Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E20: Vianey & Allen's Story

• Start Topic

30 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

I kept thinking that editing must have cut that part out. [. . .] If we haven't been able to retrieve them because their location made going into the road dangerous, then we've called the police. 

I'm guessing that's what happened too. One of the film crew probably called the police, and either they did not film it or the footage was not used.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Or the film crew was following, saw the mattress go, and called the police.    Or maybe they were close enough to put their flashers on, and move the mattress off the road.  

I don't think either of the couple are low functioning, they just were used to their limited life of eating, getting more food, and sitting around.    I bet they change a lot with the new life, and increased mobility.       I hope they stay in Texas too, because the housing costs are better there.    There are so many opportunities now that they are losing the weight, and more mobile.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I feel you. I once got behind some seriously slow moving vehicles. I was in a hurry and I passed them...only to find that they were a funeral procession. Boy did I feel like a jackass. 

Am I alone in thinking that this couple was what we'd refer to as "low functioning" when I was a social worker? 

Behind a funeral procession!  That's hilarious!  Not hilarious that someone died, but ..... oh, you guys know what I mean.  Thanks for sharing your story.

No, you're not alone in wondering if the couple is low-functioning.  I believe many, if not most, of us feel the same way.  Wouldn't surprise me if neither of them graduated high school.

When they got money from the aunt for the motel, did all 4 of them stay in one room, along with the dogs?  Or did they get 2 rooms?  If just one room, did A & V sleep in one bed and the other 2 men sleep in the other bed?  If they got 2 rooms, did A & V each have their own bed?

Add me to those who were awestruck by the amount of food they ate in one sitting, if that was indeed the case, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it was.  And that breakfast!  Allen must have scrambled the whole carton of eggs!  And at least a pound of bacon and sausage and gravy and whatever else they had.  But I must admit, it looked pretty good.  Has anybody else noticed how many time the people (not just this episode) fix scrambled eggs?  I guess because it's fast and easy to fix on air.

One last thing ..... during a TH with both A & V, did anyone see the little black dog squished between them as they sat on the couch?  You could just see his little face.  Cute, cute cute.  Reminds me of this picture, an oldie but always a goodie.  Enjoy!

Fat Lady With Dog in Butt Crack.jpg

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
On 5/18/2019 at 8:30 PM, Ben.w said:

I want to give props to that nurse or medical assistant who calmed Vianey after she was revived. Vianey was upset she didn't get the surgery, but that woman was really reassuring and she calmed Vianey down. Great job to her.

I thought the nurse was great, but I think Vianey was so out of it that it really didn't register, because she was still depressed about it 4 weeks later and said something to the effect that she wished they hadn't brought her back.  She really brightened after Dr Now told her she could still have the surgery if she lost another 100 pounds to get her heart strong, but that was 2 months on after she coded.  This is one episode where I think they failed a patient in a pretty big way.

I really think they also missed a good opportunity to get her to therapy as soon as she was out of the hospital.  Also if she was religiously inclined a visit from the hospital chaplain might have been in order.  I had a very bad allergic reaction that lead to respiratory failure/cardiac arrest about 25 years ago, and it left me freaked out for a while.  A good therapist could help her deal with the cardiac arrest and the deferred surgery.  She needed a lot of reassurance that she didn't seem to get.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

I ff'd thru the Supersized last night. 

What I learned about Vianey--favorite food is nachos, likes romantic comedies, wanted to grow up to be a singer, favorite color is pink, and she wants to learn Italian, her hidden talent is writing

What I learned about Allen--wanted to grow up to be a policeman, likes action movies, least favorite veggie is broccoli, is an Aquarius, his mom taught him to cook, wants to be a DJ/internet DJ,  his hidden talent is playing drums, and after surgery he want to drive a big rig

There was some earlier discussion on this thread about their being low functioning.  I think maybe they are low average, but I think their addictive thinking/behaviour may be the cause of their seeming a bit dim and failing to plan.  I was impressed that Allen could tell that Vianey's condition was worse, and that may have been why he did his cheating in secret and didn't try to sabotage her weight loss.

I did think they were in Steven Assanti's old apartment because of the fireplace and wall, but they weren't.  His fireplace was arched, and theirs was a rectangle; both were decorative fireplaces. Also the Assanti apartment had bookshelves (empty bookshelves) built into the wall and the living room seemed larger.

First bonus scene--packing up his computers and DJ equipment.  It blew my mind how rushed their packing was --especially since it was 3 months after they skyped with Dr Now.  I guess if you are eating almost 24/7 it doesn't leave time to pack.   They certainly left a mess for cousin Jr and the friend to put into storage.  In this bonus scene, we find that Allen wants to be an internet DJ (whatever that is). 

Second bonus--  Actually I had a hard time remembering this, but it was another stop for fast food on the trip.  They ordered a lot, but at least they shared it with the others and probably the dogs.   

I think there is a Cracker Barrel at a lot of exits where they could have gotten decent food.  They were mobile enough to go in which would at least get them out of the car to walk a few yards.   I want to slap people who think the only food on a road trip has to be fast food.  Maybe because we are driving fast? so drive fast, eat fast?  Anyway, between looking up exits on a phone, the highway signs and ads for restaurants, it seems better choices can be made.   We travel with an old copy of a book called "Next Exit" and sometimes an AAA tourguide book as well as internet to find decent places to eat.  

What I have learned about myself after watching this twice---I need a life

• Useful 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Twopper said:

What I have learned about myself after watching this twice---I need a life

We probably all do....

When we travel we are picky AND cheap! I fix a roast or turkey breast or whatever before we leave. We stop at a rest area or nice looking park and make sandwiches. Walk around, stretch our legs. Enjoy our surroundings. Read signs, pick up pamphlets. Old fogey stuff! 👴👵

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, JunkFoodTV said:

We probably all do....

When we travel we are picky AND cheap! I fix a roast or turkey breast or whatever before we leave. We stop at a rest area or nice looking park and make sandwiches. Walk around, stretch our legs. Enjoy our surroundings. Read signs, pick up pamphlets. Old fogey stuff! 👴👵

Us, too.  We stay at hotels with a free breakfast bar, and plan on buying one meal a day on the road.  We carry raw veggies and other healthy snacks, and we never eat at fast food places.  But then, we have had to work for our spendable income.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Us, too.  We stay at hotels with a free breakfast bar, and plan on buying one meal a day on the road.  We carry raw veggies and other healthy snacks, and we never eat at fast food places.  But then, we have had to work for our spendable income.

We don't travel much by car, but even traveling by plane, finding decent food in airports can be a challenge for vegetarians. 😞 I mean, I like salad, but ..... 

• Love 4

I think there is a Cracker Barrel at a lot of exits where they could have gotten decent food.

I went to CB for a late lunch today, and if you're a fan of the chicken and rice special they have on Saturdays, it is no longer on the menu. I'm not too sad about it but that was my girlfriend's favorite dinner. Luckily, we found a decent copycat recipe on the internet. I ordered one of their big ole breakfasts and there was so much food in front of me I felt like Vianey AND Allen.

Back to the show, I think Vianey and Allen were two of the all-stars of a season that was very hit and miss. I like it when the patients succeed and I hope they will continue to help each other. It was painful to watch them eat all that food at the beginning.

• Love 8

They're showing a rerun of Vianey & Allen, and I have to admit my first reason is to see the mattress fly to freedom.     I had so little hope about their outcome at the beginning, but I really love how this one ended, and hope they're still doing well.  They both had such horrible childhoods, and I really hope they can have a good life together, and regain their health.  

I forgot about their epic journey to Houston, where a 16 hour trip took four full days.    Plus, the drive thru at Long John Silver's, for the 16 piece family pack, and a milkshake.   

Then the apartment rental office where they had packed the necessary paperwork on the U-Haul truck.      I'm surprised the person at the apartment office was there, even a few minutes after the office was closed.    I don't blame Allen's cousin and the other man with being mad at being told they have to sleep in the truck.  I'm so glad the relative loaned them money for motel rooms.  

I was so afraid for Vianey later in the program.   

I really hope they have an update on them this season.    A couple like this that try so hard make up for the others that don't even want to be in the program.    

(it's on Discovery Life, they rerun the current season, and golden oldies on there)

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 5/18/2019 at 10:52 AM, MillieSparklepants said:

I was angry that they didn't seem to care at all about leaving a mattress on the road or causing an accident.

l was, too. They didn't tie anything down at all; that's not only mind-bogglingly stupid, but dangerous. They could have killed multiple people. Vianey's reaction to the mattress? "Where am I going to sleep?" What a selfish, stupid bitch! When my husband and I had to swerve because of a mattress falling off the back of a truck, we called 911 immediately and gave them the location because that is a huge road hazard. I don't see these two as sweet, rather as selfish and amazingly stupid. TIE THINGS DOWN. OH MY FUCKING GOD. And try to at least pretend to give a shit when that doesn't work out.

Further evidence that Vianey is selfish? When she just said listlessly, "Sorry, guys," to her helpers about having forgotten to bring the correct documentation. I don't believe that she packed the right documents on purpose, because it doesn't make sense that she'd bring an out-of-date document to the apartment complex. I think she is really that dumb and got them mixed up. I'd have felt terrible and would have been apologising all over the place if I'd been in her shoes; I legit would have felt sick to my stomach at the situation I'd have put my friends in. But not Vianey. "Sorry, guys." Then she and hubs call J, who wisely heads them off at the pass. Allen says he knew J didn't have any extra money, but I don't buy that either. They clearly were hoping he would throw some cash their way to help them out of the predicament which they themselves caused. Lying grifters. I strongly dislike both of them.

Icing on the cake when she whines about not getting surgery instead of freaking out that she almost died. This is someone who does not easily put together cause and effect.

Edited by Ralphster

Watched their episode again and I am struck anew by how ridiculous Vianey looks with her stupid hairbows. She resembles nothing so much as an over-primped cocker spaniel. Hairbows on grown women are associated in my mind with serious emotional problems, and ding ding ding, we have a winner! It has been my experience that women who try so hard to cling to little-girl accoutrements, including the colour pink, have some emotional shit going down. I wanted to be a ballerina, too, but like Marie said on Mad Men, "The world cannot support that many ballerinas."

I'm still disgusted by their blase attitude about the mattress. "Oh, we could have just killed some people? Where am I going to sleep?" "You mean I just technically died on the table? But what about my weight loss surgery?" Vianey is horrible. Absolutely horrible. And I side-eye anyone romantically involved with someone who is both stupid and self-absorbed to such an extreme degree.

Edited by Ralphster
  • Love 2