Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: All In The Name of Love/S01.E02: Embargos and Ultimatums/S01.E03: It's Go Time

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

I believe that is the case for most folks. I had a  well to do friend who didn’t work ( at least for 30 years) but husband always made a large salary. They always had financial planners accountants etc.  When she was 62 they were advised to collect and not wait till husband was 70 ( he was maybe 68)  she got to collect according to his and sad but she passed away last year. It’s a gamble to wait till it’s going to be more. What amount of time do you have to have been married to collect on an ex ??  The thought of my ex now collecting on what I get because my husband also had a high  salary pisses me off because of all that he did not provide for our kids. 

Would it have made  sense to put her stuff in storage to see if he could come from India? Silly me thinking these folks are thinking. 

Not sure but I think you had to be married 10 yrs to collect off an exes SS.

In your case, I don’t know if your ex would collect on the SS amount that YOU would get if you chose to collect off your own earnings and not off of what you can collect off of your current husbands earnings.  It doesn’t seem fair if he would get an enhanced amount by virtue of you having remarried. If your current spouse has an ex that qualifies she can also collect off your husbands monthly stipend if it is greater than her own benefit. The amount your husband collects isn’t reduced due to his ex collecting. SS can be very confusing !!! So many variations and permutations!! Our government at work!!

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

Yay found the forum! 

Paul/Karine-  I’m Sorry but I have no sypmpathy for these two. ( and it’s not because of his criminal background,which is horrible in itself) it’s because they both are stupid for getting pregnant. Paul thinks 26K a year is impossible, I know college students who work part time and make more then that. You don’t make a baby,when you can’t even figure out how to legally live in one country together,and manage to survive with no plan at all. 

Also after all the miscarriages Karine really should have let her body have more time to heal. I only feel sympathy for the innocent baby. 

Jenny/Summit- I’m not understanding this relationship AT ALL. I’m way younger then Jenny (26) a guy lying to his family like that would be a huge turn off.  I don’t understand how at 60 she doesn’t feel off about it. I’m an adult,I have no reason to lie to anyone,especially my parents,when it comes to my life choices and I expect my husband who is 30 to do the same. 

Laura/Aladin- She’s in lust and he has nice teeth.

Corey/Evelyn- he acted like he was getting brain surgery or something. Over a few shots? Really? I kept waiting for the scene of him leaving the appointment with a sticker and lollipop.

your point about Jenny not feeling off about lying.  very insightful.  i would feel sad, that my person wouldn't share me with his family, and have to jump through hoops to not get caught.  she's kind of dimwitted, no?

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Drogo said:

If you're posting in this topic about the newest episode, your post will be (or has been) removed.

We can’t discuss an episode that has aired?  

(edited)
3 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

He has a thread for the newest episode (Big Expectations). I think he means to post under that thread, not this one.

Edited by Hannah94
  • Useful 2
(edited)
19 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

If you're posting about episode 4, Big Expectations you need to post in that thread:

Several posts were removed in this topic which is for episodes 1-3.

Edited by Drogo
Added URL
On 6/15/2019 at 2:49 PM, suziespend said:

I just don’t get how somemeat  actually believes nobody in his hometown, where it sounds as if everybody knows everybody and their business is going to get away with hiding wife Jenny from his parents. If he wanted to do that why didn’t he look to move further away?

His parents maybe more forgiving alter he puts a couple thousand dollars on the table that he has earned for participating in the taping of the show 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
On 6/17/2019 at 8:44 PM, Hellohappylife said:

Jenny/Summit- I’m not understanding this relationship AT ALL. I’m way younger then Jenny (26) a guy lying to his family like that would be a huge turn off.  I don’t understand how at 60 she doesn’t feel off about it. I’m an adult,I have no reason to lie to anyone,especially my parents,when it comes to my life choices and I expect my husband who is 30 to do the same.

Totally agree about the lying.  I would not want to be in any kind of relationship with someone who couldn't admit to their family or friends that they knew me/loved me, etc.  

About the living with his parents thing -- wasn't Jenny living with her daughter?  If so, maybe that's why she wasn't bothered?

• Love 1
On 6/11/2019 at 1:29 PM, TwirlyGirly said:

Is that the scene from "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" in which the kids burn down their house with their morbidly obese dead mother's body inside, rather than dealing with the difficulty/embarrassment of having her body removed from the home?

Yes

• Love 3
On 6/18/2019 at 2:10 PM, Drogo said:

If you're posting about episode 4, Big Expectations you need to post in that thread:

Several posts were removed in this topic which is for episodes 1-3.

Thanks for working so hard to keep all these forums in order. With all the various kinds of 90DF going on now, it's not easy to keep up. Plus, your avatar is nice to look at. 🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 6/19/2019 at 5:06 AM, NannyBails said:

Totally agree about the lying.  I would not want to be in any kind of relationship with someone who couldn't admit to their family or friends that they knew me/loved me, etc.  

About the living with his parents thing -- wasn't Jenny living with her daughter?  If so, maybe that's why she wasn't bothered?

Cost of housing in San Diego is higher than LA so that’s probably the reason for that arrangement. . Didn’t his friends or Summit explain a man lives with his parents till marriage then bride moves in with his family. Just like arranged marriages it’s their culture. I’ve been thinking how strange it must be to fall in love and feel that passion that goes with it in a culture that love only comes after years together. Passion doesn’t work in the equation. That’s what is strange to me. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

Cost of housing in San Diego is higher than LA so that’s probably the reason for that arrangement. . Didn’t his friends or Summit explain a man lives with his parents till marriage then bride moves in with his family. Just like arranged marriages it’s their culture. I’ve been thinking how strange it must be to fall in love and feel that passion that goes with it in a culture that love only comes after years together. Passion doesn’t work in the equation. That’s what is strange to me. 

I was thinking about arranged marriages.  We had friends from India, both techies, whose marriage was arranged, and the wife never understood my puzzlement over how she could marry someone she didn't know.  But I get it now.  She *did* know her future husband, maybe not as well as we know our future spouses here in the US, but it wasn't like "Married at First Sight."  Essentially, her parents and his arranged for them to meet eligible people of appropriate ages, education, interests, etc.--the parents as matchmakers--and usually the girl's parents invited the boys (I say "girls" and "boys" but we're talking late teens/early twenties) for dinner to introduce them to each other.  If they were interested in each other, they started dating.  If either of them didn't like the other, that was the end of it.  Sometimes parents had photos for their kids to look at.  But essentially what the parents did was arrange for their children to meet acceptable potential mates, and then it was up to them to decide what to do.  If the kids liked each other, they would be invited to one another's family parties, etc., and eventually go on solo dates.

I think about my thrice-engaged son and sigh.  I wouldn't begin to know where to look for an appropriate date for him, but other than that I think this kind of arranged marriage might be a pretty good idea.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

Cost of housing in San Diego is higher than LA so that’s probably the reason for that arrangement.

I'm probably misunderstanding something, but Jenny lived in the desert, around Palm Springs. Housing there is quite a bit cheaper than LA or SD.

20 minutes ago, BoomerRumor said:

I'm probably misunderstanding something, but Jenny lived in the desert, around Palm Springs. Housing there is quite a bit cheaper than LA or SD.

You are right. I’m watching much too much reality tv. 

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, Mothra said:

I was thinking about arranged marriages.  We had friends from India, both techies, whose marriage was arranged, and the wife never understood my puzzlement over how she could marry someone she didn't know.  But I get it now.  She *did* know her future husband, maybe not as well as we know our future spouses here in the US, but it wasn't like "Married at First Sight."  Essentially, her parents and his arranged for them to meet eligible people of appropriate ages, education, interests, etc.--the parents as matchmakers--and usually the girl's parents invited the boys (I say "girls" and "boys" but we're talking late teens/early twenties) for dinner to introduce them to each other.  If they were interested in each other, they started dating.  If either of them didn't like the other, that was the end of it.  Sometimes parents had photos for their kids to look at.  But essentially what the parents did was arrange for their children to meet acceptable potential mates, and then it was up to them to decide what to do.  If the kids liked each other, they would be invited to one another's family parties, etc., and eventually go on solo dates.

I think about my thrice-engaged son and sigh.  I wouldn't begin to know where to look for an appropriate date for him, but other than that I think this kind of arranged marriage might be a pretty good idea.

Yeah- arranged marriage isn’t forced marriage of a girl child to a man old enough to be her father (that’s rape). When marriage is about social security, raising of children, having one’s need for partnered sex met in a socially approved way and the advancement of the family, arranged marriages make a lot of sense. I think in mainstream North American culture (if there is such a thing) it’s considered “tacky” to say “out loud” what you find acceptable in a spouse because it’s supposed to be about “feelings” and “chemistry” and “love”- yet people do it subtly every day. 

I think that Summit’s parents haven’t been able to arrange a match for him (for a variety of reasons) or he doesn’t want one. One is not OBLIGATED to get married. Usually if an adult child didn’t wish to marry, it was understood they would be the one to care for the aging parents. 

I am not getting a mortally corrupt vibe from Summit, but something’s up. Likely he and Jenny have an arrangement. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 6/6/2019 at 10:44 PM, configdotsys said:

One other thing I wanted to mention was the Social Security thing re: Jenny. First off, at 60, she is not eligible for SS yet unless she is a widow. (Widows can collect 71% of their deceased spouse's SS at age 60. They can collect that at age 50 if disabled).

Just for the heck of it, I went to the Social Security Administration's web site after searching "Can you collect Social Security benefits if you live in another country?" and you most certainly can. There are a few countries that the U.S. Treasury will not send payments to (North Korea and Cuba) and in a number of other eastern European countries:  Azerbaijan, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan, you can collect benefits but have to appear at the U.S. Embassy every six months. For all other countries, you can receive your benefits.

I used the SSA's tool to see if a person who was eligible for SS would receive their benefits if living in India and yes they would, so I have no idea what the attorney or financial advisor with the prominent religious symbol on his desk was taking about when he said he didn't think if she left this country that she'd be paid for that. 

Did she ever clarify what type of benefits that she was collecting? I assumed that if it was social security benefits, it was due to being widowed or some type of disability. However, more than likely it was  an early retirement and Jenny’s getting a small check each month.

On 6/20/2019 at 12:47 PM, athousandclowns said:

But does love and passion ever come? Arranged marriages are like a lottery. The couple may or may not fall in love. Best case scenario is that the couple is a good match and in time become comfortable with one another and eventually fall in love. Worst case scenario, the couple are so different and incompatible, they live ‘unhappily married’.  

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/29/2019 at 7:55 PM, Neurochick said:

I don't get any of theses people:  The woman (can't remember names) who wants to be with the man who catfished her; the woman who's moving to South Africa to be with a man who has a gambling addiction and has a record, he can't come to the US because of it; and then the Mormon with the woman from Ecuador.  These people, all they need to do is go somewhere, see the rest of the country.  Don't go to extremes and want to move to another country and marry a person you don't know.  

They are a sorry bunch, aren’t they?  Not to mention the one of them was nine months pregnant and had no idea. How stupid can you be?  The unfortunate part of this is that the latter one I mentioned has a son. Screwing up your own life is one thing.  However, when you have a kid, you need to get the head straight and not screw up the kid’s life.

I could not make it through the first episode. I don’t suffer fools gladly and they all fall into that category.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 2

It might not be a catch-phrase from the show,  but I'm kinda likin' the idea of a new 90DFTOW Embroidered Handbag with.... 

Front,  stitching in $USD Green: 

Forever 21...

Back,  stitching in Train Signal Red: 

...On Facebook!

Of course,  the purse itself will be of tanned leather.

• Love 3
On 5/29/2019 at 5:38 PM, BengalKitty said:

Mormon and Evelin.  I did like that she had no interest in his religion and said straight up to his parents she was told it was a cult.  Way to impress the in laws LOL. 

I had the same thought about impressing the in-laws!

• Love 2
On 6/4/2019 at 11:56 AM, TwirlyGirly said:

As do I!

When I get them, I navigate to their FB page and do a reverse image search on their photos.

Inevitably, one or more of the pictures will link to a "known scammers" site.

I then report their FB page to FB, and it gets taken down, usually within 24-48 hours.

Does it completely stop them? No. But it does slow them down. They have to set up a new page and seek out new photos to continue their scam.

I wish everyone would do this. I feel lots better knowing I'm doing something to put hurdles in their path, and it only takes a few minutes!

How do you do an reverse image search?

On 6/11/2019 at 8:44 AM, renatae said:

I couldn't believe that scene! Except for children under about 8 to 10, I've never had a patient act anywhere nearly like that, and I've had plenty who feared needles. Then he lays on the floor in a swoon for several minutes afterward! Cowabunga!

I absolutely hate getting shots and have feared them my whole life. Solution: close my eyes. Really, Cory- not that hard to problem solve.

• Love 4
On 6/11/2019 at 11:04 AM, lu1535 said:

Jenny's hair looked really sad by the time she got to India. She should have at least put it up or something so it didn't look so stringy and oily. And what was with her changing the pronunciation of Sumit? She went from Sum-it to Sum-ee. Did someone school her on Indian names on the plane?

Completely agree with everything you said.  AND I have heard Jenny pronounce Sumit's name in additonal ways, too:  Sum-MEET, Soom-mit, etc.  Baffling.

On 6/11/2019 at 2:11 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I was at Petrified National Forest, and not until I read this thing hanging on the inside of the bathroom stall did I realize I didn't know exactly what these petrified things I was looking at were made of.  Thank you, National Park Service.

The Park Service is rather clever, knowing they have a captive audience inside the bathroom stall and can thus educate their tourists!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

Completely agree with everything you said.  AND I have heard Jenny pronounce Sumit's name in additonal ways, too:  Sum-MEET, Soom-mit, etc.  Baffling.

Every time I have to enter something on a website, etc...and I have to hit SUBMIT I say it like Jenny would say Sumit.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

How do you do an reverse image search?

First, right click on the photo and save it to your computer.

Then, open a Google search page:

Screenshot_20190704-161431.thumb.png.e26b553bea18a4ca73d7d01a810a325f.png

In the upper right-hand corner, click on "Images":

Screenshot_20190704-161547.thumb.png.e809f78f27a8c6c53068d23f97e0e55d.png

Now, click on the camera icon in the search bar, then on the tab that appears that says "Upload an image":

Screenshot_20190704-161735.thumb.png.b22fbbd5dd0776349e82734318403a15.png

Click on "Choose file", and navigate to the folder on your computer in which you saved the photo. Find the photo, and click on it. It will upload to the Google Image search bar, and Google will present you with links to websites that contain the same image.

Easy peasy!

• Love 3
On 6/4/2019 at 4:17 PM, Spike said:

I thought the U.S. doesn’t allow dual citizenship.

Ressurrecting old post here..

US doesn't officially recognize dual citizenship, but you can still do it. My kids have it: US and UK.