Type keyword(s) to search

S38.E13: Idol or Bust

• Start Topic

(edited)
8 hours ago, Figster said:

Is THAT how you think it works??? That Rick is just sooooo much more of a hard worker than everyone else?  OMG, how..... quaint LOL.  Hey I've got a great deal on some beachfront property in Kansas that you might be interested in; PM me for details 😉 

And I think people who believe all the Survivor conspiracy theories about endless producer interference for supposed "favorites" and giving away idols to same also have been sold a lot of swampland in Florida.

Can production slant things and try to apply some pressure on Survivor?  Sure.  But they don't go out and give away idols to their supposed "chosen ones" either.  The show isn't one endless conspiracy drama.

Edited by green
  • Love 10
55 minutes ago, green said:

And I think people who believe all the Survivor conspiracy theories about endless producer interference for supposed "favorites" and giving away idols to same also have been sold a lot of swampland in Florida.

Can production slant things and try to apply some pressure on Survivor?  Sure.  But they don't go out and give away idols to their supposed "chosen ones" either.  The show isn't one endless conspiracy drama.

Agreed. The reality is that most of the people who know that they are in trouble are out looking for the idol. The people who feel more comfortable are less likely to be looking. 

Rick, like Christian and comp last year, knew he needed an idol and so he got up early and went looking. He knows where he found the clue last time and knows that production is not going to hide the idol in the same place, so it narrows down were he needs to look. 

I wish they would change the idol rule that there is one per beach and it is not replayed. That would make players have to work on the social game as well as look for idols. But I don’t by for a second that Production is planting or directing people to the idol. 

• Love 8
18 hours ago, SVNBob said:

Reportedly, there is a lot of footage of Victoria on the cutting room floor because she spent a lot of time singing.  For them to air that footage, CBS would have to pony up for the rights to the songs.  So it got cut as a money-saving measure.

This is the same thing that supposedly happened with Woo in Cagayan.

On 5/11/2019 at 9:04 AM, peachmangosteen said:

They leave all kinds of interesting footage out of the show every season. 

Obviously there is going to be an absolute shit-tonne of footage unused, in any season of Survivor - but my point is that they are hardly likely to be switching out the interesting conversations or tartly astute monologues from the remaining Kama plus Lauren and substituting them with boring footage. And yet boring footage is what we've got. 

Unless Victoria was specifically singing all her interesting gameplay points, or doing her fascinating confessionals to the tune of showtunes, then it's not really a relevant factor.  Survivor editors don't edit someone out of the picture just to be unpleasant, usually; they edit them down to a low-key role in the narrative because they have not said anything interesting, pertinent, funny, or that will further the narrative, or anything that will pay-off in a future episode, etc etc.

Given that they are working with extreme time constraints, I would gather they are using the material given to them by all the remaining contestants and telling the story of that several-day time period in a single episode as amusingly and concisely as they can. There is not much to hold the interest in a bunch of listless and, to my mind, rather vapid young people lolling around at camp repeatedly saying 'we've got to get Rick out', plus Etsy Mom angsting out; while there is a lot of narrative color in both Rick's actions and camera monologues.

I am sure Victoria  is a fascinating young woman, in her own right. I was intrigued by her on day one. But she has not fulfilled my early expectations.

Everyone is tired, hungry, etc. But Rick - who had more physical reserves to pull on, arriving kind of portly, and clearly who has more intellectual reserves - is thriving in this final stage. Whether or not he wins, it makes sense to feature the most interesting remaining person, who is doing the most, and who has the most at stake, as he is the perpetual target of the rest - who are all doing an excellent performance of a group of not particularly bright also-rans.

• Love 8
(edited)
On 5/11/2019 at 8:58 PM, violet and green said:

Unless Victoria was specifically singing all her interesting gameplay points, or doing her fascinating confessionals to the tune of showtunes, then it's not really a relevant factor.

Liked your whole post but now look what you have done to me:

Backstabbing partners

And blindsiding bitches

Making false idols

That fool without hitches 

Searching for real ones more precious than rings

These are a few of my favorites things.

Edited by green
  • LOL 17
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, green said:
23 hours ago, SVNBob said:

Reportedly, there is a lot of footage of Victoria on the cutting room floor because she spent a lot of time singing.  For them to air that footage, CBS would have to pony up for the rights to the songs.  So it got cut as a money-saving measure.

This is the same thing that supposedly happened with Woo in Cagayan.

Then it is her fault since she should know better than singing anything other than old traditional folk songs that aren't copyrighted.

I'm not saying otherwise.  All I was saying is that this is the rumored explanation for why her edit has a Purple hue to it, despite her being on the right side of every vote she's participated in (even counting the one time she voted for the alternate target during a Plan Voodoo.)

EoE seems to be generally agreed to be a terrible concept, I just thought of an idea that could have made it a little more interesting.  I am not sure if it is a good idea or not but thought I would share it.  When you are voted to EoE you then have to nominate someone still in the game.  Your fate is then tied to that person, and if the nominated person is voted to EoE, you are then sent home/put on the jury (depending on what stage of the game they are at).  I just thought it could be interesting to see another level of strategy and who people pick to tie their fate too, it would also probably mean that you wouldn't have so many people on EoE as some would actually get eliminated.

• Love 1

I think singing makes more sense on BB where there's a live feed. But anyway, it doesn't really seem like Victoria was actually singing as a way to prevent something from airing. It just seems like she sang sometimes for fun or whatever. I really doubt it's the reason why she's practically invisible in the edit.

• Love 1
On 5/11/2019 at 8:57 PM, green said:

Liked your whole post but now look what you have done to me:

Backstabbing partners

And blindsiding bitches

Making false idols

That fool without hitches 

Searching for real ones more precious than rings

These are a few of my favorites things.

Genius!  Just sang this to my hubby over morning coffee.  Great start for a Monday!

2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Regarding Victoria's singing, that is a good way to prevent a confidential conversation two other people are having from airing. 

Now I'm imagining Liz Lemon and Tracy Jordan yelling at each other to the tune of "Uptown Girl" by Billy Joel.

• Love 2

I still don’t who’s gonna win but I’m looking forward to seeing how it plays out. That said, it’s still not my favorite season. It might not even be in my Top 15 or 20 but I’ll never turn my back on my favorite show. I can’t believe that Devens is the winner because it would be obvious, right? He’s played hard & gives good confessionals but all that air time seems to obvious......I think. LOL!!!!

• Love 1
On 5/8/2019 at 8:02 PM, PaperTree said:

EoE letters to yourselves?  Reem is moved!  "It's come full circle". Oy.

Of course, some people’s “circle” will be smaller than others; Reem’s “full circle”, for example, will look like a frikkin’ decimal point.

On 5/8/2019 at 9:34 PM, GenerationX said:

Random thoughts on episode 13 "CBS Mailbag"

• Letter #1 comes to us from one of the Losers:  "Dear Loser, you are amazing!" signed "Loser".  Loser: (tearing up) It's so poignant to read the drivel I wrote to myself!

“Dear Loser: Guess we didn’t know the game as well as we thought - else we wouldn’t be reading this stupid damn letter, huh?”

On 5/8/2019 at 11:05 PM, preeya said:

I hate this season and I hate RD even more.

Now, now, Aurora..... 😉

On 5/9/2019 at 8:01 AM, laurakaye said:

are they at least getting fed on EOE?  We saw a segment early on that had a few of them climbing a giant hill for a scoop of rice.  They can't still be doing that every day, can they? 

Until the last return-from-EoE comp goes off, I expect that’s exactly what they’re doing.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

EoE seems like they literally said “ok we’ll have everybody go here and bring someone back at some point it’ll be really cool… then uhh…. We’ll keep sending people there and…. we’ll figure something else out I dunno yet” and then they just forgot and Reem is just still out there sitting on a log to this day.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Wow I can't believe how mich more and more annoying Devins gets each episode. And how annoying he is seems directly proportional to how much screen time he gets. I can't imagine watching him on the local news every night. And the local news people in my city are terrible.  

On the plus side there are some really attractive people left in the game.

• Love 1
On 5/8/2019 at 9:08 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I used to vocally admire Lauren's body a lot - her legs, etc. but she's lost a lot of weight and I think after some of your comments (like @JudyObscure) I'm starting to feel a bit sick about it all.  I agree with you, I think she is being exploited.  I think it's extremely discomforting that some of them are forced to just wear underwear.  I am seeing parts that I really don't need to see. I guess I can be glad that this is almost over.  Can we just @ the show on social media over and over again so that in future seasons they provide better clothes?  I don't know what to do.

I agree with the suggestion to provide better clothing. The men do not need to be running around in boxer-briefs so that countless people can make pervy comments about genitalia, and the women don't need to be swimming around in bras. Good looking people will still be good looking while wearing more modest clothing.

Also, all of the objectification of contestants on this site and others is a real turn off.

• Love 3