Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: The Further Adventures

(edited)

WOW! Didn't see that coming.

I'm guessing with Marcus going to The Marshal Service, they decided to write Gregson out so there won't be a need for jumping back and forth between NY and London. It looks as if Gregson won't make it.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

I totally squee'd over the guest cast for this episode! Love Tamsin Greig - I still remember her from a short-lived British show called "Love Soup," and of course, Episodes.

Saffron Burrows and Ophelia Lovibond, AND Tara Summers

Boston Legal and Episodes alumni.

• Love 3

I was curious about the name of the DCI, so I looked it up.  From the wiki page about Sherlock Holmes' minor characters:

Inspector Athelney Jones is a Scotland Yard detective who appears in The Sign of the Four. He arrests the entire household of Bartholomew Sholto, including his brother and servants, on suspicion of his murder, but is forced to release all but one of them, much to his own embarrassment.

Jones makes an appearance in the third series of BBC Radio 4's The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, in the episode "The Thirteen Watches".

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, possibilities said:

I am really hung up on the hair on this show, even though I realize it's a ridiculous thing to care about. But just to get it off my mind, I don't like Joan's dye job, I think Marcus' hair calls attention to how short he is, because it's too tall and looks like he's trying to hide that, and I can live with Kitty's purple ends, but only because I missed her so much and was so happy to see her.

Hah! I'm hung up on all of the hair stuff too, and had exactly the same thoughts about Marcus's hair (and others who do the same), but I did actually like Kitty's purple ends. Plus, Kitty's purple speaks to this exchange: 

[KITTY] So when are you gonna tell Sherlock? 
[JOAN] Tell him what? 
[KITTY] That you aren't happy in London.
[JOAN] I didn't say I wasn't happy. I just said I was having a problem at work.
[KITTY] Then explain the hair.
[JOAN] W-What? 
[KITTY] I love it, don't get me wrong. But I know a woman looking to shake things up when I see one.

I don't think we are supposed to like it, or else the hair 'n' makeup folks would've toned down the orange-y brass. And judging by the comments here, most don't care for the blond.
I think Kitty's comments are on point. 
Even back on the OG Roswell show threads (1999-2002), we used to expound on the symbolism of Liz's hair; I think straight meant she was at peace with the world and wavy the opposite, heh.

10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

My gut tells me Gregson will die and then Hannah's secret will be exposed and Sherlock will be off the hook. 

The only problem is that Sherlock just said he prefers London, so it seems like he and Watson might be destined to part ways by the end of the season. That would be sad. 

Yes, especially sad because last season's finale with the reveal of them in adjoining apartments was so beautiful and fitting of a series ending.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

I was SO excited to see Elementary pop up on my PVR, that I might have shrieked. I LOVE this show so much. It is really, really, special.

On 5/24/2019 at 1:49 PM, iMonrey said:

Some quick Googling tells me there's nothing more to Lucy Liu's hair color change than a simple desire on her part to try something different. 

I wonder how they got Clyde through customs. Can you really bring a turtle into England from America?

Love Tamsin Greig. I was a big fan of Episodes.

I was sure that the blonde was a wig, and I really hope it is, because I don't like it at all. LL is so gorgeous and this hair color does nothing for her at all.

I also wondered how they got Clyde into the UK.

I also loved Episodes and Tamsin Grieg was a big part of that love.

Kitty was a nice surprise and little Archie is adorable. 

So happy that this show is back!

Edited by aemom
Typos
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, preeya said:

I'm guessing with Marcus going to The Marshal Service, they decided to write Gregson out so there won't be a need for jumping back and forth between NY and London. It looks as if Gregson won't make it.

I doubt that.  Figure the Captain's shooting will be the "one last case to solve" that (somehow) brings Sherlock and Joan back to NYC.  Also, Marcus is still a cop and hasn't quite joined the Marshall's service yet, so he'll hang around until the end of this last season.

• Love 5
On 5/23/2019 at 8:59 PM, Twilight Man said:

I knew it pinged for me - I'd simply forgotten the other Sherlock (which I try to do)

On 5/23/2019 at 11:41 PM, possibilities said:

I was annoyed that Joan didn't even try to talk to the boss about the "Doc" thing. Maybe she doesn't mean it as an insult. I mean, it's unprofessional and she should knock it off, but people have been called worse things. She might think it's an honorific, not a slur.

When I hear Tamsin say "Doc" I filled in "Doc Watson" which made me laugh, and seemed kind of a tribute to Doc Watson.

19 hours ago, johntfs said:

This article from 2017 in USA Today notes that there has been something of a rise in acid attacks recently:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/04/27/acid-attacks-rise-united-kingdom/100739780/

Oh, that's disappointing. I was hoping they were taking the milkshake attacks and making them more menacing - sad to hear it's real.

14 hours ago, JayDub said:

It's plots are to complex for todays TV viewing crowd. Not enough shit being blown up, gun fights and car chases.

I'd say it's more like the networks think complex story lines aren't for today's television viewing crowd. Whereas on streaming platforms, particularly Prime and Netflix, I've watched a number of shows with have incredibly complex plots.

• Love 5

Tamsin Greig could be Emma Thompson's doppelgänger. Her voice and general look is so similar!

Whenever Joan and/or Sherlock were in 221A/B Baker Street, I had to remind myself they were in London, because those interiors were so similar to the NYC brownstone.

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Tamsin Greig could be Emma Thompson's doppelgänger. Her voice and general look is so similar!

Whenever Joan and/or Sherlock were in 221A/B Baker Street, I had to remind myself they were in London, because those interiors were so similar to the NYC brownstone.

Yes and yes! I had exactly the same thoughts.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, preeya said:

I thought the setup for the rest of the season was clear. Marcus will delay his departure to the Marshal service and step in as acting precinct caption while Gregson is recovering and Joan and Sherlock will return to New York to solve the attempted murder. The fact that it was mentioned several times that Marcus only has a few more days on the force makes it clear that he isn't going anywhere.

48 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Yeah, i was pretty obvious they reused the same sets.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, preeya said:

Boston Legal and Episodes alumni.

I was hoping that Burrows and Summers would have a scene together, because it was Summers' BL character who outed Burrows as an Englishwoman.

I had a hard time buying Joan's belief that the DCI didn't like her simply because of the "Doc" thing. But it might just be that I loved "Beverly" and have a hard time seeing Greig as unlikeable!

• Love 3

Man, I wish Elementary producers would change their minds and bring it back in 2020.

Or have another program or production with Lucy and Jonny.  These two are a joy to watch. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, orza said:

I thought the setup for the rest of the season was clear. Marcus will delay his departure to the Marshal service and step in as acting precinct caption while Gregson is recovering

Marcus getting a temporary promotion would ruffle a lot of union feathers....He is a Senior Detective, but not a Lieutenant.  There must be at least one Lt. in the precinct that is next in chain of command.

• Love 4

Did I miss something? The case seemed to go from "The victim hasn't posted on Instagram for a couple of months." to "We've arrested the killer plastic surgeon, we somehow found out he gave her the wrong surgery and he murdered her because he didn't want to use his malpractice insurance for reasons." It was super rushed and kind of shallow for the premiere case of the week. There was no real investigation or clue trail, just that single red herring of her magazine mogul mother, which was quickly dismissed and never tied back into the mystery in any way.

We needed a scene or two of Joan comparing morgue photos of the victim to her previous IG pictures and noticing the difference in her facial structure, going to the surgeon's office to find the victim's medical records and maybe proof that he was about to lose his medical license for other reasons (or some other motive, like the victim discovered he was selling prescriptions or was giving plastic surgery to criminals), tracking the mo-ped or tire tracks down to a known associate of the doctor (it would've been a good parallel if the doctor traded plastic surgery for the acid attack with another person, much like the trade off Marcus dealt with in NY), anything that would've felt like Sherlock and Watson had stepped on a few stones to get to the ultimate conclusion, and maybe make that conclusion more interesting and satisfying.

I'd rather they not dredge up the ridiculousness of last season's plot contrivances, with the FBI's "airtight case" that petite, broken-ribbed Watson beat a much larger, experienced serial killer to death and then dumped his body in a dumpster without any help - then, Gregson's anger at Sherlock for somehow "making his daughter" a killer. I was looking forward to a fresh start in London with the dynamic duo, not rehashing that dumb drama. Marcus also took some huge leaps of logic with "Sherlock took the fall for a crime Joan was being wrongfully persecuted and you weren't surprised, ergo your daughter did it." Anybody who knew Sherlock and Joan probably wouldn't actually be surprised by that.

• Love 2
On 5/23/2019 at 11:15 PM, MerBearHou said:

Did I recognize the doctor as being in Sixth Sense??

Actually in the Sixth Sense the doctor was a director cameo by M. Night Shyamalan.

23 hours ago, iMonrey said:

What was the story behind Kitty's son? Who's the father? I can't remember any of that.

Kitty had a short relationship with an old friend that led to Archie.  They are not currently together.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

I had a hard time buying Joan's belief that the DCI didn't like her simply because of the "Doc" thing. But it might just be that I loved "Beverly" and have a hard time seeing Greig as unlikeable!

As Sherlock acknowledged the character was an Ameri-phobe.  Joan appeared to take her being called "Doc" as a sign of disrespect by the DCI because she knew it bothered Joan.  It seemed not so much an acknowledgement of Joan's achievement but rather her "failure" to continue to be a practicing physician.

Which all lead me to wonder about why Sherlock introduces Joan as Ms. Watson rather than Dr. Watson.  She was keeping up her license, according to an episode a while ago.  She could be called doctor but she prefers not to be called that?

(edited)
26 minutes ago, jaigurudeva said:

Did I miss something? The case seemed to go from "The victim hasn't posted on Instagram for a couple of months." to "We've arrested the killer plastic surgeon, we somehow found out he gave her the wrong surgery and he murdered her because he didn't want to use his malpractice insurance for reasons." It was super rushed and kind of shallow for the premiere case of the week. There was no real investigation or clue trail, just that single red herring of her magazine mogul mother, which was quickly dismissed and never tied back into the mystery in any way.

Joan found the last time the victim had posted on Instagram, and it was a rare photo in which her face did not show. But it did show a hotel top poolside that Sherlock recognized. From there it went to Sherlock finding a bartender who'd been there and had seen that she'd had surgery on her face. Though they didn't state it directly, from there they used her the National Insurance medical number, found out where she had the surgery and who did it, and then posited he'd done the wrong surgery (I missed how they figured that out). If she healed up properly, I think she would have noticed she didn't get the surgery she asked for (the bags under her eyes would still be there). And then his reputation and perhaps license would be in the toilet.

5 minutes ago, elle said:

As Sherlock acknowledged the character was an Ameri-phobe.  Joan appeared to take her being called "Doc" as a sign of disrespect by the DCI because she knew it bothered Joan.  It seemed not so much an acknowledgement of Joan's achievement but rather her "failure" to continue to be a practicing physician.

Which all lead me to wonder about why Sherlock introduces Joan as Ms. Watson rather than Dr. Watson.  She was keeping up her license, according to an episode a while ago.  She could be called doctor but she prefers not to be called that?

Certainly the Ameri-phobe statements were there, and I may have missed this, but had the DCI been informed that Joan preferred a different form of address? If she had, then it was definitely a sign of disrespect, otherwise it's something Joan should have addressed directly, consultant or not.

She said in this episode that she "used to be a doctor" which surprised me somewhat, as I expected "I am a doctor." Maybe something's changed?

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, elle said:

In the UK, a surgeon like Joan would be called Ms Watson. They do not get the Dr title since surgery was an apprenticeship up until the 19th century. Not sure if the writers know this, but this is fairly common in the UK.

As for Joan saying she use to be a doctor, I took it to mean that she is no longer practicing but it doesn’t mean she doesn’t have her license. However, she may not have done the necessary work and study to transfer her credentials to the UK. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Athena said:

In the UK, a surgeon like Joan would be called Ms Watson. They do not get the Dr title since it surgery was an apprenticeship up until the 19th century. Not sure if the writers know this, but this is fairly common in the UK.

As for Joan saying she use to be a doctor, I took it to mean that she is no longer practicing but it doesn’t mean she doesn’t have her license. However, she may not have done the necessary work and study to transfer her credentials to the UK. 

Interesting, I did not know doctors do not use the Dr title (my only experience with the title that I recall is Doc Martin)

After my initial surprise, I wrote it off to that same meaning - that she was no longer practicing. But I still thought "I am a doctor" would have been a stronger statement with the arrogant doctor. But then, I like "gotcha" statements.

14 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Interesting, I did not know doctors do not use the Dr title

"Doctors" (i.e. physicians) did, since physicians went to medical school and got a doctorate. Surgeons (as mentioned above) did not get a doctorate, they had an apprenticeship, and therefore could not (should not) be addressed as "Doctor". I know this from a discussion in the "Great British Bake-Off" thread. Obviously, times have changed, but the practice of addressing surgeons as Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms must remain.

• Love 2

It's taken me a couple days to post since I'm still trying to recover from the suggestion that there is an inappropriate hour to eat ice cream.  In my world, ice cream (as well as pizza, a grilled cheese sandwich, any type of pie but especially blueberry or cherry, and a cup of coffee) may be consumed at any time during the day or night.  

Put me in the No column for Joan's hair - much too harsh for her.  I liked Kitty's hair though.

I don't know which I want more, the brownstone or 221B.  The latter seems more polished, more like a home rather than a home/office, which is perhaps fitting since it is what Sherlock considers his primary residence.  I wonder if he keeps bees on the roof. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, aemom said:

was sure that the blonde was a wig, and I really hope it is,

Alas, no, it's not a wig: popsugar.com/beauty/Lucy-Liu-Blond-Hair-Colorist-Interview-44876194

And, to the colorist in the interview, I say: the emperor had no clothes any more than Lucy's hair looks good.

The difference is that rather than just one little boy willing to speak up (and say that the emperor had no clothes) we fans of LL seem to be making a lot of noise. 

I wonder how a silvery color or platinum might look on her (if she wants to go light)?

• Love 1

Joan should take it upon herself to complain to the DCI that she (Joan) doesn't want to be called Doc. Sherlock told J he was going to speak with the DCI& J was all obsequious about it. Ugh---not her usual take charge self. She could have said, "no, leave it to me. It's my issue."

So back to the story. Did the model really throw herself down the elevator shaft or did the plastic surgeon do that somehow?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Alas, no, it's not a wig: popsugar.com/beauty/Lucy-Liu-Blond-Hair-Colorist-Interview-44876194

And, to the colorist in the interview, I say: the emperor had no clothes any more than Lucy's hair looks good.

The difference is that rather than just one little boy willing to speak up (and say that the emperor had no clothes) we fans of LL seem to be making a lot of noise. 

I wonder how a silvery color or platinum might look on her (if she wants to go light)?

Not a wig! Wow!

I understand that some women go lighter because it's much easier to maintain the greys that way.

But no, just no, that blonde shade does not work for her at all.

5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Joan found the last time the victim had posted on Instagram, and it was a rare photo in which her face did not show. But it did show a hotel top poolside that Sherlock recognized. From there it went to Sherlock finding a bartender who'd been there and had seen that she'd had surgery on her face. Though they didn't state it directly, from there they used her the National Insurance medical number, found out where she had the surgery and who did it, and then posited he'd done the wrong surgery (I missed how they figured that out). If she healed up properly, I think she would have noticed she didn't get the surgery she asked for (the bags under her eyes would still be there). And then his reputation and perhaps license would be in the toilet.

Yeah, I got all that, and it was a quite a leap to go from, "She had plastic surgery on her face," to "She got the wrong sort of plastic surgery, it was the doctor's fault, and he murdered her because of it" without much of a clue trail for the audience to follow. They just gave a bunch of info-dumping expositional dialogue during the interrogation about how they jumped to these conclusions, which is lazy. Plus, the motive just isn't there. The patient hadn't even found out herself that she'd had the wrong surgery, so there's no way to know if she would go public with his negligence and ruin his reputation; as an Instagram influencer/model who tried to keep her surgery under wraps for months, it's doubtful she'd want it becoming public news.

Malpractice insurance is specifically for things like this, as up to 10% of hospital inpatient admissions result in a medical error. Yet, less than 2% reach a full lawsuit in the UK, as most are covered with insurance settlements. Human error is accounted for in the medical field, and most doctors can carry on practicing after several paid malpractice claims. That's why I suggested adding indications of an ulterior, possibly more criminal motive, which would've made the rash, homicidal actions of the doctor more believable.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Calvada said:

It's taken me a couple days to post since I'm still trying to recover from the suggestion that there is an inappropriate hour to eat ice cream. 

Ha! When she said that, I yelled, "It's not alcohol!"

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, rainsmom said:
2 hours ago, Calvada said:

It's taken me a couple days to post since I'm still trying to recover from the suggestion that there is an inappropriate hour to eat ice cream. 

Ha! When she said that, I yelled, "It's not alcohol!"

You mean there's an inappropriate hour for alcohol? Well, damn.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Certainly the Ameri-phobe statements were there, and I may have missed this, but had the DCI been informed that Joan preferred a different form of address? If she had, then it was definitely a sign of disrespect, otherwise it's something Joan should have addressed directly, consultant or not.

She said in this episode that she "used to be a doctor" which surprised me somewhat, as I expected "I am a doctor." Maybe something's changed?

I agree that Joan should directly address the DCI to tell her to cut it out, should have really before a year had passed.

I missed that difference in Joan's statement.  

6 hours ago, Athena said:

In the UK, a surgeon like Joan would be called Ms Watson. They do not get the Dr title since surgery was an apprenticeship up until the 19th century. Not sure if the writers know this, but this is fairly common in the UK.

After reading this I was put in mind of the introduction of Elizabeth Corday on E/R. She makes reference to this jokingly adding she would not get very far there being called Miss.

I was asking why Sherlock introduced Joan as Ms. Watson rather than Dr.  in earlier episodes. Really, I should know that it is because that is how she prefers it.  Joan does not refer to herself as Dr. 

As far as Joan missing NY, there is nothing preventing her from returning, right?  I know a visit is not the same as living in a place, but do we know if she had gone back during the past year? I wonder if her mother's health will come up this season.

ETA: Good points, jaigurudeva!

Agreed, Rhys, Joan should be the one to talk to the DCI. We have not seen her before be unwilling to speak up. I hope it was just this episode.

There was no indication that the plastic surgeon killed the model. I immediately thought we would find out that the accident was no accident, but they didn't go that way this time.

Edited by elle
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, jaigurudeva said:

The patient hadn't even found out herself that she'd had the wrong surgery, so there's no way to know if she would go public with his negligence and ruin his reputation; as an Instagram influencer/model who tried to keep her surgery under wraps for months, it's doubtful she'd want it becoming public news.

She might have even thought she looked better after the nose job. The doctor didn't even give her a chance to be disappointed about his mistake.

• Love 2

I'm not sure if the DCI means to be condescending by calling Joan "Doc," or just isn't aware that it's unwelcome.  However, she did make a slighting comment about resorting to using guns as a critique of Americans.  It's a stretch, but perhaps she's trying to emphasize her gunslinger impression of Americans by linking "Doc" Watson to Doc Holiday.

Tamsin Grieg is good at riding the line between friendly and irksome.  She was good as Miss Bates in a miniseries of Emma a few years ago; actually, Johnny Lee Miller was also in that.

1 hour ago, jaigurudeva said:

Malpractice insurance is specifically for things like this, as up to 10% of hospital inpatient admissions result in a medical error.

That's disconcerting.  I would have hoped for more than A-.

46 minutes ago, MisterGlass said:

Tamsin Grieg is good at riding the line between friendly and irksome.  She was good as Miss Bates in a miniseries of Emma a few years ago; actually, Johnny Lee Miller was also in that.

Ha! Can't believe I forgot that connection! That was a pretty good PBS mini. JLM was Mr. Knightley. 

(edited)
11 hours ago, possibilities said:

Performing the entirely wrong surgery is more than a little boo boo, though. It's like no one in the operating room was paying any attention at all!

When I had my chemo port removed, the 2 nurses were standing off to the side chatting and gossiping. Nobody noticed that instead of having a table on wheels for the doctor to put his equipment on, he just put the tray on my stomach. 

But what bugged me about the killer acid-attacker is that he went from being a plastic surgeon--who is someone who ostensibly helps people feel better about themselves and their appearances--to someone who did something that belies all the good work he had ever done by horribly disfiguring her beyond repair. And we didn't see any reason for him to mentally snap like that. Like @jaigurudeva said:

19 hours ago, jaigurudeva said:

he gave her the wrong surgery and he murdered her because he didn't want to use his malpractice insurance for reasons

I realize this is a common murder mystery trope (that the doer is a nice guy who went bad for no good reason), and it's supposed to make it more challenging for the detectives and the audience to guess the perp, but I am always annoyed by the irrationality of it.

Edited by shapeshifter
The surgeon was not technically a killer.
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, elle said:

Agreed, Rhys, Joan should be the one to talk to the DCI. We have not seen her before be unwilling to speak up. I hope it was just this episode.

I don't recall exactly what line(s) made me think this, but I was under the impression part of why Joan knew it to be an insult is because she has directly asked not to be called that.

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Performing the entirely wrong surgery is more than a little boo boo, though. It's like no one in the operating room was paying any attention at all!

And in theory it should be difficult. I recently had surgery and no less than five separate people, including the surgeon, verbally confirmed outloud and in front of at least one witness exactly what surgery I was there for. They asked me to say out loud the procedure name; then after I said an abridged/layman's version of the name they'd repeat the full thing, and then I had to confirm outloud again that were correct (or once they gave me the full name first and then I had to say in my own words in plain English what I was getting in response). Basically every person who was going to be in the operating room, not just the primary surgeon, introduced themselves to me before it started and went through this sequence. All but one happened in the holding area. The final one being the anesthesiologist who asked it in the operating room, in front of everyone, so all could hear the exchange, before putting me under.

I realize the process may not be quite to stringent everywhere, but my understanding is there are checklists specifically to prevent this type of error so it's especially egregious not just because, well yeah, doing the whole wrong surgery is a big fuck up, but because in theory there are multiple safeguards in place.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I'd say it's more like the networks think complex story lines aren't for today's television viewing crowd. Whereas on streaming platforms, particularly Prime and Netflix, I've watched a number of shows with have incredibly complex plots.

Many complex was not the right word for me to  use. I don't think there are enough discerning adults to appreciate the nuances of Elementary.

No this show generally has one story line, you don't have to deal with a lot of useless subplots and minor characters that add nothing to the episode.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I don't recall exactly what line(s) made me think this, but I was under the impression part of why Joan knew it to be an insult is because she has directly asked not to be called that.

And in theory it should be difficult. I recently had surgery and no less than five separate people, including the surgeon, verbally confirmed outloud and in front of at least one witness exactly what surgery I was there for. They asked me to say out loud the procedure name; then after I said an abridged/layman's version of the name they'd repeat the full thing, and then I had to confirm outloud again that were correct (or once they gave me the full name first and then I had to say in my own words in plain English what I was getting in response). Basically every person who was going to be in the operating room, not just the primary surgeon, introduced themselves to me before it started and went through this sequence. All but one happened in the holding area. The final one being the anesthesiologist who asked it in the operating room, in front of everyone, so all could hear the exchange, before putting me under.

I realize the process may not be quite to stringent everywhere, but my understanding is there are checklists specifically to prevent this type of error so it's especially egregious not just because, well yeah, doing the whole wrong surgery is a big fuck up, but because in theory there are multiple safeguards in place.

When I had bunion surgery 7 years ago, they were several confirmations about which toe was to be operated on. They even marked it with a Sharpie. So I was a little taken aback, too, that such an error could have occurred even though I had heard of such mishaps occurring. Perhaps he didn't go through checklist and really didn't want it to come out that he was so lax and not following standard procedure. I did appreciate that Watson explained that the victim would not have known immediately because the after care and post surgery pain would be similar. It wouldn't be until she really looked after the swelling went down that she would know. I wonder if he scarred her so he could "rescue" her and fix her since he screwed up? Also, it was a way to erase, effectively, what he did without killing her. So when she did jump he was shocked? How difficult is it jump into a shaft, though. That seems dang near impossible  to do.

I was so pleased to see that Joan and Sherlock hadn't forgotten about Marcus and his career advancement. And I was ticked when Gregson was nudging him to stay. Dude, cut it out. Let him pursue these opportunities. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, frenchtoast said:

I wonder if he scarred her so he could "rescue" her and fix her since he screwed up? Also, it was a way to erase, effectively, what he did without killing her. 

I wonder if this^ was the original plot the writers were kicking around, but making it an acid attack meant that she could never be "fixed," unless the plastic surgeon maybe diluted the acid--which could have been an interesting and--I think--more believable clue for Joan to notice.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Calvada said:

Put me in the No column for Joan's hair - much too harsh for her.  I liked Kitty's hair though.

I don't know which I want more, the brownstone or 221B.  The latter seems more polished, more like a home rather than a home/office, which is perhaps fitting since it is what Sherlock considers his primary residence.  I wonder if he keeps bees on the roof. 

I loved seeing Kitty and Archie again and while Kitty is just as pretty as I remember and hair looks adorable with the purple color, Joan's blonde hair has thrown me off--I still think she's awesome and her outfits are still on point but the color is not a good look, 

Now onto the Holmes/Watson side by side flats--they are obviously doing very well financially which is great but I do miss the NYC brownstone.  I also liked the references to original ACD stories:  Boscombe Valley and Abbey Grange--too cool.

Re: Gregson, how can he be okay with his daughter running around free, knowing she was capable of cold blooded murder?  And she knows how smart Sherlock and Joan are, they would have caught Michael and put him away. 

I'm just glad this fabulous show is back and I can't wait to see how things end.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

Re: Gregson, how can he be okay with his daughter running around free, knowing she was capable of cold blooded murder?  And she knows how smart Sherlock and Joan are, they would have caught Michael and put him away.

I think it's a combination of two things: 1) she's his daughter and 2)the "victim" was a serial killer and in the words of some old tv or movie shows "needed killin'" I'm not sure he's actually okay with it, he's just not going to give his daughter up. We haven't seen enough in this episode to know how he's dealing with it in terms of her - just in terms of Sherlock and Joan. And he's not dealing with that very well at all, despite the fact that they know, didn't give her up when Joan was accused, and went into exile because of it.

• Love 4

Maybe Clyde stowed away in a diplomatic shipment?  Though when my daughter emigrated to the UK, she took a trip to Paris first, where her dog visited a French vet and got French documentation, enabling her to get into England with no problem.  (So I'm sure there are ways, even without the Holmes resources.) 

Tamsin Greig!!!!!!! Squeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!! I almost don't want H&W to go back to NYC because I love Tamsin so much. But I also love Aidan Quinn, so we have to find out what happened to Gregson.

So glad the show is back, even though it's a short final season. 

8 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

Also, it was a way to erase, effectively, what he did without killing her. So when she did jump he was shocked? How difficult is it jump into a shaft, though. That seems dang near impossible  to do.

The lift shaft was having maintenance done to it.  We saw it was being repaired during the first scene at the hospital.  Presumably the doors had been left open - but blocked - and she just walked into it. 

I did wonder at first whether it had been the killer come back to finish the job. 

5 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

How did I miss Clyde?!? Which scene so I can try to YouTube it!

Another poster pointed me to the first scene at 221B where we see the terrarium when Holmes confronts the burglar, No Clyde. However, towards the end when the bartender is making the drinks, you can see Clyde in the terrarium. 

1 hour ago, Loandbehold said:
7 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

How did I miss Clyde?!? Which scene so I can try to YouTube it!

Another poster pointed me to the first scene at 221B where we see the terrarium when Holmes confronts the burglar, No Clyde. However, towards the end when the bartender is making the drinks, you can see Clyde in the terrarium

Thank you. I missed Clyde too.

image.jpeg

I  was hoping the Captain's daughter would be the one to get shot (because she's a lousy police officer) and would confess on her deathbed, thereby allowing Sherlock and Joan to return to NY and eliminating a really stupid plotline.

Don't like the hair either. Brassy is generally what happens because black hair is notoriously difficult to bring up to blonde.

• Love 3

Zzzzz.…. there's a reason I don't watch British cop shows.  They're so boring!  I don't know if it's the actors or what, but they're just so dull.  And this was dull.  I hope it picks up.