Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E23: Quikflip, Coyote Vest, BatBnB, Fat Shack

• Start Topic

I so wanted to see someone (who am I kidding --Robert) attempt to put a real dog in that dog spikey thing. That would have been comedy gold.I

I was thinking I had heard/read about the bat airbnb before. Maybe sharper image? It's kind of a cool idea & Kevin should be perfect. 

Not one of their better shows. The first guy was exhausting!

• Love 3

I do not ever want to hear Mark "Health Conscious" Cuban slam any future food entrepreneurs for not being a good fit for his brand/lifestyle/business portfolio again.  Over the years, he has made fun of candies, baked goods, snack foods....but my God, I don't think all of the "unhealthy" foods he turned down put together had as many calories, fat, sugar, etc as the offering from Fat Shack!  I'm no keto-paleo-macrobiotic healthy eater, so I have no objection to the Fat Shack as a business. I could scarf down a greasy burger with a double thick shake any day!  I just hate the hypocrisy.  Mark may personally choose to workout and be disciplined when it comes to his own regimens, but it bugs me when he sneers at people on Shark Tank offering up stuff he doesn't keep in his pantry.  

Bats are great!  My sister has a pool and her property is lined by lots of trees.  We can swim from dusk until dark without being annoyed by a single mosquito all summer.  The bats live in the trees and we watch them fly out to catch their dinner as the sun is setting. And no, they are not fruit bats or vampire bats!

The doggie armour reminded me of those kids' bike/skateboarding helmets with the day-glo mohawks and punk style spikes on them.  I guess if I had a dog that looked like a grab n' go snack to coyotes, I'd get one of those jackets for my pet.  Or move to an area that's a little less Jurassic Park-y.

The hoodie guy was exhausting, but very cool product!  I have been the "pack mule" for my family for years, laden down with sweaters, jackets, coats. A QuickFlip hoodie or rain jacket would save me from carrying everyone's stuff, or running back to the car to unload the shedded layers.

• Love 13

I think Lori will be a great partner for the Quikflip man, but she needs to tranquilize him, or make him stop mainlining coffee or whatever he's doing.

The Batbnb will be a big hit for Kevin.     

It's too bad no one thought the Coyote Vest Pet Body Armor, especially the electrified one, was worth investing in.      Coyotes are an issue all over the country, not just in some places, and many times they are huge, so they must be crossbred with dogs.   The pet vest with the spikes would be good for marauding loose dogs too.    I think Lori should have put it on QVC, because it would be a huge hit, in my opinion.  

Mark now can shut up about anything health, gluten, or obesity related.     The Fat Shack guys will make a fortune, and so will Mark.   I want to know where the nearest one is near me too.  

• Love 8

Did one of the sharks comment that they were concerned with the Coyote vest and children?  I don't have kids and I don't have pets, but I feel like this is something that a parent would and could teach a young child fairly quickly and easily. My nieces learned in one story on Sesame Street that dogs wearing vests were "working" and you shouldn't pet them (heck, my niece was scared of dogs at the time and knew from that Sesame Street not to be scared of therapy and assistance dogs in vests).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

It's too bad no one thought the Coyote Vest Pet Body Armor, especially the electrified one, was worth investing in.      Coyotes are an issue all over the country, not just in some places, and many times they are huge, so they must be crossbred with dogs.   The pet vest with the spikes would be good for marauding loose dogs too.    I think Lori should have put it on QVC, because it would be a huge hit, in my opinion.  

The coyote vest people are headquartered in San Diego, and coyotes are a huge problem here.  They come into neighborhoods and snatch cats and small dogs all the time.  I think this product will be a big hit now that it has been featured on the show.

• Love 4

Can someone explain how the shock works on shocking Robert but not the wearer? I know it has to be something simple but I'm electronically challenged.

As soon as I saw the promo for Fat Shack, I knew the Sharks were going to buy into it. Such hypocrites after dissing DoughP last week for being SO UNHEALTHY and causing anyone eating a scoop of dough to be on the way of killing themselves through obesity. Then four out of five Sharks try to buy in on a food place named FAT Shack. Gah.

I looked at the Fat Shack website during the show. There are 10 in Colorado, three in Texas, one in Washington. A large Fat Sandwich will run around $14, more or less. This laughable headline is on cnbc.com today: "‘Shark Tank’: Mark Cuban made a 6-figure deal with franchise that sells 2,000-calorie sandwiches." I hope he has a few Saucemotos for dipping while eating those Fat Sandwiches in his car.

I enjoyed the QuickFlip (or whatever it was called) guy, he was muy entertaining. I wouldn't buy his products but he was fun to watch.

That dog vest was a good investment IMO. Coyotes not withstanding, I'd put one on my pet dog if I were inclined to take it to a dog park (which I think are horrible places) so it wouldn't be mauled by the crazy and vicious dogs people let run around there. Plus it's common for dogs being walked on a leash to be attacked and mauled by loose neighborhood dogs. It's also a "thing" for little dogs to be carried off by hawks and eagles when they are in the back yard minding their own business.

What the Sharks go for and what they kick out are always a surprise to me.

• Love 7
(edited)

We have a bat house and they are very common where I live. I was surprised at the surprise. Nothing new although they are gorgeous bat houses. I had to look away when the Fat Shack guy was squishing stuff together. I can eat with the best of them but I didn’t like the visuals. 

Edited by Quickbeam
  • Love 3

I didn't understand the sharks fawning over Fat Shack. Like I get it, bros will buy grossly unhealthy food and they'll make money, but there was nothing very innovative or impressive there to me. 

Rener Gracie is a pretty well-known guy (in the BJJ/MMA world) from a famous family, and I'm sure he can sell a lot of swag  based on name recognition and his online following alone ... for a while. But I don't think it's necessarily sustainable. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, retrograde said:

I didn't understand the sharks fawning over Fat Shack. Like I get it, bros will buy grossly unhealthy food and they'll make money, but there was nothing very innovative or impressive there to me. 

Rener Gracie is a pretty well-known guy (in the BJJ/MMA world) from a famous family, and I'm sure he can sell a lot of swag  based on name recognition and his online following alone ... for a while. But I don't think it's necessarily sustainable. 

I didn't get the fawning over Fat Shack either, especially since the cookie dough lady had not only Mark commenting about the unhealthy aspects but pretty much all the sharks acted like "how could anyone eat something so sweet?"  I get that the Fat Shack probably has more global appeal because people love stuffing their faces, especially after a late night drinking binge out.  But the piousness about health and then they all love this idea?

On Rener Gracie, I loved his pitch and thought his product was cool.  I have a daughter who won't wear actual jackets, only wears hoodies even in the summer.  I could see her liking this for days when it starts off chilly and gets warm.  Only problem is if you use it for an actual backpack, you have to have something else right to hold your stuff when you are using it as an actual hoodie.

• Love 4
On 5/13/2019 at 7:27 AM, BusyOctober said:

I do not ever want to hear Mark "Health Conscious" Cuban slam any future food entrepreneurs for not being a good fit for his brand/lifestyle/business portfolio again.  

Bats are great!  My sister has a pool and her property is lined by lots of trees.  We can swim from dusk until dark without being annoyed by a single mosquito all summer.  The bats live in the trees and we watch them fly out to catch their dinner as the sun is setting.

Yes, Mark Cuban can take his pious attitude and shove it.

I'm surprised none of the sharks mentioned the health risk from bat droppings, in particular histoplasmosis.  Also, I would think that with a box, which would be placed lower than the treetops, you would get a lot of lower-flying bats....yuck.

(edited)

The coyote vest with the shock remote had the shock strips on the outside, so the dog wearing it will be safe, but if something tries to grab the dog, you zap them.      

Fat Snack is probably going to do very well in some locations, but I hope no one thinks they can eat like that everyday.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I'm surprised none of the sharks mentioned the health risk from bat droppings, in particular histoplasmosis. 

You'd have to be somewhere that the droppings have piled up and are deep and thick, like inside a cave, and then stir them up so the spores are inhaled. That might be a problem if you are crawling around on the floor of a cave where thousands of bats hang out, but it wouldn't happen outside. The danger of histoplasmosis is more common in large chicken houses or a bird sanctuary, workers wear respirators when cleaning those places. A bat house in your yard is no more "danger" than a bird house in your yard.

4 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Also, I would think that with a box, which would be placed lower than the treetops, you would get a lot of lower-flying bats....yuck.

What is a "lower-flying" bat? Bats fly at all levels, there is no "flight zone" reserved for bats. I've seen them fly past me at eye level, it's not a big deal. I guess people afraid of bats are the same ones who scream when a mouse gets in the house or jump on a chair when a spider crawls across the floor. *sigh*

17 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I had to look away when the Fat Shack guy was squishing stuff together. I can eat with the best of them but I didn’t like the visuals. 

Hilarious. I agree, the visual was nasty. Yet Lori was all about chowing down on that loaded FAT sandwich yet was squeamish and jumping out of her skin because there was a contained bat clear across the room. Go figure.

ETA: I am now getting Saucemoto ads on all the web pages I go to. Also, it was interesting that Fat Shack had a "As Seen On Shark Tank" banner on its website before the show with its segment even started.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

The Fat Shack website says there's a store right on my way home from work. I had no idea!

I'm going to have to try it, but to be honest their burgers and cheesesteaks look more appetizing than those kitchen-sink sandwiches.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Rough Draft said:

The Fat Shack website says there's a store right on my way home from work. I had no idea!

I'm going to have to try it, but to be honest their burgers and cheesesteaks look more appetizing than those kitchen-sink sandwiches.

I just looked too and there's one in Bellingham WA. Next time I head across the border for a Target run (oh Target, we miss you in Canada), guess where I'm headed. Have to say that I'm a little a lot happy that you can get sandwiches in small, medium, and large. I think the small would be all that I should handle.

• LOL 1
(edited)

I’m from NJ, where fat sandwiches are a Rutgers staple. The demo version was unrealistic - just too many items added for shock value. The samples were more along the line of a true fat sandwich (notice each had two or three of the demo ingredients, not all). I haven’t tried Fat Shack, but I am a former fat sandwich skeptic turned fan. They’re delicious, and sometimes it’s fun to indulge. But OH, did Mark’s enthusiasm irk me after the side-eye he gives other indulgent food products. Methinks he saw the arena potential and his eyes turned into cartoon dollar signs. 

Edited by JeezumCrow
Can’t believe I didn’t notice the state abbreviation typo for a week, d’oh!
  • Love 5
On 5/15/2019 at 3:04 PM, JeezumCrow said:

I’m from BJ, where fat sandwiches are a Rutgers staple. The demo version was unrealistic - just too many items added for shock value. The samples were more along the line of a true fat sandwich (notice each had two or three of the demo ingredients, not all). I haven’t tried Fat Shack, but I am a former fat sandwich skeptic turned fan. They’re delicious, and sometimes it’s fun to indulge. 

Indeed, seeing the start of the pitch I would have been surprised if the guy hadn't been in NJ when he got the idea. Although apparently he was at TCNJ who I don't think has an equivalent of the grease trucks. (Perhaps that's why he saw a market opening, copying from what Rutgers friends introduced him to.)

• Love 1

I've been traumatized by bats ever since my mom, who's a nurse, treated a patient who was bitten by a bat in a garage while he was working on an old car in Cape Cod, and had to be medflighted to Boston. The patient got rabies, deteriorated violently and had what sounds like a terrifying death. Maybe it's #notallbats, but bats are carriers of rabies, which to me is so much more frightening than Zika.