Homeowner: "Let's hope Hildi really knows what she's doing."

Me: lol.

----

Also me, 7 minutes in: STOP SCREECHING!

Edited by ams1001
agh!
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

They might as well cancel the show if Hildi is going to be on every week. I won’t keep watching if they think I want her drama. I want designers like Vern or Sabrina that actually try to do a decent room.

And how rude for Hildi to want to remove brand new carpet. It is not for everyone but they bought and chose it. I would be pissed for that to happen in a crappy 2000 Trading Spaces room. And I don’t mind Ty, but he is on every other week too. If none of the other designers are available why are they even bothering?

• Love 22
(edited)

On a tacky, catty note, what is up with Hildi's makeup?    It looks like Cruella Deville did it for her, and she needs to either condition her hair, or get a good trim.   

I can't believe Hildi's chopping the arms off of the sofa.   However, if you volunteer to go on Trading Spaces, you're asking to be appalled, and to have to spend a lot to fix it.  

Hildi's wall treatment looks hideous.   There is nothing Japanese, or minimalist about those walls.    Since the walls probably aren't totally dry yet, then it's just going to make fixing it worse.   I can't believe they're going to paint the ceiling that gray also.   That room is going to look like cave, and with the slatted room divider, it's going to be bad.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

I guess the Sing Sing Death Row vibe?     It's so dark, the ceiling is the same color, add the slatted room divider, and you have a prison cell look. 

The homeowners that want a Japanese vibe could have bought carpet that looks quite a bit like a Tatami (spelling) mat.    Hildi would have ripped it out anyway, but at least they could have put it back.    The walls are hideous, and good luck finding a painter to do the ceiling, and walls over that stuff.   The room dividers are awful.    I don't think the homeowner wife turning blood red is a good sign, and crying.   The room dividers look like I did them, and I suck at carpentry.    The second they can, the room dividers are out of there, the painters are coming in, and I bet they go furniture and carpet shopping too.  

Ty's room, is OK. At least they can get the goats, chickens, and hay out of there.   Good luck getting the goat poop and pee smell out of the room, especially since the floor is unsealed plywood.   At least the hay is easy to remove.    I suspect after a thorough cleaning, that the homeowners will be rug shopping with the neighbors, and the Country sign will be gone.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 7
Just now, CrazyInAlabama said:

I guess the Sing Sing Death Row vibe?     It's so dark, the ceiling is the same color, add the slatted room divider, and you have a prison cell look. 

Definitely not seeing Japan yet. The small glimpse I got of the floor looked nice.

Why is Ty licking the floor?

Oh, god, not more hay.

• Love 1

I can't stand Hildi.  And, she looks ridiculous wearing heels and dressy clothes while she's supposed to be "painting."  She must not have much else going on since she's almost on every freaking episode.  Just go away already.

34 minutes ago, alexa said:

They might as well cancel the show if Hildi is going to be on every week. I won’t keep watching if they think I want her drama. I want designers like Vern or Sabrina that actually try to do a decent room.

And how rude for Hildi to want to remove brand new carpet. It is not for everyone but they bought and chose it. I would be pissed for that to happen in a crappy 2000 Trading Spaces room. And I don’t mind Ty, but he is on every other week too. If none of the other designers are available why are they even bothering?

She's just arrogant and horrible.  I'm done watching if she's on.

• Love 8

What happened to the gorgeous rooms Ty used to do?  He did one a while ago that was my absolute favorite of any room ever done.  Paige also said it was her favorite.  A plywood floor?  Really?  You can't even walk on that barefoot without getting slivers.  Ugh!

Hildi can't possibly be a real designer, can she?  She's a joke.

• Love 15
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Honey said:

What happened to the gorgeous rooms Ty used to do?  He did one a while ago that was my absolute favorite of any room ever done.  Paige also said it was her favorite.  A plywood floor?  Really?  You can't even walk on that barefoot without getting slivers.  Ugh!

Good grief her room looks cheap.

OMG, the homeowners hate it.  And, I don't blame them.  It's hideous.

What is wrong with Paige?  Would she want plywood floors in her bedroom?  Ty needs to go away, too.

Edited by readheaded
  • Love 11

Okay, the walls look much better but they're too dark. I want them to open the curtains. I like the taller coffee table. Those slats look like a jail cell. 

Goats? With food on the bed? Really? So they can go do some laundry right off the bat? (All right, the goats are cute.)

Did they just say they love the "country" room? It's ugly as hell. I love Hildi's room compared to that.

...Can I pet the goats?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

So now the thing is to ruin existing flooring even though they are on a budget?  As said above, it bothers me that Ty can do really nice rooms but isn’t even trying anymore. I loved that colorful room he did last year, and in that room he did a nice floor too.

I would be so mad if they left me with plywood floors, and had animals on my bed. I mean, you work so hard for two days, and your reward is having a bedroom you can’t use right away?  This show sucks now.  

• Love 19
(edited)
10 minutes ago, alexa said:

I would be so mad if they left me with plywood floors, and had animals on my bed. I mean, you work so hard for two days, and your reward is having a bedroom you can’t use right away?  This show sucks now.  

The first thing I'd be doing is tossing the hay and putting down some real flooring. (And if I were the friend I'd be offering to help. Because I get that the homeowners have little to no say in what happens.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 5/18/2019 at 7:52 PM, Honey said:

Even worse is that Ty's "headboard" was two acoustic guitars hung on the wall swinging free. Hay, farm animals, plywood floors, and a bullshit headboard that's useless and uncomfortable. Did they spend $2000 to rent the petting zoo?

I'm increasingly convinced that Hildi was a sculptor whose apartment appeared in Architectural Digest and they hired her for Trading Spaces 20 years ago.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 8

That had to be the worst episode since the old shows.  Way too much nonsense and obviously rehearsed and choreographed "dancing" and fooling around.  The "Japanese" room was dark and ugly.  Every shot of Hildi on the ladder, supposedly helping with the painting, showed the same dark splotch on the ceiling so she clearly wasn't really doing anything.  The country room did nothing for me but it looked better by comparison.  I couldn't believe Ty used exposed plywood floors in a bedroom.  Anywhere really but especially a bedroom.  The hay was bad enough but live animals were worse.  Baby goats are cute but not on the bed and especially not on the denim quilt the woman worked on.  I still can't stand Paige.

Neither couple seemed pleased with their room.  I'd love to know what they had to say after the Trading Spaces crews left.  I would have been furious about the new carpeting they took up.

• Love 9

The finished Hildi room wasn't horrible, and I'm not an expert on Japanese design, but that in no way looked Japanese to me. And she never takes young children into consideration, it's like she has no clue about what young children are, how they behave, things they do.

And if I had to hear "yee haw" one more time, I was going to throw something at the tv. I'm not a country music fan, but I live in Oklahoma and I do not hear people run around shouting "yee haw!" all the time, in fact, never. The guitars over the bed were stupid, and country design does not mean a barnyard in your bedroom! At least removing the hay and the animals were an easy fix, the rest of the flooring, not so much. And what is with Ty having to spell out some obvious word in the room? Last week, "Cuba" and this week "country." Just lazy and stupid. Does anybody put obvious words on their walls now? The last time that was cute was when Mary Richards had the big "M" on her wall.

• Love 16

I am late, I forgot about Trading Spaces but thankfully there is a repeat and I have to say a big what the **** to both rooms? Tygert is really nasty licking the plywood but I did like one of the homeowners saying “The designers scares me alot” at least he is honest! Hilda continues to be inconsiderate of the homeowners, I wish they did not bring Hilda back! I am sick of Hilda and Tygert already! I want Vern, Frank, Laurie, and Sabrina every week please! At least those designers knows how to make nice rooms unlike Hilda and Tygert! 

4 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

The finished Hildi room wasn't horrible, and I'm not an expert on Japanese design, but that in no way looked Japanese to me. And she never takes young children into consideration, it's like she has no clue about what young children are, how they behave, things they do.

And if I had to hear "yee haw" one more time, I was going to throw something at the tv. I'm not a country music fan, but I live in Oklahoma and I do not hear people run around shouting "yee haw!" all the time, in fact, never. The guitars over the bed were stupid, and country design does not mean a barnyard in your bedroom! At least removing the hay and the animals were an easy fix, the rest of the flooring, not so much. And what is with Ty having to spell out some obvious word in the room? Last week, "Cuba" and this week "country." Just lazy and stupid. Does anybody put obvious words on their walls now? The last time that was cute was when Mary Richards had the big "M" on her wall.

Haha, small world! I live in Oklahoma too! 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

Last week, "Cuba" and this week "country." 

Maybe I just watch a lot of Maru the cat videos, but when I think Japanese living room I think light. They have light wood floors and apparently lots of natural light coming in the windows.

I caught the reveal of Ty's room from last week when I turned on the TV, and noticed that the stickers they wrapped around the letters had come loose on the top end of the C.

• Love 3

At least someone finally said to Hildi’s face, in effect, “As long as we’re working with you, at least you’re not doing OUR house.”

The couple who got Hildi’s room showed remarkable restraint at the reveal. 

Did the country bedroom woman say she didn’t even notice the goats at first? Also, neither of them said, “Hey, where’s our office stuff?”?!

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, SHD said:

At least someone finally said to Hildi’s face, in effect, “As long as we’re working with you, at least you’re not doing OUR house.”

Did the country bedroom woman say she didn’t even notice the goats at first? Also, neither of them said, “Hey, where’s our office stuff?”?!

It seems they did not care about the office stuff, it was ugly and does not belong in a bedroom 

4 hours ago, readheaded said:

She must not have much else going on since she's almost on every freaking episode.  Just go away already.

4 hours ago, Honey said:

4 hours ago, readheaded said:

She's just arrogant and horrible.  I'm done watching if she's on.

46 minutes ago, SHD said:

I can't believe how many times Hildi has been on this season. The only thing I can figure is that no one will hire her for "real design" work and she needs the money! I also can't figure out why they are using Ty as a designer...he is a carpenter and he should keep doing that because he is good at that!  These two rooms tonight were mostly disasters and will take those poor people a long, long time to fix them up. If I had sewn that denim quilt(which the homeowner probably didn't!) and I walked in and saw messy chickens and goats on it, I would have turned and asked Ty if he was crazy....no one wants farm animals in their house(especially the bedroom) even if they love "country"...Tonight was a waste of a good hour!

• Love 12

I only saw the reveal, so maybe I'll backtrack a bit upon seeing the full episode, but for now I'll be the outlier: Both rooms looked better after the designers got ahold of them, and there's nothing in either one to clutch one's pearls about.

Fundamentally, any fools who'd not only go on this show but bleat about wanting an extreme change deserve whatever they get.  But I don't think anyone got anything to wail about, regardless.  Hildi used a dark color.  Oh noes!  Paint over it (I wouldn't want my ceiling that color, but the walls were fine).  I don't even understand the "we can't have the slats because of the kids" objection, so piss off; she came up with a way to create separation in some god-awful open concept cookie cutter living room.  If you want a different means of delineation, do it yourself.

Ty's room having barnyard animals for the reveal was a ridiculous touch, but also very obviously an exploit animals for entertainment moment of stupidity for the camera; they were hardly there.  Setting their distraction aside, there were simply bales of hay as a bench.  Get rid of them - done.  A bar in the bedroom is dumb, but not difficult to remove.  The floor was flat-out awful, and I didn't catch what was there before, but plywood may be an easy sub-floor to cover.  No need to kvetch.

19 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The floor was flat-out awful, and I didn't catch what was there before, but plywood may be an easy sub-floor to cover.  No need to kvetch.

I imagine the reason Ty had over $250 unspent was that he had a plan for the floor, but then had the bright idea to leave the bare plywood subfloor instead. That he spent less than $1800 gives the lie to saying he couldn’t afford to have done something, and you don’t just pull up the carpet with no plan to start with. 

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I only saw the reveal, so maybe I'll backtrack a bit upon seeing the full episode, but for now I'll be the outlier: Both rooms looked better after the designers got ahold of them, and there's nothing in either one to clutch one's pearls about.

Fundamentally, any fools who'd not only go on this show but bleat about wanting an extreme change deserve whatever they get.  But I don't think anyone got anything to wail about, regardless.  Hildi used a dark color.  Oh noes!  Paint over it (I wouldn't want my ceiling that color, but the walls were fine).  I don't even understand the "we can't have the slats because of the kids" objection, so piss off; she came up with a way to create separation in some god-awful open concept cookie cutter living room.  If you want a different means of delineation, do it yourself.

I know you haven’t watched the entire show, so to a couple of your points...the owners had purposely opened up that room and the show was made aware of that. So the show put something in place that the owners had specifically taken down before. The walls were not just paint but some kind of plaster-y texture. Plus, one wall was covered in wood flooring, which was probably glued on or has a million nail holes. Hildi also tore off all the molding in the room and admitted to damaging the walls doing so. So the fixes won’t be as simple as just repainting, unfortunately.

I do agree with you though, that if you go on this show and ask for something extreme, you better have some money in savings to undo whatever gets done.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Pretty sure that both Ty and Carter were designers last season.

Yeah I should have been more specific, it was Episode 2 of Season 9, we are currently in Season 10.  Speaking of Carter, he used to be gorgeous, unlike most men, he hasn't aged particularly well.  In my opinion.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, caitmcg said:

I imagine the reason Ty had over $250 unspent was that he had a plan for the floor, but then had the bright idea to leave the bare plywood subfloor instead. That he spent less than $1800 gives the lie to saying he couldn’t afford to have done something, and you don’t just pull up the carpet with no plan to start with. 

He said at the end that if he had enough money he would have sanded and put poly on the floor, well $250 would have been enough to do that.  At least they could have walked on it in bare feet with getting splinters. 

I hated the bedroom he did last week too.  Barf bags???? I think he's off his meds.  He seems very untethered.  Or, maybe it's too many drugs, who knows.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Honey said:

Here's that beautiful room that Ty did in episode 2.  ty.thumb.jpg.3bc9f2584bb5c9fb9a8c7bf2fa18e9f1.jpgIt was the first time the carpenters appeared as designers.

Yes, that was his debut last season. I loved that room.

8 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Pretty sure that both Ty and Carter were designers last season.

Yes, they started last season as designers. 

Both rooms were better than I expected after reading here.  Hilde's room was way too dark, though.  I agree with that.  I also feel bad about losing the carpet.  I hope they kept it somewhere and didn't throw it in a dumpster.  Ty's room wasn't bad once you remove all the animals, feed, and dirt.  And with the plywood floors it all set now to add real flooring, if they want.    The previous carpet in that room wasn't in good shape.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, readheaded said:

OMG, the homeowners hate it.  And, I don't blame them.  It's hideous.

I didn't watch everything but caught the reveals. Those poor homeowners. They were trying to hard not to say what they were really thinking. I feel for them because it was so clear they hated it and struggled to find anything good to say. 

I didn't hate Hildi's room nearly as much as that theme park nightmare Ty designed. The only good thing about that nightmare were the adorable little goats. Plywood floors/ Mismatched junkyard letters on the wall? Guitars behind your head? how are they supposed to sit up in bed? Do they lean against the guitars? that sounds uncomfortable. And they seemed to like it? Am I that out of touch with good taste? hahahaha

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I didn't watch everything but caught the reveals. Those poor homeowners. They were trying to hard not to say what they were really thinking. I feel for them because it was so clear they hated it and struggled to find anything good to say. 

I didn't hate Hildi's room nearly as much as that theme park nightmare Ty designed. The only good thing about that nightmare were the adorable little goats. Plywood floors/ Mismatched junkyard letters on the wall? Guitars behind your head? how are they supposed to sit up in bed? Do they lean against the guitars? that sounds uncomfortable. And they seemed to like it? Am I that out of touch with good taste? hahahaha

At least the other homeowners liked the room but of course they did because they love country

(edited)

I think the homeowners who hate a room are keeping their mouths shut.    They don't want to get trashed over going on the show, and complaining.     I'm guessing the week after the show leaves, everyone helps fix whatever is hideous about the rooms.    I bet in both houses the carpet or flooring people were there as soon as they could schedule them, the slats in the "Japanese" house were gone, and painters fixed the ceiling, and wall colors.    Followed by a trip to the furniture store for the Japanese house.     

Of course, the chickens and goats went back to their petting zoo, or wherever they came from, all of the poop was removed, followed by moving the guitars, and removing the letters for Country.   I'm sure hay removal was the first step, followed by a trip to the carpet store, and moving the bar out of the bedroom.   If the Country room people needed an office, then I hope they bought something nicer to replace what they had.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
(edited)

I hated both these rooms. Hildi’s Was too dark and nothing she did looked expensive, Japanese or family friendly. The country room complete with goats and chickens urinating and defecating all over the bedding was even worse.

I don’t agree that the owners should expect horrible rooms they have to spend time and money to fix. Maybe they shouldn’t be surprised but expect? I think $2,000 is enough money to create lovely rooms provided the designer isn’t hung about on some destructive thing like plaster effect walls. And I’m sick of the parade of baskets coming from the Overstock room where “You can pick anything you want.”

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 10
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

The floor was flat-out awful, and I didn't catch what was there before, but plywood may be an easy sub-floor to cover.  No need to kvetch.

They had carpet that didn't appear to be all that new, so at least they can put down whatever flooring they want; in a way, Ty saved them some money/work in that respect (assuming that's something they'd want to replace at some point, anyway). (Actually, when they were first pulling up the carpet and Ty got all worked up at what he was seeing underneath, I thought he was finding a huge problem that the homeowners would have to fix, rotted wood or bugs or something. So I'm glad that wasn't the case, for their sake.)

24 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I hated both these rooms. Hildi’s Was too dark and nothing she did looked expensive, Japanese or family friendly. The country room complete with goats and chickens urinating and defecating all over the bedding was even worse.

I don’t agree that the owners should expect horrible rooms they have to spend time and money to fix. Maybe they shouldn’t be surprised but expect? I think $2,000 is enough money to create lovely rooms provided the designer isn’t hung about on some destructive thing like plaster effect walls. And I’m sick of the parade of baskets coming from the Overstock room where “You can pick anything you want.”

I hope the show cleaned up after the animals. If I went on this show I'd expect to have to do at least some work afterwards (at the very least, moving some extraneous accessories, or moving some oddly-placed furniture), but cleaning up after a petting zoo is a little beyond what the homeowners should have to do. Cute as the goats are.

And it looked like Hildi took up the new carpet in one piece, so they could probably have it put back in easily enough if they want. At least they'd only have to pay for the labor. Though I did like the flooring they used (not on the walls, though). I would paint the walls a much lighter color (I don't even mind gray; hopefully whatever Hildi used on them is easily painted over). And I'll be honest, my first impression when they showed the finished room was "I don't hate this." 

12 hours ago, suebee12 said:

If I had sewn that denim quilt(which the homeowner probably didn't!)

Did they really suggest that the homeowner put that whole quilt together overnight (I was only half paying attention to that part). My grandmother was super-talented at all kinds of needlework (I have two beautiful cross-stitch pieces in my house and my parents have a ton of her stuff in theirs) and it took her much longer than that just to do a baby-size quilt.

• Love 3
(edited)

If they do the show the same way now, then there is a sewing crew, and others that do things from one evening to the morning, and I think they have a crew they hire to fix things that are sloppy or dangerous.      

I am also guessing that Ty knew what size bed the homeowners had, and probably brought the quilt/bedspread with him already made.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Even worse is that Ty's "headboard" was two acoustic guitars hung on the wall swinging free. 

In earthquake country.  When I lived in southern California I never put anything over the bed that could fall on my head in an earthquake.

• Love 9

There is a short bit in the Parade this morning saying Ty has a book out.  I'm not sure if it's a memoir or an autobiography but it's about his "growth" from being an ADHD kid to carpenter/designer on TV.  ADHD might explain a lot of things.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mlp said:

There is a short bit in the Parade this morning saying Ty has a book out.  I'm not sure if it's a memoir or an autobiography but it's about his "growth" from being an ADHD kid to carpenter/designer on TV.  ADHD might explain a lot of things.

Life to the Extreme: How a Chaotic Kid Became America’s Favorite Carpenter, written with Travis Thrasher

Looks like a memoir type thing.

Also interesting: It's through Zondervan, which is a Christian publisher. I don't know that Ty ever struck me as a particularly religious type. (But he's from Georgia, so I guess that's not surprising, either.)

Just came out on the 14th. You can get a signed copy through B&N...

• Love 1
17 hours ago, friendperidot said:

And what is with Ty having to spell out some obvious word in the room? Last week, "Cuba" and this week "country." Just lazy and stupid. Does anybody put obvious words on their walls now? The last time that was cute was when Mary Richards had the big "M" on her wall.

Ty seems to be a VERY cliché designer.  Country HAS to mean hay goats and chickens, right?  But now I want someone to tell him that they want their room to be supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! I would LOVE to see how he gets all those letters in there.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

It continues to surprise me how Paige consistently states that Hildi is a good designer-in this episode she stated that Hildi was their most sophisicated designer. Wait, what?  Where's the proof?

As exhausted as the homeowners were and with the amount of homework both had, it was ridiculous that they forced them to do line dancing.  My thought was that they wanted the one set of homeowners to know that Hildi was do their home and they were looking for additional drama.

Ty's room was a mini-disaster in my mind.  Way too many cliche decorations.  The paint was nice, but I was shocked when he was surprised at what he found under the carpet-I was waiting for him to say something like a hardwood floor, but instead he was "surprised" by plywood...what did he think would be there?  Of course this is sub-flooring under the carpet.  I have no idea why they promoted him to designer.  I at least think Hildi is awful on purpose-his awfulness seems more accidental, like he really does think it's good.

Hildi, I've lived in Japan and that room was unrelated to being influenced by Japanese culture (sure, people may have gray walls there, because people in many, many countries have great walls...).  Flooring up one wall?  Not so much.  Her room just seemed like a hodgepodge of ideas.

And, let me add my vote to those who say if someone signs up for this show they should know what they're getting into.  Ten seasons-there's no surprise to be had regarding outrageous designs and damage to the homes.  I have no idea why Hildi took off all of the wood trim and then acted all surprised that it ruined the paint and drywall.  She's ruined enough rooms, why feign surprise?

I was going to delete this show from my dvr as it's just not that entertaining to me.  However, I noticed that next week there's a competition for someone to become a design assistant to Frank so I'll watch that as he truly is a nice man who really does try to do his best for the homeowners (albeit with many missteps along the way...).

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, Cyranetta said:

What demented focus group did they use that convinced them that the audience wants more hijinks and less makeover? It's bizarre and irritating.

At the very least, make the show a half hour.

• Love 6