Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 5/13/2019

falltime
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, HaaCHOO said:

Hmmm...can't a woman do what a woman wants to do (or not) and still be a feminist?

I'm talking about the activity itself. A sex strike frames sex as something that women do to reward men, not something that they do because it's fun or because they want to. It's a retrogressive way of looking at sex, women's bodies, and women's agency that I see as more or less antithetical to feminism.

• Love 11

I was surprised that none of them seemed to be aware that these anti-abortion laws are frequently anti-birth control laws as well, since they often interpret birth control as a form of abortion. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Cyranetta said:

I was surprised that none of them seemed to be aware that these anti-abortion laws are frequently anti-birth control laws as well, since they often interpret birth control as a form of abortion. 

Joy alluded to that when she was trying to push back on Megan..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 16

There are a lot of people who believe the same as Megan about abortion.   I liked that first segment because all the views were represented.  

It’s too bad Megan didn’t explain herself better.  She gets mad way to easily and it stops the conversation.  

• Love 12

I didn't mind Meghan's take on the Constance Wu saga. There's a lot of irony in her talking about how others should be mindful of their tweeting practices but I'm not going to hold her accountable for something someone close to her has done. I don't think her opinion conflicted with her own practices as I think she's actually quite deliberate in the way she expresses her opinions on the show and on social media.

As for the abortion topic, seeing the full segment now...I don't think Meghan was that bad. Yes, she was definitely judgemental of the other women's opinions and made that very clear but I've seen her behave FAR worse. I understand that she may be passionate about being anti-abortion which I'm fine with and I'm also fine with her personal definition of life being at conception, but there are some odd and incorrect statements made. As previously mentioned, the science community almost unanimously agree on climate change. Science is not nearly as definitive when it comes to the point in which you define human life. Saying that the sciences are on her side of the argument is wrong. I also don't understand her complaint of women like her not being involved in the conversations that pro-choice women have. If you fundamentally disagree on a woman's choice to make that decision, how can you be made part of a protest that fights for the very right that you disagree with a woman having? I understand feeling left out of the 'feminist' conversation but it makes no sense to me why she wants to have a seat at the table of a cause that she not only disagrees with, but obviously judges others who don't share her views.

I genuinely couldn't follow Joy's thoughts on Alyssa Milano's sex strike tweet. I also thought Meghan was unfairly painting the comment to be something of inappropriate and ill-thought out activism. I interpreted the comment as an intentional way to fight a narrative by using the same thought-process as those who are seeking to oppress women's rights in order to force a conversation. I don't know if that's how Milano intended for her comment to be taken, but in any case, I didn't see it as being anti-feminist because I don't think she in any way tried to judge or challenge the choice of a woman regardless if she took part or not.

• Love 11
49 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

I found myself yelling at the top of my lungs at that blond porker to SHUT THE HELL UP.....I'm through for the week, she is just vile. IF YOU ARE AGAINST ABORTIONS, THEN DON'T HAVE ONE, WHO CARES?

Her brain is an abortion in itself 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, tribeca said:

There are a lot of people who believe the same as Megan about abortion.   I liked that first segment because all the views were represented.  

It’s too bad Megan didn’t explain herself better.  She gets mad way to easily and it stops the conversation.  

I agree. If Meghan had been able to articulate her opinion better it would have been great because there were at least four different opinions offered. It actually felt like what The View should be about.

And Ana was there which totally made my day! 

• Love 15
7 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

I wonder if she does.  She has been playing the "knows it all" game for so long she no longer has a sliver of shame, embarrassment, excuses, or self-awareness.  When Professor Irwin Corey died a couple of years ago, Meghan became the World's Foremost Authority™ (on everything).

Stares at cards supplied by her husband.

• Love 8
23 hours ago, falltime said:

Thursday, May 16 – Howard Stern (author, “Howard Stern Comes Again”)

I love Howard.  Been catching all his appearances lately promoting his book.  GMA this morning.  Looking forward to this.

I wish someone would ask Meghan if she'd be willing to adopt a severely disabled child from a single mother who had had no access to abortion.

• Useful 2
  • Love 17
9 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

If only Nutmeg was not there, it would have been perfect.  

Because ALL OF THEM are so very, very wrong and uneducated.  Only Nutmeg is right!  Her scientific opinion on conception, life, birth, motherhood and (of course) abortion should be the only one spoken aloud on "The View."  Hell...the only one allowed in these United States of America (and the WORLD)!  

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

I genuinely couldn't follow Joy's thoughts on Alyssa Milano's sex strike tweet.

Joy might think everyone is familiar with Lysistrata by Aristophanes.  Alyssa Milano's idea is far from original.

• Love 11
(edited)
8 hours ago, heysmilinstrange said:

A sex strike frames sex as something that women do to reward men, not something that they do because it's fun or because they want to.

I considered the idea a temporary deprivation women might be willing to "endure" to draw their men into another way of thinking.  Men aren't absolutely necessary for women's sexual satisfaction.

Edited by HaaCHOO
deleted a comment about Greek comedy
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, Tosia said:

Many do,  BUT they won't recognize the painful, decades long (and ongoing  ) struggle that availed them of the roghts and ethics "to get "to do what a woman wants to do, or not , " in the U.S. and some other progressive countries.

I certainly do...and I'm called a second-wave feminist at age 79 (next month).

• Love 12
1 hour ago, HaaCHOO said:

Joy might think everyone is familiar with Lysistrata by Aristophanes.  Alyssa Milano's idea is far from original.

Talk radio also pointed out that Liberian women used similar tactics in the last decade to protest the war in their country.

I'm a dude who gets STD screenings done at Planned Parenthood. With that, I loved Ana and Sunny for explaining the nuances in their viewpoints. Is this the first time Ana spoke about her brother on the show? My heart hurt for her.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

I certainly do...and I'm called a second-wave feminist at age 79 (next month).

Sorry, I wasnt clear in my first draft of my post above.  I edited soon after. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Cyranetta said:

Joy tried to get that in but the conversation moved on.  Under Obama and the original Affordable Care Act it was free.  Now, I hear, it is a $50 co-pay.  This matters none to those that feel it should be outlawed.

3 hours ago, JakeyJokes said:

Is this the first time Ana spoke about her brother on the show?

So when her parents are gone who is going to care for him?  That is one thing that gets me about choosing to deliver a severely handicapped child.  Usually the other kids have to step up.

I thought that Sunny articulated her view well.  MM was completely off the rails, as usual.  It's not her personal stance but her attitude towards others and their views.

• Love 14
12 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

. I also don't understand her complaint of women like her not being involved in the conversations that pro-choice women have. If you fundamentally disagree on a woman's choice to make that decision, how can you be made part of a protest that fights for the very right that you disagree with a woman having?

This is just another way for Meghan to act like she is the victim.  How dare pro choice women not want me to be part of their club. I'm being picked on for my beliefs.

For someone who seems adamant about not wanting to have children I hope her birth control is 100% effective.  If it fails I'm sure she could just have a "procedure" in her doctor's office and act like it didn't happen.

• Love 23
(edited)

“Joy’s and I’s tenor”. Good ol’ Columbia education.

Oh, can they shoot meghan out of a cannon?

Oooh, burn!  Beto called Meghan un-American. 

Edited by Haleth
  • LOL 7
  • Love 11

Meghan = Topic Killer.  Runs every topic into the ground.  Crash & burn.  Pic of Kamala in the kitchen / yell / yell / trying to shmooze with Joy / yell/ yell.

I did like Joy's jerk chicken - jerk in White House joke.  And I love that she laughs at her own jokes.  Her first joke about Mayor Pete and the toilet seat bombed but the jerk joke got a lot of laughs.  And she always gets a kick out of the audience laughing for her jokes. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 14
(edited)

Omg, she never takes a breath.  Re: Meghan and the BBQ man's funeral.  And I can tell today that Whoopi's patience for this bitch is over.  She is just barely tolerating her.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 14
7 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

I'm only half listening, but they all seem a bit dismissive of Beto - or is it just me?

I wonder if it is because the media has been gaga over Beto to the detriment of others in the race. Nevertheless, it is pretty rude to be dismissive to a guest.

There is tension between Whoopie and Megan, Sunny is not even looking at her. Something must have happened in their morning meeting yesterday.  Nutmeg is trying so hard to have an ally by kissing up to Joy and Joy is not having it.  Megan views Ana as a traitor to her side, her asking Ana in a nasty tone if she was pro-choice yesterday was proof of that..

• Love 18
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

Here goes Whoopie and her tax obsession.  She didn’t like Beto dodging her question.

Ha!  You could see on her face, “well, there goes my vote.”

Beto seems smart enough and says the right things but I can’t help but think there is no there there. There are too many others who excite me more. 

And no one (on the panel) has a word to say about his interview. They were not impressed. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 14
2 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Ha!  You could see on her face, “well, there goes my vote.”

Beto seems smart enough and says the right things but I can’t help but think there is no there there. There are too many others who excite me more. 

Yeah. I do like him, but the more I see and hear of him, the more I wonder if he jumped into this Presidential thing too soon. From what I gathered, the interview started out somewhat decent and then he began to stutter and take more pauses as it went along. I agree with you that other candidates are much more exciting at this time. 

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I may be a minority about Beto on here but I will always have a soft spot for the man who almost took down his odious repulsive opponent in Texas last year. As a Democrat, he should not have gotten as far as he got in Texas.

I'm still listening, not necessarily for anyone. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Alexis2291 said:

Yeah. I do like him, but the more I see and hear of him, the more I wonder if he jumped into this Presidential thing too soon. From what I gathered, the interview started out somewhat decent and then he began to stutter and take more pauses as it went along. I agree with you that other candidates are much more exciting at this time. 

Beto seems genuinely interested in helping others in this now very divided country. He is quite young, and, I agree, not ready to be president just yet. Perhaps in a few years, when he is more relaxed and able to get his message out to more voters, he'll have a shot at POTUS. I do like the fact that he pledged his full support to whoever  does get the nomination. MM is nuts and is like a poisonous snake......willing to attack anyone who disagrees with her set in stone beliefs.

• Love 20

Anyone catch the ultimate hypocrisy if letting MM announce National Foster Kids Day or whatever?  

Hypocritical because she's pro-life,  and so many lower economic and  kids of color end up in the system. Why isn't MM doing something for the kids that are here? Joy said they only care for kids in the womb. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 11