Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E06: The Iron Throne

Message added by Athena

No Book Talk. AT ALL.

• Start Topic

So, beginning of the next sequel, Jon has Sam executed for fathering a child with Gilly. Wait, no, what? 

#NeverReleasedFromNightsWatch #OathSaysShallFatherNoChild

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
32 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

That is why I am so frustrated with Tyrion's ending. Dany WAS listening to him. She WAS committed to not being Queen of Ashes.

But then Tyrion and Varys both betrayed her after Tyrion kept giving her crappy advice to protect his sister. Dany had good reason to become paranoid and isolated and trust only herself and her own instincts. Everyone WAS really out to get her, and listening to other people only got her friends and allies killed. So while yes, only Dany is to blame for her decisions, Tyrion is to blame for eroding trust with and isolating a ruler with dragons. That isn't someone who should be rewarded with more responsibility and power for other people's lives.

And everything with Brienne was sweet, but Jamie and Cersei both got far nicer endings than they deserved. They are the two who started this whole chaos because of their incestuous, deceitful love and willingness to harm children.

The gender and racial/xenophobia representational issues in the show also ended up  infuriating.

ETA: Forgot to add that I'm super disappointed the show went the bizarre King Bran route rather than dissolving the Seven Kingdoms. 

Exactly this. The pacing was all wrong, bc they needed to keep Dany reasonable enough to not make Jon look bad for following her around like a puppy. But they also needed her to go over the top tyrant immediately so Jon looks good for promptly murdering her. The producer's obsession with making Jon into naive boy scout who means no wrong really screwed up the plot.

I literally started laughing at the sudden desaturation and staging to make Dany look like every Sith/Nazi stereotype while she gave her "conquer the world" speech. And the fact that everyone and their mother apparently knows Tyrion & Jon are traitors yet they are allowed to wander to and fro however they wish. Grey Worm and the Unsullied should have closed ranks on Jon immediately when he tried to go after Dany. Kylo Ren, I mean Dany, offering to rule the multiverse together with Jon was so cheesy and makes no sense as Jon couldn't even fake getting it up just last episode. They truly made her into an unhinged marionette, making nonsensical and out-of-character decisions left and right. 

Wow, they really picked the most useless person in Westeros to make king. They'll be conquered in under a century, while pop pop Bran uselessly watches his time traveling showtunes.

Also wtf happened to Meera Reed? She drug his ass across the entire North and she got...an awkward sendoff and probable death to white walkers? At this point I assume Bran is actually Emperor Palpatine.

Edited by rozen
  • Love 24

geez, FDR was in a wheelchair too but they didn't call him 'Frankie the Feeble' every time he entered a room

Getting OT but the little people never saw FDR enter a room in a wheelchair.  Photos were taken after he was either propped up standing or already seated.

To make it equivalent, Bran being anything but totally mobil would come as a surprise to all but his closest allies and advisors.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, JunebugWA said:

I am surprised Drogon didn't burn the whole scheming group of them for killing his mother - Jon, Tyrion, Bran, Sansa, etc.  He could have burned them all. 

THIS. And also that the Dothraki and Unsullied didn't wreak some serious havoc at the death of their Queen. 

16 minutes ago, Tesla said:

And I must have missed what happened to the dothraki.   Did they just shrug after Dany died and fuck off into the sea? 

Those guys just seem to expand and contract based on script convenience.

• Love 11
(edited)

I'm so sad for all the actors who act their heart out in this episode. There was still so much wrong.

Jon is like "I have to talk to Dany about executing the lanisters!... in 10 hours when all of them are dead". Seriously, greyworm got there first, after executing a bunch of people and Jon didn't even talk to Dany then.

Peter Dinklage acted like a champ when Tyrion found Cersei and Jamie, but I couldn't stop laughing because of this meme: 1s5h3fulrly21.jpg

Danys speach made no sense. She must know that randomly killing a cities worth of innocent people isn't freeing them. D&D seem to be of the opinion that "well, she's crazy she doesn't have to make sense, doy!", but that's not how that works. Crazy people also make logical (to them) decisions, it's just that their data which they base these decisions on is bad.

Tyrions speech to Jon makes no sense either. First of all, Dany didn't kill al those evil people, she kept most of the slavers and royals alive. Second, even if she did kill all those evil people, it still wouldn't track with burning a city full of innocents. Also he mentions "did she sound like she was done with war?"... I'm 99% sure Jon doesn't speak valyrian, so how would he know what she did sound like?

Jon stabbing Dany is boring. Yes, it's within his character to do so, but we had so much out of character stuff, I would have taken mad king and queen at this point. At least that would have been fun. Also where was Arya for all this hours it took Jon to make up his mind? Do you really mean to tell me she wouldn't have snuck to wherever Dany was and stabbed her a few times. She is supernatural assasine girl, who hates people who kill innocents. She would have killed Dany so fast, the flash would look like a snail in comparison.

Bran as king is another boring option, but oh well. Also isn't he going to live forever as the three eyed raven? Good luck electing your next king, when the current one never croaks.

So Sansa can just declare "the north will be independant", get that granted and none of the other Lords says "yeeah, we too!". Suuuuuuure...

The nights watch makes no sense. The north isn't in the seven/six kingdoms anymore, so how/why would their prisoners be sent there? Also who would fund a now completely useless institution?

Arya's character still makes no sense. She recently learned the value of family but now she fucks off to the west, forever it seems. Seemingly for no reason. I mean how long can such an expedition take? Like five years max, I'd say. Unless she expects to die, but it didn't seem that way.

Overall a crappy end to a crappy season.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 14
1 minute ago, BitterApple said:

Random observation: 

Dany took a knife to the stomach and died in under twenty seconds. Jaime took several stab wounds to major organs and managed to hike up flights of stairs to grab Cersei, descend back down those same flights of stairs to the basement and remain on his feet until the ceiling collapsed. 

LOL. Jon stabbed her in the heart. But I totally see your point. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
Just now, ShellsandCheese said:

LOL. Jon stabbed her in the heart. But I totally see your point. 

Did he? It looked like the knife was below her ribcage when she was lying on the ground. Shows how much I was paying attention, lol.

3 minutes ago, seawind said:

Speaking of, were they seriously talking about rebuilding King's Landing? Like, seriously? Where do you rent the construction equipment for that kind of cleanup in Westeros?

If Dany (R.I.P.) was able to find a Starbucks in Winterfell, maybe Home Depot and/or Lowe's can set up shop in King's Landing and do big business there.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, AD35 said:

If Dany (R.I.P.) was able to find a Starbucks in Winterfell, maybe Home Depot and/or Lowe's can set up shop in King's Landing and do big business there.

The Dothraki are actually unlicensed contractors. Bronn is doing it on the cheap 😅

• LOL 16
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes. I did not think it was sweet. Brienne deserved so much better than Jaime!

I wish the show had allowed me a way to put brienne and tormund together in my mind 😞

its sad to me that she seems destined to spend her life pining over some unrequited love when a good guy who finds her sexy is somewhere in the north.

1 hour ago, coops said:

So they sentence Tyrion to death who points out it's not for them to decide what happens to him, its' for the new king or queen to decide and then they let him decide who will be the new king or queen??? So basically he's pretty much deciding for himself what will happen to him.

Aaaaaaaand the new king doesn't sentence Tyrion to die but instead asks him to become his hand. AND EVERYONE GOES ALONG WITH THIS? 

Yeah, this was all pretty unbelievable.  I kinda thought grey worm was going to kill him on the spot because he kept talking.

1 hour ago, TigerLynx said:

Drogon nudging Dany was sad.  My Great Dane does that when she wants my attention.

I call complete BS on Drogon not killing Jon.  If he didn't kill him when he destroyed the Iron Throne, then there should have been a final scene of Drogon chasing Jon down and lighting him up.

1 hour ago, kieyra said:

I think the idea was that Jon is a Targaryen and so dragons are innately cool with him. And Drogon torching the IT felt like some sort of indictment of ambition, maybe even Dany’s. But of course we have no idea how smart dragons are supposed to be.

I agree with this and was going to say the same thing about why drogon didn't kill Jon.  Had it been anyone else I think they would have bee toast.

And also, that scene with drogon picking Dany up and flying her away was beautiful and sad.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SallyAlbright said:

I don't even know what to say. Bran. BRAN?! Dear God. Didn't think it was possible to be this disappointed by a show that was so great for seven seasons. 

Glad Brienne and Ghost are alive and seemingly happy. 

You thought she was happy?

2 hours ago, kieyra said:

It’s interesting that the spoilers for this episode were dead on, a week ago. I guess security at this level is impossible now. 

I felt like we got a lot of character interaction and dialogue that we really could have used earlier in the season. 

My only eye-rolling moment was when Arya says “I know a killer when I see one”, right after literally everyone left alive just watched Dany commit large-scale murder.

Jon somehow surviving after killing Dany seemed difficult to believe. (Also, no one else saw it happen ... did he confess?) Seems like between Dothraki and Unsullied he never would have made it to that boat alive. 

Convenient that all the brown people quietly agreed to go elsewhere.

Fuck Bronn. 

The brown people not only leave racist Westros, they literally sail away in a boat to an island. 

Holding my head, here.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, lmsweb said:

I have a lingering question in my mind about Drogon burning down the throne - they've made it clear before the dragons are actually quite intelligent. Yet he didn't eat Jon (or burn him). He just carted Dany off and that was it.

I've kind of been wondering about Drogon, because I've turned into a major Drogon fangirl. 

I could be retconning, but do you think that Drogon understood what he had done on behalf of his mistress was terribly wrong? I'm wondering about this, because of the scene where Jon approaches the Red Keep to speak with Dany, and we see what looks like a pile of snow covered rubble. Instead it's Drogon curled up in a ball. Do you think this was because he was depressed?

And he let Jon pass by to approach Dany without any problem.

He was intelligent enough to aim his dragon fire at the true source of Dany's misery. I think he is my favourite character in the whole show (next to Ghost, of course).

• Love 18
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Cheezwiz said:

I've kind of been wondering about Drogon, because I've turned into a major Drogon fangirl. 

I could be retconning, but do you think that Drogon understood what he had done on behalf of his mistress was terribly wrong? I'm wondering about this, because of the scene where Jon approaches the Red Keep to speak with Dany, and we see what looks like a pile of snow covered rubble. Instead it's Drogon curled up in a ball. Do you think this was because he was depressed?

He was intelligent enough to aim his dragon fire at the true source of Dany's misery. I think he is my favourite character in the whole show (next to Ghost, of course).

Nah. He just needed a nap. It’s  obvious that he seems to understand who mom likes - if it hadn’t been Jon he probably would have taken action. There’s a poster here, Drogo, who has a theory about Drogon actually being Drogo reincarnated - he makes some good points and it’s a great theory. 

Edited by ShellsandCheese
  • Love 10
(edited)
18 minutes ago, seawind said:

I'm so sorry, Dany, that the show Dracarys'd your character arc and turned you into a child murderer, because reasons.

But that’s GRRM ending. I agree that how we got here  was poorly handled and crammed in 2.5 episodes, but Dany becoming a mass murderer is not “reasons”. 

Edited by Raachel2008
  • Love 9
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Cheezwiz said:

They were both Targ's. That was probably reason enough.

I really lost interest in any of the people characters who were left on the show (And totally forgot abbout Edmure). But I want to know that the dragon's going to be ok. He should have cremated Dany, then flew north to hook up with Ghost and go on some adventures.

Edited by Butless
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, ShellsandCheese said:

Nah. He just needed a nap. He’s obvious he seems to understand who mom likes - if it hadn’t been Jon he probably would have taken action. There’s a poster here, Drogo, who has a very good theory about Drogon actually being Drogo reincarnated - he makes some good points and it’s a great theory. 

I think it was also because Jon was the last Targaryen.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Raachel2008 said:

But that’s GRRM ending. I agree that how we got here  was poorly handled and crammed in 2.5 episodes, but Dany becoming a mass murderer is not “reasons”. 

How do you know that that's GRRM's ending? His ending could have simply been that Dany dies. 

• Love 2
(edited)

On rewatch now - part of Dany's Hitler speech speaks of liberating people all over the world. "From Winterefell to Dorne, from Lannisport to Qarth, from the Summer Isles to the Jade Sea"

Ummmm...liberating people in Winterfell from what? They don't have slavery there. Nor in Lannisport. Slavery is outlawed in the Seven Kingdoms. I can picture Sansa giving Jon a snarky "I told you so" side eye if she'd been there to hear it.

Edit to add: Is that Howland Reed sitting between Bran and Edmure at the little post BBQ sit down?

Edited by lmsweb
  • Love 6

I'd like to think Drogon flew back with mommie, gave her a good send off, and decided to hatch that clutch of dragon eggs he laid when he disappeared. 

He needs some company.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, seawind said:

How do you know that that's GRRM's ending? His ending could have simply been that Dany dies. 

his ending could be that they all go out for iced cream, but I think it's more likely that the producers, who worked with GRRM, got the lay of the land for the series.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

To make it equivalent, Bran being anything but totally mobil would come as a surprise to all but his closest allies and advisors.

That nickname's gonna tip off some of the people, though! 🙂 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, zibnchy said:

Why is Brienne on the Small Counc il? Isn't she oathbound to Sansa? She could be Sansa's hand.  Sansa may need her for protection. Also why was she voting for the new king? Is she Lord of something now? (Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Brienne, but I don't love her on the small council.)

Ser Pod for the WIN!

Sit down, Uncle.

I would have loved to see Sansa release her from her oath so she could be head of the king's guard. I assume that's what she's doing in KL, which explains why Pod is now wheelchair-pusher-in-chief.

I think the writers realized the table was full of MEN and had to figure out a way to get a woman in there. I wish we'd gotten that scene, though.

• Love 7
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

I think the writers realized the table was full of MEN and had to figure out a way to get a woman in there.

Gotta have somebody to make coffee

(Early in grad school, as the only female, I got asked to make coffee.  I didn't drink coffee and had no idea. First time it was so dilute you could read a newspaper through it.  Second time, nobody got to sleep until the next day.  Third time the coffee make blew the circuit  and fourth time the coffee maker heating element caught fire.   did put it out with a fire extinguisher as someone ran for the fuse box.} I've earned my right to joke about this

Edited by enoughcats
  • LOL 12
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Ottis said:

She was chillingly mad, in my opinion. 

Viserys was mad. She just looked bewildered and delusional. If all these Targs are prone to insanity, then isn't the real message, Dont trust the mentally ill, because they are dangerous?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Everything Drogon was magnificent. MVP!

Yay, the throne is gone.

Dany's Triumph of her Will was chilling. Hers is a cautionary tale.

Wonderful little detail we caught at our house. As Jon and crew marched beyond The Wall, there was a green plant poking through the snow. Spring has come to the far north, The Wall is coming down.

Loved it all. Immensely satisfied.

Edited by MrsR
  • Love 18
4 minutes ago, seawind said:

As if. We know GRRM told the ending for all main characters years ago, and there is no way they would make Dany a mass murderer if that had not been his plan all along. Now I wholeheartedly agree that D&D are mediocre writers and have no finesse, while being lazy producers who decided to just shorten two seasons, this giving us that that poorly done final season. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

I didn’t think I would be. But I’m quite satisfied with that ending. All of it.  Well done show. Nice save.  I’m probably in the minority, but I didn’t have a horse In this race so I’m satisfied with the way they chose to end things. I can live with it withou being disappointed or angry about it. 

Edited by hnygrl
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, Mystery said:

That nickname's gonna tip off some of the people, though! 🙂 

He should have just kept it Bran the Tree. His enemies don't need to know that it is literal, in meaning.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Butless said:

Viserys was mad. She just looked bewildered and delusional. If all these Targs are prone to insanity, then isn't the real message, Dont trust the mentally ill, because they are dangerous?

don't trust people with a messiah complex and a dragon

• LOL 4
  • Love 17
8 minutes ago, Giselle said:

I'd like to think Drogon flew back with mommie, gave her a good send off, and decided to hatch that clutch of dragon eggs he laid when he disappeared. 

He needs some company.

It will be even cooler when they all come screeching back to avenge Dany's death in a few years.

• Love 7

When the spoilers leaked, I was expecting not to like it. But I'm surprised how boring it was. I legit started fast-forwarding through scenes. That's a very bad sign when this is suppose to be the last time I'll ever spend with these characters I've been following for 10 years. 

• Love 3

I loved the bit with the new Small Council where Bronn said, "Soon there won't be no more coin" and Davos replied, "Any more," and Bronn retorted, "Are you the Maester of Grammar now, too?" I loved that throwback to the Stannis/Davos banter way back "Fewer."

• Love 13

The dumbest and most "made for hollywood/dramatic effect" scene IMO was Tyrion digging up Cersei and Jaimie's bodies. Why was all that rubble concentrated in the entry/exit ways, when the pile that buried Cersei/Jaimie was barely a foot tall, and some parts of the ground weren't even covered at all? YES, THAT DETAIL REALLY BOTHERED ME.

• Useful 2
  • Love 15

Surprisingly low key finale for the most part. I was expecting more. I’m not sure of what exactly, but more. 

The take down of Dany was well done. Filming wise the cinematography was beautiful. Props to Emilia. This was her best acting season. 

Too much Tyrion for me. Could have used more Stark time. 

I hate that Jon was still pulling the ‘my Queen’ routine. He shouldn’t have needed that much convincing. 

I don’t know what to think of Bran being King honestly.

Sansa gets the title she deserves! ☺️

Seeing Arya sail off made me smile. 

My Starks are okay. That was really all I wanted.

• Love 10

I have to say if it is GRRM's plan to have Bran on the throne it doesn't say much for his political imagination.  Sure, let's have the end result of all the people being slaughtered by would be rulers be the imposition of a God-King who obviously knew what would happen but didn't bother to do anything about it because he is above it all.  When eternity is your perspective what's a massacre here or there.  At least Tolkein knew you had to have a break from God like creatures.  That's why all the wizards and elves had to go.

• Love 11