Type keyword(s) to search

S44.E20: Emma Thompson / Jonas Brothers

• Start Topic

Kenneth Branagh looks pretty fine himself these days, but yeah, I wish they had stayed together. 

I howled with laughter at the Chopped parody and the kitten on a bun. Whoever did this one and House Hunters is really tapping into something we all feel. 

• Love 4

Goobie:

This was one of the weirdest things I’ve seen in my whole life. It was two couples (heidi + mikey and I think kenan + someone) at a table with their boss, Emma. Beck comes in shirtless and with a long brown wig as Emma’s “lover” named Goobie

Haven't we seen Goobie before? Both the name and premise sound very familiar.

Emma was one of the best hosts of the season. She had such a quiet confidence about her. Like "c'mon kids, throw anything you got at me!"  

• Love 5
13 hours ago, vb68 said:

(Nick Jonas)'s also been on here as a solo act before, too. He likes showing off his muscles. I think he was in the first Chad sketch if I'm not mistaken. 

I laughed when Pete's mom wished Colin happy Mother's Day, and Colin had no idea what to say.  Yeah kinda sweetly awkward.

He shows up at the end of the first Chad sketch as the neighbor and Julia Louis-Dreyfus says "I'm gonna f**k that kid" and it's kind of all I can think when I see him now.

Pete's mom was so adorable.

• Love 8

Oh gosh I don't watch Chopped, but that was hilarious! The kitten burger?! Oy to the vey. Aidy's Alex was perfect as someone above said. Great show. Nice job, Emma.

• Love 2

Great show. Emma T is fantastic at everything she does.

I loved Cecily's Susan Collins. It's so on point. "I'd have to write a strongly worded email and send it straight to my draft folder." Beck's Mitch McConnell is also good. Loved him eating the lettuce leaf. However, I still don't like Kate's Lindsay Graham. 

The monologue was wonderful. That whole bit with Tina and Amy was funny and sweet.

The sketch Markle relative wanting to be at the christening of the new baby was funny. I don't see anything racist about it. Some of Megan's relatives are black, but the sketch would have worked just as well if it was a white American who wanted to be at the christening. Anyway, Emma was great, and so was Leslie.

Reese De'What is so funny. Loved the end when he's talking to someone off-camera. As for the movie bit, it was ok. I think they could have come up with a better concept where Kate and Emma do old timey acting. I did like when Emma's character came back for her purse, but since she didn't bring one she says she'll just take the lamp.

13 hours ago, Maverick said:

The bit about racing to the ice cream machine was on point and hilarious.  Every chef wants to make ice cream and with one machine I wouldn't be surprised if it comes to blows, if not shots, one day. 

That truly was awesome. I couldn't stop laughing. So many great gags in this Chopped sketch. The loose sugar, the overdressed salad, Heidi pretending to wash her hands. Everything was perfect.

Judge Court was great. Kate, Emma, and Aidy worked so well together and were just really funny.

WU was good, but I guess I'm over Heidi's teen movie reviewer. I enjoy her character work, but this went on too long for me.

Beauty and the Beast was ok. My favorite part was Beck singing "The dong goes in the spout..."

The sketch with the continuity errors was also ok, though I kind of liked the silliness. My favorite one was the wavy guy in the field with the dinosaurs.

The cut sketches sound pretty good. The Twinnings Extreme filmed bit was funny. Mrs Potato Head sounds good, too.

It was nice seeing Jon Hamm at the end. I had been thinking about Mad Men and how much I miss it.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Ottis said:

Lets see if anyone has a knee jerk reaction because the mythical white etiquette instructor hit the mythical black christening guest. 

I'll be honest...it did make me feel some kind of way. I had to really examine my feelings, and think about would I have felt the same if it had been a similar stereotypical white character being slapped.

There was just too much history bound up in it for me to find it funny. I was waiting for Leslie's character to fight back, but she didn't. She cowered and took the abuse, and that made me feel very uncomfortable. 

I loved, overall, how game Emma was for everything. She truly is hilarious, a true master actor. 

• Love 7

Were the Jonas Bros being auto-tuned in their first song ?  Because it certainly sounded like it.

The Chopped skit wasn't actually that funny, but did poke fun at the ridiculousness of cooking shows.  The kitten burger.

The PBS skit went on way toooooo long.

The Royal Etiquette skit was damn funny.

Disney Channel and Growlr present the live action 'Beauty and the Beast' -- that's one combo I didn't think I would ever see.

• Love 2

I really thought the twist to that skit with Emma and Leslie was that it was going to be a Get Out parody with the singing and stirring the tea. But I guess that movie is old by now, but not for me I just finally got to see it.

The beautiful Miss Emma can really do anything. I thought it was a fantastic episode 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Judge Court was great. Kate, Emma, and Aidy worked so well together and were just really funny.

These judges need to get together with the crew from Maine Justice. That would be a hoot! They could all go out to dinner, dog included. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

However, I still don't like Kate's Lindsay Graham. 

My mom commented that she's too pretty to be convincing as Lindsey Graham. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

The Chopped skit wasn't actually that funny, but did poke fun at the ridiculousness of cooking shows.  The kitten burger.

I thought it was a dead-on, hilarious parody of Chopped, its judges, and its pretensions at pretentiousness.  Aidy's version of Alex Guarnaschelli was particularly accurate.

• Love 3

I think the Royal Etiquette sketch would have been problematic if the joke was just that Leslie couldn't learn to "properly" stir tea. But Emma's instruction was so outrageous that no one could learn anything from her, no matter who the student was. I found it more a sendup of traditional British "stick your pinky in the air while you drink your tea" manners.

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, ombelico said:

I think the Royal Etiquette sketch would have been problematic if the joke was just that Leslie couldn't learn to "properly" stir tea. But Emma's instruction was so outrageous that no one could learn anything from her, no matter who the student was. I found it more a sendup of traditional British "stick your pinky in the air while you drink your tea" manners.

I think you are right, and they both played it so well. Emma was like Mary Poppins on steroids. 

59 minutes ago, ombelico said:

I think you are right, and they both played it so well. Emma was like Mary Poppins on steroids. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, peeayebee said:

However, I still don't like Kate's Lindsay Graham

Agreed. I think her voice is too low. Lindsay has a screeching high voice and is super duper Southern. I think Mikey could play him well.

It was odd there were 2 TCM type show skits. Was Kyle portraying a real person in the continuity sketch? I thought his acting choices were weird there.

I liked this show. It was nice seeing Reese D'What again. I love his argument with the offstage person. I assume Kenan is leaving with his new show (haven't checked the outside projects thread) so maybe he is trotting out his characters one last time. I hope we get a final "What's Up with that" sketch. I know it was repetitive but would like to see it one last time.

• Love 2
On 5/12/2019 at 12:57 AM, Lantern7 said:

"What would you say it he slapped you in the face?" "Harder, Daddy." I'm not sure what's funnier: Kate's delivery, or that you can see Lindsey Graham saying that without irony.

Indeed, but I don't think I want to hear Lindsey saying it.  Kate does just fine.

On 5/12/2019 at 2:59 PM, peeayebee said:

Great show. Emma T is fantastic at everything she does.

Yes.   Yes, she is.   I recently watched Saving Mr. Banks on Netflix, and I just lurve her.

• Love 6

Emma Thompson is the best forever and ever amen. I love how she absolutely threw herself into this episode and was game for anything. Did I google if a British woman could adopt a fully grown American adult after this episode? It's not important.

She definitely didn't need the assist during the monologue, but I'll never say no to an appearance from Tina and Amy.

Last year's Amy Schumer Mother's Day sketch made me tear up. I feel like this year's would have too if it didn't feel like such a retread. I did love the bit where Emma's character was taking out the trash with her hoo-ha out and the back-and-forth she had with the neighbor, though.

The best part of the Cinema Classics sketch, for me, was when the movie was coming to an end and Emma and Kate started imitating the MGM lion.

Hey, Show? A 17-year-old in 2019 is Gen Z. "Millennial" is not a catchall term for young people who frighten and confuse you.

On 5/12/2019 at 1:03 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Did Jon Hamm JUST show up for the end?

I just love that he can show up for the end of an episode as the capper to a throwaway Weekend Update joke but apparently can't actually host an episode.

Honestly? I'm not mad. I'm just disappointed.

On 5/12/2019 at 1:46 AM, Peace 47 said:

I don’t know why,  but that Mac startup sound as Shakespeare fired up his laptop in that last sketch really cracked me up.  That was an unexpectedly entertaining 12:55 sketch.

I would have laughed at that more if that hadn't so obviously used a not-Mac for the bit. It's the little things sometimes, ya know?

• Love 6
On 5/12/2019 at 1:56 PM, cpcathy said:

I howled with laughter at the Chopped parody and the kitten on a bun. Whoever did this one and House Hunters is really tapping into something we all feel. 

Both of these were written by Kent Sublette who's one of the co-head writers for the show right now along with Jost & Che.

• Love 2