Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E01: Week 1

• Start Topic

(edited)

I'm watching pretend scooping of popcorn into the package Joe "The Box Man" jumped out of.

I'm starting to love Chris Harrison.  After all this time.

Edited by rebel2u
Correcting bad syntax. I blame the wine.
  • Love 6
58 minutes ago, b2H said:

Is it ok that, ‘just like “let’s do this damned thing”, I am already sick of ‘roll tide’?  Just over done and overwrought.

Me too. I’m a Georgia Bulldog so I have been sick of “roll tide” for years 😜

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, phlebas said:

I'm going to avoid the rush and start hating Johnpauljones early.

I hated him the minute he introduced himself. He reminds me of Jennifer Garner's hockey boyfriend in 13 Going on 30 -- it's the hair. His career is John Paul Jones. All is friends call him John Paul Jones. Hannah should pray the producers don't make her keep him past next week. 

• Love 7

This is a first for me... I dislike everyone on this season. It’s the most shockingly dislikeable season ever.

I thought that since Hannah was always smiling and giggling she would bring a sense of joy to the season, but so far, everyone seems so lame and unenthusiastic.

Also, I have no idea what roll tide means. She was saying it last season and I just thought: oh that’s her jam. Her cultural shout out. But seeing that they had it on a bridge in her hometown, I guess it has significance. I started thinking I had heard it in old westerns, but I think that’s raw hide, so... probably not the same thing.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, lids said:

Also, I have no idea what roll tide means. She was saying it last season and I just thought: oh that’s her jam. Her cultural shout out. But seeing that they had it on a bridge in her hometown, I guess it has significance. I started thinking I had heard it in old westerns, but I think that’s raw hide, so... probably not the same thing.

That made me laugh. It’s a cheer or something from University of Alabama. (Or some Alabama college). But yes, it can now stop being said!

• Love 3
(edited)
17 minutes ago, nutty1 said:

Now to have to go to the ABC site because I don’t know who most of these guys are!

Don't bother. They all look exactly alike in those promo photos. They did all look better IRL, thank goodness.

Was there packing popcorn in Box Joe's box? If there was, why wasn't it stuck all over his black suit? I'm cranky today and didn't think CH's fake sweeping was funny. I wanted to see a bachelor goof.

15 minutes ago, SallyAlbright said:

I hope she's talking to Luke in that promo. He seems like the possessive type. 

Isn't Luke the one who found God in the shower? He did admit he was a dickwad before he found The Lord and saved himself. Maybe he reverted somewhere over Europe.

10 minutes ago, lids said:

Also, I have no idea what roll tide means.

Since Alabama's football team is the Crimson Tide, "Roll Tide" is a rally cry, kinda like Kansas' catch phrase is "Rock Chalk Jayhawk." It also can be a greeting or to tell someone goodbye. As in: "Roll tide, Scott."

Unfortunately, this season isn't going to Roll Tide until Hannah gets her ring.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, nutty1 said:

Every guy on reminds me of a past contestant. We have Nick, Luke Pell, Andy Baldwin, Tanner, Clay, to name only a few. 

Haha. Every guy reminded me of one of the Avengers. There was Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye. Alas, no Captain America. 

• LOL 4
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Who is Matt Dione? Was he one who got sent home? Now I have to go look him up. *sigh* But I agree, what a dick.

He’s the Andy Baldwin look alike from the hearing impaired family. 

F0DE6D20-2323-4D6F-AEA3-C964EDDB1773.png

48 minutes ago, phlebas said:

Too late. The line is already out the door and around the block.

• LOL 7
  • Love 9
17 minutes ago, nutty1 said:

He’s the Andy Baldwin look alike from the hearing impaired family. 

According to what I've found in my search, Matt Dione was kicked off the show before filming. He had been stalking a woman on social media and got busted. The guy with the hearing-impaired family is Matt Donald, not Matt Dione. All the articles that talk about Dione being removed from the show are from March. Here's his photo, I pulled it from Cosmopolitan's website. (They got it from ABC):

matt-dione.jpg.b94ef4bda6a8824c370d987bcb6a94f2.jpg

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I thought that Chicago box guy Joe was trying to be the next Grocery Store Joe (who was also from Chicago)

Hey, everyone! There are good guys in Chicago - honest!!!

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

According to what I've found in my search, Matt Dione was kicked off the show before filming. He had been stalking a woman on social media and got busted. The guy with the hearing-impaired family is Matt Donald, not Matt Dione. All the articles that talk about Dione being removed from the show are from March. Here's his photo, I pulled it from Cosmopolitan's website. (They got it from ABC):

matt-dione.jpg.b94ef4bda6a8824c370d987bcb6a94f2.jpg

Oops. My bad. See, my brain turns to mush after only 2 hours of this crap!!

• LOL 1

From RS:

"At the beginning of the season for the first time ever, we know that ABC released 33 men on the “Bachelorette” Facebook page. I can tell you that 3 of those guys never made the cut: Joe Romeo, Matt Dione, and Ben Granger. Hannah’s season started with 30 guys, with 8 going home on the first night."

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, phlebas said:

On ABC's cast page, John Paul Jones' occupation is listed as John Paul Jones. It appears the show hates him too.

• LOL 10
  • Love 5
(edited)

How University of Alabama became known as the Crimson Tide:

"Hugh Roberts, former sports editor of the Birmingham Age-Herald, is credited with coining the phrase "Crimson Tide" in an article describing the 1907 Iron Bowl played in Birmingham with Auburn a heavy favorite to win. The game was played in a sea of red mud which stained the Alabama white jerseys crimson."

University of Alabama has won 6 National championships and has placed in the top 5 for 25 of the last 29 years.  Under Nick Saban, Alabama won 5 of those national championships (Nick Saban was mentioned in that one guy's rap).

I went to a competing huge school, and yes, Alabama is a big deal.

BTW, I absolutely adore Hannah as The Bachelorette.  I was almost going to skip this season, because I thought she was the most bumbling, wordless female on Colton's season, but girl is bringing it.  Not only is she breathtaking to look at, but I absolutely loved her take-down of Scott, and her toast (well-rehearsed, I'm sure) was fantastic.

I hope she finds love, and I'm here for it!

Edited by Sterling
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)

Had to hurry here to voice my displeasure at her not choosing Chasen. Holy hotness!! Sad he didn't stick around. I also yelled at the TV when Tyler the wannabe dancer was busting his pathetic moves. What a complete douche. I hate him already. And John Paul Jones, it goes without saying.

There seem to be some overly "shaped" brows on the men. Is this a thing? I don't like it.

I'm kind of meh on Hannah. I am suspicious of someone who smiles that much.

Edited by sauce62
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9

I’m in. She’s confident and nice and didn’t go all “boohoo it’s so hard to send people home” at the rose ceremony. The guys all seem gaga over her. Hope it will be fun.

Sorta liked that the fake bffs spilled the fake beans to Hannah on Scott’s having a girlfriend only because it might keep the tiresome tattletale plot-line at bay, where a little fake clique self-righteously feels the need to expose other contestants’ wrong-reason shenanigans to the lead. 

I heard her say “nailed it” a couple of times—maybe Hannah has two catch phrases! We’ll have quite the drinking game this season!

• Love 6

I like Hannah. Usually the Bachelorette's are so vanilla and boring. Hannah seems spunky.

I also like the guy who go the first impression rose. After Hannah said she needed a minute, I was wondering which guy would check on her.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, rebel2u said:

I'm warching pretend scooping popcorn into to Joe "The Box Man" 's package.

I'm starting to love Chris Harrison.  After all this time.

All I could think was no way in hell would Chris Harrison be doing that manual labor!

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Just tuned in. In time to see the Dancing Construction Worker. I said "What a dick" out loud to him on my teevee.

When they first showed him doing the construction work, they were playing some kind of hunky music, and I thought to myself "He may be a construction worker, but he is not hunky at all".  And then they showed the dancing, and I wondered if, um, he maybe didn't realize that this show features a female as the lead?

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'll remember Matt Donald. And LOL at him smelling like diesel or gasoline after getting off that tractor. But I'm hoping he makes it to hometowns (TPTB might make sure he does) since I want to see his family interact, PLUS all those cool critters.

Very surprised that she didn't give him a rose.

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, nutty1 said:

All I got so far is that Mike is cute. 

Is Mike the one who received the first rose during the rose ceremony?  He reminds me so much of Shannon from Vanessa's Second Chances season of Married at First Sight.

9 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Hannah’s really trying to play up that she cares that the guy had a girlfriend . A little over dramatic especially since it was clearly set up . 

but his reaction was ridiculous--comparing it to her dating Colton. the guy was a total jerk and I loved that she called him out.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Miss Slay said:

I like Hannah. Usually the Bachelorette's are so vanilla and boring. Hannah seems spunky.

I also like the guy who go the first impression rose. After Hannah said she needed a minute, I was wondering which guy would check on her.

in comparing hannah to deanna (ugh) , Emily (big veneers, boobs and icy exterior), Jen Sheft (who looked so bored the whole season) and a few others, she is in my opinion doing really great!! she is VERY pretty and definitely not your proper pretty princess. I think shes a great choice!!

• Love 5
8 hours ago, adhoc said:

There were 2-3 guys who I was sorry to see go (yep, Chasen being among them). As someone said upthread, see you in Paradise.

I wish someone told chasen to wear his uniform---even thought everyone would have loved it, it would have changed the outcome I think.

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, I'm glad Hannah has 30 men and a lot of people here who find her stunningly beautiful, because I just can't get over why the powers that be chose a woman who  walks hunched forward like it's her first time in heels, clutches her arms across her chest like a preteen with brand new boobs, has a smile so forced her whole face wrinkles and strains from the effort, and has the tiny eyes and huge jaw of a pit bull.   "There's no accounting for taste, " is a real thing.

I also question her sudden ability to talk.  How is it that the same woman who couldn't think of a toast can now make a long speech about how hurtful it is to herself and others for someone to come on this show when he already has a girlfriend at home!  I'll be watching for evidence of cue cards.

It looks like a good season though, we'll have highland games and ambulances to look forward to!

Edited by JudyObscure
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7

Welcome back, gang! I was too tired to post last night...and now I forgot everything I was going to say.

Mike is my favorite. He’s sweet to his great-grandma, has an actual job (in finance of some type), and seems to have a high EQ to go along with his high IQ. I liked Connor —the tall one, also in finance—if I were picking someone for my nearly 23-year-old daughter (who, coincidentally is also in finance).

But as for the guys I could relate to the most personally, would have to go with the gaggle of guys poised behind the fence, drinks in hand, commenting on everyone’s arrival. 

I cant believe Hannah wasted an hour on Scott! That’s ridiculous! Ok, so the producers are going to make you film a scene confronting him, fine. But no need to drag it out—and then spend time moping poolside. You talked to him for 5 minutes and have 29 other dudes in there! It’s not like you’re three-quarters into the season and are falling for the guy. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out, and go grab another guy to talk to!

So glad the Box King went home. If I heard “box” one more time...though the best scene of the night was Harrison sweeping up those packing peanuts.

John Paul Jones, professional John Paul Jones, is this year’s Kalon, and I can’t wait to see what ridiculous snark he’s going to bring. So, we can’t even call him JPJ?

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

I just watched this episode and am totally shocked no one showed up in a costume. 

I liked the farm guy, was that Matt who was eliminated? I wanted to see more of the animals.

Girlfriend guy was a jerk. You knew he was toast when he started to fault Hannah ("you just did the same thing with Colton").

• Love 5
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Girlfriend guy was a jerk. You knew he was toast when he started to fault Hannah ("you just did the same thing with Colton").

Yep, first official gaslight of the season.  She points out that he has a girlfriend, and he deflects back to her that she "did the same thing" with Colton, forcing her to go into defensive mode, removing the attention from his lying a**.

I was proud of her for not only standing up for herself, but for what she said, and how articulately she said it.  Not just to him, but to the rest of the guys too.  Proving that she's not just some "sweet pageant girl", but a girl who demands honesty and respect.  

Girls like her, who lived life in a pageant/dance/recital bubble, can often be taken advantage of later in life, with their pasted-on smiles on Vaseline-soaked teeth.  So far, Hannah is showing that yes, that was a huge part of her life, but this is now.

I like that she owns up to the fact that she's not perfect.  I know it's a silly thing, but I can't stand all my Facebook friends who went on to do pageants and are now in their 40's, 50's, and yes, even beyond, still posing, Botoxing beyond recognition, still plugging their "perfect" life.  Hannah is showing years of maturity in recognizing that she put on "pageant perfection" for years, but that, as a person, she has flaws, and she expects her guys to have flaws, so let's have fun and get to know each other, as real people.

She really impressed me last night.  And I've really detested several Bachelorettes:  Andi, DeAnna, Emily (too fake-looking and stiff).  

Is it bad that I had schadenfreude when Andi showed up at the Bachelorette reunion as the only single girl?

Edited by Sterling
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Sterling said:

Proving that she's not just some "sweet pageant girl", but a girl who demands honesty and respect.  

I would never put "sweet" and "pageant girl" in the same sentence.  All the ones I've known have been ruthlessly competitive and extremely conceited.  They tend to think they're the prettiest girl in the  world and will show you the tiaras to prove it.  I can't believe Hannah is any different. Didn't Caelyn say she went nuts with jealousy when it looked like she wasn't going to win Miss USA? Why would she enter herself in the Miss Alabama contest if she didn't think she was the prettiest girl in the  state?  She may have learned to make a few modest sounding noises about not being perfect, but she's on this show,  and absolutely shocked to find out one of the men might be on the show for some other reason than that he already  wants to marry her. 

She reminds me of the time on "Designing Women," when some little girl asked Susanne Sugarbaker if she was the prettiest woman in the whole wide world, and Suzanne answered, "I like to think so!"

• Love 11

Oh shoot, I'm sorry that Matt with the Deaf family went home.  That's a real shame.  I'm involved with the Deaf community as my husband is deaf and I wanted to see that represented on screen.  If I were him, I would have spent time showing her how to say things like I Love You and Marry me in sign.  That would have been cute. 

I don't really watch this show or the Bachelor, but I might stick with it this season because I don't like Luke and I want to see him go up in flames. 

In looking at all the men I noticed no Asian men.  Is this typical?

• Love 7
3 hours ago, JenE4 said:

Mike is my favorite. He’s sweet to his great-grandma, has an actual job (in finance of some type), and seems to have a high EQ to go along with his high IQ. 

Sorry, but Mike just seems too phony/praticed.  His "Five Cs" in his introduction to Hannah seemed so very calculated to say "Look at how thoughtful and principled I am".  Plus the whole thing with the great-grandma in terms of her being "the first person I fell in love with", was just too slick (and a little sick as well).  I get that it was trying to be clever, with trying to make us think that he was saying goodbye to an old girlfriend before leaving for the show, but the wording was a little icky. 

3 hours ago, JenE4 said:

John Paul Jones, professional John Paul Jones, is this year’s Kalon, and I can’t wait to see what ridiculous snark he’s going to bring. So, we can’t even call him JPJ?

No, please don't ruin the term "JPJ"!  That is the affectionate nickname of the University of Virginia's John Paul Jones arena.  And with JPJ being the home of the men's basketball team, which won the NCAA basketball tournament this year for the very first time (!!!), I don't want a douche-wagon to spoil that by association!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Sterling said:

Yep, first official gaslight of the season.  She points out that he has a girlfriend, and he deflects back to her that she "did the same thing" with Colton, forcing her to go into defensive mode, removing the attention from his lying a**.

I was proud of her for not only standing up for herself, but for what she said, and how articulately she said it.  Not just to him, but to the rest of the guys too.  Proving that she's not just some "sweet pageant girl", but a girl who demands honesty and respect.  

Girls like her, who lived life in a pageant/dance/recital bubble, can often be taken advantage of later in life, with their pasted-on smiles on Vaseline-soaked teeth.  So far, Hannah is showing that yes, that was a huge part of her life, but this is now.

I like that she owns up to the fact that she's not perfect.  I know it's a silly thing, but I can't stand all my Facebook friends who went on to do pageants and are now in their 40's, 50's, and yes, even beyond, still posing, Botoxing beyond recognition, still plugging their "perfect" life.  Hannah is showing years of maturity in recognizing that she put on "pageant perfection" for years, but that, as a person, she has flaws, and she expects her guys to have flaws, so let's have fun and get to know each other, as real people.

She really impressed me last night.  And I've really detested several Bachelorettes:  Andi, DeAnna, Emily (too fake-looking and stiff).  

Is it bad that I had schadenfreude when Andi showed up at the Bachelorette reunion as the only single girl?

thanks for reminding me--hated Andi, and omg HATED kaitlin. also above i posted that Emily was way to fake with her boobs and teeth.

2 minutes ago, Biosynth said:

I don't really watch this show or the Bachelor, but I might stick with it this season because I don't like Luke and I want to see him go up in flames

Me too.  Also, he looks sort of familiar, but the best I can come up with is that he looks like a mash-up of Mark Paul Gosselaar (from Saved By the Bell) and pro baseball player Bryce Harper.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Sterling said:

"Hugh Roberts, former sports editor of the Birmingham Age-Herald, is credited with coining the phrase "Crimson Tide" in an article describing the 1907 Iron Bowl played in Birmingham with Auburn a heavy favorite to win. The game was played in a sea of red mud which stained the Alabama white jerseys crimson."

University of Alabama has won 6 National championships and has placed in the top 5 for 25 of the last 29 years.  Under Nick Saban, Alabama won 5 of those national championships (Nick Saban was mentioned in that one guy's rap).

Don't forget that little-known dude, Bear Bryant.....*LOL*

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

I would never put "sweet" and "pageant girl" in the same sentence.  All the ones I've known have been ruthlessly competitive and extremely conceited.  They tend to think they're the prettiest girl in the  world and will show you the tiaras to prove it.  I can't believe Hannah is any different. Didn't Caelyn say she went nuts with jealousy when it looked like she wasn't going to win Miss USA? Why would she enter herself in the Miss Alabama contest if she didn't think she was the prettiest girl in the  state?  She may have learned to make a few modest sounding noises about not being perfect, but she's on this show,  and absolutely shocked to find out one of the men might be on the show for some other reason than that he already  wants to marry her. 

She reminds me of the time on "Designing Women," when some little girl asked Susanne Sugarbaker if she was the prettiest woman in the whole wide world, and Suzanne answered, "I like to think so!"

Exactly what I’ve seen with pageant girls. I know there are exceptions, but they’re not typically sweet girls unaware of their looks who wind up competing. They are usually girls who are extremely competitive and every bit aware of their beauty. All the ones I’ve known brag about every crown, even if it’s far from an impressive title. I agree that if a girl is that insecure about her looks, no way would she enter a beauty pageant. The most beautiful women have insecurities, but you have to think you are a pretty attractive person to enter a competition based on looks where you probably also have to parade around in a swimsuit in front of a bunch of people. So many girls watching the show can only dream to be as insecure as Hannah. 

It can be endearing when someone beautiful admits to insecurities, but I don’t think the typical girl is going to feel to sorry for someone whose insecurity is maybe not always being the prettiest girl in the room her whole life-that’s more of a pageant girl thing imo. Poor me, I may not be the prettiest princess according to the judges!

I think that ego and competitive nature is seen in a lot of the contestants on these shows-feeling more entitled to someone’s time than the next person, being shocked someone could possibly dump you. That goes for the guys competing on The Bachelorette as well. 

• Love 6

I always remind myself that some of the most beautiful, accomplished, competitive and famous women in the world are totally human, have insecurities and and can have loads of failed relationships behind them: Christie Brinkley, Demi Moore, Angelina Jolie, Halle Berry, etc.  

Makes me feel better about my normal life & relationships.  

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Sterling said:

Ditto. War Eagle.

Buck Fama.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

I always remind myself that some of the most beautiful, accomplished, competitive and famous women in the world are totally human, have insecurities and and can have loads of failed relationships behind them: Christie Brinkley, Demi Moore, Angelina Jolie, Halle Berry, etc.  

Makes me feel better about my normal life & relationships.  

Me too!  I always say, if Christie Brinkley or Halle Berry can't keep a guy from cheating, what are my chances?  LOL

What I'm liking about Hannah so far is that she sticks up for herself and isn't going to let these guys get away with taking her for some "stupid pageant girl".  That world is ruthless, and it looks like she's grown/growing out of it.  She has a viable job now, getting into interior decorating, and yes, she has a huge smile, but that's just the anatomy of her face.  My face is like that too.....millions of teeth.  It's like I can't smile halfway.  Every picture of me is 99% teeth.

I enjoyed her interactions with the little girls in the dance studio.  So cute!

I am not all la-la-la about this show.  Trust me, there have been so many I've gritted my (huge) teeth through.  This one is giving me a much better vibe.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Sterling said:

I see nothing wrong with you getting a chuckle if you don’t like Andi and are amused that her life isn’t going well. But I don’t thing singlehood or couplehood is a measure of success or happiness. 

• Love 11