Type keyword(s) to search

Bob's Burgers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This was a good one, except that getting drunk on schnapps gave me bad flashbacks -- peppermint schnapps, in my case. Still, watching Linda and Bob starting to get drunk and then seeing them hungover was great. Taping an egg on the ceiling was a great hiding place.

The whole bit with the raccoons was fun.

• Love 1

This was a fun episode, with lots of great lines. Bob and Linda commenting on the schnapps was hysterical, especially the reveal of her buying it in the store parking lot, as was their hangovers the next morning.

I do quibble as to whether a hard-boiled egg would start to smell bad after just a day, especially if the shell hasn't broken. I have personal experience with this. Way back in the 70s, my mom hid eggs inside our home. One egg didn't get found. We did look for it for hours, but finally gave up and just figured that the count was wrong. Months later, I went to turn on a table lamp, and it slightly rocked. I lifted it up, and there was the missing egg, under the (hollow) base.  It didn't smell bad at all, but we still carefully took it outside (without breaking the shell) to put directly into the dumpster.

• Love 3

I had the same thought, but then I thought the implication was the raccoon got to it sooner than they were aware of it? Combined with its being in the heating vent, if they'd been using the heat overnight...it still strains credulity a little, but if the raccoon damaged but didn't destroy the shell and if the heat had been blasting over it...maybe that would've speed up the grossness. That's all I got.

1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

I had the same thought, but then I thought the implication was the raccoon got to it sooner than they were aware of it? Combined with its being in the heating vent, if they'd been using the heat overnight...it still strains credulity a little, but if the raccoon damaged but didn't destroy the shell and if the heat had been blasting over it...maybe that would've speed up the grossness. That's all I got.

That's a good point about the fact of it being in the heating vent speeding up deterioration. I'm assuming the heat would come on at least at night (not sure where on the Atlantic shore they are supposed to be, but I assume more toward the north than the south of the US). I'm surprised, though, that once the raccoon had it that she just didn't go ahead and eat it. 

But that's just a minor quibble over a funny and entertaining episode. I also liked the call back to Bob living in the crawl space, with his "I know the crawl space" lines (paraphrasing).

Linda wins a contest to spend a weekend at the home where her favorite TV show is filmed, but things don't go as planned; Teddy's back goes out while babysitting the kids.

Gene and Bob attend the last-ever rock-and-roll laser show at the planetarium, while Linda and the girls do dinner at a wacky restaurant.

On 4/3/2017 at 2:03 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Except for Mr. Fishoder and Teddy, no one else from the town appeared (and Teddy's actor is a regular). Is that the first time they've done this?

The episode down at Linda's parents' swinging senior community in Florida probably didn't have any non-family.

Edited by dcalley

Zero Larp Thirty:

Neighbor: You Do The Meth recovery clinic

Exterminator: Spray-zed & Confused

Burger(s) of The Day: Creminis and Misdemienas (comes from Cremini mushrooms)

"We won a lifetime supply of insoles?!"

"Try not to alter the future!"
Teddy told you to do ONE thing, Bob, and you go do it.

Yeah, it'd be pretty lousy to pay however much money for a Downton Abbey-like LARP just to be one of the servants. I like that Bob actually enjoying being upstairs, he slowly turned into Sterling Archer. Bob & Linda making up lyrics to the Winthorpe Manor theme was great.

It's weird to see Teddy be somewhat responsible.

The Laser-inth:

Neighbor: Balls To The Wall hardball supply

Exterminator: Jiminy Croak-It

"I like Gretchen, she's your friend who swears."
"She's a cool sassy B who don't take S from anyone."

Yeah, I couldn't hate this show knocking American Girls down a peg. Love that Tina was creeped out by them, and of course Louise wanted no part of them (until she bonded with hers) and scaring Tina with them just cracked me up. I bet the writers just loved writing weird backstories for all the dolls. 

"She was the daughter of a wealthy merchant in the 1890s, whenever that was."

It was great hearing Dave Attell as the scalper.

This ep was much better than the previous one.

• Love 2

I agree, @Galileo908, I much preferred the second episode. This show does sweet really well. The Gene and Bob storyline was spot on. I also liked the two Nicks being just one really bored guy.

Gretchen telling Louise to pretend she's a little girl was probably my favorite line of the night. Tina putting aside her own phobia because Louise wanted the doll was another sweet moment.

• Love 4

As someone who collects dolls and also loves Louise most of all the Belchers, I practically cried happy tears that she connected with and got to keep that doll. Doll-playing chicks get a bad rap and a lot of negative stereotyping. I happily welcome Louise into the community!!!

That LARP situation sounded like something for hardcore history buffs, not TV fans. I would think that someone in charge of the event would have the sense to give everyone a storyline, not just make them play out an average day. I bet Linda would have been a lot happier as a ladies maid if at the same time she was secretly stealing the silver to fund an anarchist plot in Europe.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

That LARP situation sounded like something for hardcore history buffs, not TV fans. I would think that someone in charge of the event would have the sense to give everyone a storyline, not just make them play out an average day. I bet Linda would have been a lot happier as a ladies maid if at the same time she was secretly stealing the silver to fund an anarchist plot in Europe.

I figured it would have been smarter or fairer to have each group swap at the start of the new day so they could all experience life as the upper class and the lower class, seems kind of stupid to pay to be treated like a servant for an entire weekend. 

I thought a peasant revolt was quite an entertaining LARP. I was worried about the library. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

As someone who collects dolls and also loves Louise most of all the Belchers, I practically cried happy tears that she connected with and got to keep that doll.

Tina had better pray she keeps that doll as far away from her as possible lol

I too preferred the second episode to the first. I think my problem with the first, beyond finding the whole LARP situation infuriatingly unfair was that the B plot with the kids and Teddy was so very weak. There was really nothing to that at all. As for Not-Downton, I'd be furious if I paid to serve someone else for a weekend. I'd just leave. I enjoyed the servants revolt and was also worried about the library but it just wasn't enough.

The second episode though, I loved. I thought the Special Girl Café and Louise bonding with a doll was wonderful. Tina's fear was so funny and I just find the whole American Girl thing amusing. I outgrew dolls before they finally came to Canada so I've heard of them but the fact that its all so over the top amuses me.

But the Bob and Gene plot was the best thing this show has done in a while. That was sweet and funny. A laser rock show seems like Gene's thing, but he is also eleven, something that is easy to forget. I love that he wanted so badly to power though for his dad's birthday and that Bob was so excited to share this thing with Gene and put on the amazing laser show in the car. The two Nicks (that was the name right?) made me laugh. The Pluto stuff slayed me because I'm still annoyed and it's been years. Also it's been years so why is the Planetarium just getting rid of it now? Gene declaring that it smells like a skunk smoking and Bob going along with that rather than admit it's weed was hilarious. I just loved this plot so much.

• Love 5

I only just learned this very second that the whole doll deal is something in real life. I'm horrified.

Although, "yes you can drink Linda" before she even asked was hilarious.

I liked both episodes. Gene learning to "roll the rock" was great too. 

I didn't mind the LARPing because it was something just for Linda.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, wayne67 said:

I figured it would have been smarter or fairer to have each group swap at the start of the new day so they could all experience life as the upper class and the lower class, seems kind of stupid to pay to be treated like a servant for an entire weekend. 

I thought a peasant revolt was quite an entertaining LARP. I was worried about the library. 

I agree switching roles half way through should've been the way to go. I assume there are events like this in real life and I'd hope they'd be more fair, unless there are different costs to play the different roles. Or even the company pays the guests to play the downstairs roles, in which case they might as well get actors to play those positions. For that matter, a proportion of all the roles should be actors to keep the authenticity. 

Wow, that LARP event really sucked. You would think they would give them a storyline or something if people are paying a ton of money to hang out in a fancy mansion used on a TV show and wear actual period clothes. Being a maid or butler would probably be more fun if you got to solve a murder or have a secret affair, or something, as others have said. Plus, why would  bunch of TV fans know how to do all this servant stuff, or how to shoot clay pigpens or anything? Its not like that was easy, or something people did with no training. Did they have to light candles or start fire places, because that just screams liability concerns. Seems more like something hard core history buffs would be into.

I liked the second episode a lot better. Gene and Bob at the concert turned out to be really sweet, especially considering they don't tend to have stories alone together very much, and I also loved all the American Girl stuff, especially the café, and Louise connecting with one of the dolls. I love when Louise actually gets to be a little kid, no matter how she thinks she sucks at it. I LOVED American Girl when I was a kid! I went to the American Girl Store in Chicago for my birthday and got to have lunch with my favorite doll in the American Girl Café, it was an awesome day. I learned a lot about history, alright! It wasn't weird! And some of those dolls really did have surprisingly dark stories attached to them. My favorite doll was Addy, who was a runaway slave in the Civil War, who had a whole lot of bad things happen to her during her book series. My mom cried when she read the books to me! A few times! I still have most of my dolls, just at my parents house. This episode kind of makes me want to go and visit them...  

The American Girl backstories always remind me of Tim Gunn reading about the dolls and being horrified. I had Kirsten, whose best friend died of cholera, as one might when immigrating from Sweden. 

That second episode has to be my favorite of the season. Both of the storylines worked and were sweet to boot. 

• Love 1
On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 9:30 PM, Galileo908 said:

Zero Larp Thirty:

Neighbor: You Do The Meth recovery clinic

Exterminator: Spray-zed & Confused

Burger(s) of The Day: Creminis and Misdemienas (comes from Cremini mushrooms)

"We won a lifetime supply of insoles?!"

"Try not to alter the future!"
Teddy told you to do ONE thing, Bob, and you go do it.

Yeah, it'd be pretty lousy to pay however much money for a Downton Abbey-like LARP just to be one of the servants. I like that Bob actually enjoying being upstairs, he slowly turned into Sterling Archer. Bob & Linda making up lyrics to the Winthorpe Manor theme was great.

It's weird to see Teddy be somewhat responsible.

The Laser-inth:

Neighbor: Balls To The Wall hardball supply

Exterminator: Jiminy Croak-It

"I like Gretchen, she's your friend who swears."
"She's a cool sassy B who don't take S from anyone."

Yeah, I couldn't hate this show knocking American Girls down a peg. Love that Tina was creeped out by them, and of course Louise wanted no part of them (until she bonded with hers) and scaring Tina with them just cracked me up. I bet the writers just loved writing weird backstories for all the dolls. 

"She was the daughter of a wealthy merchant in the 1890s, whenever that was."

It was great hearing Dave Attell as the scalper.

This ep was much better than the previous one.

I think it was handball supplies.

I loved both episodes

• Love 1

After Louise gets in trouble at school, Linda is forced to meet with Mr. Frond and potentially could lose her hard-earned position as the Wagstaff bake sale leader. When she finds out that her daughter was actually trying to help another student, Linda is torn between following school policy or her own moral code.

On 4/24/2017 at 0:58 AM, wayne67 said:

If it were real I would've expected the paying participants to have reserved a spot as upstairs or downstairs, their own choice. Since two were contest winners I could see them not having the choice, but it didn't make sense it'd be completely blind for everyone, or if it were, they would've at least all been expecting it, and knew there was the possibility they'd be LARPing as one or the other.

Neighbor: A Curd in The Hand homemade cheeses 

Exterminator: These Are A Fume of My Favorite Things

Burger of The Day: Glory Glory Jalapeno Burger (it's been a while since the BOTD was relevant to the plot)

Love how seriously Teddy takes the bake sale. And he just wanted to be helpful, dammit! I knew Teddy finally getting to help would be a hilarious disaster.

So Louise pantsed someone in honor of POCKET-sized Rudy?! Louise has come so far.

"It's us, Tina and Gene. This is Tina." Never change, Tina, especially getting the view of Jimmy Junior's butt.

"Did I say cool kids? I meant slow kids."
"That's us!"

Gene was also great tonight. Loved his angry hot dog drawings.

• Love 6

i know its essential to the plot tonight for bob not to have an emergency eye wash but that is something health inspector hugo would give them a violation for. i love how the kids always outsmart frond. he believed Louise's explanation for the notes.

• Love 1

So the title invoked Thelma and Louise, the ending (plotwise) had a distinctly Ferris Bueller vibe, but the song at the end was Dirty Dancing. I see a 2/3 Jennifer Grey pattern but otherwise, I was sort of confused.

• Love 1

I loved Zeke's relationship with the receptionist. "New shorts?" *waves* Zeke totally runs the school.

I always like when the restaurant is doing well too!

• Love 10
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

So the title invoked Thelma and Louise, the ending (plotwise) had a distinctly Ferris Bueller vibe, but the song at the end was Dirty Dancing. I see a 2/3 Jennifer Grey pattern but otherwise, I was sort of confused.

The Dirty Dancing end threw me off, too.  While it alluded to Teddy desperately wanting to help Bob, it still felt strangely removed from the episode.  Although it was cool to see Bob and Teddy do the lift!

Linda and Louise themed episodes leave me cold, so this wasn't one of my favorites.

52 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I loved Zeke's relationship with the receptionist. "New shorts?" *waves* Zeke totally runs the school.

Zeke is my favorite kid at Wagstaff.

Of COURSE, the day Linda isn't around is the day the restaurant gets swamped with customers. :-D

I wondered what was going to be a result of Teddy playing with the Jalapenos on that burger. I was expecting everyone to leave in disgust at seeing the poked-up burgers.

I'm glad to see the restaurant doing so well! It really should, they're in a pretty touristy area, and are a non chain place with cool specialty burgers. People love that.

Zeke is so awesome. I want a whole episode from his point of view.

Of course working at the store is the best day of Teddy's life.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ganesh said:

I think the restaurant should be doing better than it usually is. Locally owned, non chain specialty burgers? 

IA, but the premise hinges on them being a struggling greasy spoon, so they're reluctant to show any real success for the restaurant. At least long term.  

What I don't believe is that Teddy is still their only regular after all this time.  The restaurant is right by a tourist spot (Wonder Wharf) and even if they don't get lots of tourists, I'm surprised that the carnival employees don't stop in often.  I wonder if it's a budgetary thing; they're allotted funds for guest voice actors, but not additional voice actors on a regular basis (although Larry Murphy voices Teddy, and he was just promoted to regular status) so there's Teddy and no one else.  Mort barely shows up anymore.

• Love 1

But most voice actors can play multiple roles -- they do on "The Simpsons" and other animated shows -- so why can't they do it here? I think H. Jon Benjamin voices at least one other character, and Larry Murphy voices Gretchen, doesn't he?

1 hour ago, Amethyst said:

IA, but the premise hinges on them being a struggling greasy spoon, so they're reluctant to show any real success for the restaurant. At least long term.  

What I don't believe is that Teddy is still their only regular after all this time.  The restaurant is right by a tourist spot (Wonder Wharf) and even if they don't get lots of tourists, I'm surprised that the carnival employees don't stop in often.  I wonder if it's a budgetary thing; they're allotted funds for guest voice actors, but not additional voice actors on a regular basis (although Larry Murphy voices Teddy, and he was just promoted to regular status) so there's Teddy and no one else.  Mort barely shows up anymore.

No real success, but only 2 people in there at any time just doesn't fit. Every time Bob has done something, business goes up. All the people from the cooking show came. I can't imagine they wouldn't return from time to time. 

You don't really need additional voice actors, you could just show more people in the restaurant. 

Bob's strikes me as a place that could do great word of mouth. 

5 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I miss Mort! He was a voice of reason to balance out the insanity of Teddy.

I knew it would be bad, but Teddy poking those jalapeños back into the burgers made me cringe! 

Mrs. Frond has way more personality than her son. I wonder what went so wrong with nobody's favourite guidance counselor?

Louise remains my favorite Belcher by a long shot, (except Bob who is also awesome). But I got all excited because I thought Regular Size Rudy was going to put in an appearance, his episodes are usually stellar. But I got the fake out with pocket sized Rudy! (: 

I had to laugh about Louise's reasoning for getting his lunch back though, "he is so tiny, he needs to eat!"

• Love 5

Linda's nasty cold leads to her missing the Mother's Day show at Wagstaff, which Bob videos. But when his outdated camcorder malfunctions, the kids put on a reimagined version of the pageant for Linda at home.

• Love 1
(edited)

Neighbor: Sock Her, Mom Ladies Boxing Gym

Exterminator: Mother Knows Pest

Not surprised that the Belchers have a terrible camcorder and not any phones with cameras in them. I also love how appropriately crummy the performances were. Zeke giving a shout out to his stepmom was great.

Oh, it's a 3 shorts episode.

The Town With No Moms: Western! Loved seeing Regular-Sized Rudy as the sheriff. I lost it at his "inhaler."

"Ask the jail full of moms if I'm afraid of moms."

Eternally Maternal: Of course Gene's was the musical. And once again the day was saved by farting.

Moms Are Out of This World: "It takes place out of this world." Freaking loved that it was an Aliens spoof, THEN a Freaky Friday plot. "Freaky Frid-Aliens!" Tina as Ripley, and Jocelyn as the Xenomorph Queen was the best thing. Leave it to this show to reference Caligula during the whole thing.

This episode was so, so good. 

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 3

I loved this episode, especially Tina's retelling of her part of the performance (although they were all good).  It's been said before, but I really love how supportive Bob is with his family, going along most of their ideas and schemes (although this one was mainly to cover his own butt).

Louise:  'Damn these rubber bands!  Damn 'em to hell!'

Louise: 'What mythology is that?'  Gene: 'It's kind of a mishmash.  Greek, Roman, Pokemon, Tex-Mex, you know.'

• Love 5

"It was like Avenue Q meets Caligula meets a fight outside of a Dairy Queen!" Apparently Bob knows what Caligula is, and Gene knew what it was without having seen it (not unlike Bob scolding Louise for watching Game of Thrones in the 3 stories episode with Gayle).

I liked that Linda knew at the end that they were all making it up. 

The whole Alien/Freaky Friday won the episode for me though. 

Bob is really at his best when he's rolling with whatever wtfery the rest of the family is putting out.

Could the"Moms are out of this World" bit somehow be this Fox show's way of promoting Alien:Covenant(which opens in two weeks..)?

(edited)
2 hours ago, ganesh said:

I liked that Linda knew at the end that they were all making it up. 

The whole Alien/Freaky Friday won the episode for me though. 

Bob is really at his best when he's rolling with whatever wtfery the rest of the family is putting out.

Freaky FridAlien rocked.

I was bummed  that bland bed wetter Jessica wasnt  in  Louise's play, was hoping this would finally be where she made another appearance. No Drl or Tammy either which sucked.

Edited by blaase