Type keyword(s) to search

Klepper - General Discussion

Skyfall
  • Start Topic

I don't think it's meant to be ha-ha "funny" like The Opposition was. Jordan is presenting some serious subjects....PTSD in veterans, DACA students in Georgia...while providing some sardonic commentary along with the documentary piece. I think he does a very effective job. I'm in. 

2 hours ago, littlecatsfeet said:

I don't think it's meant to be ha-ha "funny" like The Opposition was. Jordan is presenting some serious subjects....PTSD in veterans, DACA students in Georgia...while providing some sardonic commentary along with the documentary piece. I think he does a very effective job. I'm in. 

Yeah and Viacom doesn’t have a network for this type of show. Therefore their best bet was to put it on the network viewers have seen him for several years now even if the show is light on comedy. It’s basically a 30 minute Shades of America.

I never even gave The Opposition a try because I never found Klepper funny on TDS and actually I found him consistently annoying; I often hate the schticky characters TDS "correspondents" adopt; they have some really funny people who they hinder with stupid character veneers that frequently overshadow the actual jokes and commentary.

I only tried "Klepper" because I saw him do an interview where he dropped the schtick and actually seemed sincere for a change. I like him better without the douchebag armor.

(edited)

I was good with The Opposition. Jordan's main hurdle was that his "character" was basically Stephen Colbert's updated for a new decade; Alex Jones instead of Bill O'Reilly. But it didn't catch on. I felt it was presentable, even though I wanted to pummel most of the "citizen journalists." And yes, I know they were acting, but they pissed me off that much.

Klepper is in Jordan's sweet spot. The "funny" isn't all there, but Jordan's sneering at whatever windmill he's tilting at makes up for it.

ETA: New episode airs Monday night at 10 p.m.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I was good with The Opposition. Jordan's main hurdle was that his "character" was basically Stephen Colbert's updated for a new decade; Alex Jones instead of Bill O'Reilly. But it didn't catch on. I felt it was presentable, even though I wanted to pummel most of the "citizen journalists." And yes, I know they were acting, but they pissed me off that much.

Klepper is in Jordan's sweet spot. The "funny" isn't all there, but Jordan's sneering at whatever windmill he's tilting at makes up for it.

ETA: New episode airs Monday night at 10 p.m.

Comedy Central execs desperately wanted to repeat Colbert's success and thought they could do it by copying his show without realizing that the ingredients were very different. There were some important differences between Fox and Infowars of course, but perhaps most important was that it wasn't a natural continuation of Klepper's comedic persona the way TCR was. Klepper is much closer to his special on guns or to what we saw on The Daily Show. Which is why it's better television (although I really liked The Opposition by the end where they found what worked which meant it was time to cancel it and start getting ready to figure out who was the next TDS contributor to undermine in the 11:30 death slot). I agree that this is much more true to who Jordan is and his voice and I'm enjoying it even if it's not constant LOLs.

2 hours ago, wknt3 said:

Comedy Central execs desperately wanted to repeat Colbert's success and thought they could do it by copying his show without realizing that the ingredients were very different. There were some important differences between Fox and Infowars of course, but perhaps most important was that it wasn't a natural continuation of Klepper's comedic persona the way TCR was. Klepper is much closer to his special on guns or to what we saw on The Daily Show. Which is why it's better television (although I really liked The Opposition by the end where they found what worked which meant it was time to cancel it and start getting ready to figure out who was the next TDS contributor to undermine in the 11:30 death slot). I agree that this is much more true to who Jordan is and his voice and I'm enjoying it even if it's not constant LOLs.

Also 10:30 isn’t nearly as crowded as 11:30

Anybody catch the episode last night? Basically, it was about foreign-born vets getting deported, and it was pretty grisly . .  .especially with the one asshole that had zero sympathy for them. I think Jordan needs to be recognized for not jumping out of his seat and choking the hell out of that guy. Come to think of it, maybe all correspondents coming into The Daily Show have to go through an extensive course on how not to lose their shit in the face of such belligerence.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Anybody catch the episode last night? Basically, it was about foreign-born vets getting deported, and it was pretty grisly . .  .especially with the one asshole that had zero sympathy for them. I think Jordan needs to be recognized for not jumping out of his seat and choking the hell out of that guy. Come to think of it, maybe all correspondents coming into The Daily Show have to go through an extensive course on how not to lose their shit in the face of such belligerence.

Yeah that asshole did not come off good at all.

(edited)

It's depressing that these issues are left to be covered by comedians, and aired on Comedy Central. But I'd rather they air somewhere than nowhere, even if it is a disgraceful commentary on the supposedly serious media and on our society in general.

I wish we lived in a world where we could afford to just have comedy about silly things. B ut since we don't, I'm really enjoying this show... as much as anyone can enjoy having horrors flung in the face on a weekly basis.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1
(edited)

DVR ALERT: Looks like they moved the show to 11:30 starting this week in the past 24-48 hours.

EDIT: Just did some ratings digging. Looks like the special Monday broadcast at 11 PM was the best rated episode so maybe that played a role in it.

Edited by Skyfall
  • Useful 1

Jordan Klepper on Bringing Earnestness Back Into His Comedy | Larry Wilmore: Black on the Air

Larry is joined by former Comedy Central host Jordan Klepper to talk about his new show, ‘Klepper’ (13:41), the difficulties of hosting a nightly show (21:35), and the process of creating his own docuseries (46:31).

Very interesting discussion of the show as well as Jordan's experiences on The Opposition, The Daily Show, etc. It was nice to have the time to go into a bit more depth than the talk show interviews, and there is some good inside stuff about Comedy Central and the struggles of doing a daily topical comedy show and how doing a more personal project is different.

• Love 1