Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
swissair100

Father Brown

Recommended Posts

I cannot believe there is no show Forum for this very popular period drama.  (correct me/delete if I just happen to miss it since the recent updates).

Love all the actors & the characters they play.  Still miss Sid, but glad they often have old favorites come back & still do a show or two on occasion.

Enjoying Season 7 now in the US.  But the Cotswolds is clearly the "star" of this show.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

+1000 swissair100.  I've been watching Father Brown for about 4 years now on PBS. This season has been so good, wonderful writing and acting .  I couldn't believe there wasn't a listing here for it, thanks for starting one!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, swissair100 said:

I cannot believe there is no show Forum for this very popular period drama.  (correct me/delete if I just happen to miss it since the recent updates).

Love all the actors & the characters they play.  Still miss Sid, but glad they often have old favorites come back & still do a show or two on occasion.

Enjoying Season 7 now in the US.  But the Cotswolds is clearly the "star" of this show.

Thank you!!!!!  I love this show and can’t wait for Season 7 to start airing on my local PBS station or Netflix.  And I agree - the scenery is wonderful.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I can't wait for Season 7 to hit Netflix. I hope it will! I miss Sid and Lady Felicia, but I like Bunty. I really dislike Inspector Mallory.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I'm excited!!  Looks like Season 7 starts on my local station this Saturday:)

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I miss Sid and Lady Felicia ....

Yes, I miss her too.  

Was able to catch Sid (Alex Price) in NYC during one of his last performances in the Cursed Child on Broadway, & actor Paul Thornley who was in the same show (he played Joseph in S4, Ep 10 "Wrath of Baron Samdi").   

I don't mind Bunty as much any more, tho she is certainly no substitute for Lady F.

But while Mallory remains an incessantly annoying & condescending buffoon, he is ok. Although he needs to tone down that "Jolly Roger" pirate delivery - it's getting old. (I still prefer the 1st two inspectors)

Show is quintessentially English of the 50's, well-acted, intelligently written - love it!

Spoiler

note:  for those who haven't watched any of Season 7 yet, a couple of old favorite faces will return.  

Edited by swissair100
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

I'm excited!!  Looks like Season 7 starts on my local station this Saturday:)

Yes, we are  almost finished with Season 7 on PBS. This is an excellent season!

Edited by One4Sorrow2TooBad
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Yes, we at almost finished with Season 7 on PBS.

We had to wait thru reruns of season 6😕

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I've watched the available seasons several times. Just something I like about it, from the "sticking your nose in again father" to the people around him.
 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

For you regular watchers, I have a question.  Is Father Brown supposed to be a Catholic or an Anglican priest?  I assumed Catholic, but if so, there are a heck of a lot more Catholics in England than I would expect.

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Is Father Brown supposed to be a Catholic or an Anglican priest?  I assumed Catholic ..

Yes, Catholic.

(compared to Grantchester's Sidney Chambers who is Anglican)

Edited by swissair100
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I must be getting old - it's a Saturday night and I'm perfectly happy sitting at home and watching a brand new season of Father Brown:)

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

I enjoy this show and hope the newest season makes it to Netflix soon!

I didn't like how Sid was written out by having him spend a year in jail for a crime he didn't commit. I didn't think it fit with the cozy vibe of the show and was especially awful to see happen to IMO the most likable member of the team.

Bunty is ok, but I much prefer Sid and Lady Felicia.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Glad to see this show in a forum. We enjoy it very much. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

We are latecomers to Father Brown.  We've been watching it on Netflix when we need a break from all the "real" crime shows we often watch.

To be honest, I "watch" every episode twice.  I find it so calming that I often doze off during the first showing, so I have to rewatch at a later time.

Love Mark Williams.  Love the occasional "Harry Potter" Easter eggs in "Father Brown."

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/19/2019 at 3:40 PM, krankydoodle said:

I didn't like how Sid was written out by having him spend a year in jail for a crime he didn't commit. I didn't think it fit with the cozy vibe of the show and was especially awful to see happen to IMO the most likable member of the team.

Bunty is ok, but I much prefer Sid and Lady Felicia.

I hated how they wrote out Sid!  Really hated it. I don't know why they went such a dark route. 

I agree Bunty is ok, but I preferred Sid and Lady Felicia. The show just isn't the same without them. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Bunty meh

the actor playing Sid went to do something else, what it was I can't remember,  there is IMDB  

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, hummingbird said:

Bunty meh

the actor playing Sid went to do something else, what it was I can't remember,  there is IMDB  

He played/is playing Draco Malfoy in the stage play of "The Cursed Child."

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:07 AM, AZChristian said:

We are latecomers to Father Brown.  We've been watching it on Netflix when we need a break from all the "real" crime shows we often watch.

To be honest, I "watch" every episode twice.  I find it so calming that I often doze off during the first showing, so I have to rewatch at a later time.

Love Mark Williams.  Love the occasional "Harry Potter" Easter eggs in "Father Brown."

This show is truly a hidden gem , so__ much better written an beautiful scenery than most shows on tv.  I feel__ good after watching this show , Mark Williams is truly an amazing actor. I remember seeing him playing a very convincing Rory's father in Doctor Who. I want to add, seems like there were a couple of episodes this season that had Syd and Lady Felicia in them.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I had no idea there was a new series of Father Brown until I found this thread!! 

I always liked Father Brown but thought the 1970s series was a little dull.

Will have to see if this is on dvd somewhere.

eta:  available at Amazon - just ordered Seasons 1 and 2 which were on a pretty good sale.

Edited by Trey

Share this post


Link to post

I’m so glad there’s a forum for this show! I have loved this show long time but I have a real problem with the new inspector. His delivery is so weird, like a cartoon character. I think he’s a terrible actor!

like Bunty but still miss Lady F and Syd! 

Edited by novhappy
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, novhappy said:

I’m so glad there’s a forum for this show! I have loved this show long time but I have a real problem with the new inspector. His delivery is so weird, like a cartoon character. I think he’s a terrible actor!

like Bunty but still miss Lady F and Syd! 

I understand that Alec Price left the Broadway show.  Perhaps he will come back for Season 8 - if there is one:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, novhappy said:

I think he’s a terrible actor!

I don’t think he’s a terrible actor. I’ve seen him in other things and he’s much better. He’s just so bad in this and does have a really weird delivery. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Inspector Mallory's  and Sgt. Goodfellow 's roles are usually  somewhat comical.  Lots of cheeky humor on this show.  Awesome episode the other night.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

This week's episode was one that was shown about  three weeks or a month ago. Not sure why that happened , it was nice to see Felicia again!

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

This week's episode was one that was shown about  three weeks or a month ago. Not sure why that happened , it was nice to see Felicia again!

At least you got an episode - after three eps from Season 7, no ep tonight or next week:(

Share this post


Link to post

I hear that scorpio, PBS has a way of springing that on the viewers,lol.  I used to love__ watching EastEnders on Sunday night , then PBS just decided to quit showing it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Father Brown is moving to Britbox.  Season 7 will start streaming August 1, with the other seasons set to follow in the coming months.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, scorpio1031 said:

Father Brown is moving to Britbox.  Season 7 will start streaming August 1, with the other seasons set to follow in the coming months.

Does that mean it will never be on PBS again?

Share this post


Link to post

I decided to get a free trial of BritBox last year to watch the latest season of Midsomer Murders. I ended up keeping it because so much of what I had watched on Netflix or free on Prime were now under the BritBox umbrella. I'm happy to have it so at least I can watch all of Father Brown, which is a favorite of mine. BritBox doesn't have every season of some shows, I guess they have some agreement with Acorn to split up some shows. It's annoying and I'm not doing an Acorn subscription. With all the individual streaming services, it's just getting too expensive. 

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, msani19 said:

I decided to get a free trial of BritBox last year to watch the latest season of Midsomer Murders. I ended up keeping it because so much of what I had watched on Netflix or free on Prime were now under the BritBox umbrella. I'm happy to have it so at least I can watch all of Father Brown, which is a favorite of mine. BritBox doesn't have every season of some shows, I guess they have some agreement with Acorn to split up some shows. It's annoying and I'm not doing an Acorn subscription. With all the individual streaming services, it's just getting too expensive. 

Which is why I’m not doing BritBox. I have Netflix, Hulu, Acorn, and Amazon Prime. Even though I know there’s is a shit ton of programming I would love on BritBox, I have a shit ton of programming to watch on those other services, as well as Tubi (which is free). 

Share this post


Link to post

@TeslaNewton I totally agree. There are only so many services any of us can be expected to pay for regularly. I've probably reached my limit, if there's some new service that I might be interested in, I'd have to drop one of my current ones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/26/2019 at 8:07 AM, AZChristian said:

We are latecomers to Father Brown.  We've been watching it on Netflix when we need a break from all the "real" crime shows we often watch.

To be honest, I "watch" every episode twice.  I find it so calming that I often doze off during the first showing, so I have to rewatch at a later time.

Love Mark Williams.  Love the occasional "Harry Potter" Easter eggs in "Father Brown."

Harry Potter Easter eggs in FB?  I’m going to be looking big time for those! Does anybody remember one that you  can share, to help get me started?

Chiming in with thanks for this forum. I have 3 of my favorite episodes on DVR and play them when I need a dose of cozy (yes!) stories about friends on a mission. 

Bunty’s wardrobe rocks. 

The Inspector does a great job at being the Establishment against which father and his buddies slyly rebel in their crime solving.

 I really just like everything about the show!

1 minute ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

oops 

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

Harry Potter Easter eggs in FB?  I’m going to be looking big time for those! Does anybody remember one that you  can share, to help get me started?

I'm on the road, with limited access to a computer. But if you just type Harry Potter Easter eggs in Father Brown Mysteries into Google, you'll come up with a list.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I'm on the road, with limited access to a computer. But if you just type Harry Potter Easter eggs in Father Brown Mysteries into Google, you'll come up with a list.

Thank you!!!!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

Thank you!!!!!!!

Those of us who love Mr. Weasley/Father Brown have to stick together!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm watching season 7 now. I'm generally not a fan of the Flambeau episodes, but pairing him with Lady Felicia helped a lot. I hope they pop up again together next season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...