Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E04: I Took Out a Polar Bear

• Start Topic

I know a lot of the people here wanted to see the Season 5 Colin, and I thought we're gonna see glimpse of that when they didn't bring the basket but they continue to amaze me with Zen Colin, so I'm really happy they won this round. Nicole and Victor not being sore losers after finishing second for the third time, good work!

I am a fan of the entertaining TV that both Janelle and Britney had during their BB seasons, so I'm still kinda hoping they'd make some mark in the race because at this stage, they're just, as Rachel would say it.. "floaters."

Regarding the ending, the Reilly sisters know how to really make drama but Elissa especially was very genuine when she greeted Corrine and Eliza. The Survivor girls, just really hated that they have to take all the shit they said about the Reilly sisters, and losing with them on the mat is the cherry on the top of an ice cream. Don't blame them for going out, blame being stupid for standing on the circular boat the entire time. 

• Love 7

Great to see Corrine and Eliza go out with zero class just like they showed on Survivor. 

Bitterness and tears are a really embarrassing combination.

At least they know the Reilly sisters respect them.  LOL.  I don't know if that was sincere, them just trying to be nice, or passive aggressive, in a "bless your heart" sort of way.

I don't think they will be missed at any of the post show parties and events.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, TheRabbi said:

According to Twitter, there was a head to head at the pitstop that was edited out. That could explain the order of the middle teams all getting shuffled (the editing around there was pretty spotty too). So I guess Corrine and Eliza had one more chance against Rachel/Elissa and didn't get it.

Shit. Really? HtH was one of the dumber parts of TAR30. Why bring that back? The teams waiting aren’t rewarded for lengthy leads over trailing teams, and Phil isn’t as adept doing commentary as Probst.

5 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

I don't think the greeter was a little person; I think that was a child.  Colin has young children, so no wonder he enjoyed seeing her.  

Da'vonne, I could not stand for a minute.  But that's probably OT here, so all I can say is…interesting choice.

Dae isn’t as toxic as at least half of the Challenge cast, as least to me. And I knew that was a kid. I just thought she was close to Charla’s size, enough for me to think, “Hey, Colin’s veins aren’t bulging and he not breaking out the m-word. Good for him!” Now, if he and Christie run into anyone with the same accent as Mirna? Duck.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Squirrely said:

That was bad, even for Corinne. I already wanted her gone before the RB, but when she said Eliza didn't grow up in a trailer park so she didn't have experience with motor bikes, I wanted someone to run her over. Of all the fabulous women from Survivor, this is who we got? I know it was for the drama they'd bring and it almost makes me want to quit CBS entirely. Once the dimwitted BB sisters are gone (next leg, please?), I don't care who wins. 

This, this, this; times a million!   And that was after she bitched and moaned that the taxi driver was "trying to get directions from some 107 year old guy).   I guess in her world you have to be young to know which street something is on.  Honestly her whole attitude is not just entitled it's elitist and snooty and any other "I'm higher than you on the social ladder, better than everyone, nose in the air" descriptions you can think of.   I thought I wanted Rachel and Elissa gone but was cheering them to the mat in the end - sounds like I wasn't alone in that.

Both teams did provide the laughs though - Elissa saying she'll be good at the motorbike thing then taking off in a straight line, not even partly turning along that figure eight but just straight across it more than once was hysterical.  And Corinne and Eliza thinking they had to stand up in the boat was great.  Am I just as much of a mean girl as they are because I was happy the fell in?  Nope, gonna mark that one under Karma's a Bitch.

I don't remember the exact words but Colin said something about choosing Irritation as the challenge and how he would have failed it years ago but it doesn't bother him now.  And then....it actually didn't bother him, not the guys blocking and splashing them, not having to go back for the basket, nothing.  I find this so weird, I keep waiting for evil Colin to pop up and just blow his stack but he's just so pleasant now.  The guy is actually making me like him.

• Love 18
15 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

This, this, this; times a million!   And that was after she bitched and moaned that the taxi driver was "trying to get directions from some 107 year old guy).   I guess in her world you have to be young to know which street something is on.  Honestly her whole attitude is not just entitled it's elitist and snooty and any other "I'm higher than you on the social ladder, better than everyone, nose in the air" descriptions you can think of.   I thought I wanted Rachel and Elissa gone but was cheering them to the mat in the end - sounds like I wasn't alone in that.

Both teams did provide the laughs though - Elissa saying she'll be good at the motorbike thing then taking off in a straight line, not even partly turning along that figure eight but just straight across it more than once was hysterical.  And Corinne and Eliza thinking they had to stand up in the boat was great.  Am I just as much of a mean girl as they are because I was happy the fell in?  Nope, gonna mark that one under Karma's a Bitch.

I don't remember the exact words but Colin said something about choosing Irritation as the challenge and how he would have failed it years ago but it doesn't bother him now.  And then....it actually didn't bother him, not the guys blocking and splashing them, not having to go back for the basket, nothing.  I find this so weird, I keep waiting for evil Colin to pop up and just blow his stack but he's just so pleasant now.  The guy is actually making me like him.

Colin has really evolved in 15 years. I would hope so. LOL!!! Colin & Christie are playing a really quiet game and have been ahead of everybody thus out of any drama. They are 39 & 41 years old and seem happy to be in the race. I could see them in the Final 3. It's a long race but I think the odds are good for them.

• Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Corrine is just awful, always has been.  I wondered if her "I'm a super bitch and I don't care" act was partly a schtick, but I am getting more convinced it is just her.  She seems to think there is something noble in being an obnoxious ahole, owning it and leaning into it. 

I also thought it was funny that Corrine and Eliza assumed the the guy doing the "irritating" was an example of how to work the boat.  I guess they saw irritating, obnoxious behavior as normal. 

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • LOL 12
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Corrine is just awful, always has been.  I wondered if her "I'm a super bitch and I don't care" act was partly a schtick, but I am getting more convinced it is just her.  She seems to think there is something noble in being an obnoxious ahole, owning it and leaning into it. 

I never understood anyone wanting to be openly a bitch. Corrine was like that on Day 1 on her first season and wears it as a badge of honor. I've never liked her. I remember when she said she wasn't one of those reality people and had a real job. She might be have a real job but she's still a reality person doing Survivor twice & now TAR. I'm so glad she didn't win. Also, Eliza ain't no prize either.

• Love 17
1 minute ago, ByaNose said:

I never understood anyone wanting to be openly a bitch. Corrine was like that on Day 1 on her first season and wears it as a badge of honor. I've never liked her.

You beat me to it. Why do people delight in being a bitch?

Hopefully this is the last time CBS/TAR does this reality cross-over bit. It's like some of the teams are angling to pursue their reality-TV career as opposed to competing.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Tryangle said:

You beat me to it. Why do people delight in being a bitch?

Hopefully this is the last time CBS/TAR does this reality cross-over bit. It's like some of the teams are angling to pursue their reality-TV career as opposed to competing.

That said, I don't mind the cross-over. I watch all 3 shows and I know everyone. I'd be fine if it was all newbiews but in general I don't mind this season and cast. It was just basically Ruppert & Corrine & Eliza I could do without. I'm happy with the rest of the line up and will continue watching. There are actually other pairs that I'd love to be paired up for another reality cross-over but if it doesn't happen again I will be okay, too.

• Love 10

So happy to lose Corrinne and Eliza.  The Reilly sisters were practically eliminating themselves and Corrinne and Eliza still couldn't benefit.  So unusual for TAR to feature the Philiminated team sobbing after the fact.  Usually we see the team gracefully walking away.  This time, they stop 10 feet from the mat and just sob sob sob.  The editors must have really hated them.

I actually didn't mind Eliza.  She has provided one of Survivor's greatest moments with the "stick" comment.  And she was so genuinely thrilled when she passed the motorbike test.  I suppose however that any dislike of Eliza was overshadowed by burning dislike of Corrinne.

41 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

33 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I never understood anyone wanting to be openly a bitch. Corrine was like that on Day 1 on her first season and wears it as a badge of honor. I've never liked her. I remember when she said she wasn't one of those reality people and had a real job. She might be have a real job but she's still a reality person doing Survivor twice & now TAR. I'm so glad she didn't win. Also, Eliza ain't no prize either.

Corrinne has always been awful on TV.  She clearly delights in being portrayed as the villain.  But I think she is like that in real life as well.  I know someone who met her in real life in her capacity of her "real job" as a drug rep.  Her opening line as soon as she sat down was something to the effect of "I was on Survivor twice, so if you're thinking I look familiar, you're right".  She seems like a very arrogant and vile person.

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, blackwing said:

So unusual for TAR to feature the Philiminated team sobbing after the fact. 

They also showed that their talking heads were right there on the mat next to the Reily sisters where they could hear them. I give credit to Rachel for zero eye rolls.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
(edited)
36 minutes ago, blackwing said:

So happy to lose Corrinne and Eliza.  The Reilly sisters were practically eliminating themselves and Corrinne and Eliza still couldn't benefit.  So unusual for TAR to feature the Philiminated team sobbing after the fact.  Usually we see the team gracefully walking away.  This time, they stop 10 feet from the mat and just sob sob sob.  The editors must have really hated them.

I actually didn't mind Eliza.  She has provided one of Survivor's greatest moments with the "stick" comment.  And she was so genuinely thrilled when she passed the motorbike test.  I suppose however that any dislike of Eliza was overshadowed by burning dislike of Corrinne.

Corrinne has always been awful on TV.  She clearly delights in being portrayed as the villain.  But I think she is like that in real life as well.  I know someone who met her in real life in her capacity of her "real job" as a drug rep.  Her opening line as soon as she sat down was something to the effect of "I was on Survivor twice, so if you're thinking I look familiar, you're right".  She seems like a very arrogant and vile person.

Here's a funny "confessional" from Janelle & Britney about Corrine & Eliza. Apprently, they are very hard to manage and needed a lot of propping. Jeez! Corrine & Eliza are like in their 40's now, right? They really need to grow up. I know they won't but really.....

Edited by ByaNose
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

I started to wonder if they were expecting adulation and admiration and... it wasn't there.

All I got from Corinne and Eliza is that they were two people who came in trying to win, and were extremely disappointed in themselves. It gave Eliza's breakdowns an aura of reality, to be quite honest.

I am not sure why this place is criticizing them for being "bitches", I presume because they said they don't like Rachel and Elissa in an entirely straightforward manner. Especially Corinne, who said a lot less about them than Eliza this episode. Everyone who gathers here says x, y, and z are horrible on a weekly basis and we don't even know what happens behind the scenes. 🙄

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, displayname said:

All I got from Corinne and Eliza is that they were two people who came in trying to win, and were extremely disappointed in themselves. It gave Eliza's breakdowns an aura of reality, to be quite honest.

I am not sure why this place is criticizing them for being "bitches", I presume because they said they don't like Rachel and Elissa in an entirely straightforward manner. Especially Corinne, who said a lot less about them than Eliza this episode. Everyone who gathers here says x, y, and z are horrible on a weekly basis and we don't even know what happens behind the scenes. 🙄

Have you watched them on Survivor?  Eliza was just a bit crazy.  But, Corrine prided herself in being a bitch.   On her Twitter page she calls herself:

"That bitch from Survivor seasons 17 & 26 and The Amazing Race season 31."

Mean and nasty and proud of it is Corrine's brand.    

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Wow.  This was quite the episode!  All the challenges were great, but obviously the scooter course required some finesse.

Corinne almost redeemed herself (in my eyes) from that awful trailer park comment when she was so genuinely happy and proud of Eliza for finally finishing the course.  That was sweet, and I couldn't believe I actually got a little warm spot for her.  That obviously didn't last....  Now, I completely understand being irritated by the Reilly sisters, but that behavior at the mat was just embarrassing.  Did they think by whining and being drama queens they could convince Phil to eliminate Rachel and Elise instead?  I'm no fan of the Reilly sisters, but I really do think that Rachel was being sincere when she was telling them she respected them and that they ran a good race.  I also think it was rude of Corinne and Eliza to step on the Reilly sister's winning (well, not-losing) moment.  The epic eye rolling at Rachel and Elise's mat chit-chat with Phil, and their extraneous comments were just very, very poor sportsmanship.  Phil looked nonplussed and I could tell he was vibrating with embarrassment that the cute little girl greeter had to witness all this bad behavior.

Also?  Fat chance that Eliza and Corinne won't participate in any after-Race events.  Appearances like that are how they earn extra money.  They'll be there.  And they'll try to string out the drama, just to feed their brand.

Christie is going to have full on dreadlocks by the end of the show if she doesn't get a handle on her hair soon.  Maybe this is the season when they bring back the "shave the head" fast forward!

I loved Nicole's cheery encouragement over to Corey (I think) in the other boat as they were both sarcastically dragging each other for their performance as essentially ballast in the challenge.  That's the sort of thing I like to see.  Chris and Brett won me over in this episode too.  The footage and commentary of two large men in that tiny curricle was comedy gold.

Still rooting for Nicole and Victor, Team Fun, Corey and Tyler, and Pablo.

• Love 7
(edited)
27 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

I also think it was rude of Corinne and Eliza to step on the Reilly sister's winning (well, not-losing) moment.  The epic eye rolling at Rachel and Elise's mat chit-chat with Phil, and their extraneous comments were just very, very poor sportsmanship.  Phil looked nonplussed

I have a different perspective.  That was a manufactured moment by TPTB.  I think TPTB forced the Reilly sisters to stay on the mat and provide an audience for the last team to arrive being told they're eliminated from the race.  That was horrible, and almost a given that there would be some words spoken, given that tension has existed between the 2 teams since the start of the race. Almost 100% of the time that's a private moment between the last team and Phil.

When someone upthread mentioned a "head to head" that had been edited out, it didn't occur to me that you meant one of those stupid right-in-front-of-the-mat challenges that were introduced last season.  My tolerance for those changed based on how they affected a team that I liked or disliked.  But I have to say, if they put one at the end of a leg that included getting up in the wee hours of the morning, a task to get the first route marker, a road block, a detour, and finding a taxi twice on a hot, humid day in Vietnam, that was just cruel.  

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 3

I don't remember the "head to head" challenge.  Is this something used when two teams arrive at the mat at the exact same time?  Unless it's the last two teams, why would it matter?  Just let them both leave at the exact same time. 

Wow. That right there? Is why they should let BB and Survivor competitors stay in their own crap shows and not come stink up TAR!

With these two teams in a footrace for elimination, I knew *I* was going to be the winner of the leg, either way. But WTF happened that made for the hate? Did I miss something? Did the Reillys steal their botox?

11 hours ago, ImpinAintEasy said:

Were these really the best Survivor contestants they could come up with? I would have preferred literally dozens and dozens of other contestants to this bunch. 

A Survivor team of Russel and Coach would be better. And it takes a lot to make me feel that way, seeing much I hate that pair...

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I don't remember the "head to head" challenge.  Is this something used when two teams arrive at the mat at the exact same time?  Unless it's the last two teams, why would it matter?  Just let them both leave at the exact same time. 

Don't you remember the French fry race in the Netherlands last season?  Every team that gets there has to wait for another team to arrive and they go head to head.  Winner moves on to Phil and the mat.  Loser waits for the next team and they race again. It definitely affected placements in some legs, but I can't remember if it ever caused a team to be eliminated that wouldn't otherwise have been. 

• Love 2

As soon as it was down to Rachel and Elissa and Corinne and Eliza I knew the latter team were done for. They showed a preview of the season way back in Week 1 and there was a scene of the Reilly sisters that hasn't taken place yet. That's the problem with those "This Season on The Amazing Race" previews. You know certain teams will last until you see those scenes.

This is the second time Rachel has made an effort to apologize to another team only to have that team roll their eyes and call her fake. Now, granted: maybe Rachel is being insincere. But would you rather she just be rude? How is that better? Fake or not, when someone apologizes or pays you a compliment, and you roll your eyes at them and call them fake, it makes you worse than they are IMO.

• Love 16
14 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Don't you remember the French fry race in the Netherlands last season?  Every team that gets there has to wait for another team to arrive and they go head to head.  Winner moves on to Phil and the mat.  Loser waits for the next team and they race again. It definitely affected placements in some legs, but I can't remember if it ever caused a team to be eliminated that wouldn't otherwise have been. 

Thank you, Quilt Fairy!  I remember the french fry race, just didn't remember the "head to head" part.  By the way it was mentioned in this thread it sounded like something of a tie breaker when two teams got to the mat at the same time.  I had just totally forgotten about the entire concept.  Please don't take away my TAR Fan Club card!

A head to head on the motorbike challenge would have been interesting. 

So, it sounds like there was a third challenge that was entirely edited out then? 

14 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

So this weird thing happened: At the second commercial break, I saw the end of Survivor all over again, followed by Phil's "Last week on The Amazing Race..." and the footage that followed it. Just as I started thinking "OMG, I'm going to see the last 20 minutes all over again, and won't see the end of the episode," it righted itself and we were just where we should have been on TAR after all. This was on the Philadelphia CBS station; did it happen to anyone else?

I am on the Philadelphia station too and no it did not happen to me.

3 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I also thought it was funny that Corrine and Eliza assumed the the guy doing the "irritating" was an example of how to work the boat.  I guess they saw irritating, obnoxious behavior as normal. 

That was hilarious. "He's showing us how to do it.." I hope she cringed watching that at home.

Eliza's meltdown at the end showed that she has matured exactly zero in the many years since her first Survivor season. She was far less upset about being out of the race than at the fact that the girls who beat them took the high road in their parting words. I'm 100% sure the sisters were intentionally rubbing salt in the wound by being nice (they clearly had to hide smiles as Eliza sobbed right in front of them), but she could have accepted it graciously. Instead, she gave them exactly what they wanted and made herself look like a 15 year old girl in the process. 

I don't remember the exact words but Colin said something about choosing Irritation as the challenge and how he would have failed it years ago but it doesn't bother him now.  And then....it actually didn't bother him, not the guys blocking and splashing them, not having to go back for the basket, nothing.  I find this so weird, I keep waiting for evil Colin to pop up and just blow his stack but he's just so pleasant now.  The guy is actually making me like him.

I also feel certain that the Colin of 15 years ago would have ignored Christie's insistence that they go back for the basket. Credit to her for realizing that mistake before it cost them any more time.

There was a glimmer of the old competitor in the footrace with the other team and I feel sure that some of the zen is going to wear off as the race goes on and they get more sleep-deprived, but he's holding it together well for now. 

The funniest shot of the show to me was Bret sitting in the boat, grinning ear-to-ear and clutching the fish basket like Winnie the Pooh with a honeypot, while giant Chris towered over him rowing the boat. 

• Love 15

If there was an actual head to head cut out, or rather just more than happened between the teams that we didn't see, I'm sure we will hear about it.  As mentioned earlier in the thread, I did see Corrine recorded a segment for Nicole/Victor's podcast a few days ago so I suspect they will release that in the next week and talk about this episode.  Though I'm not sure I'd believe a one sided Corrine play by play.  But I've seen some other teams allude to that there was a lot cut out of this episode.

I don't know if I'm rooting for anyone specifically as yet this season, but I like ZenColin.  I didn't know old version of Colin, but if Colin hasn't broken by now I think he will likely remain ZenColin for most of the season.  He's already been in some stressful situations.

If I knew Rachel in real life, she would bug the crap out of me.  I don't think she's a hateful person though and I do find myself rooting for her sometimes.  Like I was 100% okay with the Reillys beating out the Survivor duo to the mat last night.

I'm not sure if Phil's general comments about the season count as spoilers (I don't see why they should), but I do remember reading in one interview that he said this season had more fighting between teams than within teams.  The way he phrased made it sound like most of the paired duos did pretty well keeping their cool with each other, but it was between teams where the drama flared.  Which definitely seems true so far. 

14 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Man, was that an overreaction by Corinne and Eliza at the mat, unless we had some incident edited out. Rachael and her sister might be somewhat annoying, but they didn't seem worthy of a rant like that. All the Reilly sisters did was beat them to the mat.

At least Corinne and Eliza didn't yell at each other. I never saw Corinne's Survivor seasons, but I liked Eliza during hers. She really was trying on a new persona here. Constantly fretting about how they were better than other teams while constantly not performing better than other teams did not suit them well.

At least all the Survivor teams will have a good amount of time to work on their bitter jury speeches.

After watching that elimination, I was wondering if something happened in the show that we didn't see.  But Rachel can't be that good of an actress, because she had the same confused look I had listening to the Survivor girls vent their spleen right there. Oh well. Rachel is alright with me.

• Love 8

I thought I was at the end of my rope with Rachel's whining and really wanted them out.....then Corinne made the trailer park comment and that was that.  I'm so sick of people who disparage others--be they people who live in trailer parks, or cab drivers, or old people.  They seemed to think because they had some edge because Survivor is a physically and emotionally draining game but the reality is that they sit around a lot with plenty of time to think.  The Amazing Race combines the exhaustion and physicality of Survivor and adds the element of thinking and making decisions on the spot all in foreign cultures. I just never understood their air of superiority about being on Survivor.  I still hate Rachel's cringe worthy voice--but she never gives up.  Also, I think she is sincere when she praised the other.  She became good friends with Ragan Fox who was her nemesis on Big Brother.  I think she's able to recognize it's a game.

I hope Colin and Christie win--if for no other reason than proving that someone can change.  I can not believe it's the same person.  loved how he interacted with the child at the end. 

• Love 13

I was impressed with Colin and Christie during this ep, too.  Old Colin would have likely argued with Christie about the fish basket and continued on without it, and then blamed Christie for not having the basket...  Total meltdown.  I am rooting for them!

• Love 5

I find this so weird, I keep waiting for evil Colin to pop up and just blow his stack but he's just so pleasant now.  The guy is actually making me like him.

Wait 'til they're in last place. Seriously, though - I'm not sure if the calmer, gentler Colin is a result of maturity and mellowing out, or if it's just that he's taken so much grief over the years for being an asshole he's being super careful trying to change his image. I'm not sure I like him better this way, though. He's kind of boring now. 

• Love 2

I have to say, I like Corinne and Eliza more than the Riley sisters, At least the former are honest in how unpleasent they are, while the later are just as unpleasent, but totally fake about it.

So I would have liked to have seen this turn out the other way around, but it's not like it hit a team I actually like. As long as the Riley's go out next episode I'm a happy camper.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Haleth said:

Wow, Corrine and Eliza are certainly charmers, aren't they?  

It was delightful seeing the two lagging teams race to the mat. Either losing was a win for viewers. 

Anyone else having Flo flashbacks with the round basket boats?

Yes to all of the above

• Love 1

I forgot to mention in my previous post the other thing that irked me in this episode, but he drama at the Amazing bath mat has overshowered it. Did anyone else notice how one of the other Big Brother girls rudely shoved another contestant at the beginning of the leg?

Either Janelle and Britney (I really don't care to distinguish between them.) shoved another racer out of the way at the snow place. You can see it right after Floyd dives into the igloo to retrieve a sled. I first I thought it was Nicole, but it was definitely one of the BB girls as they're bother wearing those purple tops and black tights.

1 hour ago, chaifan said:

Thank you, Quilt Fairy!  I remember the french fry race, just didn't remember the "head to head" part.  By the way it was mentioned in this thread it sounded like something of a tie breaker when two teams got to the mat at the same time.  I had just totally forgotten about the entire concept.  Please don't take away my TAR Fan Club card!

Don't worry. As I recall, almost everyone hated the Head To Head challenge, so you can be forgiven for not remembering, or actively trying to block out of your memory. While I came to view it as just another unpleasant aspect of TAR, I definitely don't want to ever see it return.

17 hours ago, TheRabbi said:

Good riddance to those two. I think there will be much less drama now.

According to Twitter, there was a head to head at the pitstop that was edited out. That could explain the order of the middle teams all getting shuffled (the editing around there was pretty spotty too). So I guess Corrine and Eliza had one more chance against Rachel/Elissa and didn't get it.

Did you mean an actual Head to Head challenge, or just more of a larger confrontation between the two teams?

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Wait 'til they're in last place. Seriously, though - I'm not sure if the calmer, gentler Colin is a result of maturity and mellowing out, or if it's just that he's taken so much grief over the years for being an asshole he's being super careful trying to change his image. I'm not sure I like him better this way, though. He's kind of boring now. 

I don't know.  I think we would have seen at least a little snark by now by Colin.  there's nothing--he's just staying mellow and seems to be enjoying himself.

• Love 3

I definitely think we didn't see something with the two final teams or some other ugly situation at the end.  Eliza and Corrine, while not angels and definitely dramatic, were really disproportionately upset over something, and I don't think it was just that they came in last and hate the Reillys. 

I wonder if there is any hint on social media (I don't follow any of these folks).

• Love 1

Did you mean an actual Head to Head challenge, or just more of a larger confrontation between the two teams?

I have to believe if there was an actual head-to-head challenge they would have shown it. They don't set up stuff like that and then not show it. They spent quite a bit of time on Corinne and Eliza's sour grapes, they know great TV when they see it. If there was more they would have found a way to work it in. They could have ditched the entire sledding sequence, for example. That was a stupid waste of time.

We also know from past experience the show isn't inclined to give Rachel any kind of favorable edit so I'm guessing Corinne and Eliza were even nastier than we were shown and it was edited out as a favor to them.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, spanana said:

Also I don't totally understand the Reilly and Corrine/Eliza drama.

I think it's one sided. Rachel may be annoying , but she's not mean and hateful. This is a one sided hatred and it's all on Corrine and Eliza's side.

• Love 12
14 hours ago, ImpinAintEasy said:

Damn, I was hoping they’d eventually have a leg where they had to drive a stick shift just to see Eliza’s reaction. 

and in a country where they drive on the left and sit on the right.

34 minutes ago, Special K said:

I definitely think we didn't see something with the two final teams or some other ugly situation at the end.  Eliza and Corrine, while not angels and definitely dramatic, were really disproportionately upset over something, and I don't think it was just that they came in last and hate the Reillys. 

I wonder if there is any hint on social media (I don't follow any of these folks).

My take is they've just built up a hatred and imagined rivalry with the sisters to epic proportions and it killed them to lose to them. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, spanana said:

I don't know if I'm rooting for anyone specifically as yet this season, but I like ZenColin.  I didn't know old version of Colin, but if Colin hasn't broken by now I think he will likely remain ZenColin for most of the season.  He's already been in some stressful situations.

If you haven't seen Season 5, I highly recommend it. It was a great season all around. Great cast of characters on that one!

• Love 8

the bottom line is that Corinne and Eliza expected to do really well on the Amazing Race.  They felt superior to the other teams.  When they didn't perform as well as others, they still found ways to blame everything and everyone but themselves.  They refused to believe that people they deemed "lesser" than they, were doing much better.  there's no shame in failing at the Amazing Race.  I couldn't do it--the sleep deprivation, culture shocks, etc., which is why I'm also in awe of those who are able to do it in a respectful, grateful way.

• Love 15

Corinne and Eliza's bad attitudes aside (seriously, they must be the most misanthropic racers to date), I'm in awe of the stamina of the racers as a group. Team Fun started racing at 2 in the morning, with everyone else close behind. Then the day just seemed to go on forever, with the final team coming in in what appeared to be late afternoon. 

They seemed to spend most of the intervening hours running endlessly with backpacks, looking for stuff, paddling, building, sliding, on and on. At some point they must have eaten and used the bathroom, but I don't see when they could have rested. 

I'm amazed at how many of them were able to stay relatively peppy and even-tempered, especially when they were starting to fall behind. Team Fun especially seems to have a bottomless pit of energy for running and silly dances. 

My hat is off to them. By the end of the snow sliding I'd probably be lying on the pavement in an exhausted heap, crying and asking for water and an Egg McMuffin. 

So I can forgive some crankiness and melting down, but not the outright nastiness and rudeness Corinne and Eliza showed. But I wasn't surprised. It was the old Oprah expression come to life. "When someone tells you who they are, believe them". 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I was impressed with Colin and Christie during this ep, too.  Old Colin would have likely argued with Christie about the fish basket and continued on without it, and then blamed Christie for not having the basket...  Total meltdown.  I am rooting for them!

Me too!  When he and Christie had a hard time getting a cab, I thought uh-oh watch out!  But aside from using the good old 'its an emergency' in getting a cab, they were fine.  Then the basket happened, but they handled that really well, and got first.  I am rooting for them, but I confess, I have been rooting for them ever since I knew they would be in this season.

• Love 8
Just now, watch2much said:

the bottom line is that Corinne and Eliza expected to do really well on the Amazing Race.  They felt superior to the other teams.  When they didn't perform as well as others, they still found ways to blame everything and everyone but themselves.  They refused to believe that people they deemed "lesser" than they, were doing much better.  there's no shame in failing at the Amazing Race.  I couldn't do it--the sleep deprivation, culture shocks, etc., which is why I'm also in awe of those who are able to do it in a respectful, grateful way.

All of this. Also, I really didn't understand why they kept talking like they were carrying the flag of all Survivor competitors to have been on this show and so their failure was some big failure on Survivor. Um, Eliza and Corinne realize that Rob and Amber, who were the first Survivor contestants to do The Amazing Race, came second in their original season right? So the Survivor flag is just fine without the two of them. And Brett and Chris are still in it and who knows how they will do in the end. 

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, watch2much said:

the bottom line is that Corinne and Eliza expected to do really well on the Amazing Race.  They felt superior to the other teams.  When they didn't perform as well as others, they still found ways to blame everything and everyone but themselves.

Really? What they said during the exit interview was that they gave their best, and it still wasn't good enough, and that they were disappointed in themselves. When they left the pit start, what they said was that they couldn't find a single thing THEY had done right in the previous leg. Can you point out where they blamed anyone but themselves for their own failures in the race in this episode? Maybe I missed that. They said they disliked R/E, and hated interacting with them at the pit stop.

6 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Have you watched them on Survivor?  Eliza was just a bit crazy.  But, Corrine prided herself in being a bitch.   On her Twitter page she calls herself:

"That bitch from Survivor seasons 17 & 26 and The Amazing Race season 31."

Mean and nasty and proud of it is Corrine's brand.    

And why should I have to watch Survivor or look at her Twitter account to ask what she'd done wrong in this SPECIFIC episode to get her the "bitch" tag? She supported Eliza during the RB. They powered through the detour. Their only complaints this episode were against their own work during the race, or against Rachel and Eliza. Does the "bitch" tag belong to everyone on here who complains on the regular about Rachel Reilly? Or do people pride themselves in throwing around that word now, just as much as Corinne likes it associated with herself?

Let's not pretend as if Corinne isn't essentially a reflection of the average RTV viewer when she's talking about RTV and the average RTV contestant. At least she's putting her face out there exactly as she might behind a screen name.

Edited by displayname
  • Love 2

So I was torn between wanting Rachel/Elissa or Corrine/Eliza out - got my wish either way.

The roadblock took me back to watching Jeremy/Richard/James all taking that test.  That was pretty tough.  And the detour tasks were good, although if one definitely seemed the better choice.  But if you were sufficiently detail-oriented, the water wheel could've been quicker.

Zen Colin is really starting to grow on me.  I could see maybe rooting for him and Christie, and I hated them during their original Race.  Well, mostly him.

18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And the round boats!  I love the round boats!

Memories of Zach literally carrying Flo and one of those round boats - bad times.  But I do love the boats.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

It was the old Oprah expression come to life. "When someone tells you who they are, believe them". 

A very fine quote, and worth remembering, but Oprah was quoting Maya Angelou.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, Special K said:

A very fine quote, and worth remembering, but Oprah was quoting Maya Angelou.

Thanks, I didn't remember that! It's something I've kept in mind and found useful and true for many years. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, spanana said:

I get that they don't like each other which is understandable on both sides, but Corrine/Eliza didn't go home because the Reilly sisters sabotaged them.

I think that had to do with the cab issue at the beginning.  Rachel had apparently already spoken to a driver and hired him.  Corrine & Eliza tried to take that cab, and Rachel wouldn't let them.  Apparently Corrine & Eliza decided that meant Rachel had stolen their cab.

16 hours ago, Richness said:

Otherwise, the wire walking cat was cool,

Omg, that cat was the bomb!

• Love 9