh... Visually Appealing... Has been a major monkey wrench in my general psyche

• Love 6
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

I think those are more for Kate than viewers, like the Last Call sketches.

I always find the Last Call sketches pretty funny. This sketch tonight was pretty tedious.

I thought it was rather curious that  the fancy party sketch started with Kyle getting a lecture about drinking, and then in the sketch with Leslie, he says he drinks everyday.  Coincidence? 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

Paul Rudd was giving me major Andy Samberg vibes in this. I can see why this was cut but the breaking did make me laugh, and I enjoy when Beck gets to be weird (and he seemed to be enjoying it too).

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

My favorite was the Grace & Frankie rap.  I thought that was really cute.  I don’t watch that show, but actually, I think it sounds quite sweet and maybe I should check it out.

It's a very good show! 

• Love 8

Finally finished the full episode...

Cold open - I didn't bother watching most of this. Points for using one of my favorite Queen songs, and for a few good lines ("I'll make a Chick-Fil-A man outta you.") Baldwin and De Niro seemed to be heavily minimized, which is a good thing. Good luck to De Niro in his career and life but I don't need to see him on SNL again.

Monologue - Last season's finale monologue had Tina Fey and a billion cameos in what felt like the most passive-aggressive jeering of a very real criticism possible - how dare people want to see the cast. I was willing to accept cameos (not that they need my acceptance...) as long as they didn't have such a sneering undertone, but I was very pleasantly surprised to just see a straight up monologue. Paul had some very funny lines and his delivery made them all the better (with even the prerequisite joke about agelessness thrown in). My favorite joke was when he said he had to be nice to people before he got a Marvel movie. 

Alien interview - This was well-performed and certainly wasn't awful. I can't say it was to my taste. I imagine Kate fans loved it. 

Game show - I would have trimmed this down by a minute, but as long as the cast is game and the dialogue is funny, I get a kick out of these idiot game show sketches. My favorite parts involved the woman in the mirror - Pete saying she got away with blackface, but now she got the job so doesn't know what to do, and Kenan saying, "I hate you!" to Paul. Kenan is perfect in these types of sketches. The best of the night, overall.

Grace and Frankie - Sometimes these rap films can all blend into one, but avoiding the obvious Game of Thrones homage (aside from the brief cameo from Grey Worm - even with just a few lines it was more than he's had for most of his 5-6 seasons on GoT...) for the Grace and Frankie rap was a good spin on the "rap about the mundane" that SNL is so fond of in recent years. DJ Khaled as a self-parody was the most I could enjoy him on the show. Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin having a cameo was a nice touch - Lily was one of the earliest, and best, SNL hosts - I never thought I'd see her on the show again. 

WU - I'd say this was one of the strongest installments they've had in a long while - possibly years. Leslie was the perfect voice to speak out about the abortion bans, as her anger and power communicated more than witty jokes ever could. This has been her best season thanks to the show finally figuring out how to work with her strengths. The swapped jokes were genuinely terrible and genuinely hilarious, and Che and Jost are at their best as a duo in these moments. Last but not least, Cecily's Janine is just perfect. They don't just make fun of the desperate lunatic that she is, they add all the incredible physical comedy that is so rarely done this way on SNL in recent years, and which Cecily and Colin handle like pros. 

The View - There were several ideas in this sketch (mocking vapid talk about a serious issue, mocking Pete Buttigieg and his husband Chasten for pretending to not care about media attention, mocking the ladies of The View for gushing over Pete and then gushing even more vapidly over Joe Biden). I can't say any of them made me laugh, or felt put together. I've never been a fan of these sketches, but the early ones had some amusing impressions and were tightly written (the late '90s sketches). These...are not. I admire that someone - possibly Aidy Bryant - hates Meghan McCain enough to repeatedly bring back this format just to humiliate her on national television (the part where she begged them to be her friends was a real "ouch" moment), but this one really did just completely die by the end. I will also say that if I were Pete and Chasten, I would send SNL a nice thank you note for casting the gorgeous Paul Rudd and Beck Bennett in these roles. That's about the best glow up possible. I have a feeling we won't be seeing a Mayor Pete impression again, so having Paul do it made sense. 

Fancy Party - This was serviceable, not especially terrible or funny. Paul, Cecily and Kyle sold it. The Twilight Zone ending felt like something tacked on as if they didn't have an actual ending, but better to tack on an ending than to not have one at all (see above). Kenan played his host moment to the hilt. This felt like an attempt at something different, which isn't bad. Just...do better next time. 

Kyle & Leslie - I loved the 2016-2017 films. I loved seeing the backstage atmosphere in a way that felt a bit like the old days of the show, with lots of extra absurdity. I knew there wasn't any real reason to bring them back, so I was shocked to see their 'relationship' pop up. I wasn't surprised this one felt sloppy, but I still enjoyed seeing them together again. That ridiculous winking moon Lorne Michaels took the cake. I kept wondering if this was a goodbye piece for Kyle, although the "have a good summer" felt open-ended. 

Ouija - This was cut from the Emma Thompson episode. I can't say I thought it was all that funny, but it was a cute piece and a nice showcase for Melissa. 

Overall, cute to amusing is how I'd probably describe most of the show, outside of the cold open (didn't watch) and The View. I found the episode fine, Last year's finale reinforced every reason why I had little to no respect for the show - this year's finale reminded me why I keep giving the show a chance. I was glad that they did not do the "usual" finale overkill, and that they are continuing a stripped-down approach, especially since they had a host who fit right in. Indeed, the hosts this season have, by and large, all been extremely game, blending in with the cast and doing their best with whatever they've been handed. I think the host selection has been one of the pluses of the show this season and I hope they continue on this path next season. The drawback of a back-to-basics approach and relying more on your cast is that you have to learn how to properly showcase your cast, and that is the big question mark.

Outside of some fire on WU, this has mostly been a safe, homogeneous cast, one where the multi-tiered system (I'd say it's somewhere in the order of Kenan/Kate, Aidy/Pete/Leslie/Mikey, Cecily/Beck, Kyle, Heidi/Alex, Chris, Ego) has produced, for me, consistent, reliable entertainment, but also means it's difficult for anyone to truly shine outside of a few (I could see one or both of Chris and Ego going, through no real fault of their own). I also blame that on the writing, which I think needs a heavy shakeup - punchier sketches, less "look we have a guest star" political snoozing, less pop culture unless it has teeth, and less of people in the sketches reacting to the sketches, for starters. I really do like the cast, I don't think they need or deserve a mass firing, especially since I'd guess at least 4-5-6 cast members will be leaving next season of their own accord if they aren't going this season, but the writing is another matter entirely. 

Anyway, I've enjoyed getting to talk about the show, rather than just bitch, in the last few months, and I've enjoyed posting here. Thanks to everyone who puts up with my paragraph salad.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, vb68 said:

I always find the Last Call sketches pretty funny. This sketch tonight was pretty tedious.

I thought it was rather curious that  the fancy party sketch started with Kyle getting a lecture about drinking, and then in the sketch with Leslie, he says he drinks everyday.  Coincidence? 

Kyle had a line to Leslie about making her the bailiff in the court sketch. They mentioned that same sketch in the last Leslie and Kyle sketch (the one where Beck was jealous). It's nice he keeps his own little continuity. 

(edited)

I’m so annoyed they turned the GoT rap onto Grace and Frankie. They bring out Grey Worm and I’m thinking more GoT cast members will come out as everyday people and I like it. But no. They rap about a show I don’t watch. 

The “What’s Wrong with this Picture” was funny but was missing a coherent reason for being. 

First woman to the moon, Hillary against her will. Heh.

When Colin laughs he looks like Jim Carey. “Thank you Keenan.” Ouch. 

The Boston accent is sexy? Who the hell did they poll? That’s the furthest possible from sexy.

I like that they write jokes for each other. It’s funnier  when it’s not a blatant attempt to be embarrassing and it’s more about how funny the joke is.

Is the actual The View as awkward as this skit?

DJ Khalid Is like a traveling variety show. Does he manage most of those artists? 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 2

I’m old so I don’t  quite get what DJ Khaled’s talent is. Both segments were good and I enjoyed all the other performers but other than shouting & waving his hands in the air, what DOES he do?

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

DJ Kaled was a solid "meh." Why couldn't any of the other people he brought in for a verse (like JOHN LEGEND) each perform instead?

50 minutes ago, Caseysgirl said:

I’m old so I don’t  quite get what DJ Khaled’s talent is. Both segments were good and I enjoyed all the other performers but other than shouting & waving his hands in the air, what DOES he do?

That's what I'm curious about DJ Khaled, aside from yelling, what is his talent exactly ? Does he yell at all of his own instruments ?
It's pretty telling that he needs a busload of talented people on stage to make his "act" look legitimate.  Why wasn't John Legend the musical guest since he was apparently available ?

This is backed up by the fact that DJ Khaled was the 3rd best rapper in the GoT/Gracie & Frankie video.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

Lastly, I thought that MLK “joke” was really in terrible taste, and I wish they had rethought it.  I know the entire point of the ghostwritten joke bit is that Che makes Jost say racially offensive things, but that really struck a bad note with me.  It just made me question Che’s taste.

And it's live, so Colin said "You're going to get me murdered" and then immediately regretted it.  The whole thing was in bad taste and just not necessary.

5 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

I don't think that's an age thing 🙂  hahahaha.  Maybe we all feel like that

• Love 9

As somebody who doesn't watch Game of Thrones but adores Grace & Frankie, I thought the rap was fun--I loved how hard Pete was going about what is really just a quiet little show following two old ladies as they navigate their golden years. Also awesome that they got Jane and Lily for a quick cameo, and their recreation of the beach house set was perfect.

Not only did Cecily get Colin wet, but she sprayed Michael too. I thought it was funny that they then had to continue to rest of Weekend Update all damp.

In my next life, I wanna come back as DJ Khaled, and get paid millions of dollars to do literally nothing except loudly yell my own name over much more talented performers.

10 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Leslie & Kyle: So is this truly the end of Beck & Kyle? I mean, we're finally seeing resolution with Kyle & Leslie. Paul Rudd coming in was THE BEST. "It's like an old movie theater!" and then he joined in. That was great. Loved Lorne as the winking moon.

I thought it was strange he had to clarify that the floors were like an "old" movie theater now, as if the floors of current movie theaters aren't so gross that I once dropped my phone on one and seriously considered just leaving it there.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

As somebody who doesn't watch Game of Thrones but adores Grace & Frankie, I thought the rap was fun--I loved how hard Pete was going about what is really just a quiet little show following two old ladies as they navigate their golden years. Also awesome that they got Jane and Lily for a quick cameo, and their recreation of the beach house set was perfect.

Not only did Cecily get Colin wet, but she sprayed Michael too. I thought it was funny that they then had to continue to rest of Weekend Update all damp.

In my next life, I wanna come back as DJ Khaled, and get paid millions of dollars to do literally nothing except loudly yell my own name over much more talented performers.

I thought it was strange he had to clarify that the floors were like an "old" movie theater now, as if the floors of current movie theaters aren't so gross that I once dropped my phone on one and seriously considered just leaving it there.

DJ Khaled is literally Sir Mix-A-Lot in disguise. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
53 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

I have an anecdote about this.  I used to manage at a theatre and after each show the staff would clean up and have huge garbage bags at the ready.  One of the patrons actually said "Oh I thought we were supposed to throw our garbage on the floor."

I also once had a patron try to get a refill on his popcorn but the concession stand was closed, so he had a tantrum and just threw the rest of his popcorn everywhere.

That job was crazy.

Maybe I'd respect DJ Khaled as a ........ producer (??????) more if he didn't do covers and samples for every single ******* song.  Can't you make 1 original ******* beat?  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

Did anyone notice something odd about Alec Baldwin skulking around the cast during the credits?

it was as if no one wanted anything to do with him - I mean, he went all the way across the stage from right to left, and I didn’t see anyone recognizable shake hands with, or hug him.

I wonder if they even told him where the after-party was going to be?  He’d have been better off just catching an Uber after the cold open and watching the rest from home. 

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I have an anecdote about this.  I used to manage at a theatre and after each show the staff would clean up and have huge garbage bags at the ready.  One of the patrons actually said "Oh I thought we were supposed to throw our garbage on the floor."

That's not the first time I've heard that.  I live in a small town but we're blessed with a really nice 6-screen theater that's clean.  They're not stingy with strategically located trash bins. 

I don't know if there will be a season 44 thread, but in case not, this was an average season.  It didn't suck like in the Wiig/Meyers era, but it wasn't great, either. 

This ep was right on par with aforementioned mediocrity, perhaps a little below average given the show's continued devolution musically.  Cecily was on fire-- even if the WU martini flings were a little simple, it was still very funny.  The CO wasn't, except for Beck's Chic-Filet line.  They need to move on from the Baldwin-Trump bit; it's just worn.  Nice try at something different?

The alien-qua-time-traveler interview sketch might be a microcosm for the whole season.  The very first time they did it, it was one of the funniest sketches of that season.  I get that it's partly a vehicle for Kate to machine-gun metaphors for her veej and tush, but it's not working any more. 

I know people rave about Kate..but she's adequate...she's no kristen Wigg.  And in the View sketch apparently isn't Fred Armison either.

Just because you have enough female cast members doesnt mean they should only impersonate females.  Kate is all wrong to play Joy Behar..even Joy Behar said Armison was funnier.  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, vb68 said:

I FF through the Last Call sketches. The alien abduction sketches are more amusing to me but unless they think of a new twist on the formula (Cecily and host character describe blissful experience; Kate describes hideous experience that gives her an excuse to come up with a lot of crude and vulgar rhyming euphemisms and demonstrate how she was physically and sexually abused by her captors) I don't think we need to see it again. That said I enjoyed Paul Rudd in this one.

I like to think of Kyle's drinking as a callback to the other sketch because it wasn't just about drinking, it was specifically about drinking every day. And the whole thing was about playing around with what is really real and what is a bit.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

That's what I'm curious about DJ Khaled, aside from yelling, what is his talent exactly ? Does he yell at all of his own instruments ?
It's pretty telling that he needs a busload of talented people on stage to make his "act" look legitimate.  Why wasn't John Legend the musical guest since he was apparently available ?

This is backed up by the fact that DJ Khaled was the 3rd best rapper in the GoT/Gracie & Frankie video.

You win!! That entire post was spit-coffee-all-over-your-keyboard funny!

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I took “old movie theater” to mean it had years of gunk caked up on the floors, not so much to imply that new movie theaters are clean.

And to someone else’s anecdote...when I was a kid, I was told to leave my garbage on the floor of the theater when I was leaving. Not throw it all over, but set any empty soda cups or popcorn buckets under the seat as we left.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, SHD said:

I took “old movie theater” to mean it had years of gunk caked up on the floors, not so much to imply that new movie theaters are clean.

And to someone else’s anecdote...when I was a kid, I was told to leave my garbage on the floor of the theater when I was leaving. Not throw it all over, but set any empty soda cups or popcorn buckets under the seat as we left.

By a parent, or by somebody who actually worked at the theatre?  I'm so curious where this idea originates from.  That's definitely not what we asked customers to do.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I thought it was strange he had to clarify that the floors were like an "old" movie theater now

Considering what Kyle and Leslie were getting up to, I assumed he was talking about the old X-rated movie theaters, where the, er, floor stickiness would literally be the same. “Old” theater because everyone just does it at home with the internet now.

• Love 2