Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: Jesus Gonna Be Here

A band of rogue H-vamps crashes the vampire-human mixer at Bellefleur's, with shocking results. As Sookie (Anna Paquin) seeks refuge from accusations that she's somehow to blame for the chaos in Bon Temps, the "one vampire for every human" plan moves forward. In the face of a vigilante insurrection led by redneck Vince (Brett Rickaby), Bill (Stephen Moyer) receives aid from an unexpected source.

(edited)

No, not Tara. Damn it. I am taking that hard

How weird is Pam's search for Eric? I could not figure out why they were standing in those big tubs. I didn't realize the other guy was a vamp. Lol.

Damn, what an upsetting start. I hope they rescue Holly, Arlene and the rest.

Edited by cosmic1
  • Love 1

I thought it was boring and it didn't really feel like a premiere of a final season episode.

I feel like more is still to come with Tara.

They are trying hard to make people think Eric is gone even though the actor himself has said in print interviews he will be back.

I didn't feel bad for Sookie at all but then I never do.

I wonder why they recast James? This new actor was also on The Originals playing a werewolf.

(edited)

Yeah, I'm sorry I don't buy Tara is dead.  A character that's been there since day one episode one gets killed off screen like that? I know it's Tara and she's been a buttmonkey in the past, but I just don't see it.  I think if they were going to kill her they would have given us a death scene.   I think Lettie Mae got mixed up as to who actually died and then Tara followed as the others ran. 

Edited by MarquisDeCarabas
  • Love 6

I'm not sure what I expected, but I was mostly...bored, I guess. I wasn't a fan of Jason's new vamp lady last year, and absence has not made the heart grow fonder. I can't believe they would kill Tara off-screen so I'm hoping she'll turn up again at some point.

I think I just don't care about any of these characters anymore. Well, except Jessica. I still like Jessica.

• Love 2
(edited)

I wonder why they recast James?

I could be totally wrong, but from what I've read, I got the impression the actor didn't like the turn his character was taking involving a love triangle.

"Grimes asked to be released from his True Blood contract due to the creative direction of his brooding, soulful, vampire character. But when he started reading the scripts for Season 7, he was disappointed to learn that they were going in a completely different direction with James.”

Edited by TexasChic

I liked this episode, nice setup for the season and a good reminder/catch up on all the characters. Really enjoyed Jessica and Adiland's little girl talk, it was sweet and sad at the same time.

Loved the little bits of Pam but I always love Pam. Sad to see Tara go out like that, was surprised that Pam didn't feel it. Unless it's because she's so weak from not feeding?

I couldn't remember half of the ludicrous plotlines or tertiary characters still hanging around from the last two seasons, so not recognizing Jessica's boyfriend hardly registered.

I did sort of like Sookie's final scene, it was a book Sookie thing to do.

Hopefully the show will follow its pattern from the past where they dispense with a bunch of these plots early in the season and go do something different. (Not necessarily better, of course, but...different would be good. Because, really, fuck Violet. For fuck's sake.)

• Love 1
I could be totally wrong, but from what I've read, I got the impression the actor didn't like the turn his character was taking involving a love triangle.

Given how that triangle seems to be developing...I hope he wasn't bothered by the flirtation with another guy.  

With Tara- we didn't really see it, so I'm assuming she's not dead.  And I'm hoping that's the case because all I keep thinking is that they did a whole riff on Terry's death last year, and I'll accept nothing less for Tara (or anyone major, really- that's the problem with using a character's death as a major plot point the way they did, imho- I expect it now, or a damn good reason.).  So I'm not edge-of-my-seat.  I'm just kinda irritated, wondering how much more irritated I should be.  

• Love 1

Well, that was something.  Even though what happened with the Hep V vamps wasn't Sookie's fault, she's so damn annoying that I can't feel bad for her.

I'm assuming Tara isn't dead, because Pam should have sensed it in Morocco.  And if she is dead, then that was a bullshit way to get rid of her, and even more bullshit with Pam not knowing about it.  I'm already aggravated that Pam and Eric are separated from the rest of the show doing who knows what.

I like Willa so I'm glad she didn't die.  It's nice to see a character not lose themselves in hysteria.  You know who could have died?  Violet.  Why is she still here, and why does Jason even want her?

Also, Kristen looks great when they're not caking her face in makeup.  The past two seasons, she was looking like Baby Jane.  Let's keep this look for a while, writers.

Assuming the wannabe mayor is the season's villain, because I was hoping that one of the Hep V vamps would finish him off.  

• Love 2

This is so fucking disrespectful to the Tara character to have her death occur off screen. And the fact that folks who were closest to Tara (Sookie and Jason) seemed more perturbed by other bullshit (hearing that everyone thought it was her fault and being emasculated), just adds insult to injury.

I like new James. He has good chemistry with Lala if that's the way the show is going.

• Love 4

Can anyone explain to me why all the H-Vamps suddenly scattered from the massacre? It seemed like there was a weird noise, and then they were gone...?

I hate an off-screen death for Tara, so hopefully she's not dead. Sookie is an idiot, but Tara's mom has a lot of nerve blaming her for anything. I feel no sympathy for that character. I really, really HATE all the "whoresluttramp" thoughts of the townspeople. It's the ultimate slut shame, and I'm sick of it. And, really, the WHOLE town blames her for everything? How is any of this even her fault?

I think Kevin's attack/death was the most upsetting thing to happen in a while on this show. Not Kevin!

I hope Pam isn't off searching for Eric by herself all season. Yawn.

I liked the old Jessica's boyfriend actor (James?), but the new guy is a General Hospital alum, so even though I can no longer stand that show, he gets a pass from me. Still, his scene with Lafayette was boring. And I was not feeling any chemistry between them. I liked the character with Jessica! Why mess that up??

If Alcide was naked in my bed, I would not give a crap if the town was burning down around us. I wouldn't mind if he and Sookie were endgame. Forcing her back with Bill seems contrived, and I am one of the few who used to like them together.

• Love 4
(edited)

After giving it a little thought, I remembered the reverend's throwaway line about Lettie Mae hallucinating because of the vamp blood (I don't know why she drank vamp blood, wasn't paying much attention), and combined with other cues I think we'll find out Lettie Mae just hallucinated Tara's death. She clearly believes it happened so I don't think she's outright lying.

But that was cheap.

Edited by kieyra

I don't like the idea of messing with Jessica and James either the show does not need another love triangle. It would be nice if Lala was happy at the end of the series though.

Since Tara took a bullet to the brain for Sookie with then helped turn her into a Vampire I feel Sookie should have had more of a reaction to her death. Sadly it came out like she was more upset about the thoughts she could hear then her being gone.

• Love 1
Since Tara took a bullet to the brain for Sookie with then helped turn her into a Vampire I feel Sookie should have had more of a reaction to her death. Sadly it came out like she was more upset about the thoughts she could hear then her being gone.

I definitely noticed that.  Even when her grandmother Adele died, Sookie was hearing everyone's thoughts and was still openly grieving.  But this time, she just kept going.  At least Jessica shed some tears for Tara.

So, why is nobody checking the vampire nightclub?

That bugged me, but then again how long has it been since Fangtasia was officially operational, at least under Pam? Wasn't there a time jump last season?

• Love 1

That bugged me, but then again how long has it been since Fangtasia was officially operational, at least under Pam? Wasn't there a time jump last season?

There was a six month time jump in last season's finale, but other than that I think the bulk of season took place over a couple of days.

• Love 2

I have to say I hated tonight's episode. I think Alan Ball has overdone it. From the stupid scene with Jason and Violet to Sookie, to the scene in the factory and Fangtasia.  I don't even remember why I liked this show let alone why I am watching it.

I was not expecting it to be good, so there's no disappointment from me. My random guess is that Tara actually died but will come back as a ghost to talk to Lafayette (because, remember when he used to talk to ghosts?).

I kind of liked the scene where Pam and that dude were playing russian roulette -- the buckets were a nice touch; the dialogue was a little heavy-handed, but, for this show, not too bad. I also kind of liked the stuff with Jessica and that Natalie Portman-looking fairy girl.

I did not remember who James was even supposed to be, because that's how little I cared about him last season.

• Love 4
After giving it a little thought, I remembered the reverend's throwaway line about Lettie Mae hallucinating because of the vamp blood (I don't know why she drank vamp blood, wasn't paying much attention), and combined with other cues I think we'll find out Lettie Mae just hallucinated Tara's death. She clearly believes it happened so I don't think she's outright lying.

I think there's more to her comment too, but from what I remember she got the vamp blood after Tara's death, when they were in Merlotte's (or wherever) after the vamps were randomly called off/ran away.  

Didn't Pam feel Tara's death?  The other vamp said something about seeing sadness in her eyes, she talked about how everyone leaves her.  It wasn't a direct reference, but could that have been a reaction?

• Love 3
(edited)

From the shallow end of the pool, I think Anna Paquin's having a child takes its toll. She is clearly sagging, compared to the early seasons when hers are tight and perky.

Am I on reddit right now?

So where do we think Eric is that shocked Pam?

Also, original recipe Pam would have been just fine with feeding on a kid, I think...unless this was a very old callback to her dislike of Arlene's kids. But it didn't read that way.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 11
(edited)

WTF was that? This is the last season. It's time to cut the boring, third tier characters. We need to bring the characters together, not separate them with characters just introduced. Violet, the stupid towns people, James, the fairy girl...My God do we need them? Jason's plot is boring as heck, per usual. I had to fast forward them his scenes. I mean I love Jessica, but give her a story with Sookie and Bill. And the Tara's mom stuff? And new girl vampire?

And the writing is just terrible. Pam can't feel Tara died. IF she did, we would have seen grieving some. Even if we go with "the sad eyes" crap, than we were robbed of Pam finding out about Tara.

The brush off reaction of Tara's death from everyone but Jessica was a joke. Sookie's reaction was terrible. Everything involving Tara was a joke. From interviews it sounds almost certain shes dead(but Rutina is sticking around), but how do you kill a major character off screen, even if she appears in visions or as ghost? That's a direct slap in the face to the fans. What kind of writing is that? This is the final season. They should be respecting the fans, not killing of popular characters off screen.

Edited by XtremeOne1
  • Love 6

Well, that was OK. Not great, but OK. This show is definitely past its prime, but it still has its moments. I didn't hate it as much as everyone here seems to have.

The scene with Jason and Violet was annoying...so she was just waiting for him to man up before giving up the goods? Whatever. I don't think Tara is dead - we didn't actually see it happen, so there's something else going on there. I'm annoyed that they've introduced yet another new character -- the Vince guy -- in the last season. They shouldn't be wasting time on new characters.

I liked all the interaction with Jessica and the fairy girl. As soon as Andy said, "Whatever happens, don't invite her in!" I knew she'd be in that house before the sun came up. 

My husband watched with me and said they should have ended the show a few seasons ago. He thinks it would have been awesome if the final scene of the series would have been Russell Edgington ripping out that guy's spine on the evening news. Ha!!

• Love 1
(edited)

I had fun tonight. I know, I should be hooked on some other HBO hour-long drama, but the show is my proverbial jam. And it'll be over soon, so I can't be mad that most of the population of Bon Temps averages an IQ of 75.

Have we had vampire ghosts before? I don't buy Tara dying of the "Maker Would've Felt It" rule. Then again, it would be a fitting end to a character who's been through the woodchipper. It's like she's a Chris Rock routine brought to life, about how Sookie gets love affairs with vampires between misfortunes, while Tara gets crap happen to her like getting "saved" by Pam.

Another plus: it was very fitting that Jason gets laid a few hours after the massacre. It's Jason, y'know? Of course we wouldn't have seen his abstinence during the timeskip. Instead, he finally gets his with Violet. Outdoors. Against the squad car. What's True Blood without Jason fucking?

Big whatever to Sam possibly getting outed. Dude should've kept a lower profile, and I don't mean having the blinds hide his naughty bits. Also not surprised that Sookie gets blamed for everything, since -- once again -- the average IQ is so damn low. One thing: how come I never thought about how she would sleep? Of course she'd sleep naked.

ETA: Anybody else thankful we won't get to see Lettie Mae feeding her daughter? I remember from the end of last season, "She's making this weird. She's making the 'one human/one vampire' thing so weird."

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3

Seriously, did they just kill Tara off-screen, like that?  Part of me still has doubts because I would think Pam would have felt it (or did she release her?  I can't remember all that has happened), but another part of me thinks that, of course, these guys would do that to Tara.  Considering all the shit that's happen to her, this as her endgame would be nothing new.  I'm not even a fan of hers, but that would blow.  But I guess it's always possible something happen.  The only eye-witness was Lettie Mae, and she's not exactly the brightest bulb in Bon Temps.

So, zombie vampires are causing shit and, of course, everyone is blaming Sookie, because they're assholes.  I'm glad Sookie finally confronted them, but I wish I cared more.  But it's hard, because Anna Paquin's performances are all over the place.  Sometime she's good, sometimes she's bad in a train-wreck way.  Has to be one of the most inconsistent performances out there, IMO.  At least they already got in their nude scene of the season.  I still think she looks good.  Lets see how long her thing last with Alcide, because I have a feeling Sookie/Bill isn't over.

Oh, Lord, that Jason/Violet sex scene.  Of course, that was going to happen.  Nothing can out-crazy a True Blood sex scene.

My favorite parts were easily the stuff involving Andy/Bill and Jessica/Adylin stuff.  Mainly because I think Chris Bauer and Deborah Ann Woll are two of the best actors in this cast, but I also like the idea of this shaky alliance.  I still don't blame Andy for not trusting them, but I do think Jessica truly wants to redeem herself.  Bill though, I don't think gives a shit.

So, Pam is off trying to find Eric?  I wonder how long they'll keep this up.  Can't see it last past episode two, before some rioting happens.

I really hope they do something with Lafayette this season.

A lot of stuff going on, that I can't even recap.  Way too many characters (I think the main cast is at it's biggest yet).  I'm glad it's the final season, but I'm wondering how they are going to pull this off.  Good thing this is a show that I don't take seriously, and just watched it to be amused and entertained.

• Love 1

Listen, show, you do NOT title an episode "Jesus Gonna Be Here" and then not have some twist that brings back Kevin Alejandro. This ain't no religious show, and Jesus is a specific character with a specific meaning on this particular show.  It's like if Buffy had titled a late in the show episode "Return to Tara" and then told us they were just referencing the plantation in Gone With the Wind.  No.  Just no.

BTW, how do you make an episode this boring, boring, boring that presumably kills off one of the show's main characters since season one?  It's almost impressive in an "are they trying to be as awful as possible" way.  Like they really had to work hard to make sure there was no drama, or fun, or nice character moments that should pretty easily come through when a big character dies.  Not only did Tara's supposed death occur off-screen, pretty much anything possibly interesting about any of this season's storylines is apparently also happening off-screen.

• Love 7