Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
purist

Season 10, episodes 13 to 27

Given that individual episode threads for this crapulous season aren't attracting many posts, I thought we might as well have one big thread for the remaining episodes to be covered on the Again With This podcast.

Episode 13 is called 'Tainted Love' and the relevant AWT page is here. The IMDb synopsis:

The loss of a client's business puts Matt in financial straits because of the engagement ring he bough for Kelly which was paid for with the retainer. Gina tries to help Matt by asking Dylan for the $15,000 Matt owes, but Matt refuses the money because of his own pride and reliance, while he begins lying to Kelly about his financial problems. Meanwhile, Dylan grows uncomfortable about God-parenting to Kelly because of her engagement. David and others benefit from a man's crush on Donna whom she asks out on a date that flops. Also, Noah attempts to fight his loss over breaking up with Donna by hanging out with a pair of wild and crazy swingers, named Josie and her brother Shane, that come to the After Dark every night.

(Hee: 'God-parenting'.)

• Like 2

Matt is a piss poor attorney and he deserved to be disbarred over that foolishness. Never mind spending all you had on an ENGAGEMENT RING, if you really thought this case was “all that” wait until you actually billed for the time and earned the money. He’s awful. 

• Like 3

The longer hair looks good on Kelly. It’s weird how the mid to late 90s was this great short hair era, and then it never really trended again for younger women.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCMLXXVII said:

The longer hair looks good on Kelly. It’s weird how the mid to late 90s was this great short hair era, and then it never really trended again for younger women.

Jennie Garth has a small face- I think she looks great with long hair or the pixie. Mid length bobs don’t do much for her. 

• Like 2

Can someone explain the retainer portion to me? I've only dealt with it when I worked at a PR firm when a client was super slow to pay.  In our case, they paid us $5000 and we billed against that and then when it was close to being done, we'd ask for more money.

However, I heard on TV shows that an attorney is "on retainer".  Does that mean that attorney is collecting a specific amount even if no work is done, just so he will be certain to jump at a moments' notice?

I'm not CPA but wouldn't  you need to use funds from your company for company expenses? If Matt had earned the $15K doesn't he pay himself a salary or use the money for company purchases?  And if Gina just hands him a check for $15K and he deposits it into the bank account, will he need to show how the hell he got that money?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CurlyATX said:

Can someone explain the retainer portion to me? I've only dealt with it when I worked at a PR firm when a client was super slow to pay.  In our case, they paid us $5000 and we billed against that and then when it was close to being done, we'd ask for more money.

However, I heard on TV shows that an attorney is "on retainer".  Does that mean that attorney is collecting a specific amount even if no work is done, just so he will be certain to jump at a moments' notice?

In my state, it does not work like that due to rule changes recently changing "nonrefundable" fees.  Any money an attorney receives to work for a client must be put into a trust account and the fees are withdrawn as the attorney performs the work/earns the money.  If Matt worked here, he would be disbarred because he basically stole the entire $15K because he did not earn it, and he converted the funds for personal use in buying the engagement ring.  I don't understand how the client settled the case without Matt's involvement, but that further enforces the idea he was due a sizable refund.  Matt got off lightly with a suspension.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CurlyATX said:

I'm not CPA but wouldn't  you need to use funds from your company for company expenses? If Matt had earned the $15K doesn't he pay himself a salary or use the money for company purchases?  And if Gina just hands him a check for $15K and he deposits it into the bank account, will he need to show how the hell he got that money?

As mentioned above, clients who need legal help as a normal course of conducting their business will often pay a lump sum to a lawyer or firm simply to be available to do the work whenever called upon. That is a retainer. The idea is that the client probably gets a discount on his rate due to the larger volume of work he gives to the law firm while the firm doesn't have to wait to submit a bill and get paid for their work.  The firm is expected to hold the entire sum and deduct as they do the work.  Taking that money, which is sort of held in escrow, without earning it is illegal and Matt should've been disbarred and maybe gone to jail.  The retainer is not meant to be spent by the law firm except as in payment for services rendered to the client.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

As mentioned above, clients who need legal help as a normal course of conducting their business will often pay a lump sum to a lawyer or firm simply to be available to do the work whenever called upon. That is a retainer. The idea is that the client probably gets a discount on his rate due to the larger volume of work he gives to the law firm while the firm doesn't have to wait to submit a bill and get paid for their work.  The firm is expected to hold the entire sum and deduct as they do the work.  Taking that money, which is sort of held in escrow, without earning it is illegal and Matt should've been disbarred and maybe gone to jail.  The retainer is not meant to be spent by the law firm except as in payment for services rendered to the client.

All correct however, there's not normally (that I've ever seen in 15+ years working at various firms) any discount for having a retainer. It's just normally required, some are small and just for the sake of having it, some clients don't have one at all (think big "we know they can pay" businesses or very small cases that aren't going to bill much). The attorney and firm decide how much retainer they're going to require based on a ton of different variables like size of case, income of client, length of case, litigation possibilities, and other variables. They say "Ok, here's your engagement letter, sign and return it with your retainer payment of X and boom we're your lawyers" some large corporate style clients have a fairly low ($5,000ish) monthly retainer that covers "emails and brief phone calls" so they only get bills if they ask for extra work, like to create documents etc. Generally for a Matt style lawyer he'd just kinda guess at approximately how much the case will end up costing and ask for a retainer based on that and the amount of risk the attorney/firm is willing to hold in regards to the potential of a client not paying. The firm/attorney then puts those funds into an IOLTA account and then bills as normal but at the end of the month they draw the payment for the bill from the retainer in the IOLTA rather than billing the client... unless the client is high risk and has a non-diminishing retainer agreement  meaning the funds are held in IOLTA, and paid out normally but then also the client is billed the amount to replenish the retainer. All of this is to say it's very closely monitored, Matt's a moron who should be disbarred and in jail HE'S SUCH AN IDIOT. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 4

Thank you to all you smart LAW-yers out there.  This was 10X more interesting than the episode.  Granted the writers and cast didn't care anymore but I like the one running thread that whenever a Hillster (or Hillster adjacent) gets called out for acting incorrectly they immediately act like my 8 year old and start giving excuses of why THEY should be given some type of loophole. 

Client- you stole my money! Give it back

Matt- it was for an engagement ring

Client - (in Matt's world)- oh, well, then, just pay it back whenever you can.

or

Judge- please tell your clients you can't work for a month

Matt- I'm a small practice, I'm not a big firm

Judge (in Matt's world)- oh, well then, nevermind.  That wouldn't be fair.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 4

Episode 14 is called 'I'm Using You 'Cause I Like You' and the relevant AWT page is here. The IMDb synopsis:

Donna and David meet promising new mates for themselves, she with an unpredictable businessman named Jerry, and he with a law clerk named Chrissy. Meanwhile, Kelly decides to quit working at the boutique store. Soon after being suspended by the state bar for misappropriate use of legal funds, Matt violates his suspension by taking a case of an injured factory worker, until Chrissy finds out and threatens him. The increasingly moody Dylan suffers from the fast-lane acquaintances of Noah's which takes a turn for the worse when both Dylan and Gina are arrested when Josie's stash of drugs is found in the limo they take for a drive. Also, Steve and Janet hire a nanny, named Darby, for baby Madeleine whom Noah asks out on a date.

Are there actually 27 episodes in this season??!!

Its a slow slog to the finale. 

It seems that David had no real story lines in season 9 besides pining after Gina. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Are there actually 27 episodes in this season??!!

Yeah. I can only imagine how boring it was for everyone involved in the show to keep cranking out the episodes till the bitter end.

• Like 1

Josie Davis played a different character than Camille was in an earlier episode when Steve and Brandon are mistaken for a couple when they meet up with Josie's character and her partner.  It was not long before Kelly and Brandon got engaged so it was less than two years earlier they used the same actress.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

8 hours ago, Earmuffs Mom said:

Josie Davis played a different character than Camille was in an earlier episode when Steve and Brandon are mistaken for a couple when they meet up with Josie's character and her partner.  It was not long before Kelly and Brandon got engaged so it was less than two years earlier they used the same actress.

How Law and Order of this show!

(they frequently reuse actors, but cast them in different roles)

9 hours ago, ilovebeaarthur said:

How Law and Order of this show!

(they frequently reuse actors, but cast them in different roles)

I would say how very Perry Mason of this show. The original had the same actors return again and again playing different characters over its 9 year run.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I totally forgot about Camille!! Another road block to Donna and David getting back together. 

Kelly was a complete BITCH regarding Matt donating sperm for his brother. 1. That’s his brother, I 100% understand how Matt would be a preferable donor to a stranger, never mind for medical history and things like that but the child would have the exact same biological grandparents. 2. It’s sperm! He makes more every 90 days?!! What’s the huge deal?

• Like 2

Camille signals that the end is near, hooray!

I also posted this on the Again With This website, but I think it's plausible that Steve could have hooked up with Darby in season 5.  He didn't have a love interest after he hooked up with Val in the fire episode, which was before Christmas.  Not that I want to give the writers credit though!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, meggonzo said:

Camille signals that the end is near, hooray!

I also posted this on the Again With This website, but I think it's plausible that Steve could have hooked up with Darby in season 5.  He didn't have a love interest after he hooked up with Val in the fire episode, which was before Christmas.  Not that I want to give the writers credit though!

Yeah- Steve didn’t have a steady after Celeste dumps him freshmen year inbetween getting with Claire Junior year. 

• Like 1

Too bad that they didn't have Andrea have an affair with Steve instead of Peter, that would have fit the timeline!

Edited by meggonzo
  • Like 4

Is it possible to start a thread about BH90210 in this forum to talk about the show in August?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Earmuffs Mom said:

Is it possible to start a thread about BH90210 in this forum to talk about the show in August?

Sure I’ll start one. 

So I watched the episode since it was on my Pop recordings and I knew the podcast was coming up. Vanessa Marcil did act the hell out of this storyline, and Tori Spelling did a pretty good job as well. I’m sure Vanessa doesn’t regret her time as she got her son out of it, but damn that was a thankless role. 

• Like 1

You guys, I did it!!! I made it all the way through to the last episode of Season 10, holding my nose the whole time. Man, that stunk.  Whoever gave Tori Spelling the direction of whispering all her lines needs to slapped until they’re dead.  I spent more time yelling “What??” at the TV than I did following the convoluted plot lines of the last couple seasons (kidnapping, bulimia, alcoholism, my cousin/my sister, desert raves, Steve’s who-cares baby).  Sure, Mrs. Teasley at the bachelorette party, why not. The moms are there.

i gave this show a year of my life, since Pop started from the beginning last summer (I never watched it back in the day).  I want my year back.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 7

17 hours ago, Supagirl said:

You guys, I did it!!! I made it all the way through to the last episode of Season 10, holding my nose the whole time. Man, that stunk.  Whoever gave Tori Spelling the direction of whispering all her lines needs to slapped until they’re dead.  I spent more time yelling “What??” at the TV than I did following the convoluted plot lines of the last couple seasons (kidnapping, bulimia, alcoholism, my cousin/my sister, desert raves, Steve’s who-cares baby).  Sure, Mrs. Teasley at the bachelorette party, why not. The moms are there.

i gave this show a year of my life, since Pop started from the beginning last summer (I never watched it back in the day).  I want my year back.

Preach!  I can't handle the whisper line delivery!  I thought I was the only one who noticed it.  It is seriously like every line with Tori Spelling.

• Like 3

I’m still listening to the podcasts every week. I know they are taking a hiatus to cover the reboot, will we discuss those episodes here?

14 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’m still listening to the podcasts every week. I know they are taking a hiatus to cover the reboot, will we discuss those episodes here?

We created a topic for this just now, let's keep the BH90210 discussion in the new and shiny BH90210 forum (including AWT's coverage of it), there's links in this forum that will take you there. But also, here you go:

https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/4529-bh90210/