Type keyword(s) to search

Bob's Burgers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

"We are going to a place where you can stand in four states at once. I'm going to stand in California, Hawaii, Canada and Chicago. "

Jocelyn is low-key becoming one of my favorite supporting characters! I'm not sure how it happened but she has snuck up on me.

I think my favorite random line was from Louise to horrible Tammy, "That's lip gloss? I thought you'd always JUST finished eating rotisserie chicken."

Tammy was undeniably horrible,  but the whole thing was Tina's fault for inviting her in the first place. Just for a Thunderful badge. Selfish. She ruined March break for the whole family. 

And I'm glad that Teddy was finally forced into interacting with somebody as helpless and annoying as he is!

Edited by CaptainTightpants
  • Love 5

I lost it when when Tammy’s night farts made the bedsheets ruffle a bit. ?

Love the introduction of the term “BFOTs” to add to my B.B. lexicon along with BFOS. I guess if there’s ever a male foreign exchange student, he’d be a BFOC?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, CaptainTightpants said:

"That's lip gloss? I thought you'd always JUST finished eating rotisserie chicken."

She puts on eye shadow like she's frosting a cake. 

2 hours ago, CaptainTightpants said:

Tammy was undeniably horrible,  but the whole thing was Tina's fault for inviting her in the first place. Just for a Thunderful badge. Selfish. She ruined March break for the whole family. 

This is the problem I had with last week too. I wouldn't put it on Tina. Bob and Linda are the actual adults here. They're cramped with three kids in there as it is and adding a fourth plus the added cost of feeding her and making sure she's looked after is just not workable for them. 

I do like when Tina and Louise team up though, and I liked when Louise had the idea to doublecross Tammy and Tina caught on. 

Gene's tooth plot is so Gene. This time around Teddy used his skills to help Bob and Gene. I liked his attention to detail about the color white. 

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Gene's tooth plot is so Gene. This time around Teddy used his skills to help Bob and Gene. I liked his attention to detail about the color white. 

I feel like Teddy is at his best when used in small doses, or as a supporting character like he was here.

"Tighty-whitey white" was such a Gene turn of phrase, as was demanding to know what Dr. Yap did to the rest of Michael Caine.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 4

I can't decide what's worse: that Tammy's parents didn't get off at the nearest port and immediately make their way back to their STRANDED CHILD or that they raised said child (or maybe just avoided raising her) to be the worst houseguest of all time, with no manners, no gratitude, and no respect.

I mean it's one thing to have a kid that turns out to be a Mean Girl who never misses a chance to be cruel to other children (not that I think Wagstaff would ever notice or think to talk to her parents about her behavior), but one that doesn't even try to be respectful of adults? That's a failure of basic parenting. Tammy's lucky she got Bob and Linda, who are basically terrified of confrontation. My mother would have shut down her nonsense within a day, pointing out that she was welcome to try and find somewhere else to stay or she could behave and be helpful.

1 hour ago, flyingdi said:

I missed some of it.  Where was Jocelyn?  Why didn't she take Tammy in?

Literally all the kids she knew except the Belchers were out of town on their own vacations.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, PinkRibbons said:

I can't decide what's worse: that Tammy's parents didn't get off at the nearest port and immediately make their way back to their STRANDED CHILD or that they raised said child (or maybe just avoided raising her) to be the worst houseguest of all time, with no manners, no gratitude, and no respect.

I think the parents took it as a silver lining. The dad was ordering *another* round of drinks when he was on the phone with Bob. 

1 hour ago, PinkRibbons said:

That's a failure of basic parenting. Tammy's lucky she got Bob and Linda, who are basically terrified of confrontation. My mother would have shut down her nonsense within a day, pointing out that she was welcome to try and find somewhere else to stay or she could behave and be helpful.

Oh no way this would fly with any of the parents when we were growing up. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

I mean it's one thing to have a kid that turns out to be a Mean Girl who never misses a chance to be cruel to other children (not that I think Wagstaff would ever notice or think to talk to her parents about her behavior), but one that doesn't even try to be respectful of adults? That's a failure of basic parenting. Tammy's lucky she got Bob and Linda, who are basically terrified of confrontation. My mother would have shut down her nonsense within a day, pointing out that she was welcome to try and find somewhere else to stay or she could behave and be helpful.

Literally all the kids she knew except the Belchers were out of town on their own vacations.

If you notice in the Horse Camp or bat mitzvah episode, Tammy treats her own parents the same way she treats everybody else.  Her father kotows to her.

• Love 1

Gene and the tooth plot was just so hilariously Gene. Especially when he started thinking that he would gain the personality of whoevers tooth he had accidentally eaten. "Where's the rest of Michael Caine, you monster?!"

Tammy is so awful, it was nice seeing her get taken down a bit. That being said, I still enjoy her friendimy thing going on with Tina.

• Love 2

I think I would have enjoyed this episode more if they'd had Louise putting Tammy through a conga line of trauma for every moment she acted like an asshole. Positive punishment and negative reinforcement. She might have reprogrammed Tammy by the time her parents got back! And it would be in characters; Louise can't stand people who annoy her for very long, plus she's always been very protective of Tina from Tammy.

I know "Bed and Breakfast" suffers from pilot-season weirdness (that point where they haven't quite solidified the characters' personalities), but considering what Louise was willing and capable of doing to Teddy for just daring to encroach on her space, I feel like she could have scared Tammy straight within an evening.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, flyingdi said:

I missed some of it.  Where was Jocelyn?  Why didn't she take Tammy in?

She was off standing in California, Hawaii, Canada and Chicago at the same time.

• Love 12
On 3/26/2018 at 6:53 PM, PinkRibbons said:

She might have reprogrammed Tammy by the time her parents got back!

I feel it would have been a Cartman situation…she cleans up her act only for her parents (particularly her dad) to continue their enabling and poor parenting.

• Love 3

After forgetting that they signed up Louise for a soccer league, the Belchers must help her prepare to play in the season's last game; Linda and Gene seize an opportunity to turn the restaurant into a piano bar.

Neighbor: Sleep Tight

Small Mattresses

Exterminator: Crimes and Mouse-Demeanors

Burger(s) of The Day: The Wasabi With You? Burger, The Heirloom Where It Happens Burger

I love Bob and Louise stories, especially if it's something that nobody in the family wanted to do and was pretty much forced to do out of obligation. And I love how nobody on Louise's team wanted to be there, and everyone on the other team was way too into it.

Holy crap, I just realized that H. Jon Benjamin was a soccer coach again, and I'm sure that the kid waiting for the porta potty was a dead ringer for Brendon from Home Movies.

"Get all my dresses and wigs!"
"But what'll YOU wear?" I love Gene.

The Piano Bar is totally a Gene and Linda thing to do and I loved it, as much as I loved the idea of a TSA musical. I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall when they were pitching songs like "If You See Something, Sing Something." 

"Can I still assistant coach?"
"Every damn day, Tina."
"I frikkin love you, man."

That was a sweet ending.

• Love 8

I liked the fact that the piano bar was kind of successful (and that Linda didn't overpower everyone with her love of singing).

Linda: 'You're a show biz family.  Like the Smothers Brothers and the Twisted Sisters!'  

• Love 7

This was a great episode for Louise fans!

I really love the relationship between her and Bob, and it was on full display this evening. First their mutual love of the gladiator show was predictable and awesome. Then the frank acknowledgement from Bob that she is an evil child. And playing to her strengths of "slapping stuff and people" as a transferable skill in life was gold. 

Louise herself pulling the paperbacks out of her socks and yelling "fly pelican brief, fly!' might be one of my favorite lines in the show's full run. 

I always like when they show little glimpses of her soft side. So even though she hates soccer and really wanted to go home, she sucked it up to try to make a good day for the rest of the team. Like a damn champion! 

So I was very pleased with this episode, one of my favorites of this season for sure. 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I liked the fact that the piano bar was kind of successful (and that Linda didn't overpower everyone with her love of singing).

They could have easily made the plot about the restaurant falling apart, but really it was about two sisters reconciling. 

1 hour ago, CaptainTightpants said:

I always like when they show little glimpses of her soft side. So even though she hates soccer and really wanted to go home, she sucked it up to try to make a good day for the rest of the team. Like a damn champion! 

Louise deserves credit here. She did feel bad for the rest of the team and stepped up.

Though I did like how Bob and Linda didn't register that Louise was being sarcastic about soccer in the first place because it was wine night. And of course Bob and Linda talk to the kids by yelling at them from the other end of the apartment. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, revbfc said:

So many Home Movies references, I almost cried.

Not kidding.  I choked up.

Yes! I was barely over recognizing Melissa's voice when Brendan's cameo happened. I think Bob's a better coach than McGuirk. Not that that's difficult.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, revbfc said:

So many Home Movies references, I almost cried.

Not kidding.  I choked up.

I'm not familiar with Home Movies, so I'd appreciate the references being spelled out. :)

Excellent ep. Both stories were really good. I loved the piano bar scenes, the TSA songs, the sister rivalry and getting back to together.

The soccer scenes were great, too. 

I think the scenes where Gene and Linda were dressed up were a homage to The Fabulous Baker Boys, with Linda filling the Michelle Pfeiffer role.

• Love 2

It's been bugging me that I couldn't figure out what the Bob/Louise plot reminded me of...I finally realized there was a similar situation on The Middle some time back:

"After being goaded by his friend Bill Norwood into taking an assistant coaching position on the girls soccer team that Sue is now a member of, Bill has to back out of his duties due to work, and Mike becomes the new head coach but discovers that the girls care more about their various personal issues then the game itself. "

Louise was good at Gagaball and soccer goalkeeping (well, sort of) because of her slapping ability! 

(edited)
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I'm not familiar with Home Movies, so I'd appreciate the references being spelled out. :)

Excellent ep. Both stories were really good. I loved the piano bar scenes, the TSA songs, the sister rivalry and getting back to together.

The soccer scenes were great, too. 

I think the scenes where Gene and Linda were dressed up were a homage to The Fabulous Baker Boys, with Linda filling the Michelle Pfeiffer role.

I'll start from scratch. Home Movies was a cartoon by Loren Bouchard and Brendon Small. Loren went on to create Bob's Burgers, and Brendon made Metalocalypse. Brendon's also been on Bob's Burgers a couple of times as "Animal Control Guy". H. Jon Benjamin was one of the lead actors on Home Movies, and one of the characters he played was a lousy soccer coach called Coach McGuirk. Another main character was Melissa, played by Melissa Galsky, who's a production coordinator on Bob's Burgers and has done a ton of "little girl" voices on Bob's Burgers. In this episode, she played "Mara," one of the soccer players who had a look kind of like her Home Movies character.

The main character on Home Movies was Brendon. When the referee in the Bob's Burgers episode came out of the Portapotty, the wordless character with the weird pointy orange hair looked just like him.

Also, the squeaky voice that H. Jon Benjamin used for a couple of the soccer kids sounds a lot like the squeaky voice he used on Home Movies, but that might not be a conscious reference so much as him not having a huge vocal range.

Edited by Monty
  • Love 2
On 4/1/2018 at 10:07 PM, CaptainTightpants said:

This was a great episode for Louise fans!

I really love the relationship between her and Bob, and it was on full display this evening. First their mutual love of the gladiator show was predictable and awesome. Then the frank acknowledgement from Bob that she is an evil child. And playing to her strengths of "slapping stuff and people" as a transferable skill in life was gold. 

Louise herself pulling the paperbacks out of her socks and yelling "fly pelican brief, fly!' might be one of my favorite lines in the show's full run. 

So I was very pleased with this episode, one of my favorites of this season for sure. 

On 4/1/2018 at 11:37 PM, ganesh said:

Louise deserves credit here. She did feel bad for the rest of the team and stepped up.

While I liked the episode, the issue I had with it is that we've seen this exact same thing play out with Louise multiple times. She's all hard and edgy but then feels bad and does the right thing. 

"You know, leaving you two alone, I thought it would be worse". 

I always love Louis and Bob plots, and this one was a ton of fun. I especially love that Louise and Bob decided to actually try and score a point because it meant a lot to the other girls. Louise is a scary kid, but she does have a little, bunny earned heart. 

Gene and Linda turning the place into a piano bar is so very Gene and Linda.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

She's all hard and edgy but then feels bad and does the right thing. 

That's her character. It's the different scenarios that are interesting. She's probably most like Bob out of the family in that they care about people. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, ganesh said:

That's her character. It's the different scenarios that are interesting. She's probably most like Bob out of the family in that they care about people. 

After a while, I find it boring and repetitive that Louise "learns" the same lesson over and over and over without actually changing. As much as I dislike Tina, she has gained self-awareness and has grown as a character. 

• Love 2
On 4/3/2018 at 7:38 PM, tennisgurl said:

"You know, leaving you two alone, I thought it would be worse". 

I always love Louis and Bob plots, and this one was a ton of fun. I especially love that Louise and Bob decided to actually try and score a point because it meant a lot to the other girls. Louise is a scary kid, but she does have a little, bunny earned heart. 

Gene and Linda turning the place into a piano bar is so very Gene and Linda.

I really love how they low-key establish that Gene and Linda can't be/aren't left alone.

• Love 5

Gene gets invited to his first sleepover and is nervous about it, and when things don't go as planned, he realizes he had a right to be. Meanwhile, Bob and Linda record themselves while sleeping to prove who snores more.

Neighbor: Drastic Measures

Extra Long Tape Measures.

Exterminator: Rat Here Rat Now

Burger(s) of The Day: Judy Garlic Burger (served with garlic tapenade)

"What's that about maxipads?"
"They help him sleep."
"When did this start?"

I love whenever we get little glimpses into Gene's life, and this episode was full of them. I also love that once again we see how Gene is clearly Linda's son (much like how Tina and Louise are Bob's daughters).

“I thought all adults snored. It was the sound of them dying...letting nature take its course”
“Aww, we’re dying.”

That was such a great delivery by Linda.

• Love 9

Oh my GOD did I sympathize with Gene this episode. I couldn't sleep in a house without my mother in it until I was 20. (Or at least I didn't try between the ages of 10 and 20.) Sleepovers were a perpetually reoccurring nightmare that I kept being pressured into by other girls. I was always the last one asleep if I did sleep. No wonder I'm on anxiety meds now.

I gasped so hard when I saw who voiced Alex!!! Now I have to rewatch, I feel like the only person who still loves Richard on Silicon Valley. And it's nice that Gene finally has a distinctive peer like his sisters do. Aside from the sleepover/runaway mishegas they actually seemed like a really good friend match.

Seriously though I hope in the near future Alex stays up late enough to go "find" his mom eating ice cream and scream "HYPOCRITE!"

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, PinkRibbons said:

I gasped so hard when I saw who voiced Alex!!! Now I have to rewatch, I feel like the only person who still loves Richard on Silicon Valley. And it's nice that Gene finally has a distinctive peer like his sisters do. Aside from the sleepover/runaway mishegas they actually seemed like a really good friend match.

Yeah, it seems like every other boy kid is either associated with Tina or Louise. 

And yeah, I also love Richard, but, you know, RIGBY.

• Love 1

"you'll brush your teeth with weird toothpaste that you've never seen before", pretty much sums up the experience of staying anywhere new for as long as you live. Tina nailed it! 

I found it hilarious that Alex figured out a whole plan to sneak out of the house and founded the Alpine Oasis for boys in the woods, with Dubai as a backup plan. But the idea of simply sneaking out of bed at night and raiding the fridge at home never occurred to him.

I absolutely loved that Gene knew that both of his sisters would come up with a plan to save the day. So Gene's plan was pretty much "my sisters are awesome and will save us both". That is an appreciative brother right there. I love how strong the sibling relationship is between the three of them. 

So not only is Bob's burgers a showcase for relationship goals for marriage, but also for pretty much every other part of life. 

• Love 11

I can't say I was a sleepover fan, but I didn't have a huge problem with them. Not really into sleeping on the floor in the living room, but some were ok. 

I thought the plot was a tepid. They could have been a little wackier. I do always like when all the kids do get in on the plot though. I wish we knew a little more about Alex and his family a little more. 

Bob and Linda had a good plot too. I liked how they both were creeped out by Teddy suggesting he watch them sleep. 

• Love 1

I had a couple of friends whose houses I slept over at. I never had a problem with it, and I always noted how different other families were from mine. One mom, however, said I couldn't sleep over again until my friend slept over at my house. For some reason, I never invited her. I think I was kind of ashamed of my family. :(

And then there was a sleepover with Girl Scout friends. That was... weird.

14 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

I gasped so hard when I saw who voiced Alex!!! Now I have to rewatch, I feel like the only person who still loves Richard on Silicon Valley.

I can't stand him, though the actor did a great job voicing Alex. (I can't stand his Verizon commercials, or whatever the product is.)

The closeness of Gene and Linda is so cute. Loved that. I also loved how nervous Gene was about sleeping away from home. 

Alex was a great character. The "cabin in the woods" was awful but so believable for a boy. Cracked me up when Gene observed that he was in a garbage bag in the middle of the woods, adding, "My horoscope was right!"

I like that Linda and Bob ended up using their snoring tape as white noise.

Snory Spelling. George Snore-man. Hee. I'm not sure who Bob was going for with Snora MaRay. Norma Rae?

• Love 1

Glad that it appeared the Maxi Pads were not used! 

The title of this episode made me very happy...oh what can it mean :)

I think Gene could use some more Alex in his life...a little friendship would be good. I know the sibling relationship is the center of things but at least the girls had friendships off and on. Other than the lunch lady, Gene's just been a satellite for his sisters. 

• Love 3

Bob and Linda’s double-date plans take a disastrous turn when the couples find themselves trapped inside an Escape Room. Meanwhile, with the parents out of the house, Louise hosts a zombie-movie night, but when the zombies turn out to be too scary, Tina must take charge.

• Love 1

Neighbor: Shawl Me By Your Name

Embroidered Shawls

Exterminator: I Like Dead Bugs And I Cannot Lie

Burger(s) of The Day: None :(

I loved Linda's double date ideas, the railroad one was my favorite. Like...you can just do that? Any of them would've been better than what they got. Like...other couples suck. I'm sorry. I appreciate that Bob & Linda still use old school flip phones. And that Bob only gets texts from Linda.

Man, I would love that jewish deli zombie movie.

"We were playing Lamps, and...we won."

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 3

I'm all in on anyone that's bringing their dog everywhere. I did like how even though it was Linda's idea she knew the double date was a disaster. 

I love anything when the kids are all together. The buy in for Tina was that Jimmy Jr was coming. 

Talk about Chekhov's poop tape. 

I kind of feel bad for Bob and Linda that they don't really have adult friends and the one couple are just awful.

Edited by ganesh
10 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I'm all in on anyone that's bringing their dog everywhere. 

Actually, that bugged the shit out of me. I work for an organization that provides guide and service dogs for people with disabilities, and they have to deal with assholes like that guy who bring their "emotional support animals" (or buy a service dog vest online and pretend their pet is a service dog) into places where they're not permitted. People with ESAs do not have the same rights of access as those with guide or service dogs. Plus, the dog was poorly behaved. The restaurant (and later the escape room) should have asked the guy to leave (even those with guide or service dogs can be asked to leave a public place if their dog is not behaving correctly). 

• Love 19