Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E10: To the Extreme

17 hours ago, SHD said:

The walls were not just paint but some kind of plaster-y texture. P

I don't even think it was that--it looked more like thin set that is used to tile floors, although Hildi called it "self-leveling floor" something or other, so I think it was quick-set concrete.  I've tiled floors before, and scraping thin set off the concrete slab is bad enough.  It won't come off the walls without destroying them, so they will have to be taken down and drywalled again if the homeowners don't keep it.  Which I imagine they won't.

What a disappointing episode.  Hildi sucks. The one thing I'll give Ty was that when the homeowners balked at putting straw on the floor, he said okay and didn't do it.  Of course then he brought in goats, which is even worse.  

• Love 15
(edited)

I actually liked the slat-walls in Hildi's room - they looked like they needed to be painted better, but that's because they weren't done until day two (and probably should have been painted prior to assembly rather than after).  Of course, that's probably because I am tired of every wall coming down in every other home design show.  Those awkward posts in the living room were obviously left behind when they pulled down what was otherwise a load-bearing wall.

The floor treatments in both rooms were appalling though.  In Ty's because: splinter city and Hildi's, not because there was anything wrong with the floors, per se, but I'd be so mad if my brand new carpet was pulled up! (Why didn't they put that in the rider for the show? Other people in the past have "protected" various things!)

Edited by Eeksquire
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Eeksquire said:

The floor treatments in both rooms were appalling though.  In Ty's because: splinter city and Hildi's, not because there was anything wrong with the floors, per se, but I'd be so mad if my brand new carpet was pulled up! (Why didn't they put that in the rider for the show? Other people in the past have "protected" various things!)

This. Anyone who's watched more than a few episodes should realize that it's anything goes unless you specify it in the agreement. The paperwork probably says so, too. It's hard to imagine people don't think of this, but they really should imagine the worst-case scenario and then exempt that thing that's the deal-breaker. (I'd have a list of deal-breakers, which is one of a hundred reasons I'd never do it.) Also that certain designers *cough*Hildi*cough* will never take into account accommodating your kids or child safety.

Edited by caitmcg
  • Love 4

So, the comforter on the bed was the denim quilt, right? If so? If I was the woman who sat up all night sewing that thing for "homework," and then walked in to see it covered in chicken scratch, goat pellets and the matching farm animals, I'd be livid. 

• Love 13
On 5/19/2019 at 1:06 PM, Madding crowd said:

And I’m sick of the parade of baskets coming from the Overstock room where “You can pick anything you want.”

YES.

I'm of the mindset that even if nothing in that tent actually went with the room's new design, I would try my hardest to get something my friend/family would like that had some kind of use and/or value to it. They could always move it to another part of their home, and at least then you gave them *something* nice if they wind up hating the room. The amount of people who take rinky dink baskets is mystifying.

There was one couple who snagged a cool looking desk and chair set for their friend. Not sure if I'm remembering it right but I think it was the episode where the homeowner loved motorcycles? I loved them for actually picking something that wasn't some cheapo weaved tchotchke.

• Love 12
On 5/18/2019 at 7:24 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

On a tacky, catty note, what is up with Hildi's makeup?    It looks like Cruella Deville did it for her, and she needs to either condition her hair, or get a good trim.   

I can't believe Hildi's chopping the arms off of the sofa.   However, if you volunteer to go on Trading Spaces, you're asking to be appalled, and to have to spend a lot to fix it.  

Hildi's wall treatment looks hideous.   There is nothing Japanese, or minimalist about those walls.    Since the walls probably aren't totally dry yet, then it's just going to make fixing it worse.   I can't believe they're going to paint the ceiling that gray also.   That room is going to look like cave, and with the slatted room divider, it's going to be bad.  

Yep. That room sucked. Hard.

• Love 2
On 5/18/2019 at 8:16 PM, alexa said:

They might as well cancel the show if Hildi is going to be on every week. I won’t keep watching if they think I want her drama. I want designers like Vern or Sabrina that actually try to do a decent room.

And how rude for Hildi to want to remove brand new carpet. It is not for everyone but they bought and chose it. I would be pissed for that to happen in a crappy 2000 Trading Spaces room. And I don’t mind Ty, but he is on every other week too. If none of the other designers are available why are they even bothering?

On 5/18/2019 at 8:50 PM, readheaded said:

I can't stand Hildi.  And, she looks ridiculous wearing heels and dressy clothes while she's supposed to be "painting."  She must not have much else going on since she's almost on every freaking episode.  Just go away already.

She's just arrogant and horrible.  I'm done watching if she's on.

On 5/18/2019 at 8:55 PM, readheaded said:

Good grief her room looks cheap.

OMG, the homeowners hate it.  And, I don't blame them.  It's hideous.

What is wrong with Paige?  Would she want plywood floors in her bedroom?  Ty needs to go away, too.

On 5/19/2019 at 12:07 AM, friendperidot said:

The finished Hildi room wasn't horrible, and I'm not an expert on Japanese design, but that in no way looked Japanese to me. And she never takes young children into consideration, it's like she has no clue about what young children are, how they behave, things they do.

And if I had to hear "yee haw" one more time, I was going to throw something at the tv. I'm not a country music fan, but I live in Oklahoma and I do not hear people run around shouting "yee haw!" all the time, in fact, never. The guitars over the bed were stupid, and country design does not mean a barnyard in your bedroom! At least removing the hay and the animals were an easy fix, the rest of the flooring, not so much. And what is with Ty having to spell out some obvious word in the room? Last week, "Cuba" and this week "country." Just lazy and stupid. Does anybody put obvious words on their walls now? The last time that was cute was when Mary Richards had the big "M" on her wall.

On 5/19/2019 at 1:14 AM, suebee12 said:

I can't believe how many times Hildi has been on this season. The only thing I can figure is that no one will hire her for "real design" work and she needs the money! I also can't figure out why they are using Ty as a designer...he is a carpenter and he should keep doing that because he is good at that!  These two rooms tonight were mostly disasters and will take those poor people a long, long time to fix them up. If I had sewn that denim quilt(which the homeowner probably didn't!) and I walked in and saw messy chickens and goats on it, I would have turned and asked Ty if he was crazy....no one wants farm animals in their house(especially the bedroom) even if they love "country"...Tonight was a waste of a good hour!

My guess is that most of the original designers have thriving careers that were launched by the show. There is no way anyone in their right mind would actually pay good money for “Hildi’s design expertise”,

• Love 5

I was shocked when, on Day 2, Hilde took one look at the walls in the room and admitted that they needed to start over.  That may be the first time she's ever admitted a mistake!  Apparently, even Hilde has some (incredibly low) standards; who would have guessed? LOL

It's amazing that she looked at that grey gunk on the walls and thought to herself, "Wow, if only I'd covered these walls in feathers, or hay, or nailed paint cans to the ceiling.  But no, I had to do this!"

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 5/19/2019 at 7:10 PM, Kerri Okie said:

I don't even think it was that--it looked more like thin set that is used to tile floors, although Hildi called it "self-leveling floor" something or other, so I think it was quick-set concrete.  I've tiled floors before, and scraping thin set off the concrete slab is bad enough.  It won't come off the walls without destroying them, so they will have to be taken down and drywalled again if the homeowners don't keep it.  Which I imagine they won't.

THIS is what angers me the most!!! There is no justifiable reason to use a floor leveling treatment on the walls when they can make paint any freaking color they want - that is what the random go to the paint store in-show commercials are for, right?!? I don't understand her obsession with attaching stuff to the walls that ruins the drywall. She is just plain rude and has become even more of a caricature. They need to drop her. I don't watch the show to see trainwrecks. I want to see cool ideas and fun affordable ways to upgrade a room in a short timeframe. 

3 hours ago, Gregg247 said:

I was shocked when, on Day 2, Hilde took one look at the walls in the room and admitted that they needed to start over.  That may be the first time she's ever admitted a mistake!  Apparently, even Hilde has some (incredibly low) standards; who would have guessed? LOL

Ha! But then she had to ruin the ceiling by hitting it with that small spot of the roller mid-day-2 when I thought the lighter grey was a lovely tone to balance the dark while adding color to the ceiling. Instead she had to make it all match and was obnoxious.

• Love 9
(edited)
On 5/19/2019 at 5:48 PM, seacliffsal said:

And, let me add my vote to those who say if someone signs up for this show they should know what they're getting into.  Ten seasons-there's no surprise to be had regarding outrageous designs and damage to the homes.  I have no idea why Hildi took off all of the wood trim and then acted all surprised that it ruined the paint and drywall.  She's ruined enough rooms, why feign surprise?

I agree that at this point, the homeowners should expect an outrageous design in their room. However, I hate seeing the same sanitized reactions over and over. It's like they're all scared of going viral like "Crying Pam" so they just keep their mouths shut or find something nice to say during the reveal. If they hate it, I want to hear that! The homeowners can say they knew what they were getting into and that it was worth the experience, while still giving their honest opinion of the room.

Edited by Jsage
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, qtpye said:

My guess is that most of the original designers have thriving careers that were launched by the show. There is no way anyone in their right mind would actually pay good money for “Hildi’s design expertise”,

The twin sister who loves Hilda in the episode a few weeks ago would pay good money for Hilda’s design expertise 😂

10 hours ago, Jsage said:

I agree that at this point, the homeowners should expect an outrageous design in their room. However, I hate seeing the same sanitized reactions over and over. It's like they're all scared of going viral like "Crying Pam" so they just keep their mouths shut or find something nice to say during the reveal. If they hate it, I want to hear that! The homeowners can say they knew what they were getting into and that it was worth the experience, while still giving their honest opinion of the room.

I agree to a point, but I also see why they don't do that--they end up getting a ton of criticism online, even if they are calm about it, with people saying--you shouldn't sign up if you aren't ready for any outcome, etc.  People are brutal, even to nice people online.  I think they find it easier to just be nice, and fix up their rooms after the fact.  

I will say if you go to the trading spaces facebook page, the majority are very vocal and upset that Hildi is still on and doing this kind of crappy design.  So TLC is seeing it, but I am sure they think, oh look, it is getting attention!  Which is very annoying, but true.

• Love 2

I commend those of you who were able to watch this episode. I sat down to watch and had such a visceral reaction to the preview at the beginning I chose not to put myself through it. Seeing Hildi so happy to destroy that furniture by sawing it apart like that made me go.... 

not safe for work no GIF

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

This was the first episode. I just can’t with Hildi anymore.

They do seem overly reliant on her this season.  I would have liked to see some more variety amongst the designers chosen. 

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/19/2019 at 11:06 AM, camom said:

I never put anything over the bed that could fall on my head in an earthquake.

One of my pet peeves with design shows!  

Pictures in heavy frames, immense ornate mirrors - what are they thinking?  And on a comfort rather than safety note, headboards that you can't actually lean against.

Edited by kirklandia
  • Love 4
On 5/18/2019 at 10:16 PM, Bastet said:

I only saw the reveal, so maybe I'll backtrack a bit upon seeing the full episode, but for now I'll be the outlier: Both rooms looked better after the designers got ahold of them, and there's nothing in either one to clutch one's pearls about.

Quoting myself to say I (mostly) watched the rerun last night and I'm still not finding it in me to get fired up.  Both rooms were kind of dumb, but not EXTREME!ly dumb, and looked better than they did before. 

My favorite moment was the look on Hildi's face when Paige outright shouted, with her usual 50 times more energy than warranted for the situation, something that could have simply been stated (maybe that it was time to start loading in).  After all these years of exposure, to have that really? reaction to this particular moment of EXTREME over-exuberance was funny.

Second favorite was the absolute stink face on the living room homeowner's face when she was led in for the reveal and could feel that her new carpet was no longer under her feet. 

• Love 2

Just say this over the weekend, and I have to say, did Ty really think leaving exposed plywood subfloor as the actual floor was a good thing?  Why did he tear up the carpet?

And Hildi's room, ugh.  They should've left the ceiling the lighter color.

On ‎05‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:16 AM, Bastet said:

I don't even understand the "we can't have the slats because of the kids" objection, so piss off; she came up with a way to create separation in some god-awful open concept cookie cutter living room.  If you want a different means of delineation, do it yourself.

They didn't want delineation.  They had opened up the rooms themselves.  They objected to the slats mainly because of how it closed off the rooms and made the living room very dark.  And the walls and ceiling were covered with dyed concrete.  Concrete, not plaster, and most definitely not a wall surface.

On ‎05‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:19 AM, Honey said:

He said at the end that if he had enough money he would have sanded and put poly on the floor, well $250 would have been enough to do that.  At least they could have walked on it in bare feet with getting splinters. 

True, they could've walked on it, but plywood is not a durable surface, long-term.  That was such a fail on Ty's part.

On ‎05‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:47 PM, ams1001 said:

They had carpet that didn't appear to be all that new, so at least they can put down whatever flooring they want; in a way, Ty saved them some money/work in that respect (assuming that's something they'd want to replace at some point, anyway).

He might've saved them work, but pulling up the carpet didn't save them money.

On ‎05‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:47 PM, ams1001 said:

I would paint the walls a much lighter color (I don't even mind gray; hopefully whatever Hildi used on them is easily painted over)

It was a concrete mix with dye in it.  It won't be easy to paint over because of the texture.

On ‎05‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:11 PM, Bastet said:

Quoting myself to say I (mostly) watched the rerun last night and I'm still not finding it in me to get fired up.  Both rooms were kind of dumb, but not EXTREME!ly dumb, and looked better than they did before. 

Not even the thin set floor treatment on the walls which completely ruined the drywall?  After Hildi had already ripped out the floor molding and torn big holes in the drywall?  That's not a quick fix, and it's a lot of money.

• Love 5
On 5/18/2019 at 11:05 PM, mlp said:

That had to be the worst episode since the old shows.  Way too much nonsense and obviously rehearsed and choreographed "dancing" and fooling around.  The "Japanese" room was dark and ugly.  Every shot of Hildi on the ladder, supposedly helping with the painting, showed the same dark splotch on the ceiling so she clearly wasn't really doing anything.  The country room did nothing for me but it looked better by comparison.  I couldn't believe Ty used exposed plywood floors in a bedroom.  Anywhere really but especially a bedroom.  The hay was bad enough but live animals were worse.  Baby goats are cute but not on the bed and especially not on the denim quilt the woman worked on.  I still can't stand Paige.

Neither couple seemed pleased with their room.  I'd love to know what they had to say after the Trading Spaces crews left.  I would have been furious about the new carpeting they took up.

I love that the blue shirt male homeowner told Hildi to her face, more than once, that he was glad she was here and not over there in their house. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2