Type keyword(s) to search

S44.E20: Emma Thompson / Jonas Brothers

• Start Topic

I wonder if Sophie Turner will show up for a Game of Thrones sketch (she seems the more likely Jonas brothers wife than Priyanka). I'm sure the Jonas Brothers themselves will end up in at least one sketch; the last time they were in two - the Fourth Jonas and a Digital Short - and I'm sure they'll be able to hold their own with Emma. Really looking forward to this one.

• Love 4
On 5/10/2019 at 11:05 AM, Princess Sparkle said:

I wonder if Sophie Turner will show up for a Game of Thrones sketch (she seems the more likely Jonas brothers wife than Priyanka). I'm sure the Jonas Brothers themselves will end up in at least one sketch; the last time they were in two - the Fourth Jonas and a Digital Short - and I'm sure they'll be able to hold their own with Emma. Really looking forward to this one.

Sophie was actually the second guest on Fallon's show last night after Thompson. So she's definitely there in the building if she wanted to make an appearance on the show.

• Love 3

Cold Open: We open with Meet The Press. Gotta appreciate the cast making Mitch, Susan Collins, and Lindsey Graham look as unflattering as possible. They're all horrible people. I got really nothing else to say about them. Beck, Cecily, and Kate were just the best here, and Beck eating lettuce like a turtle was by far the best part of this.

Monologue: Emma Thompson is so great. She's finally working with her longtime husband, Kenan Thompson. It was great to see Amy and Tina back for the Mother's Day episode again.

Etiquette Coach: So it's My Fair Lady with Leslie Jones. It's rare to see a Leslie character on the defensive, and I just laughed so hard at everything she reacted to. Emma was just so game for this, it's really what made this work. 

The Perfect Mother: The yearly "motherthood sucks" sketch manages to work yet again. Emma was great in this one, too. I think SNL borrowed some of that de-aging technology for Emma, it was unreal seeing her look so young.

Always Be Sisters: Reese De'WHAT is back! (I love how terrible his life keeps getting) This felt like an improv game, trying to get the last word in a scene. This was excellent.

Chopped: They just nailed how ridiculous this show is. Of course Leslie was chopped because of that adorable kitten burger.

Judge Court: Three judges who were last in law school, who are all best friends and have dinner every night. This was silly, and the chemistry between Kate, Emma, and Aidy were great. I liked the Jonas Brothers cameo. They should've done more, or should at least be in another sketch. They have the chops for this. I want whoever came up with the name Marlene Wet to get a big raise.

I didn't know the Jonas Brothers still made music. They were fine.

WU: Mitch McConnell always does look like he's watching a man slowly drown. And who needs Alec Baldwin when the real Trump remains a walking joke? I liked the teen movie critic coming back, and having a crush on Pikachu. "Pikachu can get it" is a sentence I never thought I would hear, especially on SNL, but here we are. But I love it.

"This Sunday is Mother's Day, a holiday Georgia is trying to make mandatory." I mean, DAMN.

It was sweet seeing Pete and his mom again.

Beauty & The Beast: Enchanted gym equipment is the last thing I expected from a Beauty & The Beast sketch. This live-action Mrs. Potts was way less creepy than the real one. Her enchanted love child with Beast on the other hand...

Tracy: I just couldn't shake that a 17 year old in 2019 would NOT be a millennial. This was fun, but then it got weird and didn't know how to end.

I liked the bit of the Doctor introducing herself. She's not a doctor, but she plays keyboards in a funk band. That was right up there with Dr. Poop. He can't help, but he CAN do The Robot.

Wait A Second, That Shouldn't Be There: How do you one-up the Starbucks cup in GOT? White Castle and a Big Gulp in Roots. Or a laptop, Thug Life tattoo and NSYNC in Shakespeare in Love. The image of Emma Thompson in Downton Abbey with Beats and a beer hat and giving zero fucks was such a great image. This sketch was so good.

There were a few weak sketches (especially after Update) but I thought that this was such a great episode! Emma Thompson really hit it out of the park, and I hope she comes back. Next week is the season finale with Paul Rudd.

• Love 21
1 minute ago, saoirse said:

OMG JON HAMM WAS STANDING NEXT TO PETE DAVIDSON'S MOM AT THE END IMMA GONNA DIE NOW.

Seriously, how can I make this shit happen in my life?

Nice callback to WU.

I took a screenshot in case anyone didn’t notice it....

92FC8496-E1A1-4A24-A63B-037ABE2D08DB.jpeg

• Love 12
(edited)

I also thought this one was a lot of fun.

Emma was fantastic. It's really interesting. She did bring class and stature to the proceedings, but was definitely not above any of it. I kept howling everytime she'd slap Leslie in the royal sketch. She was everything a host should be.  She propped up the weaker sketches too.

I enjoyed the cold open. More of Cecily's Susan Collins please. She has the voice and mannerisms down cold.

Update was on fire again even if it looked like they started joking before they went on camera. 

I wasn't really paying attention, but in the second song it looked like Nick Jonas likes to pose more than sing. And yes, I actually do know which one is Nick. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 17
(edited)

I had to bring some stuff in from outside so missed the last half...so mostly just focusing on the first half for now.

I wish they'd let Emma do the monologue on her own, as she was clearly so capable, but Tina and Amy were fine. I'm never going to say no to seeing Amy back on SNL. And you have to respect that they pretty much just came in long enough to plug their movie and watch the show.

On the one hand, I thought the etiquette sketch with Emma and Leslie was genuinely good and funny - it reminded me of some of the roughhousing Emma did in her sketch comedy before she became more known for her film work. This is also the type of broad physical comedy that Leslie can do. Yet I was also absolutely shocked that this got on the air in 2019. Everything about it felt like something from '70s SNL, or at the latest, early '90s. I was already seeing lots of talk about how racist the sketch was, and I imagine that is just starting.

I know the Chopped was just a retread of the House Hunters, but I still enjoyed it. This is a great cast for mad libs type insanity and the film pieces are perfect for it. Leslie again was a lot of fun - I laughed when she started shooting at Melissa. And Melissa going out of her way to not wash her hands. And Alex Moffat holding that baby goat. For me Alex is probably the cutest guy in the cast, so I won't say no to those cute moments. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, vb68 said:

wasn't really paying attention, but in the second song it looked like Nick Jonas likes to pose more than sing. And yes, I actually do know which one is Nick.

He's the one who was in How To Succeed on Broadway.  That's the only reason I knew... 

• Love 3

Good show. I usually fast forward through any WU characters, but I do like Heidi’s teenage girl appearances. I want middle Jonas Brother’s jacket. 

That Beauty and the Beast sketch was so odd but still made me laugh. Wilbur.

• Love 5

One of the writers has seem some Chopped episodes, all right. I loved the kitten sandwich. 

Back when Beauty and the Beast came out in theaters lo these many years ago, a coworker of mine took her 4-year-old daughter who ended up weeping and having to be dragged out of the theater at the end, crying "Where's BEAST? Isn't she going to marry BEAST?" I feel like tonight's sketch would make her see, once and for all, that the Beast was no prize. 

I laughed out loud at Jon Hamm at the end, next to Pete's mom. It looked like Pete bailed on being onstage at the end, as usual. I like Pete best when he's being himself on Weekend Update. 

• Love 6
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Did Jon Hamm JUST show up for the end?

I just want him to host again so badly.

7 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

He's the one who was in How To Succeed on Broadway.  That's the only reason I knew... 

He's also been on here as a solo act before, too. He likes showing off his muscles. I think he was in the first Chad sketch if I'm not mistaken. 

I laughed when Pete's mom wished Colin happy Mother's Day, and Colin had no idea what to say.  Yeah kinda sweetly awkward.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 6

Another pretty good show.  I thought the first half was stronger than the second half but Emma was a delight in any skit she was in.

I also LOVED Aidy's impression of Alex Guarnaschelli.  It wasn't mimicry but she just captured her essence so well that I think it was nicely done. 

• Love 10

I don’t know why,  but that Mac startup sound as Shakespeare fired up his laptop in that last sketch really cracked me up.  That was an unexpectedly entertaining 12:55 sketch.

• Love 9

For a split second I thought the construction Dept went all out on the Chopped sketch until I realized Food Network let them film on the real set.  The bit about racing to the ice cream machine was on point and hilarious.  Every chef wants to make ice cream and with one machine I wouldn't be surprised if it comes to blows, if not shots, one day. 

Not sure why the B&tB was linked to a gay dating app.  I thought the "joke" was going to be he was hooking up with dudes on the down low at the gym, but...he just had talking barbells and hooked up with a teapot?  M'kay. 

• Love 8
Just now, Maverick said:

Not sure why the B&tB was linked to a gay dating app.  I thought the "joke" was going to be he was hooking up with dudes on the down low at the gym, but...he just had talking barbells and hooked up with a teapot?  M'kay. 

I thought the same thing. I guess the joke is that “bears” would enjoy the story about a hairy beast who works out.

• Love 5
(edited)

"What would you say it he slapped you in the face?" "Harder, Daddy." I'm not sure what's funnier: Kate's delivery, or that you can see Lindsey Graham saying that without irony.

56 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Beauty & The Beast: Enchanted gym equipment is the last thing I expected from a Beauty & The Beast sketch. This live-action Mrs. Potts was way less creepy than the real one. Her enchanted love child with Beast on the other hand...

As far as unveiling revolting concepts about BatB, may I offer this quick sketch from Robot Chicken. Word of warning . . . it's not for the faint at heart. Beast plowing the Teapot to produce a hairy tea cup might be preferable.

52 minutes ago, saoirse said:

OMG JON HAMM WAS STANDING NEXT TO PETE DAVIDSON'S MOM AT THE END IMMA GONNA DIE NOW.

Seriously, how can I make this shit happen in my life?

Hey, maybe he's gonna take her off Pete's hands!!

56 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

"This Sunday is Mother's Day, a holiday Georgia is trying to make mandatory." I mean, DAMN.

The rest of the segment could have just been audience members vigorously high-fiving Colin. Holy crap.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 11

Am I just in a better mood, or has the show gotten better? I enjoyed this one AND last week's!

Perfect Mother was awesome.

Georgia joke was amazing.

Susan Collins can't be mocked enough, but this was a good start. Also, I'm glad they're mixing it up. There are plenty of folks to mock in politics; they don't have to go after the same ones every week.

I want a kitten sandwich.

Emma T was great.

Kate's dress in Cinema Classics was also great. She looked really good in that get up, and I don't usually go for that era.

Jon Hamm showing up for Pete's mom at the good-byes was the best thing ever. He's always really funny but that was just cool.

You don't know me!

• Love 14
54 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

And Alex Moffat holding that baby goat. For me Alex is probably the cutest guy in the cast, so I won't say no to those cute moments. 

Alex can hold baby goats and pretend to eat kitten burgers all day and I'd be there for all of it.

Also I had no clue only 2 of the Jo Bros sing. That other one reminded me of the third Haim sister with the funky facial expressions.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Alex can hold baby goats and pretend to eat kitten burgers all day and I'd be there for all of it.

And now we get sweaty Alex Moffat in shorts. 

He didn't have much to do in this episode but he did it with style...

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Monologue: Emma Thompson is so great. She's finally working with her longtime husband, Kenan Thompson.

When she mentioned her daughter was there, I thought for sure they would cut to Tessa Thompson. Missed opportunity.

Can someone explain the Georgia joke to me?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Who is that in the pink sweatshirt? And what does WU mean?

Pete Davidson's mother. WU is Weekend Update. 

1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Can someone explain the Georgia joke to me?

Georgia recently passed a law that criminalizes abortion past the 6th week. It also has potentially much further-reaching implications but this isn't the right place for that discussion.

2 hours ago, catsitter said:

For anyone who doesn't know what happened at the beginning of WU, it must have cut to them a second too soon and the camera caught Colin reaching down under his desk.

Whatever happened seemed to make Colin and Che loopy and goofy throughout WU. I found them more endearing as a result (it helped that the jokes were actually pretty good).

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

Pete Davidson's mother. WU is Weekend Update. 

Georgia recently passed a law that criminalizes abortion past the 6th week. It also has potentially much further-reaching implications but this isn't the right place for that discussion.

Whatever happened seemed to make Colin and Che loopy and goofy throughout WU. I found them more endearing as a result (it helped that the jokes were actually pretty good).

Thanks again.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, futurechemist said:

I thought the cold open was a nice reversal of the Obama "How's he doing" sketches.

That's what I thought too. I laughed when I saw a tweet saying they'd never do that type of sketch with Obama. They did...twice!

I normally either don't watch the cold opens of recent times, or if I do, I regret it, but I actually did watch this one and enjoyed the sketch more than I thought I would. They had some decent one-liners, and energy (unlike many of these cold opens) but my main draw was Cecily's vicious takedown of Susan Collins. That was a level of political savagery which reminded me of the SNL of 30 years ago. I have said that Cecily reminds me of the old cast, and that was never more true than tonight.

• Love 6

I think when your opening is mostly about things that haven’t happened, you’ve run out of good material. 

Emma and Keenan Thompson. LOL.

Leslie was awesome in the etiquette skit. Fantastic reactions. “I don’t wanna sing.” Lets see if anyone has a knee jerk reaction because the mythical white etiquette instructor hit the mythical black christening guest. 

I know this was the Mother’s Day show, and so we have to make being a mom out to be the hardest job ever. It’s not. I would have traded 10-hour work days and many business trips for staying at home with our kids in a second if it meant we made the same money. When I was able to stay with our kids, it was no problem even with the occasional mess. We had blow out diapers, food thrown on the floor, midnight croup, lack of sleep, etc. Part of being a parent. And I would have preferred that every time to defending a struggling project to company executives who might fire you, cutting off your family’s only income, after having had little sleep. I get that it can be different for single moms. Mad props to single  moms. 

Had to fast forward through the judge skit. All that yelling in NYC accents... oy.

Eric and Detective Pikachu. Heh. 

Georgia sucks. Florida, good grief. I eat ass? That would have gotten you beat up when I was a kid. Times they are a changin.

• Love 5
(edited)

After finishing the rest of the show past WU, I would say on the positive side I didn't feel there was a bad sketch, but there were several I would have enjoyed more with tighter running time and more clarity. The Beauty and the Beast and talk show sketches both felt so unfocused - the latter didn't bother me as much (even though it wasn't funny) but the former was kind of going off the rails by the end. I feel like the current cast doesn't get enough credit in how they salvage bits like that.

I wish Ego had had a better sketch for her showcase as I'd like to see her get another season. 

I rarely watch all of the Jost/Che WU as the jokes are flat and the delivery is often stilted or smug (or both) but this one was pretty funny and clever throughout. 

I so often pan the cold opens, especially the political ones, I guess I should say I actually didn't mind this one - in large part thanks to Cecily Strong's absolutely savage take on Susan Collins. Cecily is so much like the women who made SNL special in the late '80s, like Nora Dunn and Jan Hooks. She commits to this type of role rather than playing her own schtick. 

Happy Mother's Day, everyone.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 4

That judges skit was the best. I watch a number of those judge shows and this skit hit all the ridiculous beats.

I liked Emma Thompson hosting. She was game and did great with accents. I also feel like she was trying way too hard to be UP!

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Pete Martell said:

Cut sketches (the ouija one sounds pretty good...)

Man, I would have loved the Ouiji Board sketch! Emma Thompson looking like a demon but acting like an insecure teenager sounds hilarious. Reminds me of this Will Farrell sketch with Garth Brooks from 20 years ago:

Liked the show overall. Emma Thompson is one of those British actors who are so funny performing and in interviews besides being great at dramatic roles. Also she looks FANTASTIC. You blew it Kenneth Branagh!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5