Type keyword(s) to search

Bob's Burgers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 1/9/2023 at 1:23 AM, PinkRibbons said:

I'm a Californian, so I have to ask - can you actually die from no heating in an apartment during a snowstorm? I mean combine body warmth from the whole family under all their blankets and that seems like it could keep them going through the night.

Hey!  Twenty million people a week is no joke! 😉

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

I live in the Charlotte, NC-metro area. In 2002 or 2003, we had a major ice storm that knocked out power for thousands of people in the area. I didn't have power for six days, long after the ice had melted.

It got down to 55° in my apartment, which isn't that cold when you're outside but is frigid when you're inside. Once my two cats and I were in bed and snuggly, it was fine, but it was otherwise unbearable.

I had a gas water heater, so I had hot water. I ordered pizza one night and ate it while sitting in a full bathtub.😂

• Fire 1
  • LOL 2
On 1/8/2023 at 10:23 PM, PinkRibbons said:

I'm a Californian, so I have to ask - can you actually die from no heating in an apartment during a snowstorm? I mean combine body warmth from the whole family under all their blankets and that seems like it could keep them going through the night.

It depends on how cold it actually was outside and how crappy their insulation was. I think the episode only said "blizzard" but nothing about the actual temperature. If it were truly one night, and it could get repaired next day, they're probably not in any actual danger, especially since they have layers and blankets. Also, I appreciated the moment where they shot down the very bad idea about leaving the oven on and open. That said, using the oven as much as possible was a smart way to keep it somewhat warmer. Hot crackers was funny. (Not sure why Bob wouldn't just...actually cook something though.)

That said, I thought it was good-realistic that Bob and Linda were genuinely concerned because, worst case scenario, the storm either lasts so long or is so bad that they're unreachable/power goes out too, and if it's like -15 outside or something, then their problem is no longer just "heater not working", but turns into the issue of not being able to leave and not knowing how cold it'll get. There's also the concern about pipes bursting, but it seemed they were mainly concerned about the kids and their safety, like Bob said "hotel, but, ack, poor". Plus burst pipes are Fishoeder's problem really.

So long way of saying, the stress of the decision played really well to me.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Burst pipes ARE Fischoeder's problem. Don't know why Bob wasn't calling him or Felix 

Do the Fischoeders strike you as landlords that would quickly and happily take care of such problems? 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
30 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

Soooo when is this supposed to be back? I keep checking Hulu every week only to find no new eps.

February 19th.

*old codger voice* Back in the day, this show would disappear for months with no word and we'd see it at random when the broadcasting Gods felt like it.

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

Neighbor: American Typo Proofreaders

Exterminator: Still of The Gnat 

Burger(s) of The Day: The Mold Man and The Sea Burger (comes with blue cheese)

Rhys Darby is back! And the burger of the day was so good it made him quit rowing. I loved the animation of him wobbling around. Hell, the animation on Bob rowing was great.

It was really sweet to see the family's article in the paper on the wall at the end, with Gene's origami frog.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

Bob's food is officially so good that it makes rowers want to give us rowing and live a life of burgers! That has to make him feel a bit better. Love that the Belchers put the article up next to the origami frog and that Quincy managed to finish, hopefully this gives them some much needed publicity. 

This was pretty close to a bottle episode until the very end, I always like when the whole family has a plot together. Kudos to the voice acting and animation, you could really feel Bob's pain as he rowed. 

Louise really called it about the mold. 

• Like 4

I think the other article pinned up next to the frog was of all them at the restaurant. 

Bob did some good parenting on the boat with Gene about maybe not always quitting because it can get too easy. 

I thought they leaned into the bratty Gene a little too much. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Like 1

People always say how good Bob's hamburgers are so why isn't he more successful? I get that he's probably not a very good businessman but it seems like there would be more people in the restaurant all the time.

• Like 1

We've been talking about that for years. It's not just 'people say' - every time on the show where Bob gets more exposure, everyone loves the burgers. 

The restaurant is run down. Maybe it's not as close to the wharf as you'd want, where people wouldn't think to walk a few blocks down. He's certainly not paying for advertising. 

Now that Bob has a smartphone, he should tweet out the burger of the day!

• Like 7
6 hours ago, Aryanna said:

People always say how good Bob's hamburgers are so why isn't he more successful? I get that he's probably not a very good businessman but it seems like there would be more people in the restaurant all the time.

I assume that the real world reason is that they don't want to have to animate a busy restaurant.

In Universe I would guess that the antics of the family and Teddy drive most new customers away after a few visits.

• Like 2

tv-wise, there's just more to mine from a struggling restaurant. Bob is going to get into wacky hijinks if Mr. Fishoeder offers to waive the rent. 

They even did an episode where they were successful, and it was a disaster. 

tbh, I don't think Bob is particularly unhappy. I'm sure they'd rather not fret about rent, but Bob isn't really beholden to anyone when he's in the restaurant. The burger of the day is completely his choice. His abilities are validated consistently. The kids are weird but happy. Linda is a handful, but she's always singing, and there's no doubt she loves him every day. 

• Like 7
16 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I assume that the real world reason is that they don't want to have to animate a busy restaurant.

Probably a lotta truth to that.

16 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

tv-wise, there's just more to mine from a struggling restaurant. Bob is going to get into wacky hijinks if Mr. Fishoeder offers to waive the rent. 

They even did an episode where they were successful, and it was a disaster. 

tbh, I don't think Bob is particularly unhappy. I'm sure they'd rather not fret about rent, but Bob isn't really beholden to anyone when he's in the restaurant. The burger of the day is completely his choice. His abilities are validated consistently. The kids are weird but happy. Linda is a handful, but she's always singing, and there's no doubt she loves him every day. 

Agree. A successful restaurant probably wouldn't be as interesting. Also since they're rarely busy it enables them to close the restaurant to go on adventures as a family. 

I think Bob and his family are pretty content. They've got each other and they like each other. That's more important than success. Especially success alone. Compare Bob to Jimmy. Jimmy's restaurant is more successful but he doesn't have anyone to share that success with. He spends his time and effort being successful in business but has nothing left emotionally or relationally to give to J Jr. or the twins.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Aryanna said:

but has nothing left emotionally or relationally to give to J Jr. or the twins.

Wait, what?!? I knew J-Ju was his son but, as the kids say, I was "today years old" when I learned that the twins were his too!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, AAEBoiler said:

Wait, what?!? I knew J-Ju was his son but, as the kids say, I was "today years old" when I learned that the twins were his too!

I'm pretty sure. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

• Like 1

Neighbor: A Quiet Lace Doilies

Exterminator: I Want A New Bug

Burger(s) of The Day: The That Girl is Hoisin Burger

Okay, loved Teddy's "The Handy" business card. Loved the whole plot with business cards. I also loved his song.

"Why do they call it a business card if they don't want you to get busy?"

"You want to make your own card, put Bob Burger on it." We got the return of Teddy thinking Bob's name is "Bob Burger."

We got Rudy AND Mort in one episode?! Somebody pinch me!

It totally tracks for Linda to have caused fires in her youth. Just small fires. Well, one got big, but it started small!

I was wondering why Louise had a second locker. It totally wasn't to be closer to Rudy, no sir. But man, while I'm glad Louise didn't take the mash missile, Frond was gonna blame Louise for taking it, with no evidence? Man, that's not cool.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Teddy's handyman song was adorable, of course Teddy still has business cards that say "The Handy Hubby" just with hubby crossed out now. 

I feel like if Louise could get a giant boulder to squash anyone who entered her room, she absolutely would. Frond really does have a massive hate on for Louise, trying to blame her for the theft without any evidence. 

Rudy and Mort! 

• Like 3
14 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The whole running gag about the booby traps make perfect sense for Louise. 

I loved when Bob said, "Please don't let darks hit me in the face." I think I would have liked the gag better if there hadn't been more booby trap jokes. I mean, everything else was funny -- Linda asking him if he got hit by a giant boulder, Tina and Gene asking about booby traps, Louise saying she was betw booby traps -- but I like throwaway lines.

I was surprised that the secretary was the one to take the mash missile. I kept wondering who had taken it. I did believe Louise, but then again I thought she MIGHT be lying. But I believed her. But... Needless to say, I completely understood how Linda felt.

I like pb and honey sandwiches.

Tina: We're running out of table here and half-cheeking it.

Can someone explain The That Girl is Hoisin Burger?

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I did believe Louise, but then again I thought she MIGHT be lying. But I believed her. But... Needless to say, I completely understood how Linda felt.

That's more on Linda and Bob though. Louise is into the cards. They should know that. (I know we wouldn't have the plot otherwise). Linda did *want* to believe enough to investigate. 

I'm surprised Rudy doesn't know she only likes the cards too. 

No one asked her where she was at recess when it was stolen either. 

How many times has Bob told Teddy that his last name isn't burger? I did like their song tho. 

Bob telling Teddy he probably didn't want a card that said The Handy. This show walks right up to the line sometimes. I knew a girl in high school called the handy. I also knew a girl in college called two fingers. I don't think they knew about their nicknames.

(edited)

Neighbor: Lord of the Zings!

Joke Shop

Exterminator: Mr. Fleabody & Vermin

Burger(s) of The Day: It's My Parsley and I'll Chive If I Want To Burger, The Smells Like Poutine Spirit Burger, The Olive and Let Rye Burger, The Romancing The Prune Burger

Loved hearing Tina's inner monologue grunting out as her pen was dying in the journal. 

Gene and Louise wearing old, smelly, moist socks as a tie out of spite is, no lie, probably the grossest thing they've ever done. And it gave them rashes on their necks?! Oh dear God.

"You're irregular. Like dad's heartbeat."
"It's not irregular. It's funky."

I got so much secondhand cringe from Tina. She really needs better friends, and man, she choked so hard in front of the cool kids. At least the family was so supportive of her. (EDIT: I've realized that the family was on board with Tina stalking a group of teens she never talked to. But still!)

I hope Sage comes back. It was great that Tina at least got a small victory.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 3

Weird that teenagers made their way into the restaurant after all this time. It seems kind of out of the way from high school.

I liked how all the adults were so over the socks. 

50 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

She really needs better friends, and man, she choked so hard in front of the cool kids.

Zeke is awesome though. He'd reel them in. tbh, they'd love Rudy. He'd totally crowd surf at the concert. 

It was nice that the whole family was supporting Tina stalking people. 

The Boyz4Now song was "Coal Mine". 

I did like that Sage didn't even think Tina showing up at the diner was a big deal. 

• Like 5
13 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Neighbor: Lord of the Zings!

Joke Shop

I love their puns. This one made me LOL.

Burger(s) of The Day: It's My Parsley and I'll Chive If I Want To Burger, The Smells Like Poutine Spirit Burger, The Olive and Let Rye Burger, The Romancing The Prune Burger

Wow, lots of Burgers of the Day. For some reason I didn't look at the board at all. I guess I was caught up in the Tina drama.

Gene and Louise wearing old, smelly, moist socks as a tie out of spite is, no lie, probably the grossest thing they've ever done. And it gave them rashes on their necks?! Oh dear God.

I KNOW! It was really gross. All the talk about the smells was making me gag. I did like Louise's description: an odor like a dumpster just got back from the gym.

I noticed that when Louise and Gene were putting napkins in the holders, Gene was doing a very neat job, while Louise was just putting them in willy-nilly.

I really like how supportive Bob and Linda are of their kids and how concerned they are when any of the kids are upset. I was actually tearing up during the montage of Tina being depressed. It was nice to see that as time passed, she got better.

BTW, what was the song during the end credits? I couldn't understand the lyrics.

• Like 4

I did like that Gene and Louise were just playing in her room as the prologue to the socks. They looked like they were having fun. 

Tina is in a tough spot being the oldest. She hangs out with them a lot, and they all get along. When the kids all go out on adventures, it's everyone together. She doesn't really have any group just her own age to go off and do things. It's her, J-Ju, and Zeke, but they're all together all the time, and Jimmy is useless. Otherwise, she's stuck at the restaurant. Tina needs some after school activities for just her. 

I think the show needed to end with a win for Tina. She talked to another girl her age. That was it. It's great that Bob and Linda are supportive, but stalking other teenagers isn't the best way to make new friends. They don't really need her at the restaurant all the time. The only time it was packed was on Valentine's day and when Bob was on the cooking show. 

That montage of Tina being depressed really was quite sad, at least she got a minor win when Sage talked to her. Tina really could use more friends around her own age, as great as Zeke is, who can relate to her particular awkward teen issues. Oh Tina, stalking is never the answer. 

I love that even Linda, who is usually down for whatever weird stuff the kids get up to, thought that Louise and Gene wearing dirty socks around was too gross. It really is sweet how supportive everyone was of Tina and how upset they were that she was upset, even while acknowledging that she isn't making the best choices. 

• Like 5
8 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Wow, lots of Burgers of the Day. For some reason I didn't look at the board at all. I guess I was caught up in the Tina drama.

There were a few more in the montage, but they weren't legible and they went by so quick.

21 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Zeke is awesome though

Zeke IS awesome, he, like Tina, just need to not be around the other kids in their group to truly shine.

21 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

tbh, they'd love Rudy. He'd totally crowd surf at the concert. 

Oh, I need to see Rudy with a group of cool kids. Or just see more of what he does when the main cast isn't around. Or just see more of Rudy in general.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

I hope Sage comes back. It was great that Tina at least got a small victory.

I'd love for Tina and Sage to strike up a genuine friendship; I'm just scared that Tammy would try to sabotage it out of jealousy.

Spoiler

I guess this is more of a Family Guy spoiler, but there's going to be a crossover between them, Bob's Burgers, and The Simpsons. I love the joke at the end, especially with the way Seth McFarlane always seems to dump on Bob's Burgers. Also, it's weird seeing Bob with teeth.

• Like 1

I really thought they would develop a stronger friendship with Susmita by now (and I still have hope that they'll randomly bring back Becky Krespe) but yes, Louise has Rudy, Gene has Alex, I want Tina to have a best pal too.

• Like 7
On 3/6/2023 at 7:50 PM, Popples said:

I'm just scared that Tammy would try to sabotage it out of jealousy.

Reveal spoiler

I guess this is more of a Family Guy spoiler, but there's going to be a crossover between them, Bob's Burgers, and The Simpsons. I love the joke at the end, especially with the way Seth McFarlane always seems to dump on Bob's Burgers. Also, it's weird seeing Bob with teeth.

I don't think Sage would abide Tammy and her shenanigans.

• Applause 2

Oh, no way Sage would tolerate Tammy. When you think about it, a lot of Tina's classmates are kind of still childish for 13 year olds. 

How old was Sage and all them? To go out late to the concert and diner, I would think at least 15 because no one was driving. I thought what was interesting was even though they were 'cool', they weren't the 'too cool for school' kind of cool. 

Neighbor: Flaming of The Moo

Branding Supplies

Exterminator: Nice Flies Finish Last

Burger(s) of The Day: Edam and Weep Burger (served with Edam cheese and raw Onions) 

Loved seeing Louise reference the original pilot with the burger made from human flesh from the funeral home. Had a feeling that Bob and Linda warning Louise about not going on rocks, that she was gonna walk on the rocks. The cave was anxiety inducing, but really well animated. 

Ms. Labonz totally boos at Show & Tell.

Once again, Teddy is getting to be too much, convincing Bob to show Hurling to impress Kathleen. On the plus side, we saw Kathleen again. She is VERY patient when it comes to Teddy. To Teddy, that's a hell of a win.

Here's the Burger of The Day for the Family Guy Crossover: Kevin Bacon Burger with Everything Til Madoff Lost It

• Like 6