Type keyword(s) to search

Bob's Burgers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Neighbor: Talcum in The Middle

Powders and Lotions for "Down There."

Exterminator: DIE-YOU-MITE!

Burger of The Day: The Marvelous Mrs. Basil Burger

Oh man, I knew that going on a road trip with Teddy would be a hilarious mess. He WOULD know people who run gas stations on a first name basis, know who to avoid, who had the best bathrooms, be really needy about gum. Thank god I haven't done a rode trip with someone that annoying. I'm definitely a Bob (no fuss, no small talk), but I always fear that I'd be a Teddy (I love stopping at rest stops and detours. So sue me!)

It was good to see a nice "the kids work in the restaurant" plot. Yeah...they suck at running the restaurant. Of course the place is busy when Bob ISN'T there, and Linda seems amazing compared to the kids.

• Love 6

If Teddy and Bob were both a bit more like each other, they'd probably be better people. Teddy could benefit from reading a room, being  a bit more task focused and respectful of other people's time. Bob could benefit from being more open and helpful with other people and developing a willingness to step out of his bubble from time to time. I bet Bob could have shared interesting insights about owning a small business with Bonnie (I think.) Teddy wasn't wrong about that. So even though that much Teddy usually annoys me, I enjoyed this episode.

• Love 10

Both plot lines were good.

I liked that when Teddy walked into the restaurant, Gene said, "Hey, you."

Bob: I don't want to impose on Teddy.
Teddy: Impose. Listen to this guy.
Linda: I know. Mr. Fancy Words.
Gene: Nerd.

Teddy would definitely be annoying to spend a lot of time with, but it's funny watching someone else go thru it.

"It all started when I was a kid. I lost one of my socks. But that was just the beginning."

"So long story short, my butt is apparently lopsided. That's why I had to return the pants."

"Hot dogs and burgers are enemies, right?"

Asking Bob to pick out gum for him -- "I don't like cinnamon or mint or berry or anything that's too chewy."

I felt a little silly, but I actually teared up watching Bob realize how he'd misread Teddy, that Teddy was a good friendly, guy.

As for the restaurant story, it was nice seeing how awesome Linda is at her job. I didn't always get that sense. 

I was as shocked as the kids when Linda said the prize would be a 20-second pull on the soft-serve machine. Twenty seconds is a long time! Also, I'm so so glad we didn't really see the kids dispensing the ice cream into their mouths. That would have grossed me out.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, vibeology said:

If Teddy and Bob were both a bit more like each other, they'd probably be better people. Teddy could benefit from reading a room, being  a bit more task focused and respectful of other people's time. Bob could benefit from being more open and helpful with other people and developing a willingness to step out of his bubble from time to time. I bet Bob could have shared interesting insights about owning a small business with Bonnie (I think.) Teddy wasn't wrong about that. So even though that much Teddy usually annoys me, I enjoyed this episode.

I think that's what Bob arrived at in the end when Bonnie showed up for the tow. After that Teddy wanted to get the beef jerky, and Bob was up for it. 

Teddy should have been more up front. Bob is running a restaurant and taking a whole day out, while I would say might be good for Bob, isn't fair without some discussion first. Teddy knows how attached he is to kitchen ware. They could have gone right to the sink and then done the rest. 

I hope they're breaking away from needy, creepy Teddy with this kind of plot. He's always been good with the kids too, and I can't remember when they had a plot. Maybe the xmas one where he was Santa? 

34 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I was as shocked as the kids when Linda said the prize would be a 20-second pull on the soft-serve machine. Twenty seconds is a long time! Also, I'm so so glad we didn't really see the kids dispensing the ice cream into their mouths. That would have grossed me out.

You don't always leave Louise speechless. She was totally struck. 

• Love 7

Both plots were really fun, I like seeing Linda being good at running the restaurant and that Bob learned to appreciate Teddy's friendliness a bit more. Plus that giant head cracked me up every time I saw its giant creepy face. "Its eyes are following me."

I like that Teddy has this whole life outside of the Belchers that they don't usually get to see. I might not be a Teddy, but I think that knowing what gas station has the best bathrooms is a pretty good idea.

• Love 3
On 10/18/2021 at 11:17 AM, peeayebee said:

I was as shocked as the kids when Linda said the prize would be a 20-second pull on the soft-serve machine. Twenty seconds is a long time! 

A great prize for a kid, and it would definitely motivate me now. lol

• Love 3

Neighbor: It Had to Be Ewe

Wool Clothing

Exterminator: In-Gory-Us Busters

Burger(s) of The Day: Son of a Peach-er Man Burger, Full Nettle Jacket Burger, Baby Got Bok Choy Burger

So Gene is not only too attached to Linda, but he gives "surprise shower hugs" to Bob every day. It's another "Gene is afraid of growing up" plot. I could kind of relate. Imagine being in your thirties and being the only one in your friend group that isn't married or have kids. Sometimes I wish I could pretend to be seven again. But it's also annoying. His plot was that scene in Billy Madison where Adam Sandler is sitting with all the kindergarten kids played out.

DJ Bunk Beds? Yeah, I wish I had Gene and Alex's life. (BTW, Alex is now voiced by Paul Rust)

"Are you gonna get amazing hair and then leave me?" Oh, Bob. Yeah, I wouldn't underestimate Gretchen's wrath, either.

"Are you drunk?"
"I'M GORGEOUS!"

Oh, Bob. I love how his hair didn't seem to change AT ALL, yet everyone noticed it.

Yeah, no wonder why no one stays in that space next door for more than a week, the rent is too high.

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Imagine being in your thirties and being the only one in your friend group that isn't married or have kids.

I am. Actually older. It's fantastic. 

I'm just not a fan of brat Gene plots. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I am. Actually older. It's fantastic. 

I love getting to sleep in if I want to, not getting stuck watching Frozen over and over (and listening to their soundtracks), make plans, or go out at a moment's notice, not having to watch my language at home. Team No Kids definitely has its perks. 

• Love 12

I was annoyed by Gene hanging Alex out to dry while he decided to be a child again. And yet I could sympathize. One time many many years ago when my son was a toddler, we were watching Barney together, and I wanted to play follow-the-leader like they were. I mean, I had a strong desire to be a kid again. I still get that desire these days. Esp these days.

• Love 1

I remember going to my first salon that had wine, I was shook at the glamour. I still kind of am. I love how Bob's hair looked exactly the same but everyone kept commenting on how great it looks. "He's taken!"

Yeah, letting a random 80s year old who is not the actual parent of a kid sign them out is probably not a great look Miss Erica. You might need to get a few more of those wiggles out. 

• Love 2

Neighbor: Sips of the Father 

Sippy Cups For Men

Exterminator: Spider Off Dead

Burger(s) of The Day: Your Cress is on My List Burger (comes with watercress)

Yeah, the beach in the fall is just sad and ugly. It WOULD take an offer of a Full Willy Wonka at the Wharf to get me to clean it up.

Okay, I don't know what was more horrifying: Teddy's mustache or Mickey sounding NOTHING like Bill Hader. Seriously, Mickey's new voice took me right out of the episode. And this was an episode where he, Mort AND both Fischoeders showed up! Teddy WOULD go crazy with jealous rage because Bob doesn't want to talk mustaches with him.

"We could've owned a roller coaster."
"I'd take it everywhere."

Bless you, Jocelyn. Her and Gene with his seagull friend were the highlights this week.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 5

I actually stopped and looked up "Did Bill Hader do anything socially unacceptable?" I was so horrified. I know. He's a busy man, and they needed a character from the wharf for the plot. But frikkin' use The Nose or Sally the Snow-Cone Lady!!! It'd be a reward for long-time viewers. Don't just replace Bill Hader! It's BILL HADER!

• Love 7

This was a real reoccurring character fest, most of the kids friends, the Fischoeders, Mort, Mickey...or whoever that person impersonating him was. They couldn't have even tried to make him sound like Bill Hader? 

Its been way too long, Jocelyn. "I don't want to get my trash bag dirty."

I hope that Zeke and the hermit crab stay pen pals. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2

Neighbor: White Paint Can't Dump

Paint Recycling Center

Exterminator: Gnat So Fast

Burger(s) of The Day:  I Bean of Greenie Burger (with black bean parsley puree)

Louise WOULD love the Spinosaurus, much like Tina would like the Iguanodon (hey, sharp thumbs!). I also liked Louise's idea for her loft bed. Barbed wire, a retinal scanner, and fireworks. And there's a nail sticking out to hold throwing stars!

Yeah, the loft bed building was crazy stressful. On top of Linda breaking her arm and not doing anything with it, everyone went to bed with their usual clothes on. I don't know why that weirded me out. Aww, the ending song was Teddy finishing the bed.

Bob getting invested in the DnD was heartwarming. I loved his song. Wouldn't be tabletop if no one played the game the way you wanted to, and went longer than you expected.

I always enjoy the little insights into Teddy's relationship with his mom. They went to Canada to pick up a scooter, and she HAS to drive it home herself.

• Love 8

I was hoping that they would be able to make the loft. I liked the game plot better. I always like new ideas for the restaurant. 

Teddy yelling at the trucker was hilarious. 

I did like Louise helping Teddy at the end. They sometimes forget that those two get along. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 4

Its been awhile since Bob and Gene got a plot together, that was fun. "Who will walk me down the aisle?" Its not a tabletop game if no one complained about the story not going the way they wanted while the game goes way longer then everyone planned. Bob supporting the new DM was sweet and I love that everyone finally tried his burger of the day. 

The ending song being Teddy finishing the bed cracked me up. Even when she isn't around, Linda's mom is such a pain. "That sounds like something horrible your mom would say."

• Love 5

Neighbor: Stuff It!

Stuffing Superstore

Exterminator: Paging Mr. Vermin

Hey, they're back at the old folks home! I'm happy that they mentioned Meryl (RIP Cloris Leachman)

And YES, Zeke in a Thanksgiving episode! I was surprised that he was helping in the impromptu parade, and not the kitchen. (although Zeke was really more fun at the parade) But Bob realized that the way to get Louise to help was to promise that she'd be allowed to use the torch. Loved that she got to be Captain Casserole at the end (complete with theme song!)

Now Bob made the whole kitchen talk. He, uh, really DOES get into Thanksgiving too much. I liked that all the food had different voices, and the stuffing wanted to run away with him.

• Love 9

I love that Bob can impromptu rise to the challenge of feeding an entire nursing home a full Thanksgiving meal, complete with extra dishes. Combine that with Linda's almost supernaturally good service, it really makes you think, how they weren't so firmly set on working for themselves, Bob and Linda could probably be running a high-end kitchen in a swanky part of town, in a hotel maybe? I love the balance of their silliness against the fact that they are truly masterfully competent.

Whatever Tina, Gene and Louise end up doing themselves, you know they'll be just as great as their folks. The Belchers are the kind of people who, if they care about what they're doing, they'll do it really well. That improvised parade float was actually pretty impressive.

• Love 12

Bob always wanted a burger place though. They did a flashback with his father arguing about it. 

I don't know why the restaurant isn't more popular though. Jimmy's is slop. Whenever they actually do something like Valentines day, they pack the place. 

• Love 7

I always love Bob's Burgers Thanksgiving episodes, Bob is just so passionate about everything Thanksgiving related, he's really in his element. Its probably for the best that Bob is allowed to just do his thing in the kitchen that one day of the year, he seems to handle everything perfectly. I do love when the Belchers are allowed to really show their competence, Bob managing to cook a huge Thanksgiving dinner for a whole retirement community really is impressive, and for a put together at the last minute production, the kids parade was actually pretty good. "Its a street, but also a place where plays happen! Oklahoma, its a state but also a play! Rent! Its a play, but also something you have to pay!" 

A Thanksgiving episode with Zeke? Its a Thanksgiving gift for all of us! 

Bob doing voices for his food never stops making me laugh, I especially laughed when the stuffing started telling him to run away with them and leave his family. 

• Love 14

Totally.

Everytime they do something, people love the food. Not that the Thanksgiving was exotic; the menu was traditional, but Bob still had to prepare everything without any planning. He just took what was there and made it well and everyone was having a good time. 

Jimmy actually recommended Bob to have a food booth at the pier xmas festival (when Teddy was Santa). Everyone was lining up. When Bob was on the cooking show (Gene went to get the rare mushroom), he came in 2nd, and the time they got back to the restaurant, there was a line down the block. Valentine's day was a brilliant idea. 

Even when Linda screwed up with the green burgers, she still packed the place by handing out free samples at the parade. 

I don't know if it's the location or the appearance of the restaurant, but while I don't think they'd be packed all the time, struggling to pay the rent seems a bit much. It might be that they rely on tourism so much, and Jimmy's has more 'flash'; bar, tv, outdoor seating. 

You'd think though that the kind of run down look of the place would be something hipsters would flock to. 

They probably don't advertise much. There's beer on the menu; Bob could put together some kind of happy hour menu with smaller dishes or something. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 4

Have they ever shown how much Bob chargers for a burger? I could see that being an explanation of why the food seems to be very good but they never seem to hold on to new customers (beyond the Doylist explanation that they don't want to animate a bunch of customers in every scene).

• Love 1
12 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

Bobs Burgers menu.JPG

That's what I was thinking of. You never see anyone ordering beer. Wow those characters are almost proto- Ham and Crispin on the Great North. 

Bob was already on a cooking competition show; I mentioned above. Gene screwed up and went on an adventure around town to get a rare mushroom for the burger. He ended up coming in second, but when they got back the restaurant everyone was there who watched the show. Even the guy who one - 'That burger looked good! I wanted to try one.'

I don't know if it's by design or what, but whenever Bob catches a break, they pack the restaurant. I'm not really a burger guy; maybe they could add grilled cheese and tomato or a blt. I'd even eat the misshapen tomato. I assume they're on a thin margin, but Bob is nothing if not creative with limited ingredients. 

I know they did this too to an extent, but I feel like they could bag the entire restaurant and go just food truck only, and they'd clean up. There's a bacon truck in San Francisco that would just tweet it's location for the day around the city. They have breakfast too though. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Bob was already on a cooking competition show; I mentioned above. Gene screwed up and went on an adventure around town to get a rare mushroom for the burger. He ended up coming in second, but when they got back the restaurant everyone was there who watched the show. Even the guy who one - 'That burger looked good! I wanted to try one.'

I think the fancy ingredient for the outdoor food competition was black garlic, no? When I think of exotic mushrooms, it's the woolly Neptune episode. God, I hate those assholes who try to steal Gene's basket.

• Love 4

Neighbor: That's What Shoe Said

Shoe Store

Exterminator: Pest Side Story 

Burger(s) of The Day: A Wrinkle in Thyme Burger (had to go back with the DVR to catch that one), It's Chive O'Clock Some-Pear Burger, The Lost in Yam-slation Burger

"Ah, the teenage pubin' ninja turtles" that sums up Tina's gang to a T, doesn't it? I'm kind of surprised but not really that Zeke and Jocelyn are pretty good students? They do seem like the kind of kids that can coast and get As and Bs pretty easily. Tina really needs better friends, and at least she has Susmita.

So Bob's used to be a donut shop. Very interesting to learn. Violet's plot was sweet. I just moved stuff around my room so I relate to Bob being too sore to move things.

• Love 4

Is Susmina voiced by the actor who does Moon on Great North? 

I always like when you learn what places used to be. When I was in grad school in MA, we all rented really old houses in a particular area. One time, my friend down the street just had some old guy show up and knock on the door who used to rent the house when he was there for college a long time ago. So they let him in and hung out for a while. 

I'm not buying Zeke skipping class. 

I liked later on Linda poured Teddy's coffee. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1