Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: This Life We Choose [Season Finale]

ESS
  • Start Topic

(edited)
On 5/15/2019 at 3:21 AM, AgentRXS said:

I love Charisma but the hair color was doing her no favors, IMO. I felt like that was what really aged her.  I remember reading that she was supposed to be on an earlier episode, but the episode was nailed by Standards and Practices so they had to cut her role. Tim Minear loved her on Angel, so I'm not surprised that he was itching to get her to guest star. If Boreanaz wasn't already booked, I could see him getting the spin-off series instead of Lowe.

I remember reading that too. It was something about a sexual escapade gone wrong. Not surprised to see her turn up, although I didn't recognize her right away.

5 hours ago, luna1122 said:

50's, you mean.

Angela Bassett is 60, she'll be 61 in August. Hard to believe. I thought the dress would have worked much better without the straps, and the wedding just kind of came out of nowhere. I kind of wanted to see more people like the firehouse celebrating. But extremely happy that they're married.

Chim and Maddie just don't do much for me a couple. I can take them or leave them. But good for their fans, I guess?

I liked the two earlier calls, even with the grossness/shock factor. I like the creativity. The relationship scenes which I also love could stand to see more of that.

Poor Buck. Hope he's able to be back on the truck again, but then that would be another thing wrapped up in a nice pretty bow. I keep thinking back to Third Watch. Those characters were treated much harshly.

Edited by tvgoddess
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, tvgoddess said:

the wedding just kind of came out of nowhere. I kind of wanted to see more people like the firehouse celebrating.

When they cut to the scene in the firehouse with everyone together, I thought it was going to be for their wedding, rather than for Eddie becoming a full-fledged firefighter.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

She’s married to Danny Nucci, who plays the detective.  I haven’t compared their IMDBs but it seems like one of them pops up in whatever the other one is filming. 

I don’t think that was Athena’s bra. I think the dress was supposed to look like that, although I didn’t like it. 

I loved Athena's dress.   I think if it had been another color, it would have been wiser.  Maybe rose, maroon would be too dark perhaps.   I loved it on her.  She looked terrific, but then she always does

• Love 5
5 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

I remember reading that too. It was something about a sexual escapade gone wrong. Not surprised to see her turn up, although I didn't recognize her right away.

Angela Bassett is 60, she'll be 61 in August. Hard to believe. I thought the dress would have worked much better without the straps, and the wedding just kind of came out of nowhere. I kind of wanted to see more people like the firehouse celebrating. But extremely happy that they're married.

Chim and Maddie just don't do much for me a couple. I can take them or leave them. But good for their fans, I guess?

I liked the two earlier calls, even with the grossness/shock factor. I like the creativity. The relationship scenes which I also love could stand to see more of that.

Poor Buck. Hope he's able to be back on the truck again, but then that would be another thing wrapped up in a nice pretty bow. I keep thinking back to Third Watch. Those characters were treated much harshly.

Third Watch is one of my all time favorite series.  Wish they could settle the music lawsuit on the darn thing so we could get more seasons on video.  Maybe it has been resolved, I have not checked in a couple of years.   I guess this is why I like this show so much, great cast is a big plus for me

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, oceanview said:

I loved Athena's dress.   I think if it had been another color, it would have been wiser.  Maybe rose, maroon would be too dark perhaps.   I loved it on her.  She looked terrific, but then she always does

I misspoke a bit on my original  post.    I mean the black part only should be a different color.  The dress itself in white was perfect.   Had it been my dress, the black would have been pink, but that's just ME...….not Athena

• Love 1
15 hours ago, luvmylabs said:

I guess it's just me but I'm not feeling any chemistry between Bobby and Athena.  Just don't get the relationship at all.

It's not just you.  I never thought that they had any kind of chemistry.  They should have been just friends.  I guess since Angela Bassett and Peter Krause are "co-executive producers," they thought it would be cool if they had a relationship and then got married.  It isn't.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Ohwell said:

It's not just you.

Thirded.

In a vacuum, I like the idea that two actors over fifty get a romance storyline, but together, they're like watching paint dry.  And given that Athena sparks with everyone, I put the blame on Krause.

• Love 4
(edited)
21 hours ago, starri said:

Thirded.

In a vacuum, I like the idea that two actors over fifty get a romance storyline, but together, they're like watching paint dry.  And given that Athena sparks with everyone, I put the blame on Krause.

I totally love the idea of the two of them as a couple, so I ship them.(Bobena? Athobby? They don't even have a good ship name!) But when I'm real honest with myself, I can admit they are chemistry-challenged.

Unlike you, i actually think it's AB's fault. I have always thought it was hard for her to have a  believable love interest because she mostly plays so regal and correct. Kind of undercuts passion. Meryl Streep, Djimon Honsou, John Lithgow...all the same issue for me. They're completely believable as part of an established couple, just not the falling in love part.

Edited by talktoomuch
  • Love 1
On 5/14/2019 at 12:00 PM, SimoneS said:

9-1-1 is FOX's highest scripted drama in the key demo so the show was never in danger of being cancelled. The showrunner said in an interview posted on the media thread that he just wanted to end the season on a hopeful note even though Buck is having "an existential crisis." I am glad that he went in that direction.

That's why I say this show should have had a full season along with The Resident. The nearly 4-month break just to launch The Following was stupid, IMO.

• Love 1
On 5/13/2019 at 8:04 PM, SimoneS said:

Buck broke my heart. He is so afraid of never being firefighter again. I hope his decision to have the second surgery instead of waiting isn't a mistake. It was so nice seeing Carla again, visiting Buck in the hospital. I didn't recognize Buck's girlfriend with brown hair. These women sure head to the exit real quick when their firefighter boyfriends get injured, first Chimney's ex now this chick.

I hope that's not the case with Ali, and she learns to accept the danger Buck faces everyday. I think if she was to stick around, Buck may eventually marry her. If she doesn't, Buck becomes the Kelly Severide of 9-1-1. But it probably depends on if Tiffany Dupont wants to keep doing the recurring role, or if she wants to move on. Though I will say, considering we hadn't seen her character since early November, there's a good chance she probably does stay. If they weren't planning on her being there for a while, they would have just had her and Buck break up off screen.

6 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

That's why I say this show should have had a full season along with The Resident. The nearly 4-month break just to launch The Following was stupid, IMO.

I assume that the reduced episode count is due to Angela Bassett's schedule.  Rather like How to Get Away with Murder is structured so Viola Davis can do other things.

23 hours ago, talktoomuch said:

I totally love the idea of the two of them as a couple, so I ship them.(Bobena? Athobby? They don't even have a good ship name!)

Their ship name is generally referred to as #Bathena by the show on Twitter.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 5/16/2019 at 7:11 AM, DearEvette said:

I did not recognize her at all!  But then again her tv husband was so distracting.  I swear he looked like a human version of The Cowardly Lion.

He totally reminded me of Dog the Bounty Hunter.

I loved reading the comments about Buck and Eddie on the influencer's website.

I know I've said it before, but JLH really needs to part her hair on the side instead of straight down the middle.

I didn't know they were doing a 911 Texas version. I'll watch anything with Rob Lowe!

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 4
On 5/19/2019 at 1:09 PM, Ohwell said:

It's not just you.  I never thought that they had any kind of chemistry.  They should have been just friends.  I guess since Angela Bassett and Peter Krause are "co-executive producers," they thought it would be cool if they had a relationship and then got married.  It isn't.

I agree ! I like them as friends but try as I might I see no chemistry between these two at all romantically and actually cringe watching them in any kissing scene ! 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/16/2019 at 8:03 AM, luna1122 said:

Peter Kraus' evolution from young hot guy on SFU (I think they used to call him trapezoid butt on MBTV/TWOP? RIP TWOP) to "Daddy" makes me feel old, though. 

I mean, he wasn't THAT young on Six Feet Under- he did the show in his mid/late 30's. Of course, from my perspective, I was a teenager when that show ran so a 35-year old dude isn't going to seem young to 15-year old me.

It's also funny to see Charisma Carpenter and remember, "Oh yeah, she was 10 years older than her Buffy character. It shows now." I'm cutting her some slack- the woman is pushing 50.

On the reverse side, it's funny to see Oliver Stark because by t.v. standards, he could still pull off T.V. teen. In fact, when I chanced upon this show in season 1, I honestly thought he was playing Connie Britton and Doug Savant's hunky 25-year old teenaged son. It's kind of weird to see a 20-something guy with a babyface actually playing his age instead of on the CW or Freeform as a "16"-year old.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
On 5/14/2019 at 3:14 PM, Moose135 said:

He used the same realtor who found the Friends cast their huge Manhattan apartments.

Oh, same here! Just the close up of her getting ready to pop the zit had me looking away.  We really don't need shots like that, especially with a big-screen TV!

I had no clue until I read it here.  I forgot that it was a flash-back when we saw the original story.

I know it's for dramatic purposes and all, but twice in this episode, and a few other times this season (at least once that I remember from Manifest) the police bomb squad is working on a suspected explosive device - and even a kid wearing a bomb vest, and they let random people way too close to the scene.  When that kid was walking around in the bomb vest, they should have moved that crowd back about 2 blocks, not a hundred feet away near the fire trucks.  Same with the exploding tuna fish at the school - get those kids the hell away from there.

And while it did make for a touching part of the story, I didn't get why they needed the crowd to help lift the ladder truck.  Don't they have big power tools on the engine to help with that stuff? And weren't there about 87 cops standing around after they arrested the kid?  I don't understand why Chim was radioing in for more help when he had all of that at his disposal.

I actually hated the rescue. They've got two fire trucks, both of which carry equipment (air bags, jacks, cribbing) which would have been far more realistic than having a hundred people lift the truck. There's no way on earth that human power alone lifted a 60,000 pound ladder truck.