Type keyword(s) to search

I Can See For Miles: The Kids Are Alright In The Media

• Start Topic

WOO HOO!!!

Here’s some alright news: ABC’s Tuesday comedy block isn’t splitting up anytime soon. The Alphabet Network has given full-season orders to freshman sitcom The Kids Are Alright, as well as sophomore series Splitting Up Together, TVLine has learned. We hear that nine additional episodes of Kids have been ordered, along with five more episodes of Splitting.

https://tvline.com/2018/11/07/abc-full-season-orders-splitting-up-together-the-kids-are-alright/#more-999019

Edited by LBS
  • Love 2

This is from TV Line "Matt's Inside Line".  Putting it in spoiler tag just in case but it's just a hint about how an upcoming episode (possibly the season finale?) will highlight a popular 70's TV show.  Seems like it's more than just the Cleary's will be watching said popular show on their TV.... but if so trying to figure out how they're going to work that into the plot in a realistic way.  Still I was a fan of said show at the time and it definitely peaks my interest!

Spoiler

I’m loving The Kids Are Alright. Any hints about what’s coming up? — Barbara
Before the ’70s-set ABC comedy wraps its freshman season, it’s going to be staging a crossover of a sort with a popular series from the era in which it takes place. Your hints about which one are as follows:
1) The program in question was also on ABC.
2) Its teenage-dream star caused many a viewer to gasp, “I think I love you.”
3) Said teenage dream was David Cassidy. In other words — that’s right — the Cleary clan is mixing it up with The Partridge Family.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Remember when they replaced the youngest son? Maybe Timmy was one of those auditioning (a bit old but that won't stop Timmy 😄) His red hair fits right in with the family.

It would be fucking hilarious (and not out of typical Hollywood casting) for a 12-year old Timmy to try and play an 7 or 8 year old. It'd be like that episode of the Brady Bunch where 12-year old Cindy tries to act like Shirley Temple and no one comments on how bizarre it is to see a 12-year old trying to act 7.

The show being set in Los Angeles adds a lot of possibilities.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
(edited)

The word is out, TKAA was axed this morning (May 10) by ABC. Short sighted decision at best but oh well, what you gonna do? Best of luck to all the talented cast and crew and especially to showrunner Tim Doyle. Y'all did really good and the Clearys will be missed.

Edited by MartyMart
  • Love 3
(edited)

Blergh. Just yesterday I found out that Mark Hamill's a big fan and that he was promoting the show on twitter. He wanted the show to get to 1977 so the boys would get into Star Wars.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 4

On the one hand, I'm really going to miss this show. On the other hand, that frees up my Tuesday nights - the only reason I was watching network tv on Tuesday at all was so that I didn't miss this. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I just found this side-by-side of the real vs. TV family.

I love that Timmy is wearing a suit and has the biggest smile for the camera. Eddie, Joey, and Lawrence did not put on ties. And check out the necklace on the mom!

direct photo link

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 7

Nice tweet from Mark Hamill to Sam Straley/Lawrence:

"As terrible as it seems, everything happens for a reason. I did The Texas Wheelers-a sitcom cancelled after 4 of 13 episodes aired. I was devastated. If the show had been renewed I wouldn't have been available for Star Wars. This is a new beginning for someone as talented as you."

• Love 7
1 hour ago, cbetsky said:

On the one hand, I'm really going to miss this show. On the other hand, that frees up my Tuesday nights - the only reason I was watching network tv on Tuesday at all was so that I didn't miss this. 

Same here. 

• Love 3

Wow, ABC, just wow. I haven't watched a network TV comedy in many years, but this show had me hooked. What an unbelievably stupid decision. I guess now they'll have room on the schedule for more editions of "The Bachelor". 🙄😒😢🤮

• Love 13
58 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

They renewed “Single Parents” but cancelled this?  

Not only that, they renewed BTM. Worst show ever. Nose dived after first ep, critics hate it, middle school production values. All about politics.

• Love 9

Oh no. This is too bad. As a former Catholic from a couple of huuuuuge parishes & who attended parochial school with large families, I liked this show. Crying emoji. Too bad other shows are still on.

• Love 4
(edited)

Boo hiss  😞

Interesting that over on Splitting Up Together (also cancelled) the only comments currently are along the lines of "sounds about right". And for Life in Pieces, just a post announcing the cancellation, no comments at all so far.  But TKAA has 3 separate threads with unanimous oh-no! sentiments.

Kind of hoping Netflix can pick this up as their million-and-1-th show, but I'm sure that's not how that stuff works.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 5

Very disappointed by this, me and my husband gave really grown to love this show. I thought it was doing okay in the ratings? It's not a massive hit but it seemed to have a lot a favorable critical reviews. 

For the record, I like Single Parents but this show was definitely heads and shoulders above SP in just about every way. The decisions network television makes are weird 

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I hope Netflix or Hulu picks it up.

Is that possible?  Should we start a campaign?  

For awhile now, I've been wondering if the people who really loved this show were all my age.  In other words, out of the primo demographic.  

Edited by Phebemarie
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I hope Netflix or Hulu picks it up.

Unlikely on either front. It’s an ABC/Disney show and they own a majority of Hulu currently because of the Fox deal so it would have been secured before the announcement of cancellation and if the studio wasn’t willing to make the numbers work for their own network/streaming it’s not going to be viable for Netflix.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

I wonder if all the actors were due to get increases in per episode salary.  There are a lot of them compared with other ABC shows.  

Likely not those don’t usually kick in unless it’s a huge hit and then maybe year three sometimes not until year five. When most people sign on for a pilot they sign a contract that locks you in for five/six years.

• Love 1

ABC is getting as bad as NBC with cancelling great shows. Anybody remember how hard viewers had to fight to bring back Friday Night Lights?  Twice?  Didn't NBC also cancel The Office? That was an awesome show.  I loved____ Selfie  and didn't ABC cancel it before the end of the season???

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

ABC is getting as bad as NBC with cancelling great shows. Anybody remember how hard viewers had to fight to bring back Friday Night Lights?  Twice?  Didn't NBC also cancel The Office? That was an awesome show.  I loved____ Selfie  and didn't ABC cancel it before the end of the season???

Don’t get me started.  I’m still not over October Road.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, rhys said:

We need a ground swell like B99 had.

Different situations. NBC owned B99 so had a reason to pick it up when Fox cancelled it. ABC owns TKAA and have already decided it isn’t working for them financially and they aren’t going to take a loss by selling it to another streaming service when they couldn’t make it work in house with ABC or Hulu.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Different situations. NBC owned B99 so had a reason to pick it up when Fox cancelled it. ABC owns TKAA and have already decided it isn’t working for them financially and they aren’t going to take a loss by selling it to another streaming service when they couldn’t make it work in house with ABC or Hulu.

Jeez, biak, way to kill a girl's dreams. Next you'll start some wild rumor about how the tooth fairy isn't real.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2