Type keyword(s) to search

sMothered - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I call bullshit on the Lamaze instructor who said that in the last 15 years she hadn't had a pregnant woman be there with her mother.  There've been no pregnant teenage girls in Brooklyn the last 15 years?  No career women who chose to have a baby without having a relationship with the father?  No women whose partners split when they heard a baby was coming?

I was flabbergasted that Dawn had other children.  I guess because they were boys they luckily escaped her determination to have a mini-me.  I lost track of how many times she said "I" during the conversation with Jared.  What an egotist.  

• Love 7

I tried with this show but just can't continue. I dislike everyone on this show, can't even enjoy hate watching them.  The NJ/Italian family ... the mom... her eye-liner... it drives me nuts. I would love to see what she looks like with regular eye makeup. 

Also, I don't trust how much each of these pairs is completely amping up/faking this stuff... just to build their reality tv show.  I know that's an aspect of all reality shows, but on this one, it seems a bit more overt. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

I was flabbergasted that Dawn had other children.

He was very handsome, too!  And a doctah!

• Love 6
13 hours ago, DiamondGirl said:

He was very handsome, too!  And a doctah!

I looked him up to see what kind of doctor he was (ER, and a hot one at that) and was shocked to see he was on The Bachelorette a few years ago (Rachel's season).  I don't remember him at all.  He said his sister signed him up for the show because she's a dating coach.  So, Cher's also a dating coach.  The whole family has famewhore blood running. 

• Love 6
21 hours ago, ShaNaeNae said:

Black, white and red together are like the mascot colors of trashy decor. 

Snort....giggle...snort.... Thank you! I so needed a laugh this morning!! And yes, all those sMothers would make even Oedipus cringe. 

• LOL 4
16 hours ago, DiamondGirl said:

Hahahaha - no doubt.  Props to them for having real careers, too, though.  Except Dawn, apparently.

That was another question I had.  While in his talking head segment, he said "my whole family is doctors..." and mumbled something I could not make out that had his mom, forgetting and medical school in the same sentence.  If anyone heard it, can you verify Dawn DID NOT go to medical school?  There's no way.  The woman is as dumb as a bag of carrots and thought the "radiation" from the plane reaching altitude can harm Cher's pregnancy. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ShaNaeNae said:

That was another question I had.  While in his talking head segment, he said "my whole family is doctors..." and mumbled something I could not make out that had his mom, forgetting and medical school in the same sentence.  If anyone heard it, can you verify Dawn DID NOT go to medical school?  There's no way.  The woman is as dumb as a bag of carrots and thought the "radiation" from the plane reaching altitude can harm Cher's pregnancy. 

I thought he said she forgets they went to medical school.

I looked her up and it says she worked as a dental hygienist to put her husband through med school and now runs his practice as administrator.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, DiamondGirl said:

I thought he said she forgets they went to medical school.

I looked her up and it says she worked as a dental hygienist to put her husband through med school and now runs his practice as administrator.

Oh, that's what he said, makes sense.  I wouldn't even think she'd be smart enough to run his practice.  So in that family, women are nurses/hygienists, but leave the doctoring to the men.

• Love 1

Wow I thought the topless photo with jeans was sleazy, but when they pulled the jeans down below their bottoms??? That looked so trashy. It wasn’t attractive or sexy at all. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Whenever I watch this show, I feel like I’m witnessing Grey Gardens-level adult abuse and manipulation.  These are grown women, not wayward teenagers.  I sure hope it’s all for the drama, but the daughters need to tell the moms to back the eff off.

(And oh my God, the photo shoot.  I firmly believe that people should be able to do what they want to do, but that is disgusting.  That is a level of dysfunction that I can’t even comprehend.  I can’t imagine asking my mother to participate in something like that with me, much less getting the photo framed to present to my father.  They need to get some help.)

Edited by Suzy Rhapsody
  • Love 8

I’m a glutton for punishment. I peeped Mariah’s Insta. Mostly butt shots with her waist photoshopped to cartoonish proportions. She’s not that cute, but apparently she makes money. Weird relationship with the Mother where she takes the lead. 

I guess the one with the rats nest dyed black hair and orange spray tan who was driving around with Gene Simmons and bitching about a party is auditioning for Real Housewives if Chicago?

This shit is so fake.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Holy shit (pun intended), that communion party was the tackiest first communion party I've ever seen. And I was raised Catholic, so I've been to plenty to know what they're normally like. Who gets their hair and makeup professionally done for their son's first communion? And who wears that dress to their son's first communion? At least the extended family seems to be sane. The Greek chorus interviews are my favorite part of the show. (And I'm from Chicago - south side Irish - and it's not a first communion party without the Holy Trinity - mostaccioli, Italian beef, and fried or broasted chicken. The pasta they were eating did look really good, though.)

I'm not even exaggerating when I say this, I can legit picture Sunhe hiring a hitman to kill Jason and/or Angelica. This woman is fucking nuts. I noticed today that she almost always refers to Angelica as "my daughter." She's a person that exists outside of you, Sunhe!

Doing a topless photoshoot with your mom is so fucking weird and inappropriate. Thank God the other daughter has one sane parent. I really wonder if as Mariah gets older she's going to look back and see how inappropriate this all is. She seems pretty vapid, so probably not.

• Love 7

On this show, the obsession with long, stringy, greasy hair is beyond comprehension. Most of these women ignore their health and end up with mountainous, dimpled, aorta-clogged bodies, and then they paste on hilarious spider eyelashes, eagle nail talons, and again, all that disgusting stringy hair that is probably all over their houses, food, and in their ass cracks, not to mention the gross synthetic "hair" twine riddling their cats' hairballs (I assume they all have lots of cats). And everyone apparently has to arrange their long mops on either side of their enormous fake boobs at every opportunity. Yuck.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

That photo shoot was disgusting.  Mariah is having a love affair with her butt.  Mom was stupid to participate.   Dawn shut up, your daughter is having  baby with a man, her husband, not you.  Go live your life with your husband.  That Sunhe(sp) is downright scary.  She is nuts. I think her daughter is really afraid of her.   The Italian mom and daughter crack me up. Kathy the mom's own friend dissed what she was wearing. That party was over the top even for Italians.

• Love 4
(edited)

I attempted to watch this but couldn't manage.

All of these women and their daughters are unbearable. As you've all mentioned, the two I find the most insufferable are Kathy and Cristina. I cannot stand Kathy. I usually refrain from speaking about appearance but who told her that her hair and eyeliner make her look presentable? The clothing choices are questionable as well. 

I'm assuming a lot of this show is scripted (Victoria's ?? Is that her name ?? date showed that) but I still can't stand these women. I was prepared to like Cristina's husband for putting Kathy in her place but then I checked out his Instagram and realized how irritating he was as well.

My Nonna would have turned her nose up at that Communion. 

Also, my father pointed out that Dawn sounds like Janice from Friends. "OH MY GAWD, CHAWR!"

Edited by GoldDustWoman.
  • Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:15 PM, TMI said:

Barebutt mother and daughter -not really an attractive look!

I loved that mom's butt was the better looking butt.  And what exactly was the point?  Fun future flip through the family photo album, and here we have grandma and great grandma bare ass...

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 7/21/2019 at 10:35 PM, MerBearStare said:

Holy shit (pun intended), that communion party was the tackiest first communion party I've ever seen. And I was raised Catholic, so I've been to plenty to know what they're normally like. Who gets their hair and makeup professionally done for their son's first communion? And who wears that dress to their son's first communion? At least the extended family seems to be sane. The Greek chorus interviews are my favorite part of the show. (And I'm from Chicago - south side Irish - and it's not a first communion party without the Holy Trinity - mostaccioli, Italian beef, and fried or broasted chicken. The pasta they were eating did look really good, though.)

I'm not even exaggerating when I say this, I can legit picture Sunhe hiring a hitman to kill Jason and/or Angelica. This woman is fucking nuts. I noticed today that she almost always refers to Angelica as "my daughter." She's a person that exists outside of you, Sunhe!

Doing a topless photoshoot with your mom is so fucking weird and inappropriate. Thank God the other daughter has one sane parent. I really wonder if as Mariah gets older she's going to look back and see how inappropriate this all is. She seems pretty vapid, so probably not.

I'm Northwest side Catholic.  I've been to communions like that, at the same venue, and that's even my church, St. Vincent Ferrer in River Forest.  My kids did K-8 at that school.  We are a whole different breed out here.  LOL  

ETA:  the whole Carlo wants a big party, we want a small party is bullshit.  As soon as the communion date is released, places like immediately book up.  I dare you to find a venue the first Saturday in May around here. 

Edited by TV Diva Queen
  • Love 2

This show should have a pop-up video style running diagnosis commentary by a psychologist. I guess what The Learning Channel is teaching is Abnormal Psych.

They should swap spouses because I’d LOVE to see Carlo deal with Dawn and Cher. 

I’m guessing that these mother/daughter groupings were cast because they have an abnormally right relationship but that for the most part (the 1st Communion Party excluded) the actual events and outings we see are completely scripted for the show. They’re just too clearly out of central casting. 

The shame is that the mothers, at least, should be smart enough to realize that the shame will endure long after the money they make from this show is spent. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Kangatush said:

I loved that mom's butt was the better looking butt.  And what exactly was the point?  Fun future flip through the family photo album, and here we have grandma and great grandma bare ass...

Memories are priceless!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

We are a whole different breed out here.  LOL  

LOL, apparently. For me, if a communion/confirmation/graduation party doesn't involve folding tables set up in a garage, I'm not interested 🙂

And thank you for mentioning River Forest. I've been trying to figure out where they are because I knew it wasn't Chicago proper.

• Love 2
On 7/24/2019 at 8:19 PM, MerBearStare said:

LOL, apparently. For me, if a communion/confirmation/graduation party doesn't involve folding tables set up in a garage, I'm not interested 🙂

And thank you for mentioning River Forest. I've been trying to figure out where they are because I knew it wasn't Chicago proper.

.....And they live in Norridge. 

Cher and her mom are annoying, but like others have said, I find them to be harmless. Super close and annoying, but I don't find their relationship disturbing. They actually seem like they may be nice people as long as they don't break your eardrums with their screeching. One thing though, is it me or does Cher's mom seem to have an unusually large head? 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 6/17/2019 at 1:58 PM, Neurochick said:

The scary thing is that I don't think this is fake.  Most people might not be this extreme but I know this exists.  I had a neighbor whose daughter had some type of developmental issues.  The mother was ill, so her daughter became her nurse/companion.  The daughter never got a real job, never got into a relationship.  When the mother died, the daughter was in her mid forties; turns out she never put her daughter's name on the apartment lease.  Neighbors had to write the landlord swearing that the daughter grew up in that apartment.  But it didn't matter because within a year the daughter was evicted; she'd never worked a job, and thought her mother's social security would keep going to her after her mother died.  That didn't happen.  The daughter ran out of money and was evicted. 

I've known of cases where the mothers had daughters who were mentally ill.  Instead of getting them help, they kept them home, maybe believing they were protecting him.  But what those mothers didn't realize is that their daughters would outlive them.  So the mom dies, the daughter's left in the house.  In once case, the daughter stopped taking her medicine (since her mother wasn't there to administer it to her) and ended up going into a coma and eventually dying, the other woman couldn't pay the bills, and when the heat was turned off, tried to start a fire in the fireplace and nearly burned down the home in the process.

What these mothers don't realize is that, being a good parent means that your child will be able to live on their own without you.

With all due respect, I don't think developmentally delayed children, those with mental disorders, etc, can be compared with normal children when it comes to life goals.

For the average person, it should indeed be the goal of a parent to raise an independent child. That is not often possible with special needs adults. Even if they have their own housing, they often need various types of support. They are often incognizant of many aspects of day to day life  no matter the efforts of parents and teachers to educate them otherwise. I do agree the effort should be made, and back up measures taken in preparation for the parents' demise.

• Love 2

I couldn't believe the communion party mom and daughter dressed like dime hookers insisting they did nothing wrong. Try showing a little respect for your family, community and church and leave the famewhoring for another day. Would not like to have had this family be mine at my first communion. What an embarrassment.

I thought it would be impossible to top the mother who arranged for a stripper at her daughter's party, but I was wrong. These people bring out the prude in me. They need boundaries, pronto.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

Was this the last episode?  I don't see a new episode next week or in the future.  It just ended with nothing resolved.  Feels flat.

Yes, it was the season finale. 

• Love 2

The 2 from chicago (sorry I can't remember their names), if my grandma showed up in that outfit for my communion I would be so embarrassed. I have a large, loud Italian family. If someone was dressed like that everyone would be talking about them! I can't believe they threw out Uncle Joe for saying something. True story....my aunt was drunk at one of her weddings (third?fourth? can't remember) and was showing her naked butt on the dance floor and basically embarrassing herself. Everyone was talking about her, including all my grandma's (her mother) sisters. The next morning my grandma called her daughter and told her all her class was in her a@# and she embarassed herself in front of everyone. My grandma would have said the same thing to these 2.

• Love 1

I didn't think anything could  beat that over the top communion party, but the gender reveal did.  I have never seen a party so big for a gender reveal.  It was ridiculous.   Sunhe and Angelica are just plain creepy.  The bare ass twins are disgusting, I feel sorry for the younger daughter. I find their relationship along with Sunhe and Angelica disturbing.   Kathy and Christina, are typical, I am familiar with their whole situation, I come from an Italian family too.  

• Love 2

The Two from Chicagoland are hilarious....they are clearly into the hijinks and do things to egg each other on.  I agree that people invited to a party -with a Hot Mic- need to WAIT UNTIL THEY GET HOME to talk about the Party Givers.  Sheesh!  Like Carlo’s attitude- it’s a long haul for him.  The little girl who wanted Grandma to smell her feet- hilarious!  I like them all.  

• Love 2

Instead of spending money on hair extensions, fake eyelashes, and pounds of makeup, Angelica needs to get her teeth fixed. 

And did I hear Chr’s brother correctly? he called his mother “mommy”???  I find that as weird as Cher and her mother dressing like twins.

All of the mothers and daughters featured on the show were tacky, tacky, tacky fame hos.

5 hours ago, PityFree said:

And did I hear Chr’s brother correctly? he called his mother “mommy”???  I find that as weird as Cher and her mother dressing like twins.

They’re from Florida but that family has obvious NYC or vicinity roots.  My former husband is a NYC boy and they use Mommy and Daddy as adults quite typically.

• Useful 1
On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 7:50 PM, DiamondGirl said:

They’re from Florida but that family has obvious NYC or vicinity roots.  My former husband is a NYC boy and they use Mommy and Daddy as adults quite typically.

My mother is Southern and she referred to her parents as Mother and Daddy.  She says it's pretty common.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:01 PM, Angeltoes said:

I call bullshit on the Lamaze instructor who said that in the last 15 years she hadn't had a pregnant woman be there with her mother.  There've been no pregnant teenage girls in Brooklyn the last 15 years?  No career women who chose to have a baby without having a relationship with the father?  No women whose partners split when they heard a baby was coming?

That did not strike me as your typical Lamaze class run by a hospital, or community center.  It seemed very specialized, probably for the wealthy.

And since when is it an epidural and no other method explored?  There are many women who would have adored drugs, but the labor happened too fast/they were delayed getting to the hospital so they had no choice in the matter. 

15 hours ago, ShaNaeNae said:

Found this online, Cher & Jared's wedding.  Her mom wore a dress and crown just like the bride.  I can't...

I expected a picture.  You did not adequately prepare me for the majestic horror of that fake movie trailer.  :)

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 7/31/2019 at 12:34 AM, Kangatush said:

I expected a picture.  You did not adequately prepare me for the majestic horror of that fake movie trailer.  🙂

I do owe you one!  How about I'll ask TLC to stop showing sMothered.  Consider it done. 

It just hit me that Cher is so Pinterest Basic Bitch.  If it's on Pinterest and it's a new thing everyone's doing, Cher's doing it for her birthday party, wedding, gender reveal, babies first photoshoot, baby birthday, etc.  I'm sure she had a cutesy pregnancy announcement of her and her husband hands holding a pair of little tennis shoes by their pinkies. 

On 7/21/2019 at 10:35 PM, MerBearStare said:

South side Polack goes like this ... chicken beef and polish sausage.  

Also, they're not technically from Chicago ... as a native Chicagoan, this irritates me to no end.

And lastly, the mom Kathy looked familar ... and BINGO ... for your watching pleasure:

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Kathy and her Smothered daughter do not live in Chicago - they live in Norridge.  As a Chicagoan by birth, this little thing annoys the crap out of me.

Also ... enjoy retro Kathy on Oprah ....

• Love 2
13 hours ago, chuckity said:

South side Polack goes like this ... chicken beef and polish sausage.  

Also, they're not technically from Chicago ... as a native Chicagoan, this irritates me to no end.

And lastly, the mom Kathy looked familar ... and BINGO ... for your watching pleasure:

Wow, you remembered a guest from Oprah from over 30 years ago, I can't remember what I ate for breakfast.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, chuckity said:

Kathy and her Smothered daughter do not live in Chicago - they live in Norridge.  As a Chicagoan by birth, this little thing annoys the crap out of me.

Also ... enjoy retro Kathy on Oprah ....

Wow, I was figuring that she was better looking in her younger years.  I was wrong.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Thanks for that link! I like her husband too!  Who knew?  As he was talking all I could think was a comparison between sports and soap operas.....and the next thing you know, that comes out of his mouth!  I’ve never heard that comparison before, but then again I’ve never seen someone talk about their love of sports so passionately.....and eloquently.  Kudos.

In our house, we can never unsee Sunhe’s cray cray pawing of her daughters arm while saying “Now it will be Just you and me again (and my boyfriend)...”

How come Sunhe gets a love interest but not her 31 year old daughter?  If she’d been a half decent parent and not so concerned with creating a shadow of herself, she would have given her girl some Self-esteem so guys like that would not have been an option for her.  Instead, the daughter finds a guy who has some major baggage but throws in a little love and That Good Enough for her.....sad.

Also will never unsee the daughter literally Jump out of bed - into the closet for yet another black outfit -then ZOOM AWAY in her car while the mom is in the tub.....haha!  Thanks for that Smothered!

5 hours ago, Eme said:

Thanks for that link! I like her husband too!  Who knew?  As he was talking all I could think was a comparison between sports and soap operas.....and the next thing you know, that comes out of his mouth!  I’ve never heard that comparison before, but then again I’ve never seen someone talk about their love of sports so passionately.....and eloquently.  Kudos.

In our house, we can never unsee Sunhe’s cray cray pawing of her daughters arm while saying “Now it will be Just you and me again (and my boyfriend)...”

How come Sunhe gets a love interest but not her 31 year old daughter?  If she’d been a half decent parent and not so concerned with creating a shadow of herself, she would have given her girl some Self-esteem so guys like that would not have been an option for her.  Instead, the daughter finds a guy who has some major baggage but throws in a little love and That Good Enough for her.....sad.

Also will never unsee the daughter literally Jump out of bed - into the closet for yet another black outfit -then ZOOM AWAY in her car while the mom is in the tub.....haha!  Thanks for that Smothered!

*Ex husband 

• Useful 1
On 8/3/2019 at 1:49 PM, TV Diva Queen said:

*Ex husband 

I'll have to watch the link later (I'm at work), but are they divorced?  So all this time on the show, she's been single?  I just figured the husband didn't want to be apart of this trash cannister. 

On 8/3/2019 at 8:04 AM, Eme said:

You know what struck me as funny?  Twice they've shown Angelica in bed just waking up (which I'm sure was just a reenactment) and Sunhe coming in to greet her in the morning.  But on the first episode they stated they sleep together and spoon.  Was this just said to up the ew factor?  Cause she was clearly sleeping alone (other half of the bed was made). 

• LOL 1