Type keyword(s) to search

S38.E13: Idol or Bust

• Start Topic

Spirits are lifted when castaways living “on the edge” read letters that they wrote to themselves before starting this adventure. Also, the final 7 castaways battle for immunity during a tough puzzle challenge.

Original airdate 5/8/19

(edited)

Tonight, on the Rick Devins show:

Everyone not named Aurora is an idiot.  Of course, Lauren wanted her out and Gavin wanted to side with her, so this can be an excuse to get the deed done.  But for real, they can not call themselves super fans, because if they were, they would have known that Mike Holloway pulled this same move during WA when he pretended he was going to save Shirin (in that case, she did end up going home).  So sorry Ricky boy, but you aren't original.  You're a Ben/Mike mash up.  I wonder if Julie realizes she’s only there because she’s absolutely useless and is the only one left that has zero chance to win.  Oh, and real super fans know that advantages, twists, and idols aren't done until TPTB say they are done (which is when their favorite is safe in the final 3).

I have no one left I’m rooting for.  I guess whoever comes back from EOE (yes, even Wardog or Ron).

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 14

If Lauren rolls her eyes any harder she is going to need another visit from the medic.

Aurora is very sour.  What did Rick ever do to her?

I forgot Julie was even there until they started talking about voting her out.

Only one more week?  I has a sad.

• LOL 1
  • Love 16

That totally sucked.

Apologies, I'm having a bad day, so I'm cranky.

Devins saving his idol made it worse.  Immunity win makes it worse than that.

I hate his obnoxious gloating.

Did Aurora say "piss on you" lol!

Gavin was right.  You're damned no matter what you do on that reward..

EoE letters to yourselves?  Reem is moved!  "It's come full circle". Oy.

Gag me with a spoon! Please! Make EoE extinct. 

So the Edge winner won't be back until next week.  Go Reem.  A big F you to this horrible season.

Screw this BS.  On to TAR.

• Love 23

Dude, I can't believe those idiots actually fell for Devens' obvious bluff. I was totally with Aurora when she called them out on falling for that reverse psychology. Hell Devens looked like he couldn't believe they fell for that. I have to tell myself that the vote switched to Aurora before tribal and they just didn't show it for the surprise element.

That for whatever reason, Gavin and Victoria decided the better move was to go for her. Because if that decision really was based on Devens' show at tribal council, then dammit, give the man the million because at this point, he's earned it. 

• Love 15

I forgot this was on and missed the first half hour. I'm glad Aurora is out. She has such a sour personality. I understand why, but it's not going to make her an endearing contestant. 

Glad to see the finale is on Wed not Sun. 

• Love 9

Wait, David has a girlfriend?  Could’ve fooled me!  

Predictable episode, predictable outcome, and yet, I’m okay with that.  

I think this is ridiculously late in the game to bring someone else back in.

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
(edited)

Extremely BORING episode, especially right before the finale. The only thing I got out of that is Devens is the overwhelming favorite to win, but I already knew that.  So I can't remember a more lackluster episode leading into the a finale. The letter segment on Extinction was a time filler because there really isn't much drama.

As he gets cockier and cockier, Devens' personality wears on me. I  want him to fall on his face in the final voting, but not sure who I want to win. Maybe Reem. That would be kinda great actually. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 11
4 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

Just when you think the Edge of Extinction couldn't get any more useless ...

Letters to themselves.

"Dear self, you're awesome. Love, self." Somehow, that sums the Edge of Extinction up perfectly.

I think it shows just how exciting it is in the actual game, when the best they can show in an episode is letter reading.

I knew Aurora was a goner 2 minutes in, when she said she wasn’t at the bottom anymore and had an alliance (and then Gavin crushed her hungry hopes and dreams).  People sure seem bitter not getting picked for rewards this season. 

I did laugh when Probst was blowing hot air during the IC and mentioning everyone’s names-and Victoria said “Jeff, I’m playing too.”

Anyone going to say they didn’t see Rick finding an idol?  And of course, the man who is back because of a twist (likely created to benefit anyone but him) wins immunity.  What happened to the days when people were out there hiding in the bushes and wouldn’t give their main target a moment’s peace if they knew they were looking for an idol?

Aurora: “I’m just hungry”.  Probst: “Gavin, Victoria, Lauren, go get a belly full of food.”  Never change Probst.

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I think it shows just how exciting it is in the actual game, when the best they can show in an episode is letter reading.

Exactly. They were stretching the episode.

• Love 3
(edited)

Wait, is this just a rerun of the season where Ben (I think) won simply because he kept finding immunity idols?

i don't think the group voted for Aurora because of Devins' obvious bluff. I think they jumped on board with Lauren's suggestion and voted out the more threatening player instead of Julie.

And yea, I'd love for Reem to win as I hate this whole season!

Edited by EllipticalAddicted
  • Love 13

I hope the Edge is cliffed after this season. How many people are on the jury? 30? 

If I had to write a letter to myself, it would be snarky and full of jokes about Jeff's blue shirts, love of macho guys, and bug hatred.

This is a weak season, and I'm tired of that broadcasting bs every flipping week. That said, a bad season of Survivor is still better than a good season of any other reality show.

Go Reem? 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, EllipticalAddicted said:

Wait, is this just a rerun of the season where Ben (I think) won simply because he kept finding immunity idols?

i don't think the group voted for Aurora because of Devins' obvious bluff. I think they jumped on board with Lauren's suggestion and voted out the more threatening player instead of Julie.

Agreed. Aurora was the second option that night anyway

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, EllipticalAddicted said:

I'm thinking that as well, which means the joke's on Devin's because he made it so they didn't get their hands dirty.  And now they know he has an idol.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, EllipticalAddicted said:

I think they jumped on board with Lauren's suggestion and voted out the more threatening player instead of Julie.

It's interesting, though. I don't think Aurora is liked enough to be an actual threat. I haven't actually understood it. Sure she's abrasive, but substantially more than anybody else? But for whatever reason, she's never going to gather enough vores. Julie probably has Ron, and she will turn on the waterworks and say she loves everyone blah blah blah. I don't think she'll win either, but she could steal a couple of votes. Aurora would be lucky to get one vote.

• Love 5
Just now, vb68 said:

It's interesting, though. I don't think Aurora is liked enough to be an actual threat. I haven't actually understood it. Sure she's abrasive, but substantially more than anybody else? But for whatever reason, she's never going to gather enough vores. Julie probably has Ron, and she will turn on the waterworks and say she loves everyone blah blah blah. I don't think she'll win either, but she could steal a couple of votes. Aurora would be lucky to get one vote.

It's the same thing as Devens though. Survivor's all about perception. If so-and-so is perceived as a threat to win the game, they're a threat to win the game. Aurora's been on her own for a long time, somebody who needed to win immunity at certain points to stay, so she gets credit for it. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I'm thinking that as well, which means the joke's on Devin's because he made it so they didn't get their hands dirty.  And now they know he has an idol.

I don't think that's as horrible as it sounds.  He can still play it and not get voted out next round.  So what?  What are they going to do about it?

• Love 17

Aurora and Reem need to team up and go on one of those shows where you kick the shit out of someone to win a prize.

This season has been too boring for me. I could care less about EoE or who comes back, or who wins. I’ve slept through the last 2 episodes before tonight and I didn’t miss anything, apparently.

• Love 5

I’m thinking the reason they had EOE this season was to save money. Stick the losers on an island and save money on all the perks they would have gotten at Ponderosa. 

The letters to self was so cheesey. I only half watched but I thought the cheesiest thing they did was to put someone on a big rock in the middle of the ocean to read their letter and film it from above for the best scenic view. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 14

Right now there are five.  To that they'll add one from extinction? 

Then reduce to a final three, all in two hours? 
Has Probst ever said the jury will vote on the final how many? 

• Love 1

I think Devens is fun and bright.  I think Aurora is not as smart as she wants everyone to think she is.  Her arrogance is why she isn’t well-liked IMO.  Totally agree with the frequent Lauren eye-rolls and the hypocrisy of her calling Devens a liar — shes lying too and come on, not being truthful is part and parcel of Survivor.  

• Love 18
1 minute ago, JudyObscure said:

The same person who writes "common phrases" like that for Wheel of fortune.

We saw her the last time he played, she's adorable.

Kill me if you must, but I like this season and I'm  enjoying the Devins show.  He's playing so hard and having so much fun!

I missed seeing David’s girlfriend last time.  Lucky couple then, because I think he’s adorable, too.

I agree with you on enjoying the Devens show.  Unpopular opinion, but I wouldn’t mind him winning.

• Love 23
6 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

but I thought the cheesiest thing they did was to put someone on a big rock in the middle of the ocean to read their letter and film it from above for the best scenic view. 

+1000

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

When was the last time the finale was 2 hours?  It’s been 2.3 for years now.  Then they add the preview for the next season. We barely see the cast at the reunion. 

• Love 1
(edited)

For me, the season officially died a week early tonight. If you loathe Devins like I do knowing he was safe in the first five minutes and knowing he's also going to be safe for the first vote next week just killed it for me. I'm so sick of this smirking, grinning childish idiot having everything go his way.

Now target #2-These endlessly reburied idols HAVE to go! There's so many of them now they've completely corrupted the essence of this game and on top of all that no amount of convincing will not make me believe that a cameraman isn't giving a nudge, nudge, wink wink at the producers behest because conveniently its ALWAYS the person who seems to need it the most who seems to find one in an endless jungle. No tin foil hat here...if it quacks like a duck...

Lastly, I was eating my chicken during the show and having a hard time cutting it, and I suddenly look up and ponder WTF am I watching....a ten minute segment devoted to people crying over THEIR own letter....people that went out weeks ago and one can barely remember....what the hell SURVIVOR?!

Have mercy...I"m dreading the Devins fest that will be the finale.

Edited by North of Eden
  • Love 21
8 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

I think the final episode always starts with 6 people left. 

• Love 1

Ugh, Devens has just become insufferable. In the beginning, I thought he was kinda charming in a dorky way, but he's become so arrogant. I really hope he doesn't win.

So I'm still a Survivor newbie, but here's my question: Everyone except Rick and Julie was gung ho to vote Julie out until they got to TC. Did Rick's will he/won't he with the extra immunity idol convince them that Julie was under his protection, so they voted out Aurora instead? It just didn't make much sense to me.

At this point, I think I want Victoria to win, but I'd be OK with Lauren winning. I've gone back and forth with Gavin (I'm a Southerner, so I know lots of people with his accent, and I've got a Southern accent of my own, but his voice is just like nails on a chalkboard to me), but right now I'm leaning toward the idea that he's a little bit of a snake. There's just something sketch about him.

• Love 5

One random thing that cracked me up in this godawful episode was at the challenge when Probst was doing his Probst thing yelling out how all the players were doing except Victoria and then she pipes up "I am playing too Jeff".  

• LOL 5
  • Love 14

At least it's almost over. At least Edge of Exinction will more than likely become extinct. And at least the EoE decisions have pre-empted Probst's "And That's One To Grow On" thoughts after Tribal.

Rick deserves the win. The others suck for not keeping tabs on him. Sure, we had the one woman (I really don't care about names at this point) talking to him, but I don't think she saw him peeking into trees for hidden Idols. I'll say the same thing about Rick like I did with Ben: if you don't at least try to prevent someone to find an idol after he/she played an idol? Not only do you deserve to lose, that person has every right to gloat. Is Rick annoying you with his "This Just In" interviews? Take it up with the other players.

The odds of the finale being fun are long. If Rick becomes the first player to win after getting voted off, I wouldn't feel like the show is broken . . . unlike the Redemption Island seasons. The others are just there . . . and I realize that if a woman wins, I wouldn't know her story because I haven't paid attention, and I could blame editing for that. The only person currently on EoE that could win is Reem. Think about it . . . on Day 39, most of the jury will have been on EoE for what feels like forever, and they would be bitter as fuck. And if Reem is there in the end, the collective thought could be reduced to five words: "Wouldn't it be funny if . . ?"

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

For me, the season officially died a week early tonight. If you loathe Devins like I do knowing he was safe in the first five minutes and knowing he's also going to be safe for the first vote next week just killed it for me. I'm so sick of this smirking, grinning childish idiot having everything go his way.

Now target #2-These endlessly reburied idols HAVE to go! There's so many of them now they've completely corrupted the essence of this game

All of this.  Bad memories of bad (rigged) seasons past....

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, LanceM said:

Please make it stop.  I can't stand another minute of the Rick Devens show.

Exactly what I was coming here to post!  On the plus side, it's not like I'm really rooting for anyone else though.  I guess the real question is why am I still watching?

• Love 12
24 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't think that's as horrible as it sounds.  He can still play it and not get voted out next round.  So what?  What are they going to do about it?

I think it takes some of the power and negotiating away from Rick.  While I believe the intent was to vote Aurora tonight (and if that is the case, I hope Victoria, Gavin or Lauren make that clear to the jury that his idol bluff did not influence their vote), they know he didn't play it for Julie and likely won't play it for anyone but himself if he doesn't have immunity.  So people don't have to worry about whether Rick has the idol; they can just go to plan b.  

• Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, leocadia said:

Exactly what I was coming here to post!  On the plus side, it's not like I'm really rooting for anyone else though.  I guess the real question is why am I still watching?

I am still watching because I have hope that Rick gets voted out in the finale and that Victoria or Lauren win the game. They are the only two I really like left in the game.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 9
24 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

“I’m  thinking that as well, which means the joke's on Devin's because he made it so they didn't get their hands dirty.  And now they know he has an idol.”

I don’t think it was bad for him at all. The jury doesn’t know that the others were contemplating voting Aurora anyway, so it looks like another big move for Rick.

No huge deal that they know about the idol (if they believe it’s real, Aurora didn’t think it was). They’re going to have to either cannibalize themselves or ditch Julie, who really is a prime goat. 

The sobbing over the prospect of letters they wrote to themselves was one of the funniest, most ridiculous things I’ve seen on this show. They know what they said a mere 35 days ago, it’s not like a letter from your younger self or something.

• Love 19

Aw. Aurora, I wish she hadn't been voted out. I was cheering for her. She took her elimination better than I thought she would. I wish the others would have called Rick's bluff and voted for Julie.  There was one part where Aurora reminded me of Jodie Foster.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, EllenB said:

I want my last several Wednesdays back.

Me too.  Yet how am I sad that this season is ending next week?

For someone that appears to be a designated winner, Rick is pretty arrogant, unbearable, and cocky.  Especially for a guy who was voted out once already.  I'd really love to know how someone becomes the chosen one from TPTB.

• Love 3

I don’t think they go as far as planting idols and telling players where they are. I never bought into the rigged conspiracy theories. 

I’m Team Devon, but must admit it would be pretty funny if Reem won the whole thing! 

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

I don’t think it was bad for him at all. The jury doesn’t know that the others were contemplating voting Aurora anyway, so it looks like another big move for Rick.

No huge deal that they know about the idol (if they believe it’s real, Aurora didn’t think it was). They’re going to have to either cannibalize themselves or ditch Julie, who really is a prime goat. 

The sobbing over the prospect of letters they wrote to themselves was one of the funniest, most ridiculous things I’ve seen on this show. They know what they said a mere 35 days ago, it’s not like a letter from your younger self or something.

I am not so sure about that. Rick talked about how if he gave Julie the immunity idol that Victoria-Gavin-Lauren alliance would get paranoid and start turning on each other.  This didn't happen. None of them looked panic at tribal council. We didn't see any talking amongst themselves after Rick reveled his bluff. No one got up to talk to each other like they have done too many times before. I am sure the jury noticed this too.  

• Love 3