Type keyword(s) to search

Bob's Burgers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Rudy was shown when Gene was first describing his good deed (when the kids were sitting in a booth).

I did step away for a little bit during the show. I didn't think I missed much, but I guess I did. I also missed the details on Teddy and his hockey team. So I thought the show was confirming that Teddy was Jewish. But reading here, it turns out he was only pretending so he could be on the hockey team. That clears up why Linda called the two guys working the lights during The Nice Capades schmucks. I just thought she was being bitchy.

Oh, Gayle totally dropped that towel on purpose. There was the one time she tried to seduce him, so Bob and Linda tried to divert her attentions towards Doctor Yap, and then there was the time she pickdd up Bob from dental surgery and he was so drugged-up he mistook her for Linda.

I wasn't in the Christmas spirit (too early), so I was not paying full attention to this episode, but I didn't notice Gene or Tina indicating they didn't still believe in Santa themselves, so I assumed they all still believed.

I'm a little obsessed with Bob's Burgers so I know the answer to this, it was established in "Christmas in the Car" that all three kids very much still believe in Santa.  That's the ep where Louise creates a "Santa trap" that Teddy gets caught in and Bob mentions to Tina that he's grateful that she plays along with Louise' belief in Santa and Tina doesn't really know what he's talking about (because she still believes, too).  It's implied that all of the kids are a bit too old to believe in Santa but they all do nonetheless.

I loved Nice-Capades!  It's definitely my favorite Christmas episode so far.  I think my favorite throwaway moment was Linda getting distracted by the fudge shop while talking to Henry Winkler, ("Ooh, fudge!").  Also, I just loved the exchange with Bob, Edith, and Harold--their irrational hatred of Bob and Bob's long-suffering acceptance of it just makes me laugh (also, the idea that Bob is having a Christmas Eve felt-emergency).

Edited by Blue Castle

Just because Tina believed in Santa back then doesn't mean she hasn't changed her mind in the meanwhile. I hope next time around she does. I can't imagine someone Tina's age doesn't have classmates who talk about it. 

Edited by ganesh

In theory I'd agree but with most cartoons, and so far this one has not done anything to make me think otherwise, the characters are sort of ageless. So even though we'll get another Christmas episode next season, and we just got another this season, the kids aren't actually ever treated as older. It's not really a year passing or they'd all be way too old by now anyway. So I don't think there's hope for age-based character growth, unless they decided to revolve a whole episode about whatever realization it might be.

• Love 1
I need the lyrics to Mr Fischoeder's bourbon song.

Thanks, Internet :)

When the last present's delivered ♪ ♪ And the snow outside's gettin' thicker ♪ ♪ So let's open that bottle of liquor ♪ ♪ Hey, bourbon, take me home ♪ ♪ On bourbon, on vodka, on scotch and on gin ♪ ♪ Take me back ♪ ♪ Let the North Pole dancing begin ♪ ♪ It's my party... ♪

• Love 2

Oh, Gayle totally dropped that towel on purpose. There was the one time she tried to seduce him, so Bob and Linda tried to divert her attentions towards Doctor Yap, and then there was the time she pickdd up Bob from dental surgery and he was so drugged-up he mistook her for Linda.

Those incidents were in the same episode titled "Dr. Yap" (Season 2). Bob mistook Gayle for Linda and kissed her. Gayle thought Bob wanted her and they steered Gayle toward Dr. Yap.

Linda (to Bob): You're Vinny!

• Love 1

I didn't like this one because the family was split up. Good for Tina for thinking to look up how to good a turkey, but I mean, Linda screwing up that bad was a little much. I also don't like when Bob is made out to be a sad sack, and Linda knowing Gayle fakes it without warning Bob was a little much.

Points for Bob being able to get the cat to climb on to him, and the ingenuity for using the sled. There's no cabs in the city though?

Gayle dropping the towel was funny. I think she did it on purpose. 

The only time Linda ever really gets under my skin is when she is covering for Gayle.  Like in the art walk episode, or the Dr. Yap cabin episode.

And I say this as someone who is probably only 8 steps away from being Gayle.  I'm the younger sister, I'm single, I'm a little more creative and march to the beat of my own drummer.....I've never made up my own board game, but who knows where I'll be in 10 years.....

• Love 1

Those incidents were in the same episode titled "Dr. Yap" (Season 2). Bob mistook Gayle for Linda and kissed her. Gayle thought Bob wanted her and they steered Gayle toward Dr. Yap.

Linda (to Bob): You're Vinny!

I just happened to be watching that ep as I type this! For the record, Gayle dropped her towel in front of Bob, who was horrified.
  • Love 1

You know even though Rudy isn't as spontaneous as a character could be, I think that the belcher kids benefit from Rudy as much as Rudy enjoys hanging out with them. In every episode he's been in he's been pretty useful, he willingly went with louise into the jungle during the field trip episode, and provided critical information to steal the chocolate when they were on the wine train. I like Rudy,  not only because he's funny, but because his interaction with the kids creates interesting story plots, I want to see more of him. :)

• Love 3

You know even though Rudy isn't as spontaneous as a character could be, I think that the Belcher kids benefit from Rudy as much as Rudy enjoys hanging out with them. In every episode he's been in he's been pretty useful, he willingly went with Louise into the jungle during the field trip episode, and provided critical information to steal the chocolate when they were on the wine train. I like Rudy,  not only because he's funny, but because his interaction with the kids creates interesting story plots, I want to see more of him. :)

I think Regular Sized Rudy is a hoot, not only because of how they refer to him -- and he accepts the moniker. Hanging out with Louise has already allowed him to "live" far more than his overprotective mother would allow. 

I feel pretty bad for Regular Sized Rudy: asthma, allergic to chocolate, left with only a beanbag chair for a friend on a wine train. At least he gets to hang out with the Belchers once in a while.

I think he's not allergic to chocolate -- he only said that to mess with them when they were getting "chocolate'd" on in the train car.

When Bob throws a dinner party to bond with his new friend, Gayle uses the opportunity to introduce the family to her new love interest. Little does she know, Louise has a long-standing feud with Gayle’s boyfriend and her niece will stop at nothing to break them apart. Calamity ensues as Bob attempts to impress his new buddy and the kids take action

The promo revealed that it's Mr. Frond. And here I thought Mr. Dinkler was going to return. I rewatched Topsy last week and it would be great if he came back to tangle with Louise (especially if that meant Billy Eichner's character came back, too).

Neighbor: Bidets and Confused: Bidets for Beginners

Exterminator: A Squeak Before Dying

Burger of The Day: Cole-Came, Cole-slaw, Cole-Conquered Burger

This was a first: Bob gets a friend that isn't Mort or Teddy. And Tina finally has a boy that's after her that she's not interested in (too young, but still).

"I've never been on a second date before that the other person knew about." Yep, not shocked by that. I have a feeling this episode aired out of order. Doesn't the family already know that Gayle was dating Mr. Frond?

"Who was a prostitute in Pretty Woman?"

"They all were, honey!"

• Love 2

Tina: Even though Mr Frond gives us detention all the time, and is awful, that doesn't mean he won't make a great guidance counselor slash uncle someday.

Louise slapping Tina:  TINA! Don't you speak those words! Uncle Frond? Sick! Our lives would be so intertwined! And the dolls! God! The dolls...

Linda: (Gail) needs this! She is one cat-death away from moving in with us!

Gail: No, I love rules! I make them up for myself all the time! Like every time I eat a ham sandwich, I send $100 to a pig. Or, if I stay up all night- I won't die.

Amor, por favor:

Bueno dias, como estas     [ good morning, how are you?]

Love is like a beautiful flower

Me llamo Tina             [my name is Tina]

It can also be dangerous, like a tiger, with a gun

El perro es grande       [the dog is big]

And look at Steve- divorced, pain, nothingness  (sorry Steve)

Donde esta el baño?         [where is the bathroom?]

Stay single forever, protect your heart, avoid guidance counselors. The end.

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 6

The best part of this was Tina's stone cold face and Louise reacting to her to do the right thing. I tend to think Louise needs a figurative smack from her parents, but I'm glad she came around on her own to do the right thing. Also, a boy into Tina, but her not into? Brilliant!

• Love 3

I was surprised that there was no voice credit listed for Xander.

Love the lines already quoted here. Gene's "They all were, honey!" was great.

Gene: So Mr Frond, is it true that you've got a monkey butt?

(looking at the doll)

Gene: What IS it?
Tina: I think it's supposed to be Aunt Gail.
Gene: Then who's that lady in the living room?

Loved the Spanish song with Louise's translations. Really loved at the end of it when the kids sped it up and Louise was clapping like a maniac.

The animation is so good. Steve fidgeting while Bob was looking for the key was great.

Poor Bob. All he wanted was a friend outside of work. 

When we were in HS in spanish class, we'd say the most random things. As long as we talked in spanish, the teacher was ok with it. 

When we were in HS in spanish class, we'd say the most random things. As long as we talked in spanish, the teacher was ok with it.

If someone asks me if I speak Spanish, I will shrug and say 'Como se dice....'  (that was the title of the Spanish textbook I used in college.  That's about all I remember except for maybe the phrases that Tina said.)

I hope that Gail ends up marrying Mr. Frond (what is his first name?  Have we heard it?).  I would love to see what kind of wedding she would want and then how Frond would be included in holidays gatherings.  That would drive Louise crazy.

H. Jon Benjamin was the voice of Xander. It took me awhile, but I started to hear it toward the end, and the AV Club confirmed it, saying that it was similar to a character Benjamin did on Home Movies (which I never got to see). 

I love the speech impediment he gives Jimmy Jr; now I can add nasal impediment(?) to his list of voice talents.

• Love 2

It turns out his episode was aired out of order, and should have aired prior to the Thanksgiving episode, which is where we the audience learned Gayle was dating Frond. Although, I did notice another continuity error, one that could not be explained away so easily. When Mister Frond shows up for dinner, he is shocked to discover that Gayle's family is the Belcher's. I could certainly see Gayle not telling Frond exactly who her family is, but Frond should not have been surprised. Just who did he think was going to be living above Bob's Burgers? He has visited both the restaurant and the Belcher residence before.

And am I wrong, but was this the first time Bob cooked anything besides burgers and Thanksgiving turkeys? I know he cooked spaghetti and meatballs way back in season one, but he did that unwillingly and also Bob doesn't consider making pasta to be "cooking". But seriously, has he ever done anything but burgers, turkey and now rib roast?

I loved hearing Jason's voice from Home Movies as the boy crushing on Tina. Are y'all sure that was H. Jon Benjamin? I thought he only did Coach McGuirk's voice on HM.

I like that Tina has a "look" which gets Louise to cave. But Linda's crazy eyes were even better.

I wish they hadn't aired the episodes out of order.