Type keyword(s) to search

Almost Family Anticipation

This is the new upcoming Fox series from Jason Katims, based on Australian show Sisters

A story of an unusual family formed through extreme odds, exploring such hot-button issues as identity, human connection and what it truly means to be a family. An only child finds her life turned upside down when her father reveals that, over the course of his prize-winning career as a pioneering fertility doctor, he used his own sperm to conceive upwards of a hundred children, including two new sisters. As these three young women slowly embrace their new reality, they will attempt to form an untraditional bond as sisters, even as they must welcome a tidal wave of new siblings into their rapidly expanding family. Based on the original Endemol Shine Australia series, “Sisters,” from Jonathan Gavin and Imogen Banks.

Airing on Wednesdays at 9pm EST.

I'm a sucker for the "found family" trope, too (and, well, kind of a sap, full stop) but there's something about the premise that rubs me the wrong way. I know there are other shows based (often loosely) on real people's experience, but, having watched the trailer, I can't help feeling there's something exploitive here. I wonder if the series is based on this occurrence. The story behind that article horrified me when I read it, and I'm not sure I'm ready for it to be transmogrified into a "I have sisters now!" feel-good story, no matter how able the cast.

The kind of manipulation and ongoing falsehood that the doctor engaged in is truly unforgivable -- and probably evidence of monstrous narcissism. By the end of the trailer, I wanted Timothy Hutton's character dead. I'm not sure that's the emotional response the showrunners are going for. And I am certain (given the casting) that Doctor Donor is intended to be redeemed over the course of the show. Feh.

• Love 2

Thanks for that great contribution...

I am excited to finally check this show out tonight. I'm a fan of Brittany Snow, and out of the Pitch Perfect alums with new shows out right now, this one seems the most promising.