Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: All In The Name of Love/S01.E02: Embargos and Ultimatums/S01.E03: It's Go Time

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

But Jenny has already spent several months in India with Sumit. It was mentioned Sumit bought Jenny a ticket to India, she flew there, and spent a few months there with Sumit and his family, then returned to the U.S. when her visa expired. 

omg, so perhaps Jenny is the grifter! Get some of that sweet overseas call-center cash.  She'll be in her 80's and he'll be 50's.  Who needs SS?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 11
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

But Jenny has already spent several months in India with Sumit. It was mentioned Sumit bought Jenny a ticket to India, she flew there, and spent a few months there with Sumit and his family, then returned to the U.S. when her visa expired. 

True, in fact, all the couples we've seen so far have met and/or spent legitimate time together offline.  Not tons, because then they wouldn't be on the show, but at least some real face to face time.

• Love 2
On 6/5/2019 at 1:39 PM, sasha206 said:

I agree.  I took it has she didn't want someone barely involved in her son's life and having to deal with that.  Not sure if barely involved is better than nothing though.

I don't know, I still don't think it is fair at all to give such an ultimatum like that, as "all in or all out" is VERY subjective. No matter how dumb, immature, whatever, the ex bf was, she doesnt decide who the kid's dad is. Unless the ex said that he completely wants nothing to do with the baby, which happened after her ultimatum. Now, poor kid is moving halfway across the world and will be given some ex con ex druggie stepda . I also have a feeling that he had a string of almost stepdads. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Lily247 said:

I don't know, I still don't think it is fair at all to give such an ultimatum like that, as "all in or all out" is VERY subjective. No matter how dumb, immature, whatever, the ex bf was, she doesnt decide who the kid's dad is. Unless the ex said that he completely wants nothing to do with the baby, which happened after her ultimatum. Now, poor kid is moving halfway across the world and will be given some ex con ex druggie stepda . I also have a feeling that he had a string of almost stepdads. 

I haven't figured her out yet.  She speaks well, seems intelligent,  loves her son, asks decent questions, has great family support... yet has gone full idiot over Ronald.

• Love 18

@alegtostandon congrats to the grandson, and his working hard for a good employer.

I'd advocate taking that college option, and when he gets out he could even be running multiple sites, or some other good gig.  Life at 21-22 and one's vision is different than 18, so he should, imo, build in the most options.

• Love 7

There are three things that concern me regarding the relationship between Jenny and Sumit.

1. Most marriages in India are still arranged. "Love marriages" are becoming more common, but a "love marriage" between an Indian man and a white woman twice his age IS going to be an issue, both for Sumit and Jenny and Sumit's family.

Arranged Marriage in India

2. The caste system is alive and well in India. Marrying outside your caste is a huge problem, also for the couple and their respective families. (This is true for Indians who live in the U.S. as well).

Even With a Harvard Pedigree, Caste 'Follows Like a Shadow'

Love Conquers Caste for This Couple, But Indian Marriage Traditions Continue in U.S.

The U.S. Isn't Safe from the Trauma of Caste Bias

3. The dowry system, while officially prohibited by law, is still widely practiced, especially in northern India. (Sumit is from Delhi - which is in the northern part of the country). Dowries are paid by the bride's family to the groom's family. Women have been killed ("bride burning", acid attacks, etc) when the bride's family has not fulfilled their dowry obligation to the family of the groom.

Dowry System in India

(Scroll down to "Types of Dowry Crimes")

Jenny mentioned something about Sumit saying he'd always protect her. But can he? If his family believes his actions have dishonored the family, and his marriage results in the remaining family members being "shunned" by their community, how can he protect himself and Jenny from anything they might do?

• Useful 7
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, TwirlyGirly said:

They showed her getting her passport in the mail, she cried. How did she visit India previously with no passport? Can you get a visa without a passport?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, iwasish said:

They showed her getting her passport in the mail, she cried. How did she visit India previously with no passport? Can you get a visa without a passport?

She had to send her passport in with her visa application. The passport then is returned with visa attached

• Useful 6
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, iwasish said:

1 hour ago, JennyMominFL said:

She had to send her passport in with her visa application. The passport then is returned with visa attached

Correct. A visa is a stamp in a passport. To obtain a visa, you present your passport, and receive the visa stamp. Jenny had to do that the first time she traveled to India.

What we saw in the episode was Jenny receiving the visa stamp in her passport for her *second*, upcoming, trip to India.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Kangatush said:

True, in fact, all the couples we've seen so far have met and/or spent legitimate time together offline.  Not tons, because then they wouldn't be on the show, but at least some real face to face time.

What is "legitimate time" though?  They have still spent substantive time in a long distance relationship.  It bodes better than the other 90DayFers if they have spent months at a time together.  But I think people in long-distance relationships tend to romanticize what it will be like when they are finally together and gloss over all those real, relationship breaking issues like criminal backgrounds, addictions, financial issues, child rearing/parenting issues.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, iwasish said:

Now that you mention it - didn't the passport w/visa come in a Fedex envelope?  And was just left in a mailbox?  No signature required?  Do embassies/consulates play fast and loose with passports like that?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Horrified said:

Now that you mention it - didn't the passport w/visa come in a Fedex envelope?  And was just left in a mailbox?  No signature required?  Do embassies/consulates play fast and loose with passports like that?

She may have signed for it at her door or picked it up at FedEx and they staged the scene by placing it in her mailbox.  Although I thought putting non US mail in a mailbox is a federal crime.

• Love 1

So, Paul in his hissy fit, which occurred after he berated his mother for not helping him financially, cancels his flight to Brazil and loses the full value of his ticket because "it's not fair!"  Shrewd move Paul.  Also laughed as he tried to guilt his mom into supporting his ENTIRE family rather than figure out how to support them himself.  Geesh, I am so over people having children and then expecting everyone else to pay for them/take care of them.  Too many of the Americans on all of the iterations of this show have to have co-sponsors.  Yet, the American government has a very low threshold for being able to sponsor someone into the country (in my opinion).  And, all of these Americans should know that there is a waiting period before the granting of the green card and being able to work in the U.S.  Back to Paul though, he sure has a temper when not getting his way...

• Love 9
51 minutes ago, Spike said:

Although I thought putting non US mail in a mailbox is a federal crime.

Used to be true, but UPS, FedEx and Amazon have deals with USPS.  They hand stuff off to each other all the time. I found it out tracking packages from my online shopping addiction.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Correct. A visa is a stamp in a passport. To obtain a visa, you present your passport, and receive the visa stamp. Jenny had to do that the first time she traveled to India.

What we saw in the episode was Jenny receiving the visa stamp in her passport for her *second*, upcoming, trip to India.

Thanks for the clarification!!

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, MajorNelson said:

@alegtostandon congrats to the grandson, and his working hard for a good employer.

I'd advocate taking that college option, and when he gets out he could even be running multiple sites, or some other good gig.  Life at 21-22 and one's vision is different than 18, so he should, imo, build in the most options.

Thank you,  MajorNelson!  I am very proud of him.  I have always told him,  just as I told my step daughter when she was his age,  to think about the other person they are affecting on the decisions they make..  The person they are going to be in 5-10 years. 

I had wondered about the Fed-Ex envelope in the  mail box too.  When we received our passports,  they had to be signed for. 

Edited by alegtostandon
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

There are three things that concern me regarding the relationship between Jenny and Sumit.

1. Most marriages in India are still arranged. "Love marriages" are becoming more common, but a "love marriage" between an Indian man and a white woman twice his age IS going to be an issue, both for Sumit and Jenny and Sumit's family.

Arranged Marriage in India

2. The caste system is alive and well in India. Marrying outside your caste is a huge problem, also for the couple and their respective families. (This is true for Indians who live in the U.S. as well).

Even With a Harvard Pedigree, Caste 'Follows Like a Shadow'

Love Conquers Caste for This Couple, But Indian Marriage Traditions Continue in U.S.

The U.S. Isn't Safe from the Trauma of Caste Bias

3. The dowry system, while officially prohibited by law, is still widely practiced, especially in northern India. (Sumit is from Delhi - which is in the northern part of the country). Dowries are paid by the bride's family to the groom's family. Women have been killed ("bride burning", acid attacks, etc) when the bride's family has not fulfilled their dowry obligation to the family of the groom.

Dowry System in India

(Scroll down to "Types of Dowry Crimes")

Jenny mentioned something about Sumit saying he'd always protect her. But can he? If his family believes his actions have dishonored the family, and his marriage results in the remaining family members being "shunned" by their community, how can he protect himself and Jenny from anything they might do?

Sumit"s family is disgusted by all of this. If an American mother disapproves of her 30 year old son marrying a 60 year old woman, an Indian mother will throw her son out. Indian parents are typically conservative, care greatly what their neighbors/relatives think, and a huge part of the culture is respect for elders. Hopefully Sumit will be able to afford a place of his own for him and Jenny. His granny fetish is wierd. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Horrified said:

I don't think so.  The last passport that I received came to me in the mail.  I didn't have to sign a thing.  

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Kroliosis said:

The planner seemed to really emphasize how much she had in CASH.  I would hope she had other investments they just didn't discuss.

Think of 52 year old Angela who flew to Nigeria to meet Michael.   She spent all her money.  No way she has any investments or money for retirement.

its sorta sad, really.

• Love 3
(edited)
53 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I don't think so.  The last passport that I received came to me in the mail.  I didn't have to sign a thing.  

Same here.  My new one came via USPS and I  actually forgot to sign it.  I was travelling last winter and the TSA agent just said, "Don't forget to sign it."  No biggie.

Jenny and Sumit:  Girl......You are older, your are white, you are not the girl his parents picked out.  Three strikes, you are out.  LOVE his buddies.

Paul.......Paul, Paul, Paul:  You OCD anal retentive weirdo!!  You chose to travel to the Amazon to chase Brazilian tail, now you are pissed at Mother for not supporting you?  I would have asked Paul to drop me off and ask to never talk to me again after that little rant.

Mormon guy and his Grifter Girl:  You want a Mormon girl who wants kids so you pick a girl who thinks Mormons are in a cult and doesn't want kids.  Way to go.  "My parents are going to be mad at me for moving to Equator."  No, asshole, they are going to be mad at you for sitting at their table, eating their food and straight up LYING to them, saying you are going to visit when you know you are staying.

Make Up Girl and Felon Man:  This is Sing Song New Mexico Girl and Angry Fighter Part 2. Hey!  At least his charges are not domestics!!  Isn't that sad  - that is the bar we now have.  Domestics would frighten me.  He is still a thief who stole from his mother.  His mother.   I would not marry him as you should not marry anyone two weeks out of treatment.  Make Up Girl - sleep with your purse under your pillow.

Jenny, Jenny, Jenny:  "What?  If I become and Indian citizen I can't get Social Security???  REALLY?"    60 years old, no assets and $6000 to your name.   Dang......

Edited to add:  Per Paul's salary:  I am not surprised at all as my ex husband (please note the key word here) made $33,000 last year.  Which is $15.80 and hour.  He is 57.  I know this as I saw it on our kid's FAFSA, plus......he told me, lol.  Just happy as a clam to be getting by.  At least he doesn't fly around the globe chasing 27 year old tail.......

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13
(edited)

One other thing I wanted to mention was the Social Security thing re: Jenny. First off, at 60, she is not eligible for SS yet unless she is a widow. (Widows can collect 71% of their deceased spouse's SS at age 60. They can collect that at age 50 if disabled).

Just for the heck of it, I went to the Social Security Administration's web site after searching "Can you collect Social Security benefits if you live in another country?" and you most certainly can. There are a few countries that the U.S. Treasury will not send payments to (North Korea and Cuba) and in a number of other eastern European countries:  Azerbaijan, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan, you can collect benefits but have to appear at the U.S. Embassy every six months. For all other countries, you can receive your benefits.

I used the SSA's tool to see if a person who was eligible for SS would receive their benefits if living in India and yes they would, so I have no idea what the attorney or financial advisor with the prominent religious symbol on his desk was taking about when he said he didn't think if she left this country that she'd be paid for that. 

Edited by configdotsys
  • Useful 9
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

i didnt have to sign,  neither did my husband or mother. They came via fed ex and were left in my mailbox

59 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

One other thing I wanted to mention was the Social Security thing re: Jenny. First off, at 60, she is not eligible for SS yet unless she is a widow. (Widows can collect 71% of their deceased spouse's SS at age 60. They can collect that at age 50 if disabled).

Just for the heck of it, I went to the Social Security Administration's web site after searching "Can you collect Social Security benefits if you live in another country?" and you most certainly can. There are a few countries that the U.S. Treasury will not send payments to (North Korea and Cuba) and in a number of other eastern European countries:  Azerbaijan, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan, you can collect benefits but have to appear at the U.S. Embassy every six months. For all other countries, you can receive your benefits.

I used the SSA's tool to see if a person who was eligible for SS would receive their benefits if living in India and yes they would, so I have no idea what the attorney or financial advisor with the prominent religious symbol on his desk was taking about when he said he didn't think if she left this country that she'd be paid for that. 

I agree, as a US citizen she could still collect but not until age 62, but let's face it, by that time this sh*tshow will be over.  We hope.  

2 hours ago, RichiesOlderBro said:

Think of 52 year old Angela who flew to Nigeria to meet Michael.   She spent all her money.  No way she has any investments or money for retirement.

I am just  perplexed by these people who fly all over hell's half acre and back again with zero money.  You are travelling across the country and you are going to sleep together off the bat?  I am not Prudy McPrude, far from it, but what if you want to slow your roll and stay in a hotel/motel/hostel for a few nights?  "I have no money!"  Look, my hubby (husband!) travel to Florida once a year to visit his mom.  I keep an empty credit card just in case and that is domestic travel with my legal spouse!!  Not that we are going to fight or anything, just in case....travel hiccups, unexpected night in a hotel, etc.   What if you show up at Foreign Fiance's house and he is Creepy McCreepy?  Or his family is?  You are gonna hang out?  Sure, I am 54 but frankly I was like this when was 24, lol.  (Never booked a flight overseas to snag a guy, though! Not my thing......plenty of dudes in Minnesota, thanks!)

• Love 14
1 minute ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I am just  perplexed by these people who fly all over hell's half acre and back again with zero money.  You are travelling across the country and you are going to sleep together off the bat?  

This drives me bonkers. Some of these people live in run-down shacks that are literally falling apart, they are unemployed, AND they have kids and yet have money to spend three weeks in the Caribbean at a resort? What? Why not spend that money on a sturdy decent roof over your head for you and your child? Oh wait, that's too logical. Duh, Hannah. 

• Love 16
3 hours ago, Lily247 said:

His granny fetish is wierd. 

So he catfishes Jenny with some model's photo. Certainly he saw her 60 ish photo . . . and then goes "I want her". 

Help me understand????

• LOL 11
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, sasha206 said:

What is "legitimate time" though?  They have still spent substantive time in a long distance relationship.  It bodes better than the other 90DayFers if they have spent months at a time together.  But I think people in long-distance relationships tend to romanticize what it will be like when they are finally together and gloss over all those real, relationship breaking issues like criminal backgrounds, addictions, financial issues, child rearing/parenting issues.  

I'm in no way saying they know each other really well and should have no qualms about going ahead.  It was more of the fact that the majority of these couples met in person, not only online with maybe one short vacation, before throwing themselves into marriage like the other 90 day-ers.

• Love 3

I'm really curious here. I'm sure you can collect  SS of you move to another country. I know several people who have retired to Mexico. But they have not given up their US citizenship. Does that make difference? What I have understood from those I know who have bought retirement homes in Mexico is that in order not to pay a higher tax on their retirement, they need to come back to the US for 30 days a year. Being it's only about a 4 hour drive, it's no issue. I would think Jenny would want to visit her kids & grandkids. 

Regarding the South African addict just getting out of rehab: Mr Tostandon did a 30 day in treatment program for alcoholism. We were told not to make any major decisions for one year. Included marriage, divorce, work related, even buying a home. There is a reason for this. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, alegtostandon said:

I'm really curious here. I'm sure you can collect  SS of you move to another country. I know several people who have retired to Mexico. But they have not given up their US citizenship. Does that make difference? What I have understood from those I know who have bought retirement homes in Mexico is that in order not to pay a higher tax on their retirement, they need to come back to the US for 30 days a year. Being it's only about a 4 hour drive, it's no issue. I would think Jenny would want to visit her kids & grandkids. 

Regarding the South African addict just getting out of rehab: Mr Tostandon did a 30 day in treatment program for alcoholism. We were told not to make any major decisions for one year. Included marriage, divorce, work related, even buying a home. There is a reason for this. 

You can become a citizen of another country and retain US. citizenry and collect all benefits due. The only way you lose citizenship is to formally renouce. Then you lose American citizenship.  A small amount of people do it and usually its because if tax issues. About 5000 people a year renounce citizenship. Its really rare. Being military, i know a ton of people who are now dual EU and US citizens, They collect retire, disability and SS benefits wile citizens of another country. Im actually considering and eventual move to Europe and would never relinquish my US citizenship

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree, as a US citizen she could still collect but not until age 62, but let's face it, by that time this sh*tshow will be over.  We hope.  

I am just  perplexed by these people who fly all over hell's half acre and back again with zero money.  You are travelling across the country and you are going to sleep together off the bat?  I am not Prudy McPrude, far from it, but what if you want to slow your roll and stay in a hotel/motel/hostel for a few nights?  "I have no money!"  Look, my hubby (husband!) travel to Florida once a year to visit his mom.  I keep an empty credit card just in case and that is domestic travel with my legal spouse!!  Not that we are going to fight or anything, just in case....travel hiccups, unexpected night in a hotel, etc.   What if you show up at Foreign Fiance's house and he is Creepy McCreepy?  Or his family is?  You are gonna hang out?  Sure, I am 54 but frankly I was like this when was 24, lol.  (Never booked a flight overseas to snag a guy, though! Not my thing......plenty of dudes in Minnesota, thanks!)

Amen!

I think 90%  of the 90 Day F's that try to bring their maters back to US are generally creepy themselves.  The American men and women tend to hold the green card over the head of their better looking prospective mates.  They love the control a green card has.

• Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, configdotsys said:

The mormon is a moron who is being whipped and taken to the cleaners, however, I will give credit to Evelin because she tells it like it is: I'm not coming back here again so if you want it to work, you have to move to Ecuador and learn Spanish and not be clinging to me to translate for you. And you need to work because in my culture, the man pays for everything. Oh, and I need to bring gifts to my grandmother, parents, 7 cousins and all the pigs that live on my street, so pay up. Oh, and cash. There's a spot to park. Give me money... And if you don't want to do all those things, then don't but things work work out then.

And this dolt does it all. The money for "property" and a "business" probably went the way of the money Nicole gave Azan for the make up shop. 

The woman moving to Qatar? Yeah, that guy is in love with her. Shades of Danielle and Mohammed there. 

If there were any other couples on this episode, I've forgotten about them.

And Evilyn told Mormon moron to learn Spanish because he can’t cling to her like the first time he went to Ecuador.  Sounds like she wants rid off him, but like gum on a shoe just won’t go away.  I guess Evelin hasn’t heard the saying “Treat ‘em mean, keep ‘em keen”.

Edited by Bunnyette
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Lol, I have family all over North America and we always stay in a hotel...much easier than putting up with family that rises with the sun!

• Love 10
(edited)
19 hours ago, Drogo said:

Mileage varies, but I think it's actually the smartest thing I've ever heard one of these boneheads say with regard to raising children.  "I don't want you to give my kid a complex and I'll forego $ support to keep it from happening" is a hard thing to say and often in the best interests of the child's emotional development if Dad's going to drift in and out- even if you get a little shitheel son/daughter who resents you for it later. 

Then she follows it up with "Let's go be with this addiction-riddled loser" and I'm back to zero smart things I've ever heard one of these boneheads say.  

16 hours ago, LucyEth said:

I guess lack of money prevented Paul from just shipping the extra items to Brazil.  

Pedro had to pay some nonsensical amount to ship that TV, like $1100 bucks.  

Paul would have almost been better off finding someone (trustworthy) who wanted to fly to Brazil for a visit or a vacation and paid their plane ticket to bring his stuff.

If you paid like even 1/2 the fare...or for like a one way ticket that's whats like $300-$400 bucks?  A little consolidation and everything goes into 2 containers and you pay $85 for each.  Someone going for a family visit or vacation isn't going to have to bring a ton of stuff and should be happy to only have to pay for a flight home. So a little under $600.....which is less than the ticket he cancelled for....reasons?

Maybe I'm starting to understand why he can't get a job making $26k/year.

Please no one give this fool any money on go fund me.  Generally please don't give any of these people money on go fund me, but especially not him.  

15 hours ago, Spike said:

She may have signed for it at her door or picked it up at FedEx and they staged the scene by placing it in her mailbox.  Although I thought putting non US mail in a mailbox is a federal crime.

Good catch!  I hadn't even noticed, I was so distracted by her histrionics.

11 hours ago, Spike said:

I couldn’t place who Jenny reminded me of and then it came to me:  Bruce Vilanch.

You're wrong for that 🤣

1 hour ago, Bunnyette said:

And Evilyn told Mormon moron to learn Spanish because he can’t cling to her like the first time he went to Ecuador.  Sounds like she wants rid off him, but like gum on a shoe just won’t go away.  I guess Evelin hasn’t heard the saying “Treat ‘em mean, keep ‘em keen”.

LOL, or as my friend once put it.."men love bitches and women love assholes"

Other than that, I absolutely think that is her current strategy.  He should take a hint before he becomes pig feed.

re: baby daddies

I generally agree with what you've said @Drogo, but I'd always say to take the money and insist on the money, even if the guy doesn't want to be involved.  

Children need love more than money, but they seem to be expensive, and even if you don't want to be involved, a child shouldn't go without because of someone's pride.

Set up a college fund, do something, but take that money.  I hate that a child would do without because of an ultimatum.  Just because you can wriggle out of the responsibility of involvement doesn't mean you can get off Scot free.  You can venmo that child support or you can send a bank check.

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 9
On 6/4/2019 at 4:59 PM, ava111 said:

Thats what I just said in different words just below your post. I'm not sure why she wants to become citizen of India. Its not worth it to loose the social security. I bet she can get work permit there without giving up her citizenship.

US allows dual, India does not.

15 hours ago, alegtostandon said:

I have always told him,  just as I told my step daughter when she was his age,  to think about the other person they are affecting on the decisions they make..  The person they are going to be in 5-10 years. 

GOLD!

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Mormon guy and his Grifter Girl:  You want a Mormon girl who wants kids so you pick a girl who thinks Mormons are in a cult and doesn't want kids.  Way to go.  "

Very clueless.  Unbelievable

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, RealReality said:

I guess lack of money prevented Paul from just shipping the extra items to Brazil.

But common sense would dictate that since he already paid for a plane ticket, which I assume was non refundable, that he would go and take two suitcase crates with him. Then buy another ticket down the road and take two more. Why just eat the cost of airfare? 

As Mother Pole said, when Pole gets mad or upset he doesn't think. I suspect that Mother Pole has seen lots of this type of behavior all of Pole's miserable life. After his temper tanturm in the lawyer's office and at the airport, I 100% believe that he was stalking women. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 22
On 6/5/2019 at 5:58 PM, Spike said:

His mom said a couple times that she could not extend herself financially especially now for reasons that he was aware of.   So maybe the family business had a setback or dad skedaddled.

Did they have a family business?? I wonder if that's being effected by Pole being on tv.....

On 6/5/2019 at 7:18 PM, seacliffsal said:

On the original show I am always surprised that the Americans don't look into what it really means to sponsor someone on the K-1 visa (as demonstrated by Chantal's utter disbelief that she's on the hook for 10 years for Pedro and all of the other gobsmacked Americans when they find out something they didn't pay attention to as they signed the paperwork...). 

Because people just don't read period. They only see what they want to see. 

I'm what I like to call a 'fine-reader".  I read everything. I read the fine print. I read the shit on the posters hanging in the bathroom stalls. I read coupon fine print. But the majority of the population just don't. 

19 hours ago, LucyEth said:

That would be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$   Shipping those anywhere just within the states is going to cost him hundreds of dollars. 

26 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

But common sense would dictate that since he already paid for a plane ticket, which I assume was non refundable, that he would go and take two suitcase crates with him. Then buy another ticket down the road and take two more. Why just eat the cost of airfare? 

As Mother Pole said, when Pole gets mad or upset he doesn't think. I suspect that Mother Pole has seen lots of this type of behavior all of Pole's miserable life. After his temper tanturm in the lawyer's office and at the airport, I 100% believe that he was stalking women. 

Because he didn't think he would be coming back and it sounded like it was a choice between his living supplies and baby supplies. I think he said a crib was in one of them?? 

9 minutes ago, Dmarie019 said:

Did they have a family business?? I wonder if that's being effected by Pole being on tv.....

Because people just don't read period. They only see what they want to see. 

I'm what I like to call a 'fine-reader".  I read everything. I read the fine print. I read the shit on the posters hanging in the bathroom stalls. I read coupon fine print. But the majority of the population just don't. 

That would be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$   Shipping those anywhere just within the states is going to cost him hundreds of dollars. 

Because he didn't think he would be coming back and it sounded like it was a choice between his living supplies and baby supplies. I think he said a crib was in one of them?? 

Yeah in at least one episode Pole was wearing a shirt that had the name of his dad’s business on it.

• Love 1

I think my new favorite person on reality tv is the friend of Sumit who was ready for his moment on camera and DELIVERED - his "THAT JENNY?", followed by just putting his head in his hands when Sumit said he wasn't going to tell his parents he was getting married was comedy gold. Keep him around forever.

I'm slightly disappointed there wasn't a crossover reenactment with former TLC show "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" with Tiffany, but I guess we can't have everything.

What I couldn't understand for the life of me was why Paul didn't take two of the bags with him, then use the money he was going to pay to overages for the other bags and give it to his mom so she could ship them. Even if it was going to be a little more, surely it's cheaper than losing the money for the ticket and having to buy a whole new one. 

• Love 13
32 minutes ago, Dmarie019 said:

But aren't there places to buy living supplies and baby supplies in Brazil? He is flying into Manaus, which is a city of 2M people. I suppose he probably doesn't have the money, but maybe his mom could return some of the stuff he bought and send him the cash and they could buy stuff. I just don't see how throwing away the plane ticket and the 2 bags he could have brought is a better option than going and making an alternative plan to get the stuff they need. When you travel, you have to be prepared for things to go wrong, then you deal with it in the best way you can. I don't think that cancelling a trip, unless he could get a refund on his ticket, was the best way to deal with not being able to bring extra luggage. 

• Love 7
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:18 AM, alegtostandon said:

It was at the end of the first episode where they show upcoming for the season.  He's sitting on a bench talking to someone & jumps up to run/stomp/flap away... It's hilarious! 

I finally had a chance to go back and see it.  It was worth it. LOL

run running GIF

This is literally what Pole looked like!!!!!! 

• LOL 16
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I think my new favorite person on reality tv is the friend of Sumit who was ready for his moment on camera and DELIVERED - his "THAT JENNY?", followed by just putting his head in his hands when Sumit said he wasn't going to tell his parents he was getting married was comedy gold. Keep him around forever.

I'm slightly disappointed there wasn't a crossover reenactment with former TLC show "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" with Tiffany, but I guess we can't have everything.

What I couldn't understand for the life of me was why Paul didn't take two of the bags with him, then use the money he was going to pay to overages for the other bags and give it to his mom so she could ship them. Even if it was going to be a little more, surely it's cheaper than losing the money for the ticket and having to buy a whole new one. 

AND, the policy isn't going to change when he buys a new ticket. 

He STILL won't be able to take all that shit with him on another flight and will have to pay additional money to get it there.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

But aren't there places to buy living supplies and baby supplies in Brazil? He is flying into Manaus, which is a city of 2M people. I suppose he probably doesn't have the money, but maybe his mom could return some of the stuff he bought and send him the cash and they could buy stuff. I just don't see how throwing away the plane ticket and the 2 bags he could have brought is a better option than going and making an alternative plan to get the stuff they need. When you travel, you have to be prepared for things to go wrong, then you deal with it in the best way you can. I don't think that cancelling a trip, unless he could get a refund on his ticket, was the best way to deal with not being able to bring extra luggage. 

With any normal person that could think rationally - yea taking the trip and taking what you could is probably the better option.  But Paul is neither normal or rational.  Its likely he could get a credit for the flight to use on another flight.  

Just now, RealReality said:

AND, the policy isn't going to change when he buys a new ticket. 

He STILL won't be able to take all that shit with him on another flight and will have to pay additional money to get it there.

Actually I think he said something about 30 days - like if he waited 30 days he could take as many as he could? Not really sure but I remember him saying something about 30 days. 

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, Dmarie019 said:

Actually I think he said something about 30 days - like if he waited 30 days he could take as many as he could? Not really sure but I remember him saying something about 30 days. 

Oh, I don't remember that part.  Its still silly, but it's not AS bad as paying for another ticket if you're going to face the same issue.  

Did we ever see the Indian guy who catfished Cortney (from the season where we first saw Paul and Karine, the one her Indian-American friend had to inform her was using pictures of a Bollywood actor)? I’m finding it strangely heartwarming to imagine that was Sumit first learning the dos and don’ts of deceiving his beloved white girls.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I read here before watching so I payed closer attention to a few things. Pole gives me the creeps and I usually fast forward his scenes, but listened to the call with the Customer Service Rep and this is what I took from it.  There was at least a thirty day embargo on the extra baggage and he was unable to ship it separately through any airline at that time. He had planned on paying for the extra cargo when he arrived, which is more forethought than I thought he was capable of having, so...nah, he's still too dumb to breathe.

If he waited until the end of the embargo he could pay for the extra cargo and take it with him. If he paid some company that is in the business of shipping cargo, he still would have had to make arrangements to meet that cargo to transport it to her home, which was required transport by ship at one point, and if it went by ship or something, there is no telling how long a difference it would be between when he first arrived and the other cargo arrived. He didn't want to try and figure out what was in which container while at the airport and since the rep said he could take all of it with him at a later date, he cancelled that ticket and received a refund less a fee. It actually sounded like he was discussing transferring the ticket to a later date but she couldn't ensure there wouldn't still be an embargo, but I'm guessing on that based on what I heard in the heavily edited conversation. Pole asked that the fee be waived because he couldn't afford it and didn't expect the restriction when he purchased his ticket but she must have denied him that resulting in him aggressively stating, "Just cancel it then!" like the CSR personally screwed him over. It didn't sound like it was completely non-refundable, but with it being last minute, there was a fee.

On Jenny and the financial adviser: We shouldn't fault the adviser for giving bad advice because the editing was so nonsensical that it's obvious his responses to her were based on different parts of the conversation and just cropped to get what Sharp wanted out of it. It sounded to me like she had been discussing her divorce and what retirement/Social Security benefits she may have from her ex and then he asks if she also had a 401(k) herself. It bounces to her currently working in a resort and the way it was said makes me think she had discussed a prior job accrued retirement or again was discussing her ex's benefits, but we only get to hear that she was working at a resort so that we would assume she didn't have much in a 401(k) or future SS benefits. 

When he asked about her plans regarding the SS, she said she was told to file for it before leaving the country and have it deposited in her account there in California(? where ever she lives). He then responds that if she renounces her US citizenship, he thinks she loses her Social Security. He didn't say for certain she did, but he either assumed she intends to renounce her citizenship or she told him she considered becoming a citizen of India, which would require it, and he responded to that statement, which we didn't get to see. It was probably after a discussion of her future employment plans while in India and her explaining how she could get a work permit or something we weren't privy to. It actually sounds like she DID do some research but that wouldn't make her look trashy enough for this show.

She probably only has $6000 readily in her savings account because she dipped into her savings when she was down there last time. The way the conversation jumped around, she was answering his specific question of how much she had in savings specifically because they had already discussed her other financial assets. She could have mentioned stocks, bonds, an IRA already and we were only shown her specific response to how much was in her savings so that we can laugh AT her for her stupidity. When she asked how long she could live there, it sounded like he told her a year, but who knows what that was actually in response to and even in India, I don't think $6000 would support her for a year. She was stupid enough to sign on to this shitshow so I have no problem believing her entire life savings is $6000 and she doesn't have but a few hundred in SS earned, but the financial adviser probably gave her good advice, we just didn't see it.

Sumit reminds me of Mohamed a bit. It was clear that Mo had an incorrect view of life in America and Danielle didn't disabuse him of it. He knew she didn't have a lot of money, needed a cosigner for the visa, and lived in a small two bedroom apartment with her daughters. He didn't realize she wasn't going to pay her bills and have the heat turned off during winter, which actually takes a lot because there are laws in place here in Ohio so that you can't have your heat turned off during winter unless certain things apply, which Dani managed to meet. She probably hadn't paid in several months and they cut it off right before the deadline for not being able to do so. In any case, neither Sumit or Jenny have come across as the scammers Dani and Mo are, but Jenny seems infatuated and Sumit is flattered that she has been so kind to him. Mo once said that he liked Dani for that reason. He would work long hours and when he got home, Danielle would be available to chat about his day. Mo screamed, "I'm a scammer!" and couldn't get any hits on his scam from women in Canada, where he wanted to go, so had to take what he could get. I actually believe he did appreciate Dani's conversations with him and that's where I think Sumit's like of Jenny comes into play. Maybe he has a blond and white or older woman attraction but he doesn't seem hateful or cruel yet. He did start off trying to catfish her, though, so eh.

• Love 5