Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E18: Top 5 (2019.05.12)

• Start Topic

(edited)

The Judges in prayer circles and jumping up and down during and after the results is just too much. They are useless and have provided no valuable feedback. The Voice judges do the same thing and there’s a reason they haven’t turned out anyone with big success.

Edited by geekburger
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, JMarie99 said:

I thought Alejandro’s original song was absolutely beautiful. I guess that’s where his “artistry” comes in. He’s a much better songwriter (and musician) than he is a singer. 

I agree, but I think it's total garbage that the judges have not said one word about his "singing". It's terrible, and he has not tried once the entire season to push his vocals in any new direction. I am so frustrated watching him.

Geez, where were these judges on Season 13 when my favorite "musician" Alex Preston was competing? He probably would have won instead of Caleb if he was on this season with these idiots falling down over his artistry and saying zero about his vocals...........

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, ForReal said:

I find the lack of connection with the songs REALLY off-putting. When Wade was singing "Rocketman," I kept telling my daughter, "That's a really sad song, and you wouldn't know it listening to this." Same with Laci and "Dreams;" she did a fine job of making it her own, but I didn't get the feels like I get when I hear the original.

This. I know these songs are before their time, but the emotions in them aren't so unusual that they can't possibly find some way to relate. It's like they barely spent any time really studying the lyrics beyond just memorizing them for the show. If they're going to have a mentor, maybe they should have somebody who can help them get into the meaning and emotion of these songs. 

Course, I also wonder if some of the reason they're having a hard time connecting with the songs is, as noted above, they've got to learn multiple ones and these seasons are so much shorter. Hard to really spend much time wiht a song and get into the mood of it when you're practically being rushed through it on your way to the next song/round. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 1

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but did anyone else notice that it seems they used everyone's mother's names in the credits? (I'm wildly assuming as I saw the Host was listed as Connie Seacrest, who is apparently Ryan's mom)

Anyway, back to the contestants, it's Laine's to lose. I enjoy listening to Alejandro and Madison, but I enjoy watching Laine perform. He's not polished but just cute and confident enough to pull it off. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, kazza said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but did anyone else notice that it seems they used everyone's mother's names in the credits? (I'm wildly assuming as I saw the Host was listed as Connie Seacrest, who is apparently Ryan's mom)

Anyway, back to the contestants, it's Laine's to lose. I enjoy listening to Alejandro and Madison, but I enjoy watching Laine perform. He's not polished but just cute and confident enough to pull it off. 

They did for many of them, anyway.  I think they did it last year as well.

• Love 3
(edited)

I haven't watched this episode yet, but I really think Alejandro will win. He's got a huge, strong fan base, judging by Instagram. I think winning would be most beneficial to Madison, but I don't really care who wins at this point. 

ETA: ok, having just watched, I think Alejandro's Elton John song and his original were far and away the best of the night. 

Edited by librarianbeck
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, librarianbeck said:

I haven't watched this episode yet, but I really think Alejandro will win. He's got a huge, strong fan base, judging by Instagram. I think winning would be most beneficial to Madison, but I don't really care who wins at this point. 

ETA: ok, having just watched, I think Alejandro's Elton John song and his original were far and away the best of the night. 

I would have to agree. Alejandro singing “Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word” was really heartfelt. You could tell he was really feeling what he was saying. Even after the song was over, he never smiled when the judges talked, he seemed to still be feeling the song. The other contestants don’t seem to be able to connect with the lyrics.

i don’t know what has gone on in Alejandro’s romantic life up to this point, but he seems to have experienced some deep heartbreak. His performance of his original song was...wow. Gripping. I know it is a singing competition, but those lyrics were really amazing, as was his piano playing.

• Love 8

Does anyone happen to know if Laci already has some singing contracts? I'm not a commercial watcher (I attempt to tape all shows so I can ff through commercials); however, I noticed one for Mazda 3 and the female voice singing, "... can't get you out of my head..." or something like that - sounds exactly like her!

(edited)
2 hours ago, Bliss said:

Does anyone happen to know if Laci already has some singing contracts? I'm not a commercial watcher (I attempt to tape all shows so I can ff through commercials); however, I noticed one for Mazda 3 and the female voice singing, "... can't get you out of my head..." or something like that - sounds exactly like her!

I think it would be against her AI contract to have another contract. Maybe you're referring to Dreams (originally by The Cranberries) sung by AI alum, Haley Reinhart? They do have similar voices.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NrWyLIlNrGE

Edited by pezgirl7
6 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

I think it would be against her AI contract to have another contract. Maybe you're referring to Dreams (originally by The Cranberries) sung by AI alum, Haley Reinhart? They do have similar voices.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NrWyLIlNrGE

Thanks for responding... no, it isn't this ad - the one I saw is just a short Mazda 3 blurb with what sounds like Laci singing - but thank you for linking it! I wouldn't mind commercials if they were all as good as this one.

• Love 1