Type keyword(s) to search

Bob's Burgers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Normally when the kids complain about Mr. Frond, I think it's mostly to do with the fact that he's a little weird, but the fact that he would teach kids the wrong things sex-ed wise just so he can have a more compelling drama only goes to show that the kids are right to dislike him and that he is pretty awful. I was very proud of Tina when she did her own research and told the truth at the assembly. Props to Bob for giving her the pep talk she needed to do that and for letting his daughter grow up and not being an overprotective dad.

Also, the shipper in me was very happy that Tina and Zeke got to kiss and that he also proposed to her in the fantasy sequence. I think Zeke is way better than Jimmy Jr.

• Love 8

I loved loved loved Bob's talk with Tina! Now that's parenting. And I really liked Tina doing what she felt was right…and wanting to kiss the entire front row.

Zeke has said it before, he's gonna marry Tina. I believe it.

• Love 2

I think Zeke is way better than Jimmy Jr.

I agree. They're are many occasions when it's obvious Jimmy Jr. can't stand to be around Tina, although the fact that her behavior with him is borderline creepy/stalkerish could help explain that. Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1
That was a great talk between Tina and Bob....and yet I started giggling because of the spaghetti on Tina's pillow.

And she had some in her hand, so when she gestured, a little bit was flung across the room.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Normally when the kids complain about Mr. Frond, I think it's mostly to do with the fact that he's a little weird, but the fact that he would teach kids the wrong things sex-ed wise just so he can have a more compelling drama only goes to show that the kids are right to dislike him and that he is pretty awful. I was very proud of Tina when she did her own research and told the truth at the assembly.

So I wasn't imagining things when I remembered mono being called "the kissing disease" around the 1950's?

• Love 1

Zeke would be a *way* better bf than Jimmy Jr. Jimmy sulks a lot and seems like he could be a stick in the mud. Zeke is always down for whatever as long as everyone is having fun. I also think Zeke would be the type to stick up for some of the other kids.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Zeke would be a *way* better bf than Jimmy Jr. Jimmy sulks a lot and seems like he could be a stick in the mud. Zeke is always down for whatever as long as everyone is having fun. I also think Zeke would be the type to stick up for some of the other kids.

This means Tammy was right.

Also, "Taint Misbehavin" is the best stripper name ever.

You ain't lying! I was cracking up!

Light Tights?  Tights, with light up fannies?  I... googled this. It is NOT real people!

There there. ;)

So I wasn't imagining things when I remembered mono being called "the kissing disease" around the 1950's?

I went to school in the 60s and 70s, and I remember it being called that too. If someone got mono, all the kids seemed to feel that the person was slutty or loose or promiscuous (or whatever name you want to use). I didn't really understand how it all worked.

Loved this ep. The Lost and Found Auction was great. When Teddy jumped up to say he wanted the I Voted sticker, Linda says, "Teddy get down!" Linda really was a good salesperson. 

Teddy: She sold me a nickel for a dime once.

I've seen lots of those shoe wine holders, so I'm glad that Bob discovered they're been around for a while.

Boy, Tina's really been studying spin the bottle. Of course. I thought this was such a good storyline. It's more dangerous to spread lies than mono. I don't think she actually said that. I think it was more like misinformation is dangerous. Anyway, I loved her harmonium dreams. I love that she actually got to kiss a few boys.

Although Mr Frond is terrible to be spreading the misinformation, he's still funny. "Just press your feelings into a tight little diamond and sparkle!" "And Candy, let's make sure those jazz hands look jazzier, ok? It's not called wet napkin hands!"

LOVE how the Fishoeders snuck out.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 4

I just love this show so much. As good as the Tina story was, I think my favorite part was Linda's ridiculous/fun idea and how the other Belchers slowly got into it with her. So many other family sitcoms create consistently adversarial relationships to generate story and I love how Bob's Burgers doesn't do that--the Belchers are a family on the same goofy wavelength.

• Love 3

When Bob’s friend, Warren, comes to town, he makes an offer to invest in the restaurant. Bob is thrilled that it finally could get a much-needed makeover, until he learns that Warren has some strong interior design choices in mind. Meanwhile, Warren’s visit means one of the kids must give up their bedroom.

When Louise hears that Boo Boo is leaving Boyz 4 Now, she enters a contest that could give Tina the chance to meet him. Meanwhile, Bob and Linda learn an interesting piece of history regarding the restaurant, which leads to tension between Bob and Jimmy Pesto.

After finally convincing Bob and Linda to send her to horse camp, Tina realizes she has to part ways with Jericho, her imaginary horse. Meanwhile, Linda decides to create a restaurant camp in an attempt to make things fair for Gene and Louise.

Saw this last night on a rerun. It was hilarious!

Poor Bob. He tries to do good and just has become part burger master- part Rodney Dangerfield. I just wanted to give his poor drunk/roofied self a hug.

Man, though, I thought Louise would be the instrument of destruction. After how she found out about Tina getting swindled, I though unholy hell was to be unleashed. Yet, Bob did well until the fatal zombie fan fiction. 

I hope that the Equesticles found the proper owners for the other parts of that dude's "collection". They seem generally nice, if not the most...self-assured of guys.

I missed the neighbor shop, pest control and any burgers, but that's what Hulu and Netflix are for!

That's b/c the other candidate didn't want it.

But even before that, he was considering Tina an equally qualified candidate. And when he was down to just Tina, he didn't show any disappointment in the choice.

Neighbor: Don't Stop Bereaving Grief Counseling

Exterminator: Final Pestination

Burger of The Day: All in a Glaze Work Burger (served with a balsamic glaze); If At First You Don't Sesame Seed, Thai, Thai Again Burger; Turn The Other Leek Burger; There was one with Sprouts and Kraut, but I didn't catch it.

I love how Bob gets giddy over seeing an actual friend he had. It's weird to see Chris Parnell voice a character that isn't a pathetic nebbishy guy, I was expecting Warren to have gone broke.

Gene was, again, great. I loved New Geneland, and I loved Bob recognizing Gene's authority as King. Getting the room with the TV was always a luxury.

• Love 5

This episode bothered me. Bob may make fantastic burgers, but his restaurant is a disgusting dive. Warren should have talked it over with Bob before making all those changes, but I was hoping Bob might finally be on the path to success. Also, if Bob gave Warren back the entire $100,000, who paid for all the changes in the restaurant?

I would totally visit New Geneland.

• Love 4

Yeah, Bob's place is a dump, but it's HIS dump. It's honest and he likes it the way it is. It's quite a good metaphor for the family itself if I must say.

Didn't Warren say the tiki stuff was leftovers from a place that went out of business? Also, someone had to pay for the new menus.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 3

It's weird to see Chris Parnell voice a character that isn't a pathetic nebbishy guy

and to hear him and Bob speak on equal terms after I'm so used to hearing the Archer/Cyril relationship.

• Love 2

I had to wait for the credits to see who voiced Warren. I'm not an Archer watcher, so Parnell's voice didn't strike me right away.

I thought this was a pretty good ep. I'm sorry that Bob couldn't accept Warren's help, but it makes sense for the character.

Bob: He wants to come stay with us this weekend. Is that ok?
Linda: Of course! He's your only friend! I mean your oldest friend!

Loved New Geneland, whose chief export is natural gas. Naturally. "I've already got the dutch oven set at the perfect temperature."

Warren: Did you say 'pee-plant'?
Gene: And you are welcome to use it, sir.
Warren: Oh thanks, but I'm covered. I've got a pee-shoe in your closet.
Gene: Oh. Right. My rain boot.
Warren: I was just kidding. Are you really peeing in your rain boots?
Gene: NNNNnnoooooooo.

Teddy: Hey, I just realized it's called an awning because it's ON the window. (or should I spell that on-ing)

Loved Tina saying the menus went from "laminated to kaBLAManated."

Bob: Why are you so good at throwing menus?

Louise: What do you think we do all day?

• Love 2

The thing that bothered me in this episode, like the couch one, is that apparently the Belchers are resistant to change, Perhaps it's a meta joke about cartoon characters never aging so continuity is important? 

Although I'd hate the tiki thing too, it seems like you'd want at least SOME success. 

(saw this on Crains Detroit Business this morning!)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/topic/1267/food-drink

• Love 2

Bob can be upset all he wants because the people came into the restaurant when they saw all the tiki junk, but no one disputes that the food is good, so they're going to be back based on that. If the food was terrible, no one is coming back. 

I know I'm reading too much into it, but Bob should have put his foot down earlier with Warren. The restaurant has zero advertising and it could use a fix up. Why not get an awning and put some tables outside? I mean, they've got Jimmy Pesto's across the street. 

I just disagree with the episode ending without anything changing. 

• Love 2

Episodes like these bum me out.  The Belchers are forever in financial straits, so seeing Bob deny a $100,000 investment was more depressing than amusing.  Warren went too far with the Tiki motif, but Bob didn't object to anything until he finally snapped.  And he didn't talk to Linda about any of it, which made the problem worse.  She could have given Bob some perspective.

I also think he freaked out when Jimmy Pesto actually complimented his restaurant, because Jimmy Pesto is the absolute worst, blah blah blah.  But, Bob wouldn't be like Jimmy anyway because unlike Jimmy, Bob makes a real effort to make good food and always has. 

• Love 1

Neighbor: Get Off My Back tramp stamp removal

Exterminator: Ants Like No One Was Watching

Burger(s) of The Day: Fig Lebowski Burger, My Farro Lady Burger

"I love plaques! They're like jewelry for buildings!"

"She's happy and slappy!"

Great to see Boyz 4 Now again, the first episode they were in was so great. I loved how that girl's dad was so into it (and the mom trying but failing to calm him down).

"I've got a Boo Boo booboo on my soul."

"Boo! Boo!"
"Wait, that's confusing."
"I said boo twice."

"It could even miss Boo Boo!"
"Who's Miss Boo Boo?"
"Is she our teacher?"

I loved all the Boo Boo wordplay in this one.

We don't often see how sad Jimmy Pesto actually is, I was surprised Bob let him have his fake mob history.

• Love 2

Yeah, I too was surprised that Bob let Jimmy Pesto be. I thought we'd get a big parody of gangster wars.

Bob: What's he doing out there?
Teddy: Maybe he's wondering the same thing about us, Bob.

That was a pretty diabolical plan the fan club had. Got to hand it to them. I'm glad we didn't actually see puke. I'd rather see someone beheaded than someone puking. I mean in general, not on this show.

Love Andy and Olly at the drinking fountain. Oh, and later when they're trying to block the two women. "Windmill arms!"

Louise: You disgusting, beautiful, garbage angel.

Louise: They're going spew-cular.

Louise: Do you remember THIS? [slap]
Boo Boo: Oh my god! How are you?

Linda: What are you going to do?
Bob: I'm going to call that history professor.
Gene: Oooooo, tough guy!

• Love 3

Boo Boo remembering the slap but not Louise cracked me up.  I didn't expect him to remember her, but it was hilarious that he asked how she was rather than yelling "Get away from me!" or something similar.

The Spew Crew--anyone else surprised the dad wasn't actually on the ride?

I loved Tina accepting her swampy pits.

• Love 2

I cringe when Jimmy Pesto feels the need to get into whatever Bob's doing, so I missed whether Jimmy's was actually the death spot. I kept thinking that Jimmy's would be the actual place and that the professor had accidently looked at the wrong side of the street.  Bob rarely gets a straight-forward win when it comes to Jimmy, so I hoped Bob would get one. Bob is very cool in his low-keyness.

The kids were fun. Yes, Christie/Kristie's dad was very funny and I was surprised he wasn't trying to get in on the ride and/ or spewing. Tina was her awesome big sister self and Louise was her awesome self too. BooBoo's reaction to the slap was great. What I didn't know until tonight was that Max Greenfield was BooBoo! I love Max Greenfield, so this knowledge was bonus fun.

I also really enjoy the nutty songs this show has. I hope they keep amusing us as much as they clearly amuse themselves.

• Love 1

Bob is strictly about his burgers. He didn't want the awning and the tikis and he does not care about who got shot where. Not to get too deep into it, but I liked how it contrasted Bob and Jimmy. Jimmy is a hack and will do a whole bunch of stuff to get people in the restaurant because he can't rely on the quality of the food. 

Bob is too low key though. No one is in the restaurant because he won't advertise. Every time there are new people in there, they all have complimented Bob on the food. 

I don't know why I'm so invested in a cartoon restaurant success. 

• Love 14

Liked this episode a lot for the Boo Boo storyline, but I'm getting frustrated with Bob and his aversion to any sort of success. Although it's kind of non-canonical...Gene handing out samples, flyers with promotions, sending burgers to the bank hostages so he'd get his name on TV...all these things happened in the past, why doesn't Bob want publicity now? 

• Love 1

Don't forget when Bob was on the cooking show. Linda was saying he's always afraid to be successful and tends to sabotage himself. After the show, there were a bunch of people lined up at the restaurant, even the guy who won the competition. 

• Love 2
On 5/10/2016 at 0:52 PM, bad things are bad said:

Liked this episode a lot for the Boo Boo storyline, but I'm getting frustrated with Bob and his aversion to any sort of success. Although it's kind of non-canonical...Gene handing out samples, flyers with promotions, sending burgers to the bank hostages so he'd get his name on TV...all these things happened in the past, why doesn't Bob want publicity now? 

On 5/9/2016 at 4:30 PM, ganesh said:

Bob is strictly about his burgers. He didn't want the awning and the tikis and he does not care about who got shot where. Not to get too deep into it, but I liked how it contrasted Bob and Jimmy. Jimmy is a hack and will do a whole bunch of stuff to get people in the restaurant because he can't rely on the quality of the food. 

Bob is too low key though. No one is in the restaurant because he won't advertise. Every time there are new people in there, they all have complimented Bob on the food. 

When I rewatched the episode, Bob annoyed me more than the first time. It's one thing if his business is slow because he doesn't promote it, but it's another when he goes out of his way to sabotage his own business. Even artists are smart enough to know they have to earn money to live. Bob has a family he loves; you'd think that would be enough of a motivator for him to pursue some semblance of success. If not, that just makes him selfish. 

I don't know why I'm so invested in a cartoon restaurant success.

So am I; I can't figure it out either. 

• Love 4

but it kinda bugged me that he didn't out Jimmy Pesto as a fraud nor quietly put up his plaque.

I am not understanding Bob if he refused to do the second thing mentioned. I've travelled a bit in my time, but even in someplace like New Orleans I didn't have time to read all the plaques. Bob putting up the historical plaque would not hurt Jimmy unless folks stopped to read it. Then it would be up to the readers as to whether they said/did anything.  By not putting the plaque up, Bob's not just letting Jimmy have a moment, but denying his shop  legitimate historic value and legitimate PR. Linda might call a TV crew to do a piece on the plaque, but that still doesn't seem to be any threat to Jimmy Pesto's.

Add me to the concerned-about-a-pretend-restaurant table, please.

• Love 2

Neighbor: Nice Knockers elegant door handles

Exterminator: Dead Bug Walking

Burger of The Day: Chutney The Front Door Burger, You're Kimchi The Best Burger, Teriyaki A New One Burger 

God, I loved Tina's horse fantasies. Jericho (and the other horses) was really well animated. Tina's plot was weird, but totally her. I loved that the whole family was behind her.

As soon as they brought up that the deep fryer was busted, and thus no fries, that Teddy was gonna be pissed about that and I was right. I love Teddy, seeing him trying to repair it was gold.

I love that Jocelyn's mom looked and sounded exactly like her.

• Love 3

Paul Rudd was perfect as Jericho, I just wish we could have seen more of him.  That breakdown scene was hilarious.

Getting tired of these plots that have the Belchers wasting or losing their money somehow.  Tina's happiness aside, Bob was right that they didn't need to spend the fryer money if Tina just ended up riding her imaginary horse in the end.  Wish they could have just gotten the money back.  That said, Tina shouldn't have been stuck with such a dud of a horse in the first place.  

• Love 5
(edited)

Tina shouldn't have been stuck with such a dud of a horse in the first place.

He was definitely a dud, but at least she got to experience what it was like to ride a real horse (for a few minutes, anyway). I guess no real horse could have measured up to Jericho, anyway--even if she had gotten a 'good' one.  Have we seen Jericho before (or has she mentioned him)?

As usual, I thought Gene had the best lines.  (raising his shirt) 'I am happy with how my God's Eyes straw bra turned out.  God's gettin' an eyeful.'

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 6

So, we're all in agreement that Linda in short shorts and knee socks is hot. Right?

2 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

As soon as they brought up that the deep fryer was busted, and thus no fries, that Teddy was gonna be pissed about that and I was right.

I always like how he gets super belligerent about the food.

I actually didn't like Tina's plot. She really likes horses so the one horse she gets assigned to doesn't like her? Why would they have that kind of horse in a camp for kids?

She's a good kid and doesn't deserve that. I get that the plot of bonding with the horse is tropey and they wanted to do something different. They could have just had it that once Tina finally got to interact with a live animal that it was completely different than her fantasy. Maybe the horse didn't like being ridden, but still liked Tina. 

I did like that they made a sign for her, and were realistic "we can't afford Montana, but we can send you to a day camp if we don't have fries for a month," and Tina totally hugged everyone.

Which, Bob ffs, take the investment money, advertise, and get on social media. Your burgers are very good. Everyone who eats there likes them. I get that you don't want to sell out, but you can be a half-level above where you don't have to make financial decisions about sending your daughter to a day camp or fixing kitchen equipment. Come on. This recent spate of sad sack with the restaurant is getting to be a little much. 

• Love 8

but at least she got to experience what it was like to ride a real horse (for a few minutes, anyway).

Tina lasted the whole week, so more than just a few minutes. I felt for Tina as she was leaving the table and Louise said, " Cool limp you have goin'."

Jericho's panic was just right, but then the jean shorts! "What am I even wearing?!"

The instructor is lucky she was dealing with Bob and Linda. If my kid came home and was limping that noticeably, I'd be all up in their business. IA with Amethyst: the instructor should have stopped Plops after the trying to scrape Tina off incident. It's a freaking day camp, not the Olympic Training center; switch out Plops for a gentler/ more amenable horse. Of course I get that the humor came from Tina trying to win over Plops and Plops not having it. It just seems that with the Burger-verse being all sue-happy ( or at least threatening to sue seems to happen a lot), that a horse trying to injure a minor would be not only something to be avoided, but something to be complained about more by the instructor ( "Look, it's Tina- the girl so delicate that she can't have a horse smear her around the corral.")

I just enjoy Gene's come-what-may embracing of the Now. He's almost dog-like in that. Gene has plans and hopes, but he's willing to see where the day takes him this time. Still, he and Louise were a bit harsh on restaurant camp, imo. Being mercenary enough to jump on not working is what kids do, but to badmouth their mom in front of Pesto's clueless kids was a bit much. Especially Gene's "and genocide a little further down" after restaurant camp and work. I did like that Louise is thinking of going as Apronface for Halloween. I hope that is shown as her costume or at least a solid maybe idea.

Bob jumping in as Old Man Belcher at the end was fun. That poor customer, though. I hope, between Teddy and the song, that the customer had a really nice burger and tells folks about the good food.

• Love 4