Type keyword(s) to search

Ask Dr. Ruth (2019)

• Start Topic

Ask Dr. Ruth chronicles the incredible life of Dr. Ruth Westheimer, a Holocaust survivor who became America's most famous sex therapist. With her diminutive frame, thick German accent, and uninhibited approach to sex therapy and education, Dr. Ruth transformed the conversation around sexuality. As she approaches her 90th birthday and shows no signs of slowing down, Dr. Ruth revisits her painful past and unlikely path to a career at the forefront of the sexual revolution.

Trailer:

Original release date: 5/3/19

• Love 1

I saw it and thought it was quite amazing overall. It seemed to chronicle Dr. Westheimer's life somewhat thoroughly and perhaps the most moving part of it was when she showed the photos, letters of her parents and a single embroidered washcloth that they'd given her. I mean, (considering that she was essentially a homeless orphan having to depend on others' charity in Switzerland THEN was sent to what is now Israel as soon as the war was over then emigrated to Paris then New York City- contending with a near-fatal bomb blast,  two ex-husbands and a small child before her final stable marriage), it's quite remarkable that she was able to preserve these rather impractical and easily damaged/lost childhood relics!  

The only negative I can mention about this film is that the person they hired to supposedly voice her as a child then young adult not only sounded nothing like her (with an oddly lower register) but had a far blander and even emotionless way of speaking that I can't imagine she EVER would have had (as stiff upper lip she may be re dealing with tragedy and sadness). 

Oh, it also had input from both her children and three of her grandchildren as well as many of her oldest friends in New York, Europe and Israel.  The closest thing that came to a criticism to her was when her son admitted being a bit bemused as a college freshman hearing his mother's voice echoed throughout his dorm via her radio show being popular with his dorm mates (and many others). Also, as outspoken and liberated as she may be re how others live their lives, I thought it was funny how she admitted that she didn't speak to her now middle-aged son for a time when she first saw him in an earring! 

• Love 3