Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E06: The Iron Throne

Message added by Athena

No Book Talk. AT ALL.

• Start Topic

(edited)

I thought everything after Drogon flying off was tedious. I must give Sansa props, she came up big time. But I think she’ll be alone and miserable - be careful what you wish for and all that. 

Really, disappointed in Jon’s arc. The story is supposed to be about him and he got screwed. Drogon once again proved that he’s better than everybody - and aside from Drogo, Jorah, and GreyWorm - was the only one who never let Dany down. 

I loved everything Drogon related, lol. 

Edited by ShellsandCheese
  • Love 18
58 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Good point- but would honorable Jon just abandon his punishment?!! If he’s been sentenced to the wall he would stay there no?

I think it was pretty clear it was a plot to get Grey Worm to leave.

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
5 minutes ago, Raachel2008 said:

Dany was totally 110% convinced she had freed the people of Westeros. The very same people she burned alive. 

I’m pretty sure that even narrower, she added in the people of King’s Landing, so there is that.  Once pressed, IMO Dany showed us that her attitude towards ruling was “hey, you cannot make omelets without cracking a few eggs... or a few thousand innocent people here and there...”, so that was what exiled her from fitness to rule.

• Love 6

Most important lesson of Game of Thrones:

Sit out all the wars. Don’t commit your troops until the last minute. Stay at home, hide in your fortress, and don’t risk your own life. Play with moon door instead. Live to sit on council to vote for the new ruler. Cool. 

~Robin of Arryn. 22 and haven’t been breastfeeding for, like, 15 years. Maybe. Yeah?

• LOL 12
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, filmfan2480 said:

So the reason Jon was not King or not tossed around as possible King was because and ONLY because the Iron Throne was no more?  Is this correct?

I think it was so the scary people with scythes and spears would go away quietly.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, kieyra said:

Queen costumes: the only one who ever really stood out, in terms of costume design, was Maergary. 

Seriously her wardrobe was to die for. Both of her wedding dresses especially. House Tyrell had a lot of style.

8 minutes ago, lucindabelle said:

Drogon is all alone in the world.

And he's what 9 years old? Don't dragons live well into 200+? Poor boy.

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, Richness said:

I was fine until Arya's single tear fell, then I lost it.

Drogon gently lifting and flying Dany's body back to Valyria came close.

I'll just fanwank that he brought her to a red priest who brought her back to life... and Dany spends it living anonymously, trying to help the poor and unfortunate in Essos.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
1 minute ago, LittleIggy said:

Oh, BTW, my cats Lord Baelish and Aemon Targaryen thank GoT for their names.

Speaking of..

"Love is the death of duty." -Jon

"Sometimes duty is the death of love." -Tyrion

NOBODY FUCKING SAYS THAT, TYRION ughh twisting Maester Aemon's sage advice to suit your agenda per usual.  Stop trying to make your own proverbs happen, they're not going to happen. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

Although not a full democracy, they are heading that way.  More of a Parliamentary style government with the Lords/Ladies choosing the King/Queen which I would imagine would eventually include more and more people in the decision making process.

That made me think of England in 1688 when Parliament chose who the monarch would be  (William & Mary of Orange) and set down some conditions they would have to accept.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Jon sent to the wall makes no sense.  There is no longer a need for a NW.

Not quite true.  Sure, they don't need the NW to protect against the Night's King and the AOTD, but Tyrion was 100% right -- Westeros needs its Botany Bay.  And lets face it -- for ages and ages that's what the Night's Watch had been anyways.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, filmfan2480 said:

So the reason Jon was not King or not tossed around as possible King was because and ONLY because the Iron Throne was no more?  Is this correct?

I think Jon has made perfect;y clear that "he doesn't want it" 

IMO Jon would be 100% happier hanging with the wildings than being King and hanging with the court of Kings Landing. I think his ending was perfect, once he found the courage to do what was best for Westeros and kill a woman who was not going to ever stop conquering cities with her Dracarys style. 

• Love 15
(edited)

For folks looking for new stuff to watch now, I’d like to recommend a quick couple of things:

1) Gentleman Jack. Historical period drama based on a true story. Airs on HBO Mondays. Gemma Whelan has a pretty big role and she’s fab. Polar opposite of Yara.

2) Chernobyl miniseries. Also HBO, also Mondays. Really well done so far. Also has some GoT alumni.

3) And because I want to include a fantasy offering, Good Omens starts very soon now on Amazon. Based on Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman novel. Stars everyone from David Tennant to Jon Hamm to Michael McKean. 

I’ll kick in The Spanish Princess on Starz if you want more monarchy costume-drama, sans magic. Catherine of Aragon, the early years. 

Edited by kieyra
  • Useful 10
  • Love 9
9 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

I'll just fanwank that he brought her to a red priest who brought her back to life... and Dany spends it living anonymously, trying to help the poor and unfortunate in Essos.

Would have been a better ending than this hot garbage.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
11 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

Really, disappointed in Jon’s arc. The story is supposed to be about him and he got screwed. Drogon once again proved that he’s better than everybody - and aside from Drogo and Jorah was the only one who never let Dany down. 

Grey Worm also never let Dany down, which is why I don’t understand how Jon and Tyrion were not killed out of loyalty to his queen. 

• Love 15
22 minutes ago, kieyra said:

Queen costumes: the only one who ever really stood out, in terms of costume design, was Maergary. 

Up thread, the opinion is that Sansa's coronation gown looked like Cersei. But I think it was a dress that showed all the female influence in her life. I see some Maergary in that gown and your post reminded me. I think the dress and her throne chair, all of it, was very much Sansa creating her own image of herself as QitN. She has learned from so many and now she is taking all that she learned to rebrand.

• Useful 4
  • Love 12
26 minutes ago, rollacoaster said:

Count me in.

Though, my friend imagined Drogon  taking her home, laying her atop a rock, setting her on fire, then curling up around her to die. 

It reminded me a bit of Dany's Northern wardrobe, too,.

Oh, God. That mind picture your friend painted about Drogon just destroyed me. 😢

So, Jon should have stabbed Dany and took off.   That said, Drogon took off with Dany before anyone else showed up as far we know.  So, they assumed Jon did or Jon confessed.   

Ok, so Baratheon took the throne by conquest.  He is killed by Cersei who then puts her kids on the throne as if they were Baratheon's.  Technically, we could say Gendry was next in Baratheon's line.  We could also say that Jon took the throne from Dany by conquest, yet neither of those things were mentioned.  Sam had the only good idea about voting.  Of course, you saw the disdain for the actual people when most of them laughed.  

I guess I need to stop trying to make sense of this since it's over. lol  I just feel like they said, "Ok, we have this many episodes to get from point a to point b and accomplish x.  What's the quickest way there?  We could just do a lot of cool effects and throw a few bones of info in there.  It doesn't really have to feel like "Game of Thrones" anymore because there aren't any more books to contradict what we put out there."  

Now, I think I'm done.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, filmfan2480 said:

It was probably for the shock value of bran being king.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CletusMusashi said:

If the north is seceding, why do they get a vote for who's in charge of the Six Kingdoms?

The North is like the Great Britain of the EU. Sansa totally brexited out of there.

• LOL 17
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Zuleikha said:

The gender and racial/xenophobia representational issues in the show also ended up  infuriating.

The bitch who wanted power is dead and all the brown people went away.  For a certain segment of the populace, this was the perfect ending.

• Fire 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 21
32 minutes ago, steelyis said:

This.

So Tyrion is king by default?

I don't understand why Grey Worm didn't kill Jon. Anyone who killed Dany should have been executed by Grey Worm on the spot, no matter who they were. But I think what kept Tyrion alive was his friendly relationship with Grey Worm and Missandei back in the good old days.

Probably because Jon was still a person of importance.  He met Dany as KiTN and though he bent the knee to her, he was still Warden of the North.  Killing Jon would have guaranteed the wrath of the North and who knows whoever else would have allied with them.  I could see Tyrion being killed before Jon. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
32 minutes ago, Lemuria said:

Who get their power by--wait for it--birthright.  And will no intention of sharing that power with the smallfolk or expanding the circle.  And if you don't think that when Bran finally gets a motorized wheelchair and zooms back off to live in a weirwood tree house ("No Gɹils Allowed") there won't be a power struggle that will end up with another version of a monarchy, I have a great bridge to sell you.

Not to mention that even if they had gone full blown Republic (and they haven't, Westeros still has a king and unelected oligarchy ) that would not be any guarantee of peace or stability. See the Late Roman Republic.

Westeros needs a monarch and a clear line of succession. Avoiding civil war without either of those two conditions being met is just not believable. Westeros is a crapsack medieval world lacking a cultural foundation for anything resembling a modern democracy to ever succeed.

• Love 6

Second most important lesson to be learned:

Robert Baratheon was right. Want to save King’s Landing? Kill the Targaryen girl before she can mount an army and cross the Narrow Sea. 

• Useful 8
  • Love 15
27 minutes ago, aemom said:

Drogon might have been the smartest of them all. He melted the throne, said fuck this shit, took his mom and left.

If that isn't a sign of intelligence then I don't know what is.

• Love 12
(edited)

Thanks to low expectations, I thought this was a decent enough; maybe even good; finale that ended things in a somewhat logical way.  But still, I feel like this could have been better and even great if they didn't just rush all of this these past few episodes and actually spent time on the build-up.

Because, again, I do think Dany becoming the person she always hated is a dark, bittersweet ending for her, but I wish we had more time seeing her really cross that line.  I wish we just had more moments seeing how all of her losses (Jorah, Missandei, her dragons) took a toll on her, and turned her into a brutal tyrant.  But, again, it just ended up feeling like they died an episode ago and she was like "Whelp, peacemaker was fun, but it's time to let the blood-letting commence.  Burn baby burn!"  I guess I'm glad that they did show that she wasn't a full-fledge "mad" tyrant like her relatives and she truly deluded herself into thinking she was a champion of the people, and that the ends justified the means.  And there was simply no way for her to come back from it.  But all of it feels like wasted potential.

Still, her death scene was well done and Drogon's reaction was heartbreaking.  I hope the poor dragon has a happy life.  And, again, I really do think Emilia Clarke did some of her best work yet this season, but I wish the writing was just better.  I sadly feel like she'll never get her due because of it.

So, yeah, I'm guessing Jon just really can't lie, because since no one was around, he really could have been like "It was nuts, guys!  Drogon just burn the Iron Throne, took Dany, and bailed!  It was gnarly, man!"  Instead, he is sent to the Night's Watch in order to appease Grey Worm, but it really looks like he's just going to join Tormund (and Ghost!) and be a Wilding.  A fitting end, I guess.  Maybe he'll even meet someone who isn't his aunt! Or go full-blown fantasy service and discover Ygriette had a secret twin this entire time!

So... Bran wins the Game of Thrones?  Kind of?  He is elected king of the sixth realms, while Sansa will maintain the north.  While Arya goes off and becomes a pirate, I guess.  Despite all of the show's darkness and bitter "realism", the Starks pretty much come out ahead easily.  The Lannisters are reduced to one person that everyone hates, the Baratheons are just one guy that will probably just whatever Queen Sansa says while pining for Arya, and everyone else is obsolete.  I guess it does pay to be the good family!

Tyrion did manage to fall upwards though, by not only basically getting everyone to elect who he wanted while in chains, but even is the Hand again!  Sure, he might not like that part, but not bad for someone that is almost feeling like the Ted Cruz of Westeros!  Not sure what to make of the rest of the council though.  Sam and Davos (yay!) make sense and Brienne too, but freaking Bronn as Master of Coin?!  I enjoy him (and love Jerome Flynn), but that decision just seems baffling to me.

Damn, gold star to Peter Dinklage for actually making me feel for Jaime/Cersei's deaths, despite not really liking how all of that came about.  He sure seems to be gunning for a final Emmy!

Davos continues to be the best with the way he was like "Seriously, enough of the death threats and shit!  This is getting tedious!  Do I have to cut off more fingers until y'all shut the hell up?!" during the bickering.  You truly are a decent man, Onion Knight!

Edmure!  Was not expecting his return and even if it was mainly for comedic reasons, I'm always down for more Tobias Menzies!  I wonder if this was filmed around the time of The Crown, since he did seems to be sporting a Prince Phillip look.  Also took me a few to recognize Robyn!

All in all, this show didn't completely work out like I hope it did, but I don't regret the eight seasons/ten or so years I invested in it, and there is no denying the production values and directing was top notch.  And the cast was close to perfection, with highlights featuring the current crop like Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Emilia Clarke, and Maisie Williams, to the ones from the past like Natalie Dormer, Pedro Pascal, Jack Gleeson, Diana Rigg, Sean Bean, and; my personal favorite; Charles Dance as Tywin.  Hell, I'll still give David & D.B. credit for what they did accomplish throughout the show.  But in the end, it didn't fully deliver, and I'm really curious to see how the spin-offs will fare since the show seem to take a hit this year.  If nothing else, D&D better stay off the internet for the next few months, because they're probably some of the most polarizing show-runners of all time.

Edited by thuganomics85
Can't believe I forgot about the Queen of Thorns!
  • Love 17
1 minute ago, QuantumMechanic said:

Looking at the past and present of our world, that actually seems pretty realistic.

Hello, Bronn, the Wilbur Ross and/or Steve Mnunchin of Westeros. 

#WesterosiSwamp

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, dirtypop90 said:

They really failed at making us believe in Jon and Dany. Their final scene fell flat like all the others.  That was supposed to be THE scene of this series, and it doesn’t crack the top 20 IMO.  Just no chemistry and a poorly written love story.  I never ever bought Jon loved Dany so I never felt any agony over the decisions he was faced with.  The Jon/Dany romance was the biggest fail of the show.  It was so bad I wish they didn’t do it.   It wasn’t needed.  Jon could’ve came to love Dany as family, as an aunt, and that might’ve been more powerful than the romantic love they tried to sell.

I disagree.  The final scene between J&D I was totally sold on Jon saying, "fuck everybody; I love you and I'll rule with you," then Daenerys gasped and I thought...fuck!  He shanked her!!!!

• Love 7
48 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Best shot of the whole episode. Dany became a dragon. 

I totally thought “demon” with the black wings and all, but  then I’ve read too much Constantine and watched too much Supernatural.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Thanks to low expectations, I thought this was a decent enough; maybe even good; finale that ended things in a somewhat logical way.  But still, I feel like this could have been better and even great if they didn't just rush all of this these past few episodes and actually spent time on the build-up.

Because, again, I do think Dany becoming the person she always hated is a dark, bittersweet ending for her, but I wish we had more time seeing her really cross that line.  I wish we just had more moments seeing how all of her losses (Jorah, Missandei, her dragons) took a toll on her, and turned her into a brutal tyrant.  But, again, it just ended up feeling like they died an episode ago and she was like "Whelp, peacemaker was fun, but it's time to let the blood-letting commence.  Burn baby burn!"  I guess I'm glad that they did show that she wasn't a full-fledge "mad" tyrant like her relatives and she truly deluded herself into thinking she was a champion of the people, and that the ends justified the means.  And there was simply no way for her to come back from it.  But all of it feels like wasted potential.

Still, her death scene was well done and Drogon's reaction was heartbreaking.  I hope the poor dragon has a happy life.  And, again, I really do think Emilia Clarke did some of her best work yet this season, but I wish the writing was just better.  I sadly feel like she'll never get her due because of it.

So, yeah, I'm guessing Jon just really can't lie, because since no one was around, he really could have been like "It was nuts, guys!  Drogon just burn the Iron Throne, took Dany, and bailed!  It was gnarly, man!"  Instead, he is sent to the Night's Watch in order to appease Grey Worm, but it really looks like he's just going to join Tormund (and Ghost!) and be a Wilding.  A fitting end, I guess.  Maybe he'll even meet someone who isn't his aunt! Or go full-blown fantasy service and discover Ygriette had a secret twin this entire time!

So... Bran wins the Game of Thrones?  Kind of?  He is elected king of the sixth realms, while Sansa will maintain the north.  While Arya goes off and becomes a pirate, I guess.  Despite all of the show's darkness and bitter "realism", the Starks pretty much come out ahead easily.  The Lannisters are reduced to one person that everyone hates, the Baratheons are just one guy that will probably just whatever Queen Sansa says while pining for Arya, and everyone else is obsolete.  I guess it does pay to be the good family!

Tyrion did manage to fall upwards though, by not only basically getting everyone to elect who he wanted while in chains, but even is the Hand again!  Sure, he might not like that part, but not bad for someone that is almost feeling like the Ted Cruz of Westeros!  Not sure what to make of the rest of the council though.  Sam and Davos (yay!) make sense and Brienne too, but freaking Bronn as Master of Coin?!  I enjoy him (and love Jerome Flynn), but that decision just seems baffling to me.

Damn, gold star to Peter Dinklage for actually making me feel for Jaime/Cersei's deaths, despite not really liking how all of that came about.  He sure seems to be gunning for a final Emmy!

Davos continues to be the best with the way he was like "Seriously, enough of the death threats and shit!  This is getting tedious!  Do I have to cut off more fingers until y'all shut the hell up?!" during the bickering.  You truly are a decent man, Onion Knight!

Edmure!  Was not expecting his return and even if it was mainly for comedic reasons, I'm always down for more Tobias Menzies!  I wonder if this was filmed around the time of The Crown, since he did seems to be sporting a Prince Phillip look.  Also took me a few to recognize Robyn!

All in all, this show didn't completely work out like I hope it did, but I don't regret the eight seasons/ten or so years I invested in it, and there is no denying the production values and directing was top notch.  And the cast was close to perfection, with highlights featuring the current crop like Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Emilia Clarke, and Maisie Williams, to the ones from the past like Natalie Dormer, Pedro Pascal, Jack Gleeson Sean Bean, and; my personal favorite; Charles Dance as Tywin.  Hell, I'll still give David & D.B. credit for what they did accomplish throughout the show.  But in the end, it didn't fully deliver, and I'm really curious to see how the spin-offs will fare since the show seem to take a hit this year.  If nothing else, D&D better stay off the internet for the next few months, because they're probably some of the most polarizing show-runners of all time.

Really, Davos who wanted to give the little slaves some land for most of them losing their lives in the Long Night (and only because they were outnumbered) and tells them to raise families, when they have been cut and can't raise families??!!!  WTF ever  He was saying what he needed to save his and everyone else's ......a

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

So, yeah, I'm guessing Jon just really can't lie, because since no one was around, he really could have been like "It was nuts, guys!  Drogon just burn the Iron Throne, took Dany, and bailed!  It was gnarly, man!" 

Or Arya could have worn Dany's face for a minute and they could have come up with another plan. Or, say, *a* plan. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, taurusrose said:

Probably because Jon was still a person of importance.  He met Dany as KiTN and though he bent the knee to her, he was still Warden of the North.  Killing Jon would have guaranteed the wrath of the North and who knows whoever else would have allied with them.  I could see Tyrion being killed before Jon. 

Yes, but Unsullied were raised to not care about dying.  Greyworm had lost everything..what logically did he care about that would have prevented him from quickly killing both of them while they were in captivity and just taking the consequences?  Their life expectancy was not high before or after Dany acquired them and I am sure he never expected to live long an prosper...why not go out fighting, that is what they trained for their whole lives.  Lazy writing that did not make any sense.....

• Love 15

So what ever happened to the green eyes, brown eyes, blues eyes prophecy thingy for arya?

Is that now over? Or did it already happen with I was nodding off in the season finale?

Just kidding about the nodding off tho hahaha 😂😂😂

• Love 1
(edited)

Sansa's coronation outfit was very similar to something Ned once wore, only as a dress. I love that she didn't have her hair in any complicated styles or braids, which is how she wore her hair every time she was mimicking someone else (Cersei, Margaery). Rather, she wore it down a la Elizabeth l.

Edited by slf
  • Love 14
20 minutes ago, kieyra said:

For folks looking for new stuff to watch now, I’d like to recommend a quick couple of things:

1) Gentleman Jack. Historical period drama based on a true story. Airs on HBO Mondays. Gemma Whelan has a pretty big role and she’s fab. Polar opposite of Yara.

2) Chernobyl miniseries. Also HBO, also Mondays. Really well done so far. Also has some GoT alumni.

3) And because I want to include a fantasy offering, Good Omens starts very soon now on Amazon. Based on Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman novel. Stars everyone from David Tennant to Jon Hamm to Michael McKean. 

I’ll kick in The Spanish Princess on Starz if you want more monarchy costume-drama, sans magic. Catherine of Aragon, the early years. 

I keep thinking that the actress playing Anne’s sister looks so familiar but hadn’t looked her up. It’s Yara! 😄 I second recommending Gentleman Jack. It is fantastic.

• Love 4

So Drogon had his own mind enough to burn the throne, but not to burn anything else after Dany was dead?  He had sense enough to rescue her from that pit without being told, but now without her guiding him he just goes off and stops burning things?  

• Love 3
(edited)

Pretty much my reaction to the whole mess.  And I must have missed what happened to the dothraki.   Did they just shrug after Dany died and fuck off into the sea? 

Resized_20190519_220107.jpeg

Edited by Tesla
Clarity
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I keep thinking that the actress playing Anne’s sister looks so familiar but hadn’t looked her up. It’s Yara! 😄 I second recommending Gentleman Jack. It is fantastic.

tumblr_pqsfqm2jT81sh9oy8o3_500.gif

🙂

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Who put all this fan fiction in the series finale of my show?

Actually, that’s mean to fan fiction writers. They would have done a better job.

Like, weren’t there all these warnings about bittersweet and “there are no happy endings” and blah blah this is gonna suck blah and instead, everyone either gets what they want, better than they deserve, or not a horrible ending - except Edmure, who finally popped his head out from the Frey dungeons and was all, “I mean, if no one else wants the job, I’ll totes be your King. Oh, you don’t want me? I hope I can get a refund on these monogrammed towels.”

Bittersweet for who, the last two Dany fans in the world who thought she maybe had a chance of being redeemed in the last five minutes?

Jon does not deserve Ghost. Ghost deserved to eat Jon’s face off and then trot off for a nap while Tormund rubbed that spot between his ears that makes his back leg twitch.

Blech.

• LOL 1
  • Love 17
2 hours ago, Leroux said:

I was sort of hoping for some remorse on Daenerys' part, some acknowledgment that what she did was horrible on all levels, but not one ounce of it, none. Her grandiose discourse was scary as shit.

She believed her own delusions and thought she was the only one who knew better what was right for the people of the whole world. 

She was dangerous and needed to die. I am glad Jon had the courage to do it. 

I mostly agree with you.  I didn't expect any remorse, and was not surprised at the level of justification for her actions.  I was surprised that Jon saw through it.  The finale was pretty anticlimactic.  The shining moment was drogon burning the iron throne.

King Bran was a surprise and I'm not sure it was a good one.  Happy that my favorites made it to the end.  

I think that Sansa was angling for the iron throne and took queen of the north as a consolation prize.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Francie said:

Seriously!

I wonder if Sansa might be rethinking Lysa’s offer of a marriage. “Yo, you don’t seem so sickly, anymore.”

During the ep I asked, "Hey, is that t#tty boy?"  That's the only way I can remember him.  

wheelchair12.jpg

Edited by kelslamu
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1