Type keyword(s) to search

Bob's Burgers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Neighbor: I've Got Crabs: Hermit Crab Emporium

Exterminator: My Fair Spray-dy

Burger(s) of The Day: Blue is the Warmest Cheese Burger, Three Beets to the Wind Burger, The Grand Brie Burger

It was nice to see the biker gang again. And speaking of characters we haven't seen in a while, Hugo came back. I'm not a big fan of him.

I like how Louise brought up Tina's parking lot incident for why she shouldn't be driving the go kart. That was a serious low blow. But seeing Tina help Louise win and then seeing them both sleep with the trophy was such a great moment. And they were both holding the trophy in the credits! That was sweet. I also love how Bob and Linda were so supportive and actually didn't expect either of them to win. "Dibs on not handling it!"

• Love 1

In this episode, Bob gets an arcade game and Pesto sets a high score with the winners name as BOB SUX on the leaderboard. Bob plays obsessively in order to replace the high score with one of his own and thus remove the BOB SUX.
He plays for so long that his hands have stiffened to the shape of the controls.

This exact thing happened to Chandler Bing in Friends: S08E12

I know there are common themes in shows but does anyone know if this is one of them?

They seem to be letting Louise grow a bit more. I was glad she admitted that Tina was the better driver, and it was true that Louise actually worked harder to get into the final race. 

This was a solid episode. I always prefer the kids' adventures, but I also like Bob and the restaurant doing well. There was a restaurant when I lived in MA where you could bring your own booze as long as it was a closed container. There was a line to get in! At night, there'd be a beat cop outside talking to us drunks making sure no one drank outside. Never, ever saw a problem. Anyway, it would be cool if they did that so people could get some of Teddy's brew. I hope the beer is a recurring thing.

I like that Bob and Linda were psyched that the kids were doing something new too. It's funny because the show is kind of a throwback. The kids on the show go out after school on their own, everyone knows each other and just does stuff.

• Love 3

I also loved that Tina kind of gave it back to Louise too.  I enjoy Louise's antics but seeing the give and take between the two of them, plus the nice sisterly moment at the end was great.  Plus them both sleeping in Louise's room at the end holding the trophy was great too.  Another good moment was Gus's speech to Gene about how he thought Gene was just mocking him at first but was plesently surprised when Gene actually was interested in flag waving.  

• Love 3

I liked that Hugo never noticed all the beers in the restaurant.

I enjoyed Tina and Louise's jabs at each other, esp Tina because she was topping Louise each time. 

Who was the snobby kid? Have we seen him before? What a jerk. I was worried he would win.

Who was the snobby kid? Have we seen him before? What a jerk. I was worried he would win.

Bryce was in Full Bars, the head jackass teenager that pee-ballooned kids during Hell Hunt.

I actually felt Tina was being kind of mean in this episode. Maybe I'm just seeing it from the younger sister's perspective, but I thought she was being condescending and hurtful to Louise, while Louise was more on the defensive. hat not-as-pretty competitive side of her has been showing more this season, like during the battle for best gift for Bob. I kind of like it -- I know Tina is the golden child of television right now but I'm feeling a little overdosed on her being awesome.

I hear ya, but at the same time I think Louise is usually the alpha there. So when Tina was saying she was better, it didn't come across as condescending to me. It struck me as more statement of fact. Plus Tina almost never "wins" with Louise (even if Tina is kind of winning the internet lately, but that's not the characters' reality; it's ours) and given that Louise herself is rarely known for tact, I sort of expect her to be able to take it given how much she usually gives? The little-sister angle/vibe of it did make the interaction more real to me (and I mean that in a good way). There was a bit of subtlety there, I thought, or maybe subtlety isn't the right word. Complexity, I guess. It wasn't so straightforward and I liked that.

Edited by theatremouse

Tina wanted to drive and played fair when Louise won Gene's mole. (Wow, what a sentence.) Louise sucked it up on the track and Tina said so, and wanted to drive to see if she could do better. They bother threw some barbs back and forth, but I don't think Tina was being overly mean. She did go out in the bumper car and showed she could drive. 

Eh...Tina wasn't being a particularly gracious loser even when she was playing fair. That squirting Louise in the face was clearly petty, and her digs about Louise's first time driving were kind of nasty. She could have been nicer about it and Louise might even have voluntarily given up the driver's position after another race or so. She loves being the Alpha, but she also loves winning and she might have been happy as Tina's manager.

I know Tina is the golden child of television right now but I'm feeling a little overdosed on her being awesome.

Is she really supposed to be awesome, or is that just the Internet talking? Personally, I find her creepy and disturbing, and that's exactly how people would describe it if all the sexual comments coming out of her mouth were coming out of a boy's. That being said, I did like that she was getting the better of Louise when they were talking about driving, but that's because Tina is a loser so much of the time. 

Burger(s) of The Day: A Good Manchego Is Hard To Find Burger, The Garden of Edam(Edum) Burger, Shoe String Around The Rosey Burger

Neighbor: Takes All Rinds Composting Center

Exterminator: Don't Be Buggin'

I'm guessing it's Logan Barry Bush.

Collect your prize! God, him & his mother were awful people, which was why it was so satisfying to see Louise fire Logan.

Bob talking to, and talking for, plants was great. The song was great.

As horrible as it was, the plants falling off the windowsill at the end was such a great ending.

• Love 2

I have a terrible memory, but I don't think we've seen a flash forward.

Speaking of bad memory, what ep did Logan and his mom Cynthia appear in before?

I really enjoyed this ep. Bob in his garden was great. Loved the song. Crappy/Happy Place? His dancing was so cute. I also loved the little plants dancing long with him.

So many great exchanges betw Louise and Logan, like...

Louise: You're paying this butt brain?

Logan: My butt DOES have brains, and they are called turds, and they're smarter than you.

I also loved when he first came into the restaurant, and they had a "Uh UH!" fight. The raspberries were funny too.

The continuation of Linda going "Grrrrr" in the restaurant to her going "Grrrrr" in bed cracked me up.

I didn't like this as much because it's like Bob can't be allowed anything for himself. He shouldn't have had to jump through hoops to be part of a community garden. And Louise is a *child*. She doesn't like Logan. Too fucking bad. Stay away from him and pout all you want. Having fresh produce would be good for the business. 

Not that I don't think anyone was acting OOC, but it would have been better if Bob was actually allowed to do some parenting rather than Louise just ignoring him. I'm glad she didn't actually cut the vegetables. 

I don't like when Bob is just made out to be a sad sack and a doormat. Logan's mother just hauled off and slapped him. Linda should have just laid her out at that point. 

• Love 8

I have a terrible memory, but I don't think we've seen a flash forward.

Speaking of bad memory, what ep did Logan and his mom Cynthia appear in before?

No flash forward yet.

Logan and his mom were first seen in "Ear-sy Rider" when Logan stole Louise's bunny ears and the motorcycle gang came to town. They were seen again in "Mother Daughter Laser Razor" where they take par in a mother-daughter bonding seminar with Louise and Linda (Bob take Tina and Gene to get their legs waxed).

• Love 1

This is a super minor thing, but when they did a close-up on Bob's midsection during the (amazingly fantastic) musical number, did it look to anyone else like his pants had a button on the waist? Doesn't Bob typically wear sweatpants? Was he getting dressed up to garden?

I think he only wears sweatpants when he's hanging around the house, like in the most recent Thanksgiving episode where he was talking to the turkey baster.

Anyway, I think this is my favorite episode so far. The voice acting is just as superb as it gets, everyone was at the top of their game. Liked that Louise did not clip the beans, and loved the gag where the garden fell out of the window.

*shiver* I get the heebie-jeebies thinking of that little psycho.

I gotta wonder about that episode description though -- Jimmy Jr is in the same grade as Tina, and Millie it seems is in Louise's grade. So it can't be class president they're vying for, but student body president, maybe? I mean, there's an outside chance that Millie is brilliant as well as psychotic and skipped a few grades, but I don't think one class president can hurt the whole school, could they? (I'm honestly asking; I was never in a school with a student government. I don't even know if there are age limitations or anything for candidates. )

I didn't like this as much because it's like Bob can't be allowed anything for himself. He shouldn't have had to jump through hoops to be part of a community garden.

I wouldn't blame that so much on Louise as Cynthia. I've thought something similar about the whole situation with Hugo -- why the hell didn't Bob or better yet Linda contact his boss after his first appearance and say he was abusing his power on a woman he used to date and her husband. That's super skeevy and the kind of thing most rational bosses would discourage. (Well, actually Linda might even be in her rights to threaten a restraining order on him.) I mean, we now know that Hugo is a lesser evil (Tommy Geronda, anyone?), but they still should have filed a complaint with his higher-ups.

It's the same with the Community Garden. It belongs to the community, meaning that while Cynthia may be nominally in charge, she answers to the city. Again, a case of abusing power. If Bob was that desperate to be excepted and knew that Cynthia was barring him for her own petty reasons, he should have gone over her head. Instead he made a deal to torture not only Louise but Linda as well. Notice that he was barely in the restaurant himself when Logan was? If he wanted to make a devil's bargain he should have put his own soul on the line.

But I'll admit that Louise is my favorite Belcher, and I love episodes that focus on her and Bob's relationship. I think it probably hurts her worst to be let down by him because he's the parent she connects with and feels understands her. I also realized in this episode that Louise has a bit of Bob's talking to inanimate objects habit. Last time I remember her carrying on a conversation with the chocolate on the train. I love that she spared the plants because it wasn't their fault.

• Love 1

Linda could have kept the kids in line too though at the restaurant. I just didn't like Louise being so disrespectful to her parents. It would have been funnier if she agreed with Bob to be nice and then came up with some clever pranks to get at Logan. 

• Love 1

What I find confusing, is that from the front Bob's bldg. seems to have a flat roof.....*perfect* for a rooftop garden! *WHY* would he need to bother with a P-Patch if he can start a garden on the roof!?  Or need a flimsy window garden?

The back views of the bldg. seem to indicate it has an A shaped roof, so I'm confused. This has been bothering me all day - I *really* need to find a job. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Sweet Macon Crank
  • Love 3

I would counter that the appeal of the show is that it is fairly real. The kids are actual characters. There's a wide array of recurring characters that are unique and like people I know.

I'd go so far as to say it's a better depiction of families and neighbors and classmates than live action family sitcoms, where the characters are largely stereotypes.

That's why I watch the show, and I don't think my interpretation should be marginalized by issuing an arbitrary fiat on how the show should be viewed.

• Love 3

Generally, I'm not a fan of Louise when she goes full psycho, and that's what I felt she was in this episode. Her feud with Logan is one thing, but to take the garden shears to destroy her father's garden is wrong. That's not just misbehaving. She went full psycho in the episode when Teddy stayed in her room.

• Love 2

Perhaps I'm getting old and cranky, but I didn't enjoy this episode at all. Louise behaved like a spoiled brat and instead of being punished she is presented as being in the right and Bob has to apologize to her? Huh? Louise going to destroy something that Bob loved really pissed me off. So Bob called the plants his babies. So what? Because he is a parent he can't have anything else that he enjoys now? His sole identity is to be the father to Louise and to cater to her ever-changing whims? I couldn't believe that Bob was apologetic and let Louise fire Logan after she threatened to destroy the plants. Louise shouldn't have gotten a reward, she should have gotten a lecture on other people's property and working with people you don't get along with. Now to be fair, I don't know why Louise and Logan are enemies. Perhaps he did something awful to her that was irredeemable? Okay, then I would understand her behavior a bit. But I assume their dislike towards each other is just petty crap so Louise should have sucked it up for the greater good- the financial stability of the family. Now I understand that Louise wouldn't think like that because she's a child, but Bob should have taken this as a "teachable moment".

I don't even want to mention Linda's behavior. Linda was just a  bigger version of Louise. I hated when she broke the laptop. Yes, her enemy (can't remember the name) was a jerk, but she wasn't Hitler. I just can't abide by property damage over a snotty comment. Women spew these kind of insults to each other all time, I would think that by now Linda could have handled it better and not set this kind of example (it's okay to damage someone's property if you don't like their behavior) for her children.

Bob working in the garden instead of being in the restaurant during these fights didn't bother me. He was working on a garden to provide vegetables for the restaurant that provides a life for his family. He didn't just stick Linda and Louise with their enemies while he went to get drunk at a strip club! I'm sure that he had fun while doing it, but it was a small price to pay on the part of Louise and Linda to make a family member happy. Most of us work with people we can't stand in our jobs every day. If I had to work with a co-worker that I disliked so that my mother or father could have one thing for themselves that they enjoyed (and that benefited the whole family) I would be glad to.

This is one of my favorite shows and I normally love these characters, so I was disappointed by seeing them written in such an unflattering way. Normally these characters have their flaws, yet they also have love for each other that shines through. I understand that this is a cartoon and things are exaggerated for comedic effect, but this is one time where the behavior of everybody irked me so much that it pulled me out of the episode and ruined my enjoyment.

BTW, my partner completely disagreed with me and didn't see anything wrong with the episode so mileage obviously varies!

• Love 4

I liked that Hugo never noticed all the beers in the restaurant.

I think he noticed. The problem is, Bob does sell beer. They were reusing the bottles of the beer he sells to bottle Teddy's beer. Hugo had to bust them on either catching them bottling or with Teddy's fermenter.

• Love 1

Neighbor: I've Got Crabs Hermit Crab Emporium,

Exterminator: My Fair Spray-Dy

Burger of The Day: Let It Snow Peas Burger

Tina's dream about her future grandkids was hysterical. Yeah, Tina faking love and teaching Darryl to be a boyfriend was great. I...can relate to their relationship. The double nerd thing. And I can't believe Darryl's plan worked! But Tina just HAD to fall in love with him.

Linda trying to seduce Bob with the strawberry was freaking funny. Starting to gag was just a great topping. I do like how into Romance Week Bob and Linda were, even through all the awkwardness. Bob going "Magic Mike" with nothing but his robe and underwear? Gold.

I've seen what happens when two people try to bowl down the same lane at the same time. It...pretty much went how Gene & Louise did it.

"Like Mario and Luigi, they're so in love!"

Aziz Ansari is amazing. I think I've said that before.

• Like 1

I still can't get over how all the kids just went out bowling. Tina was right in the end; there are no leagues. I actually think Jimmy Jr likes her, but he's kind of just dumb. 

Zeke cracks me up. He's totally that guy in college you run into at like every party. Always just having fun wherever he his. 

I liked the valentine's day idea. Bob was game for it too. It's funny because this show overall shows how marriage does take work. Most sitcoms treat marriage as one note. Bob and Linda at least try to have fun and genuinely enjoy each other.

I also liked how the restaurant was crowded too for 'the lunch rush.' I don't know where those people are coming from, but that's good. 

• Love 1