Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: The Bells

• Start Topic

56 minutes ago, shrewd.buddha said:

There are news stories floating around today that say GRRM has finished the books. I believe a release date has  been announced for the sixth.
Who knows for sure, tho.

Do you have any inks?  I haven't seen any news on this.  Thanks.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, sacrebleu said:

among the many missed opportunities in this episode was a shot of the actual Iron Throne-- being buried in rubble, or collapsing through a floor. Seriously guys. 

They did manage to work in Bran's vision of a dragon's shadow over Kings Landing.  Maybe next week they'l have a view of the throne room matching up with Dany's House of the Undying vision showing the roof broken and the place covered in ash.

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

This has been pretty much debunked by Ran over at westeros.org yesterday. 

It didn't seem very plausible. 

It would've been pretty funny though that GRRM was just waiting for D&D to flub their shot before dunking all over them. 

• Love 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, Maximum Taco said:

It didn't seem very plausible. 

It would've been pretty funny though that GRRM was just waiting for D&D to flub their shot before dunking all over them. 

No, it didn't. But GRRM did say that the writing was going really well lately (I think it was the red carpet premiere), so hope springs eternal. 

Edited by YaddaYadda
I can't spell "premiere"
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I have the feeling that the love scene we saw between Brienne and Jaime was mostly fanservice and it won't happen in the books, where he obviously respects her, but isn't attracted to her at all. His decision to go to Cersei after the NK is defeated makes more sense like that, imo.

• Love 4
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Lamima said:

Title is The Bells. Should be Hell's Bells.

I thought it was very Edgar Allan Poe-ish myself (apologies for the length but's sooo appropriate):

[Stanza III]

Hear the loud alarum bells --
                         Brazen bells !
What tale of terror, now, their turbulency tells !
          In the startled ear of night
          How they scream out their affright !
               Too much horrified to speak,
               They can only shriek, shriek,
                         Out of tune,
In a clamorous appealing to the mercy of the fire,
In a mad expostulation with the deaf and frantic fire,
                  Leaping higher, higher, higher,
                  With a desperate desire,
               And a resolute endeavor
               Now -- now to sit or never,
          By the side of the pale-faced moon.
                  Oh, the bells, bells, bells !
                  What a tale their terror tells
                         Of Despair !
       How they clang, and clash, and roar !
       What a horror they outpour
On the bosom of the palpitating air !
          Yet the ear, it fully knows,
                By the twanging,
                And the clanging,
            How the danger ebbs and flows ;
       Yet, the ear distinctly tells,
             In the jangling,
             And the wrangling,
       How the danger sinks and swells,
By the sinking or the swelling in the anger of the bells --
                  Of the bells --
      Of the bells, bells, bells, bells,
             Bells, bells, bells --
   In the clamour and the clangour of the bells !

Edited by Misplaced
spelling
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, maystone said:

Were we supposed to recognize that tall guy who was trying to rape one of the KL women? The guy that Jon killed? He was wearing a lot of armor,and he was a big guy; I assume he was one of the army of the North.

On first watch he looked quite a bit like Meryn Trant... which I guess would be apropos considering he wasn't above a bit of abusing young women.

How weird was it that they introduced that Strickland fella as the head of the Golden Company, he's pretty much a non-entity for several episodes, and in his 'major moment', turns into a craven and is unceremoniously dispatched.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Tryangle said:

On first watch he looked quite a bit like Meryn Trant... which I guess would be apropos considering he wasn't above a bit of abusing young women.

Didn't he get sent to the Wall some time ago and was part of the anti-Jon group?  Or was that only in the books?

(edited)
3 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

Didn't he get sent to the Wall some time ago and was part of the anti-Jon group?  Or was that only in the books?

That was Janos Slynt. Janos Slynt is executed by Jon.

Meryn Trant in the show was the dude Arya butchered in Braavos back in season 5, I think. And after that Jaqen takes her eyesight. 

In the books Trant is still alive, and as far as we know, he's not some child molester.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

Janos Slynt got sent to the Wall in both show and books. Trant went to Braavos and was killed by Arya in the show (he didn't go there in the books).

Edited by Tryangle
YaddaYadda is quicker on the draw
  • Love 5

What's up with the white horse at the end, that Arya gets on? Any thoughts to the meaning?

I thought it was Strickland's horse but that horse died (though could have been raised up by the lord of the light but I don't think so). There was another white horse with a dothraki right before that final fire scene in which Arya gets up from and surveys all the destruction around her (then the horse walks up). So I am guessing that's the horse. I kind of feel like it's saying a new Arya is leaving that city. With a new and good path to follow. No more revenge killing for her. She saw the light and knows what such revenge in one's heart can lead to. So I don't think she'll be the one to kill Dany. 

• Love 9
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Tryangle said:

How weird was it that they introduced that Strickland fella as the head of the Golden Company, he's pretty much a non-entity for several episodes, and in his 'major moment', turns into a craven and is unceremoniously dispatched.

It's another example of the show trying to take something from the books cause it was cool and ruining it be taking out all the cool stuff. 

The Golden Company has this whole rich history where they are secret Targaryen betrayers and then secret Targaryen loyalists. There is no way they would take a contract to fight Daenerys on behalf of Cersei. So the show had to pretty much neuter them. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 8
14 minutes ago, Tryangle said:

I don't think we were supposed to recognize the guy. We were supposed to get the dilema Jon was feeling at killing one of his own army (thus betraying his queen).

I kind of feel like the theme of this epi is an inner battle everyone has of good VS evil. Jaime was weak and went with the evil in him. Cersei as well. Arya seems to have seen the light and will go with the good. Dany said 'screw it' and went with the evil (as did Grey Worm). Tyrion always goes with the good and that has not, so far, been rewarding to him (will he change or stay the course). Jon has also always gone with the good....will he now go with the evil and kill his queen? And will that really be going with the evil?

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Lamima said:

I thought it was Strickland's horse but that horse died (though could have been raised up by the lord of the light but I don't think so). There was another white horse with a dothraki right before that final fire scene in which Arya gets up from and surveys all the destruction around her (then the horse walks up).

Dothraki horse, I think - no saddle.  Don't the Dothraki ride without saddles or have I misremembered that? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, bijoux said:

Does anyone have any clue as to who Varys was writing to in the beginning? It didn't even play a role in his death sentence so it feels like a weird dangling thread.

It was on a raven-sized little scroll, so maybe he was playing with the idea of making a general announcement to all of Westeros of Jon's superior claim over Dany, like Stannis did about the illegitimacy of Robert's children. What puzzled me more was him taking off his rings before leaving. Was it supposed to mean that he was willing his worldly valuables to the 'little birds' who would clean his room when he was gone?

3 hours ago, Misplaced said:

Well.  I'm thinking back on "justice and compassion" - we saw that with Hizdar Lo Boring or whatever his name was in Meereen (when he asked to take his father down from the cross and bury him), and we saw it with Jorah (he lied, she banished him, etc etc).  But I'm not sure we've seen it elsewhere?  Genuine question.

We saw it after a child was apparently killed by a dragon, when she chose to put her dragons - her 'children' - into a dungeon rather than risk them hurting other innocents. The dragons were her main source of fear and power, and she deliberately locked them up for fear of them harming people who ought not to be harmed.

It's funny, the show later has her say that locking one's dragons up is a terrible way to mistreat them and stunt their growth, and that this was what led to the Targaryens' dragons going extinct in the past. Maybe this was supposed to represent a change of heart on her part after her fiery defeat of the Sons of the Harpy at Mereen...maybe she'd decided that it was worth the risk of having her organic free-range dragons kill an innocent now and then to have her dragons healthy, powerful and happy with their mum.

Such a change of heart would have been helpful in signalling to us Dany's ultimate meltdown if it had been emphasized more. Like, say, have it happen in the North that a dragon injures a shepherd who foolishly throws rocks in a panic at a dragon when they start snacking on his sheep. Let Dany then off-handedly proclaim that anyone whose livestock is attacked by a dragon should allow it to happen and be compensated, and that anyone who attacks a dragon is at their own risk. This would show off Dany's new callousness in letting her dragons fly free, instead of making it a throwaway line that might not mean anything significant.

• Love 11
40 minutes ago, Helena Dax said:

I have the feeling that the love scene we saw between Brienne and Jaime was mostly fanservice and it won't happen in the books, where he obviously respects her, but isn't attracted to her at all. His decision to go to Cersei after the NK is defeated makes more sense like that, imo.

I dunno, he once had a moment of arousal while seeing her naked in the books,  and then felt shocked and upset with himself as it was so uncharacteristic of him. I really do think that he will die with Cersei in the books, though - probably strangling her.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Umbelina said:

Yeah,  I am furious about Cersei's death, and them not including the prophesy.  BS 

Technically, the prophecy was kinda fullfilled. Cersei died by a Cave-In caused by a younger sibling of Rhaegar. The prophecy never specifies whose younger sibling it is. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, Lamima said:

I don't think we were supposed to recognize the guy. We were supposed to get the dilema Jon was feeling at killing one of his own army (thus betraying his queen).

Agreed 100%. The Trant thing was just me at a glance. For Jon (and Davos as well), the turn of events had to be quite upsetting.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, SeanC said:

One of the surely unintended ironies of how this episode was created is that it makes Tyrion and Varys' two seasons of whining about attacking King's Landing entirely hollow.  Daenerys uses Drogon the way we knew she could from the Essosi seasons, as a precision-targeting weapon to lay waste to the enemy ships, fortifications, and armies, but with minimal damage to anything else noted.  The mass civilian casualties only begin once Dany deliberately starts randomly slaughtering everybody.  So if she hadn't wasted two seasons listening to Tyrion and avoiding attacking the city, in which time all the stuff that the writers are saying drove her mad happened, she would have won. 

Tyrion always feared the worst case scenario, hence the queen of ash comment . Even if she was able to take the city the way she did in the earlier part, she would've ruled by fear and ran into the same problems she did in Mereen. Who's to say those events don't make her snap sometime down the line?

• Love 4

ugh. While I enjoyed the opening attack on kings landing, breaking the gates etc, nearly everything after that was BS. Disappointed in how they wrote dany, even if they say they laid the groundwork for it, agree with all who say it wasn't earned.

Re: winter: It was snowing when Jamie left Kings Landing to head north and keep his promise to fight whitewalkers.

Varys deserved a speech, warning her of this outcome. No one did anything to stop her going crazy, because D&D wanted crazy. I do wonder if Varys's notes got anywhere, and was the girl trying to poison Dany or ? When Varys took off his rings I totally thought he was leaving them for a little bird, knowing his gig was up.

I was rooting for Jaime to break Cersei's neck, all those loving closeups of his hand on her check and neck. Then once it was clear they were trapped, no point I suppose. not very satisfying either way.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lamima said:

I thought it was Strickland's horse but that horse died (though could have been raised up by the lord of the light but I don't think so). There was another white horse with a dothraki right before that final fire scene in which Arya gets up from and surveys all the destruction around her (then the horse walks up). So I am guessing that's the horse. I kind of feel like it's saying a new Arya is leaving that city. With a new and good path to follow. No more revenge killing for her. She saw the light and knows what such revenge in one's heart can lead to. So I don't think she'll be the one to kill Dany.

With all the callbacks to season one this season, the horse reminded me of young Dany getting on her white horse that Khal Drogo gave her and starting out in her brand new life.  Maybe it will be the same for Arya, but with a better future in store.

Edited by domina89
clarification
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

There are news stories floating around today that say GRRM has finished the books. I believe a release date has  been announced for the sixth.
Who knows for sure, tho.

Sometimes I do wonder if HBO / D and D didn't lean on him to delay publication, thinking it would be better for their ratings/subscriber base.

Oh, and by the way: Tyrion killed Jaime, by setting him free. Think about that.

Edited by FemmyV
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Maximum Taco said:

He had a bunch of already rolled scrolls beside him too, so I assume he was sending them to multiple people. Probably all the high lords in the land (Robin Arryn, New Prince of Dorne, whoever is ruling the Reach etc.) and maybe a few others.

Presumably if Jon had accepted his overture and decided to press his claim Varys would have sent them out. Or maybe he was already sending them out and that'll bear fruit in the final episode?

Good point about planing to send them all over the realm. Although I doubt he'd have waited for Jon to make up his mind. Varys is more the type to blab and thereby twist Jon's arm into accepting the throne.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, FemmyV said:

Sometimes I do wonder if HBO / D and D didn't lean on him to delay publication, thinking it would be better for their ratings/subscriber base.

If it's true that D&D wouldn't sign for 10 seasons and that's why things are rushed right now then it doesn't seem like they have much power at all.  And who wrote that contract that allowed show runner to quit without repercussions.

• Love 1
(edited)

Also, WTF Jaime??? So, the man who killed the Mad King, the DEFINING moment of his life, to save Kings Landing, now says he never cared about the people? And goes back to Cersei? Really??? 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️And nice job humanizing Cersei AGAIN, after she murdered an innocent black woman last episode for no reason, and vilifying Dany.  Great job. David and Dan really love their favorites.

Edited by GraceK
  • Love 12
9 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

If it's true that D&D wouldn't sign for 10 seasons and that's why things are rushed right now then it doesn't seem like they have much power at all.  And who wrote that contract that allowed show runner to quit without repercussions.

D and D only wanted 6 seasons, hbo forced a seventh on them as they were trying to stretch out this series.

Also d and d do you want to concentrate on the common folk or Arya? Make up your mind fools

14 hours ago, Umbelina said:

More like the writers wanted to give Lena another emmy scene.

YUP!  I wanted her tortured, flayed alive, preferably killed by Sansa or Arya for all the hell she put them through, or someone else with a life ruined by Cersei. 

Fuck this Romeo and Juliet crap.

When was watching Dany torch the city, what I was hoping would happen would be Dany zooming over to flame her into a Krispy Kritter right where she stood. I would have enjoyed that a lot more than her reunion with Jaime, who should have stayed with Brienne.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, FemmyV said:

There's no way imo. It's not like they ever felt pressure because of the ratings.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

Well, if they blew the budget in 8.3, they tore it up, stomped all over it, ground it to pulp, then peed on it in this one.  It was spectacular in terms of cinema, thrilling to watch, suspenseful and terrifying.  But I too was disappointed in some of the plotting.  We've watched Dany learn to rule for 7 years.  She made mistakes but learned how to temper authority with justice and compassion.  This episode?  Never mind, just burn it all down, including all the innocent inhabitants of the city.  Weren't we supposed to be rooting for her?  Wasn't she supposed to be the answer to Cersei's tyranny?

No, she's also a woman. We were foolish to think they were being set up in opposition to each other, the villainous female ruler vs the just one. The answer is clearly going to be a man.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Lamima said:

What's the point of the 3 eyed raven....why didn't he foresee any of the KL stuff?

Didn't he? He got it all jumbled and out of order, but I thought there was a sequence where he sees Drogon over KL intercut with Aerys yelling "burn them all!"

• Love 4

Watching the Inside the Game episode, it makes sense why King's Landing looked so different. They had to destroy it, which they couldn't do in Dubrovnik, so they built KL on a backlot. They also constructed it with the destroyed parts first so that they wouldn't have to build two. It's a really amazing feat.

I definitely think, even though the writing has been terrible, the production, directing, and acting for this episode was top notch.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, DigitalCount said:

Didn't he? He got it all jumbled and out of order, but I thought there was a sequence where he sees Drogon over KL intercut with Aerys yelling "burn them all!"

That leaves out a whole lot. And he didn't use that info to help the way he helped in the war with the NK. I guess he is not concerned with who sits the throne and only concerned with walking dead kings wanting to kill him!?!?!?!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Some random observations, having read through the thread:

I'm in the Mad!Dany is unearned camp, although I like the idea of it, just not the execution. If Arya decides to take on one more assassination for the road, I'm warming to the idea of her being named the Queenslayer.

I thought the sudden ability of Dany/Drogon to figure out how to avoid getting shot was sort of ridiculous because there didn't appear to be a reason for it. And how busy were the smiths and engineer-types? Because they sure managed to assemble an amazing number of anti-dragon artillery in a short period of time.

I think they have written Jon into a dead end. He couldn't have been more ineffectual. I can attempt to understand where his head might be at -- he's still reeling from having risen from the dead, he now knows his true identity/parentage (and realizes his girlfriend is actually his aunt), and he very likely did not believe for one second that he/they were going to survive the Army of the Dead.

So, I can forgive him for being unable to think on his feet in recent weeks. But, that's just something else we weren't shown. How much time would it have taken to show him deferring to others on strategic decisions, acting confused and unable to concentrate, or just plain confiding in Davos that he was D.O.N.E.? I mean, I think he could have used an extra couple of weeks to recuperate more than anyone else, but alas.

Cersei/Jaime was just the worst. And I wasn't terribly moved by Tyrion/Jaime either. It was more stupid decision-making by Tyrion. I get that Jaime in the show treated him better than Jaime in the books, but Tyrion's loyalty to and love for his family doesn't make much sense. I can understand those feelings for House Lannister in the abstract and for this version of Jaime in the flesh, but I can't understand extending those feelings to Cersei.

Clegane Bowl was fan service. Yes, I said it. It went on too long, and it was improbable that Sandor got in as many licks as he did, considering that Zombie!Gregor couldn't actually die by stabbing. But I liked how it ended. Seemed fitting.

I'm curious to see how Jon, Davos, Tyrion and Arya are going to interact with Dany after this. Jon in particular -- who tells the truth, who graduated from the Ned Stark Academy of Right and Wrong (school colors: black and white, of course), who would swing the sword himself if he sentenced a man to death, who is a man of his word -- is going to struggle mightily with this mess. I really hope Varys put some plan into action before he died. Otherwise, I don't understand why he burned the one note, when it looked like he had multiple scrolls when we first saw him writing, or why he left his rings behind.

The little girl Arya was trying to help (along with the girl's mother), was holding onto a toy white horse. When Arya surveyed the fallen, after almost being crispified herself, she saw the body of the little girl still clutching the toy horse. Then, an actual white horse rolled up. Not sure what they were trying to say there, but ::handwaves:: magic!

Edited by freebie
  • Love 10
9 minutes ago, freebie said:

I thought the sudden ability of Dany/Drogon to figure out how to avoid getting shot was sort of ridiculous because there didn't appear to be a reason for it. And how busy were the smiths and engineer-types? Because they sure managed to assemble an amazing number of anti-dragon artillery in a short period of time.

The show didn't flesh it out and also they rushed it, so once again they look like idiots.

Rhaegal was wounded, and could barely fly.  The Scopions were a surprise.  (Which, come on!  She's flying!  She didn't look for the Euron Fleet or danger?  More piss poor writing, like the idiotic battle plans that made Tyrion and everyone else look like fools, but hey!  Blockbuster moments!  Great cinematography!  COOL CGI!

Drogon is stronger, bigger, smarter because he never wasted away in dungeons like his siblings.

5 hours ago, Helena Dax said:

Oh, I think it will happen in the books, and I think it will be AMAZING.

Jaime in the books is an amazing character, not just the "make Lena look great" crutch he is in the show.

Jaime has remained faithful to Cersei all these years.  For him to break that?  IS HUGE.  It's massive for him, and such growth.

These writers turned it into a shipping throwaway.

After all, the only one that matters to them is Lena.  Oh, and Peter.

4 hours ago, screamin said:

I dunno, he once had a moment of arousal while seeing her naked in the books,  and then felt shocked and upset with himself as it was so uncharacteristic of him. I really do think that he will die with Cersei in the books, though - probably strangling her.

They both sold the hell out of it, but honestly, I think Cersei is long dead in the books.  If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but she's not sympathetic in the books, she's a monster.  Her children are pawns in her game for power.  Tyrion and Jaime care more about her kids that she does.

The writers have given wonderful stuff to a wonderful actress, but not in service of the story.

3 hours ago, GraceK said:

Also, WTF Jaime??? So, the man who killed the Mad King, the DEFINING moment of his life, to save Kings Landing, now says he never cared about the people? And goes back to Cersei? Really??? 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️And nice job humanizing Cersei AGAIN, after she murdered an innocent black woman last episode for no reason, and vilifying Dany.  Great job. David and Dan really love their favorites.

Book Jaime is so complicated and amazing.  Show Jaime, while in wonderful acting hands?  So frustrating, and to me?  All to prop up Lena.

37 minutes ago, Kate47 said:

Watching the Inside the Game episode, it makes sense why King's Landing looked so different. They had to destroy it, which they couldn't do in Dubrovnik, so they built KL on a backlot. They also constructed it with the destroyed parts first so that they wouldn't have to build two. It's a really amazing feat.

I definitely think, even though the writing has been terrible, the production, directing, and acting for this episode was top notch.

I'll take good writing every single day of the year, and twice on leap year.

9 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

No doubt in the books, Tyrion will be muttering Where do whores go? when he watches Dany torch King's Landing.

Ha!  Yeah, I feel like Goldilocks.

This is too slow!

This is too fast!

I just haven't found my "this is just right" space between books and show.

• Love 13
(edited)

Someone elsewhere pointed out that after the murder of Varys and the death of Cersei, the only people left standing from the Former Royal Kings Landing Court are Tyrion, Sansa, Podrick and Bronn.  Joffrey, Cersei, Jaimie, Tommen, Sandor, Tywin, Varys, Olenna, Margaery, Loras, Mace, Littlefinger, Oberyn, Ellaria, Shae, Kevan, Roz.

It's really jaw dropping when you think about all the characters that have come and been dispatched within Kings Landing.

The most reviled and least powerful members of the Court managed to outlive everyone else.  

Edited by Advance35
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, Lamima said:

That leaves out a whole lot. And he didn't use that info to help the way he helped in the war with the NK. I guess he is not concerned with who sits the throne and only concerned with walking dead kings wanting to kill him!?!?!?!

The actor who plays Bran seems to think that the character believes that history should unfold naturally while he watches.

5 minutes ago, RobertDeSneero said:

The actor who plays Bran seems to think that the character believes that history should unfold naturally while he watches.

Except when the NK is coming to kill him.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Kate47 said:

I honestly feel bad for the production teams who put so much work into episodes 3 and 5, only to have the writing undermine them so badly that it distracted the audience from appreciating their work. Hopefully they’ll win some Emmys as a comfort. 

• Love 7
15 hours ago, jeansheridan said:

You mean the Targaryen thing? I've read for years people suspect he is a Targ. The way the dragons reacted to him, how much Tywin despised him, etc...I think it would be a stupid twist at this point. I was just playing with the idea of Dany being unable to.burn someone other than the Night King.

I think the not burning thing is specific to dany and connected to her hatching the petrified dragons eggs. 

So, I guess I missed something, or forgot something (I had to pause and leave for a few hours in the middle), but why exactly did those bells make Dany all murdery? The only possible explaination I can come up wwith is magical mind controling bells, but I doubt that was the intended eplaination...

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Miles said:

So, I guess I missed something, or forgot something (I had to pause and leave for a few hours in the middle), but why exactly did those bells make Dany all murdery? The only possible explaination I can come up wwith is magical mind controling bells, but I doubt that was the intended eplaination...

There is no explanation presented on the show. But I believe the showrunners provided their logic | explanation via the inside the episode vignette.