Type keyword(s) to search

Bob's Burgers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Bob having the food talking to him is never not funny. It's such a brilliant character trait.

Bob and Linda also high fiving over the check ending in 69 is exactly what they would do. So is Louise wanting to burn things.

I'm kind of a little over every year something bad happening to Bob though. Last year was the closest but still.

Most grocery stores sell wood. Linda could have just run down there.

By now, Linda should know well enough how Bob is about Thanksgiving. I mean, I get that she's not super into it, but she was kind of being annoying to Bob.

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 9

There's this legendary turkey recipe online somewhere that is incredibly complicated (half the steps include "have another glass of wine") and time consuming, and apparently the end result is a turkey that looks completely charred through like Bob's. Apparently when you cut into it it's amazing. I'm so glad Bob's turkey was like that!

• Love 4
10 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

By now, Linda should know well enough how Bob is about Thanksgiving. I mean, I get that she's not super into it, but she was kind of being annoying to Bob.

Hard disagree. Bob was the one who was way out of line the entire time. That bird could have sat in the fridge for a couple of days until the gas came back on. (People wet or dry brine birds all the time. You don't have to cook them instantly) It could have been frozen too, though that would not be an ideal. Instead Bob dragged his family out into the alley on their holiday to cook the turkey over an illegal fire. He sent his kids dumpster diving and into the woods looking for things to burn. He got annoyed at Linda for enjoying family memories rather than spend time in the stinky alley next to a dumpster. All so he could cook a turkey he admitted that he cared about more than his kids. It wouldn't even have been a Thanksgiving dinner; it was just a turkey, no sides. And that's why at the end, Bob was the one who had to learn a lesson and put family first. The fact that the turkey worked out is secondary. He was the jerk.

• Love 7

With all the ridiculous bullshit Bob had to put up with every week, after waiting 5 years for this turkey, which Linda had to have known was important to him, I'm cutting him a little slack. Especially when the holiday is continually ruined. 

It's not like Louise wasn't totally gung ho about burning things either. 

• Love 4

I am so glad that Bobs turkey was good, I always love the Thanksgiving episodes! Bob is normally the  straight man to the families wackiness, so its always funny when he starts to lose it, and Thanksgiving really just brings the manic intensity out in him. I will also never not love Bob talk to food and Bob having the food talk back to him. 

"He isnt well, he`ll calm himself down eventually." 

They are really bringing back all of the seemingly one shot and supporting cast lately, I need to keep checking the shows Wiki to remember who everyone is exactly and when we last saw them!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I, too, am so glad the turkey turned out good.

Cracked up when Gene said that he had a shockingly deep belly button that you can put a whole hot dog in.

Loved the animation of the kids rolling the log up the hill and then it coming back down, esp the shot where we see just the top of their heads as they come to the crest.

• Love 6

I just love that while every other show on the planet has a 'very special' Christmas episode, for Bob THE holiday of holidays is Thanksgiving, where he gets to cook what he wants how he wants (at least theoretically). 

And while none of the rest of the family understands this one bit, they try to accommodate him. Because they love him, that's why (even though Louise would deny it to her last breath).

And Izzy85, thanks for identifying the tattoo! I knew it meant something, but I couldn't remember the episode! The showrunners take their continuity SERIOUSLY (yet somehow tongue in cheek at the same time).

• Love 7

That tattoo has been shown on the show before, too.

The time is remember is when Bob has the yips and wears Jimmy Pesto’s underwear to cure it. During the ending credits scene, Bob is at the grill like always, except he’s wearing nothing but Pesto’s briefs while he sings, dances, and cooks at the same time, LOL.

• Love 3

Episode 9:

"All That Gene"

Gene auditions for a small role in a local theater production, but things backfire when he discovers that Linda actually bargained with the director to get Gene the part.

Airs December 1, 2019.

• Love 1

Neighbor: Stop in The Name of Gloves

Exterminator: Dead Mouse Says What

Burger(s) of The Day: Oaxaca Waka Waka Burger, The Creme Fraiche Prince of Bell Peppers Burger, The Fried Off Into The Sunset Burger

Finally Gene gets to audition for the theater scene. And of course he blows it by bringing Gene energy to a place where it isn't needed. And man, I had a feeling that Linda would go full Stage Mom the moment Gene didn't get the part. I was expecting the family and Teddy to save the play, and not Gene performing The Gene Show to old people.

Loved seeing Kathleen again. Man, Teddy is still really awkward and creepy around women. I'm actually sad that nothing came of it. And he still thinks Bob and the family is named Burger.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

And of course he blows it by bringing Gene energy to a place where it isn't needed.

Gene needs to tone it down most of the time or given more activities to do. To be fair here, Gene wasn't given much direction either in reading the line. He shouldn't have ad libbed in the rehearsal, and Linda should have put her foot down.

I kind of don't like that Gene going out there to Gene it up was the resolution.

Bob taking so much abuse between the poking and Linda dumping the tickets on him is why I don't think wanting to cook a turkey in the alley was that bad.

I like that the gossip on Janice was that she's mormon.

Credit to the kids for selling the tickets though.

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 6

Gene was an obnoxious brat in this episode, and Linda did him no favors in treating him like Mommy's special little snowflake when she should have told him to tone it down because his behavior was not appropriate. 

The voice actor who did the director has done other roles, I think. She sounds the same no matter what character she's playing.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Gene was an obnoxious brat in this episode, and Linda did him no favors in treating him like Mommy's special little snowflake when she should have told him to tone it down because his behavior was not appropriate. 

Well, honestly, Linda's not much better. Gene's definitely a chip off of that block.

• Love 4

The one thing that worked was that. Gene was all over the place, and Linda dumped the tickets on Bob so she could have gotten Gene the part. 

I guess it didn't work overall because they actually did sell all the tickets thanks to the kids, so Linda didn't really learn anything, and Gene actually was prepared to play it straight but then went out and entertained the audience, so I don't think the lesson sunk in with him either. 

I don't mind Linda getting Gene the part because the director clearly had no options, but for Gene not to realize what a play is (playing the role as directed and reading the lines) didn't wash for me. I suppose it would have been better if he was playing the role but maybe too much - really over doing it on the dialogue - WOW those BEANS look deeeeeliciousss!!!! I can get that. 

Bob did call Linda out on it a little too, and she realized she made a mistake, but I don't think it will stick. 

• Love 2

The idea of Gene getting cast in a Tennessee Williams style drama is a hilarious idea for an episode, but I dont know if it totally landed. I think Linda had the right idea for a second that she is making some mistakes with Gene, but in the end no lessons were really learned here, despite there being a decent "learn to read the room at times" sort of lesson here. Yeah Gene should never stop being Gene (who is awesome and delightful) but its not the worst idea to remind him that his high energy isnt super appropriate for every occasion and that maybe Linda, while being supportive and encouraging, could maybe dial down the "your as good as Adelle!" sort of stuff before Gene gets his feelings hurt. 

Of course Mr. Ambrose is into the local theater scene. Really, Gene could do well in theater, he just needs to find the right play, or get some better direction. I mean, he is still a kid, he needs someone to help him. 

Poor Bob and his love handles. At least the kids sold the tickets!

• Love 1

I liked it. At first I was annoyed by Gene being "too Gene" when they were rehearsing. There's a time and a place for that sort of thing, and the time came later when the old folks needed entertaining.

Donovan had some good lines.

"Nobody goes to local theater. I probably should have listened to my father and gone into Something Safe. He owned a safe company called Something Safe."

"It's the American classic, A Potluck in the Grass by Alabama O'Callahan."

"I just lost a stagehand. Ironically, he got a job at the Foot Locker."

And the way he breathed when Linda told him on the phone to breathe was pretty funny.

Gene, yelling: You're looking at Quiet Eli, baby!

Louise: I think we're gonna have to sell these tickets the old-fashioned way.
Tina: On a horse?

Bob: No ticket stubs, no… sticking chubs.

I liked that after Louise poked Bob the first time, when he returns to the stove, he backs away. It was just a small thing, but a nice touch.

The theater group being called The Happy Mask/Sad Mask Players tickled me.

I noticed that the wardrobe hanging up included a puffy shirt, like from Seinfeld.

Edited by peeayebee
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Of course Mr. Ambrose is into the local theater scene. Really, Gene could do well in theater, he just needs to find the right play, or get some better direction. I mean, he is still a kid, he needs someone to help him. 

Gene was responsible for Die Hard: The Musical and then mashing it up with Working Girl: The Musical. Something like THAT was definitely his speed, and I wish that was brought up at some point.

• Love 9

Episode 10:

"Have Yourself A Maily Linda Christmas"

Linda works a temp job at the post office to make extra money for the holidays. But when an important package goes undelivered, Linda breaks protocol and takes it upon herself to save the day. Meanwhile, Bob and Tina are trapped at home with Linda’s fussy family and Gene and Louise scramble last-minute to find the perfect gift for Tina.

Airs December 15, 2019.

• Love 2

Neighbor: Hey big Suspenders

Exterminator: Bye, Fleas-Cia!

Burger of The Day: 

Gotta love Linda's "Three Wise Men": One brings hurtful comments (mom), one brings phlegm (Dad), and Gayle (Gayle). I wonder who Bob's are? Teddy, Mort, and Jimmy Pesto?

I'm with the Post Mistress, Christmas in the postal industry will beat down everyone to be as pessimistic and want to leave as soon as possible. It was good to see Mike part of a plot for once. We even saw his wife!

"Aww, eating the tin can, looking at Jesus." I appreciate Linda's heart, but wow, it's amazing that she's the sane one in her family, Gayle is obviously worse. I am not shocked that Gayle lies to her parents about her life. This WAS the first time Gayle and her parents were in the same episode in ten seasons (which is really weird to think about). I bet Dirk Moneyrich looks like Scott Bakula. I laughed really hard at the Ottoman Story. I don't think even Gayle deserves being tortured with being around smelly slippers.

"Nice, sweaty, and weird. If only my penis could talk."

"Uncle Kracker? NEPHEW Kracker?!"

"We're kids just like you, m'boy." Oh, Gene.

Loved Tina singing "Christmas Wrapping." I never knew I needed that.

• Love 6

But what was in the package??? After all that, someone could at least have rattled it and made a guess. It seems like Louise should have some special ninja skills at present guessing. I'm glad Mike came through and let the kid have it. 

• Love 4

I hope that Andie McDowell got her present on time! 

It really does say something that Linda is the most normal of her siblings! Gayle brings...Gayle. Of course she would find hiding in an ottoman and jumping out at someone to be the height of hilarity and wit, and lies about every single aspect of her life to her parents. 

Poor Bob, having to deal with the three worst wise men! At least Tina was there to help with the veggies, which was sweet. And we even got a Mike plot! Its a Christmas miracle! 

Awww that hug at the end was adorable, even if Gene and Louis half assed it on the gifts. I mean, they thought it was understood!

• Love 4

Neighbor: The Bloom is Off The Nose wart removal 

Exterminator: Flea Willy

Burger(s) of The Day: The Ber-Gouda Triangle Burger, Mama Said There'd Be Glaze Like This Burger (comes with a Worcestershire glaze), The Easy Come, Asiago Burger

Teddy leaving the restaurant is me leaving anywhere. We've come so far that Bob doesn't care that Teddy takes a job at Jimmy Pesto's, but I like that Teddy still thinks he does and only freaks out because he cares about his friendship. But man, I was not liking that he put Mort through all that abuse.

"What did they do to my precious little lamb?!" Zeke going to bat for Gene right away is the best.

"WHY IS NOTHING EVER A 'LADY IN RED' SITUATION?!" Jimmy Jr. was great in this one.

I really liked Gene's plot. Which, of course, meant it as also a Louise plot. She's a good sister, but Gene can take care of himself.

I need to hear a Bell Biv Devo song. I was teased.

• Love 4

Good ep, except for Teddy going haywire. Bob's apology was fun. I enjoyed his phony arm gestures.

I'm glad Dino made an arrangement for Gene to come in and play. On Wash-Your-Hands Monday. Hee. 

I hate glitter, too.

• Love 2

"Why is it never a Lady in Red situation?!

Its sweet in a Louise way that she wanted to get back at Dino for hurting Genes feelings, but he did certainly handle things on his own. Plus he got stuff! And he loves stuff! Aww Zeke is such a ride or die kind of pal! 

Of course Teddy would be all neurotic about doing some work for Jimmy and Bob being possibly mad, and then get upset that Bob isnt mad enough! "I want what they have."

I would totally go to a Bell Biv Devo concert, just to see whats its like. "He beat you like an adult beats a child."

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

This was Annoying!Teddy.  He's always best in small doses...except when he babysat.  But I loved Louise ready to rage on anyone doing Gene wrong.

On 1/12/2020 at 7:40 PM, Galileo908 said:

"What did they do to my precious little lamb?!" Zeke going to bat for Gene right away is the best.

I laughed so hard I had to rewind.

• Love 4

Teddy's plot nearly killed the show for me. There's nothing wrong if you have anxiety, but this was just ridiculous. Bob should have booted him out for the week and told him to calm down immediately. There's absolutely no reason he should apologize.

The kids playing all the instruments was hilarious but the 'bongo bongo bongo' was the best.

My recording ended when they planted the box! How did it end?

• Love 1

Gene talked to the owner and challenged him to a drum machine off.

Gene lost, but the owner let him come in once a month to play the drum machine on clean hand Monday. 

Louise took the box back and the episode ended when Gene opened the box while Louise was holding it.

• Love 3

Neighbor: Pumpin Patch fitness

Exterminator: The Rodent Less Traveled

Burger(s) of The Day: The Random Jacks of Chive-Ness Burger, The If It's Yellow, Let It Portabello Burger, The Thin Red Pepper Burger

Everyone had great big fish/little fish but Tina. Tina is trying too hard, and Kaylee wanted to be left alone. I know the feeling. And then Tina had to be Tina and try too hard. Louise and Gene are such gret sibings to bail her out  (and I love that Gene just snuck in there for the food and nobody noticed or cared) I knew that Rudy and Zeke was gonna be great, but Jimmy Jr was great, too.

I love that Bob only wanted to use the big ropes in the gym because he saw it in a credit card commercial. Bob and Linda having after-exercise pain was great, and how they got out of the contract. It was great to hear Ben Schwartz in this.

• Love 5

This was great. 

Bob loving the battle ropes and being terrible and weak. Linda doing leg extensions, "tiny fart that no one heard, kick away the fart." I was dying when they woke up the next morning and couldn't move because they were so sore. lol And Teddy, "it's like I'm at a restaurant where there's ten times more gravity" when they couldn't lift the plates. 

Kabob Kaboose. lol

I liked Tammy and Louise together, and how they swindled Mr. Frond in order to go outside.

All Gene did was mention puberty to prove he was in eighth grade. lol

• Love 5

Really enjoyed this ep. I workout a ton and the sore feelings do go away but every once in a while I really push and it's hard to walk for 3 days. So I empathize with Bob and Lynda.

Tina's inability to roll with differences to her imagined ideals is getting to be a real problem for her. She marches up a mountain in the middle of killer storm to get her nature-iphany, she joins and nearly sinks a successful junior lifeguard team while acting out her imagined teen drama the entire time, now she's ready to dump chili all over some poor kid to recreate what she thought of as the perfect mentor-mentee relationship. I mean her characterization as the eternal optimist is consistent, but it's something she really has to get a handle on when it's actively hurting herself and/or others.

• Love 4
On 2/16/2020 at 9:49 PM, ShortyMac said:

All Gene did was mention puberty to prove he was in eighth grade. lol

ALGEBRA! ALGEBRA! 

I felt bad that Tina didnt get the big fish/little fish experience that she wanted, but of course a lot of that is her trying WAY too hard. And all of the other fish pairings seemed to go so well, that must have just made it even worse! Of course Zeke is an amazing Big Fish (because Zeke is the best) but also Jimmy Jr, and even Tammy and Louis ended up having fun together. 

Bob and Linda joining a gym is what I never knew I needed. "We cant turn on each other, we might need each other to survive." 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 2/16/2020 at 6:49 PM, ShortyMac said:

Linda doing leg extensions, "tiny fart that no one heard, kick away the fart."

Linda singing this made me LOL.

On 2/16/2020 at 8:18 PM, Galileo908 said:

HOW ABOUT MY PUBES?

"Now about my PUUUUUBES…"

Loved this ep. Do schools really do Big Fish/Little Fish mentorships? Also, did the writers coin the word "thanquet"? And if so, why did no one ever come up with this before?

I knew Tina would end up with the chili all over herself, but I didn't know that Louise and Gene would come to her rescue in such a sweet way.

The gym moving in next door was fun. Loved the guy. "Now I look like this and I FEEL like I look like this." So glad Bob and Louise came up with that plan to get the contract cancelled. Extra karma for Teddy coming in right then, taking his shirt off, and eating.

• Love 2