Type keyword(s) to search

Who is... James Holzhauer?

Athena
  • Start Topic

I will read and post in this thread away from all the "nastiness" that has been around in the main thread. I just wanted to post some of James' twitter replies today!

James Holzhauer‏Verified account @James_Holzhauer 2h2 hours ago

To everyone: Thanks for the support, and remember to be good humans.

446 replies 893 retweets 9,660 likes

Show this thread

To @KenJennings : You win this round. But if Jeopardy ever gives me 43 second chance games, look out!

62 replies 334 retweets 5,898 likes

Show this thread

"James will eventually beat himself by flubbing one of his big bets.” Nope, James got his ass kicked straight up by an elite player who nailed her own big bets.

44 replies 260 retweets 3,536 likes

Show this thread

CONGRATULATIONS to Emma on a world-beating performance. There's no greater honor than knowing an opponent had to play a perfect game to defeat me.

• Love 3

Thanks for posting that, @suebee12. I haven't had a chance to read all through Twitter yet.

He posted this on FB:

"Huge congrats to Emma, who needed to play a perfect game to beat me and did just that. To anyone who thinks that I threw the game or Jeopardy is rigged: it's insulting to our new champ to imply that she didn't crush me legitimately. And if you enjoyed watching a dominant champ in action, I think you might want to stick around for the rest of Emma's run."

• Love 6
(edited)

These two images from James' twitter page...His comment on the bathing suit? I had no regrets about my time on @Jeopardy. Until now698379110_Jamesbathingsuit.thumb.jpg.f5bda97024ad5878d28ccd4c5338b84e.jpg571901929_Jamesnameonsignin.thumb.jpg.4e4647986df5edc40573ba30326b644b.jpg

Edited by suebee12
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)

2 more tweets proving James has a keen sense of humor!!

Ken also hired Jeff Gillooly to break the thumb I buzz with.

Don't know why this is necessary. Follow the money. @KenJennings paid Emma to win. James had no chance once Ken started backing Emma.

Edited by suebee12
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

Actually I misread and the podcast was on yesterday. Interesting interview(again a bit of language from Pat). One fact that was brought up was that James had 1160 correct and only 36 incorrect questions during his reign! Also interesting about the fact that Jeopardy fast-tracked his payoff! Here is the link:

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, the James haters won't even see this, but here goes:

James sent a birthday card to a fan who has leukemia, and a get-well card to a 94-year-old recently widowed woman who's been hospitalized herself. Both notes handwritten and very kind. And he and his wife just donated $40K to an organization that helps homeless teens.

I don't WANT to put the guy on a pedestal, but dang. 

Plus he is absolutely killing it on Twitter. Some fan Tweeted that they wanted a Jennings/Holzhauer Presidential ticket in 2020. James immediately retweeted and added that the opposing party just announced a Rutter/Watson ticket. (Brad's response: "No deal. I suspect that Watson is trying to kill me even without being a heartbeat away from the presidency.")

And then there is this:

0B3C606B-57DA-429D-8577-348EB003B218.jpeg

If you're not a Twitter person, it's worth the annoyance of having an account just to follow James, Ken Jennings, and Buzzy Cohen. They are all very entertaining. 

ETA: I just listened to the Pat McAfee show. Another great interview, especially about the various conversations with Jeopardy lawyers (to sum up: "James! Quit doing that!").

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 6
On 6/8/2019 at 11:50 PM, Abstract said:

Well, the James haters won't even see this, but here goes:

James sent a birthday card to a fan who has leukemia, and a get-well card to a 94-year-old recently widowed woman who's been hospitalized herself. Both notes handwritten and very kind. And he and his wife just donated $40K to an organization that helps homeless teens.

I don't WANT to put the guy on a pedestal, but dang. 

Plus he is absolutely killing it on Twitter. Some fan Tweeted that they wanted a Jennings/Holzhauer Presidential ticket in 2020. James immediately retweeted and added that the opposing party just announced a Rutter/Watson ticket. (Brad's response: "No deal. I suspect that Watson is trying to kill me even without being a heartbeat away from the presidency.")

And then there is this:

0B3C606B-57DA-429D-8577-348EB003B218.jpeg

If you're not a Twitter person, it's worth the annoyance of having an account just to follow James, Ken Jennings, and Buzzy Cohen. They are all very entertaining. 

ETA: I just listened to the Pat McAfee show. Another great interview, especially about the various conversations with Jeopardy lawyers (to sum up: "James! Quit doing that!").

Agreed about James' tweets. He cracks me up.  That tweet about the Raptors (GO RAPTORS!) is brilliant.

Yesterday's:

Financial institutions, June 2009: Sorry James, but we don't do business with professional gamblers

Financial institutions, June 2019: hey james

• LOL 6
(edited)

Thank you @Athena for starting this thread! It is still fun to read about James! I was checking out the listing for the GSN and Ken Jenning's new show and saw that The Chase was preceding it so clicked on it for the heck of it! Here is the episode description...

A professional sports gambler takes on the all-knowing trivia expert in a fast-paced quiz show.

Think this is James' episode? I am going to turn on and find out!!!

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Abstract said:

@suebee12James' episode of The Chase is available on YouTube if nothing else.

I have seen it but I think there was more to the episode than the YouTube piece I have seen...so will find out this afternoon!😁

One of our vets is on vacation, so her pup is boarding at the clinic. He doesn't like being in a cage, so they bring him into the doctors' office and put up the baby gate. He slept most of the day in the dog bed under my desk (also his mom's desk when I'm not there.) Dog has a serious underbite (seriously cute!) and we've started calling him Holzhauer instead of his real name.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I watched James on The Chase. He was impressive as usual. I also liked that the other two players made it through although he did dominate by answering most of the questions. Then I watched part of that new Trivia show with Ken Jennings. I didn’t finish the episode. 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I watched James on The Chase. He was impressive as usual. I also liked that the other two players made it through although he did dominate by answering most of the questions. Then I watched part of that new Trivia show with Ken Jennings. I didn’t finish the episode. 🤷‍♀️

Taking my reply to media thread. 

• Love 1

I've always loved Jeopardy, and cannot remember ever not watching due to disliking a contestant. On the other hand, I tend to fall a bit in love with particular champs... like James. I sincerely like people who exhibit a good sense of humour. J! doesn't give contestants huge opportunities to be hilarious, and Alex probably doesn't want anyone to outshine him TOO much (I also like Alex's wit - he reminds me of my Dad a lot). I embrace what I can.

Lately, I am noticing that I'm not nearly as super excited about the show as I used to be. My anticipation tank ramped up to overflowing while James was on and now has sunk to "almost empty". I think I'm grieving... missing James... especially his speed, skill, wit, and exciting wagers. Oh, and his hair.

(I'm hoping Alex stays around... I'll be a total mess if he doesn't.)

I keep thinking I'll recover any day now... and my tank will fill up. Just not happening yet. Anyone else?

• Love 8
(edited)

Not me. There have been some really fun competitive games on Jeopardy in the last week, and James is killing it on Twitter, so I'm well entertained. 

I get where you're coming from, though. When you get attached to a contestant, it's hard to see them leave. Hopefully you have his episodes saved on your DVR for a rewatch!

(Speaking as someone who does NOT have my favorite contestant's episodes saved and I have to comb through YouTube clips.)

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Abstract said:

Hopefully you have his episodes saved on your DVR for a rewatch!

I do! Thank goodness I have two DVRs so I can save his episodes without missing other shows I want to record!!

• Love 1

My mom is visiting her sister (who is in her 80s and starting to suffer some cognitive decline). Mom texted me to say they were watching Jeopardy and my aunt really liked James and misses seeing him. So I'll have to make sure to let her know when ToC comes around.

• Love 2

I found this on YouTube while searching for something else. Don't think it has been posted. I loved seeing some of the photos of when he was a kid. Pretty good coverage of his time on Jeopardy!

• Love 3

Here is a photo from last night's NHL award show... The twitter that goes with it says:

- This guy promised me he'd be there whenever @Jeopardy welcomes me back - The all-in hand gesture looks better from a high camera angle

492806740_JamesandAlex...hockeyawards.thumb.jpg.631d58bcb4a81a03d3f58713a53559d4.jpg

• Love 2
(edited)

I’m watching ESPN and James just popped up on their bottom of the screen scrolling. He’s going to be in the World Series of Poker (I don’t know the dates), with any of his winnings going to charity.

Edited by opus
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Yes I am still following James on Twitter....I guess I am obsessed! Anyway, here is a really good article about James and his life after Jeopardy as well as his thoughts on the final Jeopardy in his final game!

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/22/nfl-training-camp-tour-james-holzhauer-fmia-peter-k

My favorite tweet from James about the TOC...

Am I eager for revenge? You Boettcher ass I am!

He is witty!!!!

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 1